Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the Chevy Volt Succeed?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,677
    General Motors Co. announced the temporary suspension of Chevrolet Volt production and the layoffs of 1300 employees, as the company is cutting Volt manufacturing to meet lower-than-expected demand for the electric cars.

"Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand," GM spokesman Chris Lee said. The car company had hoped to sell 45,000 Chevy Volts in America this year, according to the Detrot News, but has only sold about 1,626 over the first two months of 2012.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Um, are you kidding? They are just rolling it out to new markets. And gas prices going up?

End of the Volt? Harumph..... :shades:
    edited March 2012
    So are electric prices. I say it is a last ditch effort. Nothing says they have to reopen 4/23. GM also said they may move mfg to China. GM says CA changed their rules. CA says GM extended their warranty. Who is telling the truth? And the $10k was only a passing thought. I would not count on getting the $1500 rebate on a Volt when and if they make it here. Half the money is gone and the Nissan Leaf has gotten most of it. Probably get the rest.

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-projec- - t

PS
    You can get a Leaf at near invoice now. With the two rebates at $10k less than $23k.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A reporter is looking to hear from Republican and Democrat consumers who want to discuss the Chevy Volt. If you are a Republic or a Democrat, and are willing to discuss the Volt with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than noon Pacific /3p.m. Eastern Wednesday, March 7, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    edited March 2012
    If that happens, remember this post. I will EAT AN ENTIRE VOLT, piece by piece, if this happens.
    You may have a hard time finding one to eat for a couple years, till they start dying. :shades:

My prediction, they will still be available made in China. GM already mentioned that months ago. Very convenient closing. They are mostly made in China anyway. May as well assemble them there.

After Receiving Bailout, GM May Move Volt Production to China
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    I'm bookmarking that one - not because I have any particular animosity toward the Volt, but I want to be there to film it for our InsideLine site. Plus, it'll get a MILLION hits on youtube.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Bring a case of BBQ sauce. I hear Lithium batteries are tasty with KC BBQ sauce. :shades:
  • I leased it today. I think lease is the better way to go avoiding hassle with tax rebate ...etc. Does anyone know if I can still qualify for $1500 CA Tax credit since I am leasing it? The dealer received 4 Volts yesterday, and it looks like I got the last one, so they are selling well for now.
    Did the dealer take the $7500 tax credit and reduce the lease? I did not think the CA AT-PZEV Volt was going to be available for about a month. Did the dealer guarantee it was an HOV qualified Volt? Only the new ones coming out are eligible for the Green HOV sticker. Hope you like it.

The catch is that you need to buy a 2012 Chevy Volt equipped with a low emissions package. These are being made available for Volt’s built and sold in the state of California. Keep in mind not ALL 2012 Chevy Volt have the low emissions package and will not qualify. GM only started to produce the Volt’s with low emissions packages as of February, and will start to deliver low emissions Volt’s in March.

If you are on a dealer lot and want to make sure the Volt you are buying will qualify for an HOV sticker, you can check the VIN number of the Volt. Look at the 5th position of the VIN for the letters (E, F, G, or H) For example, my Chevy Volt VIN number is 1G1RD6E4XBU100010. The 5th position is a “D” so it does not qualify for HOV lane privileges. Older Volts cannot be retrofitted to include a low emissions package so if you bought in the first year you are out of luck!
  • ighigh Posts: 60
    I am in the Bay area. Got the base with rear camera package - 200 below invoice and 0% for 60 months. Qualifies for 7500 federal and 1500 CA tax credit (correct VIN). Carpool sticker not
    important to me. Will be wife's car - daily commute 31 miles. Yearly 9000 miles. Hoping to get
    by on one tank per year. The electricity comes from my solar panels.
    The dealer cannot keep them on the lots - already pre-sold 3 of the 4 new CA ones allotted
    to him. If Chevy is having trouble selling the car elsewhere maybe it can send all of them to the
    Bay area :) .
    With solar the Volt makes more sense. I don't think the ones sent to other states have the same warranty. If they sell well in CA, Chevy will send most of the production there. Not sure where they are coming from with the factory shut down and all the people laid off. The 10 year battery warranty would be a big plus if I needed a car like that.
  • I have double checked VIN, and it was definitely CA HOV car (5th Digit is G). I drove it home yesterday (60 miles away), and it went 45.5 miles before gasoline engine kicked in...not bad. Car was smooth and drove very well.

I checked CA DMV site, and I have to wait until I have DMV registration card before I can apply for green HOV sticker.

US Bank uses $7500 to reduce lease rate. HOWEVER, (this is kind of strange) residual is increased by $7500, so it won't make sense for me to purchase the car after the lease because residual is very high. I think it was around $26000 after three years and 15K per year.
    I understand the leasing company getting the tax credit. Does not seem right they add it back on the end. As you say best to give it back to them after the lease ends. If you really like it after 3 years you may want to buy a new one. If you don't have solar and live where it would work, that would be advisable. CA utility rates are outrageous. Do keep us posted how well you like the car. Who knows how many people's thinking you may turn around on the car.
    I understand the leasing company getting the tax credit. Does not seem right they add it back on the end. As you say best to give it back to them after the lease ends. If you really like it after 3 years you may want to buy a new one. If you don't have solar and live where it would work, that would be advisable. CA utility rates are outrageous. Do keep us posted how well you like the car. Who knows how many people's thinking you may turn around on the car.
    The factory will close on March 19th and stay shut till Apr 23. The special CA Volt production started on Feb 6. Those Volts are currently arriving at the dealerships. The factory has a capacity of about 4000 Volts per month currently.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    edited March 2012
    awesome move with the solar-charged volt, iggy ! do you have a website showing maximally nerdly photos of components/systems involved in setting that up? is the car a big-dog with torque & power at real-world big-dog highway speeds? Or is volt really only good for commuting & around-town?
    Unfortunately I do not have a website yet but I am thinking of setting one up. My renewable energy project is much more ambitious than the Volt. I want to be energy independent in day-to-day living. My solar panel system is a 11.8KW standard grid tied system. It generates about 17000 kwH of energy every year. It makes my all-electric home net zero energy and then there is about 6000 kwH left yearly for the cars. The Volt will use up about 3000 and I have 3000 kwH remaining for the Ford Focus Electric which I will buy next. Looking forward to a life free from PG&E, Chevron and Shell. Now if only they could make the plug in hybrids flex fuel, then I could get rid of all fossil fuels once and for all.

About the Volt, it drives really well. Electric mode is buttery smooth with 0-60 about 8 sec. 0-30 is better than a 3 series due to the instant electric torque. The handling is excellent due to the low center of gravity resulting from the batteries. In gas mode with complete battery depletion, it is a bit sluggish at times but very quickly the generator builds up supplementary battery power and again you are good to go for those occasional high accelerations. You with hit 80-85 mph very often if you do not pay attention. The seamless drive train integration is a marvel of automotive engineering. No wonder it is car of the year in US and Europe. It is unfortunate that people trash this car for political reasons. This is what US innovation is all about.