Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the Chevy Volt Succeed?

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    You're assuming someone's income is consistent year over year. Many self-employed individuals or those that invest will see wild swings in income and if they buy one of these vehicles on a down year...they could lose out.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    edited March 2011
    From the customers standpoint the rebate at purchase is MUCH better than the tax credit with the unknown possibilities. I know I have a friend that bought a home expecting his tax credit to lower his high taxes. He got hit with AMT and will not get the tax credit.

The other bugaboo with the Volt are the prices offered being substantially more than the projected $41k. In San Diego there are 6 listed in the inventory of Edmunds with a starting price for a base model of $43,700 going to $44,695. That is getting up where you can buy a real nice car. :shades:
  • tonyanhtonyanh Posts: 1
    There's a rumor online about GM is coming out with 2012 Chevy Volt Convertible. Anyone know anything about this? Is it feasible to have an electric hybrid convertible?

The Volt sedan looks good, but I wonder how it would look without the top. It would be interesting to see.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    edited April 2011
    It might be interesting to see if the thing functions as advertised before we start tweaking the looks.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Volt picking up "steam?"

General Motors sold 608 Volts in March

General Motors sold 608 Volts in March, a small amount relative to larger brands, but more than double February’s tally. GM sold more Volts in March than it did in January and February combined.

For 2011, GM has sold 1,210 Volts. That figure is chump change relative to the 50,000 Chevy Cruze’s sold to date, but the momentum appears to be picking up. Here’s GM’s sales statement and PDF of March deliveries.

As noted before, GM is gradually launching Volt sales nationwide so there’s no need to panic about low sales figures yet. There may not be an accurate gauge of Volt sales until 2012.

Nevertheless, GM has to work through pricing issues for the Volt—a point that may be less of an issue as gas approaches $4 a gallon. As gas prices rise, electric vehicles look more compelling.

For now, the Volt looks like it’s the domain of early adopters. Persistent high gas prices may boost the Volt’s popularity over time.

Bottom line: Volt sales are headed in the right direction and the death watch can be called off for now.
    Bottom line: Volt sales are headed in the right direction and the death watch can be called off for now.

I would not count on that. It looks like the same 7 are in stock at our local dealerships as they were a week ago. I think people will wait to see if Congress makes the $7500 an outright gift as proposed. I get hit with AMT too much to take a chance on Tax Credits.
    I think ( and have said ) that anyone worried about that just needs to go with the $350 lease.

Affordable, and safe, and you can change your lease to a different car if you don't like the Volt.
    I cannot think of a single positive for leasing a vehicle, unless you can write it off to a business. It is a big rip-off and horrible interest. Now for the reality check. That $350 lease is IN FACT $430 per month. Read the Chevy promotion. $2500 down, $350 per month and $395 at the end of the lease. I was offered $30k cash for my pristine Sequoia last month. If I was to sell it my out of pocket for the 43 months I have owned it would only be $238 per month. I am sure leasing it would have been way over double that figure. Just no way a person can financially justify a lease without writing it off to a business expense.
    First of all, $430 is still not a bad price for a lease on a $41,000 car.

Secondly, leases are GREAT for trying out new technology. You might not want to own a Volt for 10 years and deal with battery issues, but 36 months? That's nothing.

The financial benefit of a lease? Lower payments than ownership.

If you're like me, and have had car payments EVERY MONTH SINCE 1991, then leasing a car is just a "cheaper" car payment.
    If you're like me, and have had car payments EVERY MONTH SINCE 1991, then leasing a car is just a "cheaper" car payment.

I guess I am not, I have not had a car payment for at least 15 years. I have better things to spend money on than give it to the bankers. With a lease you just don't see how much the bank is getting as easily as with a loan payment. You are still throwing money down the bankers toilet.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    And of course you don't smoke or drink nor spend your money on something I'd think stupid.
    Well, Gary, not many middle-class-or-lower families can afford to pay cash for a car.

Facts of life and all.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,141
    I cannot think of a single positive for leasing a vehicle, unless you can write it off to a business.

Only because you haven't compared the right circumstances. There are times when manufacturers are offering better leasing incentives than purchasing incentives and it is, in fact, the cheaper option of the two. Is it common? No. But it does happen.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Don't smoke but do have a drink now and then. :shades: In the news about the Volt:

“We’ve gone to significant efforts to make sure our dealers are trained, our technicians are trained and even our sales people are trained,” (Volt spokesman Rob) Peterson said. “We want to make sure we set the right expectation for all the new owners.”

Wait, what?

We’re doing all of this training to “set the right expectation for all the new owners?”

Most car purchasers have the expectation that their next car will run like every other car in which they’ve ever been.

Is this not the case with the Volt? What is the right (lowered?) expectation that 22,000 employees must be trained to set?

American consumers don’t want managed expectations – they want manageable car payments. The Chevy Volt – without any cash back from We the Taxpayers – costs a painful $41,000.

Which, by the way, is almost exactly what it costs GM to make it. Meaning it is a non-profit endeavor.

The Chevy Volt is not a business model – it is Government Motors engaging in ideological automotive farce.

In February, David Champion – senior director of Consumer Reports auto testing center – told reporters:

“When you’re looking at dollars and cents, it really doesn’t make a lot of sense. The Volt isn’t particularly efficient as an electric vehicle and it’s not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel economy.

“This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer.”

Government Motors Volt big flop
    There are times when manufacturers are offering better leasing incentives than purchasing incentives and it is, in fact, the cheaper option of the two. Is it common? No. But it does happen.

I will re-word my statement. I have never seen a lease offer that penciled out better than paying cash for a car. At least not in the last 20 years. I did lease a new Datsun PU in 1976 to get that smaller payment. Did not save any money. It was ok in the end as it was a real dud of a truck.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Since the Volt was in the making long before Government Motors how can you call it their vehicle. At least it is American made by Americans and the best part is the money will help our country instead of someone else. I just can't believe there are so many unamericans here.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    That read like it was written by someone with a political agenda. That indicates bias and that discredits the source. :sick:
    At least it is American made by Americans and the best part is the money will help our country instead of someone else. I just can't believe there are so many unamericans here.

That is where you are entirely wrong. The battery cells come from Korea. Those are the most expensive parts in the Volt. The Electric motors and controllers are from China. They are assembled here as a ruse to fool the American public. My Sequoia was 85% US content built in Princeton IN. Way more content than most Government Motors vehicles. My previous 1990, 1993, 1996, 1999 & 2005 GM trucks were mostly from Canada and Mexico.

Do some research, the Camry and Accord top all Domestics on US content. GM just shut down a factory due to parts from Japan being in short supply.

Only one GM vehicle makes the top 10 US made vehicles.

Rank
    Make/Model
    U.S. Assembly Location(s)*
    Rank in July 2009

1. Toyota Camry
    Georgetown, Ky.; Lafayette, Ind.

2. Honda Accord
    Marysville, Ohio; Lincoln, Ala.
    -

3. Ford Escape
    Kansas City, Kan.
    -

4. Ford Focus
    Wayne, Mich.

5. Chevrolet Malibu
    Kansas City, Kan.

6. Honda Odyssey
    Lincoln, Ala.

7. Dodge Ram 1500
    Warren, Mich.
    -

8. Toyota Tundra
    San Antonio

9. Jeep Wrangler
    Toledo, Ohio
    -

10. Toyota Sienna
    Princeton, Ind.
    That indicates bias and that discredits the source.

EVERYONE has a bias one way or another. That is human nature. It must be that the writer did not share your bias.
    Gary - c'mon, man.

Your source came from an op ed piece at biggovernment.com.

There's not much more bias that can be involved.

That's the same as me posting an op ed from treehugger.com.

See his point now?

Political Conservatives, who obviously HATE anything GREEN, are of COURSE going to hammer on the Volt.

That's not an objective opinion.