Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota - Regular Cab

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Posts: 115
edited March 20 in Dodge
spokespersons...Here's your special area. Enjoy!

Bonnie Rick
Conferences Manager, Edmunds.com Town Hall

Comments

• Thanks Bonnie, I love it!

Mailman
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Jim, when push comes to shove, you regular cab owners are the only guys (or girls) to easily operate the rear slider. The club cab makes it necessary to be a contortionist, and we quad cabbers have to find a place to pull off the road. Not a very exciting subject, but it's a start. Good luck with your club section.

Bookitty
  • Sorry this took so long, but I hope to see a lot of activilty in here. It'll be interesting for sure. :-)
  • xena1axena1a Posts: 286
    Thanks Bonnie, Themacguy, Bookitty, et all. Hope to see this topic take off...

I've had my RC for a couple of months now. Just love this truck. I keep making excuses to drive it. Sort of like that new Honda commercial where the wife needs milk, the husband gladly volunteers to go get it, but brings back chocolate milk (on purpose) so then he has to make another trip to the market. That's me!!!

Thanks again...
    Tim
  • That's how I put 25k on mine in the 1st 8 months!
  • I will be out of the net for a couple of weeks backpacking and mountain bike riding in what Virginia calls mountains. Please keep up the posting in this area so we don't lose our spot.

Mailman
  • Has anyone been able to locate a cat-back system for the 4.7, Auto with a regular cab yet? All the systems I see are for Quads or Clubs, no RCs. I'm thinking of just getting a system for the Club as it can only be a difference in the intermediate pipe between the muffler and the cat. That I can make fit.

I was kinda leaning towards a Gibson as that's what I had on my 97 Dakota CC and I liked the sound, not too loud but not stock.

Any ideas any one?

Keith
    Can't say that I've seen any kits specifically for the RC. However, I'll admit that I haven't really been looking for one. The experience I had with a cat-back system on my previous truck ('99 Mazda B3000 4X4) was not a good one. Consequently, I've decided to leave my exhaust system stock. How was the system you had on your '97? Any performance gains/losses or MPG difference? Just wondering...
  • I also has a Jet Stage II chip, a K&N FIPK plus the Gibson and I can say that one could feel the difference, but is was only the V6. It needed all that just to keep up and still no better MPG than the V8.

I guess I'm looking more for the sound and the look of that 3.5" polished stainless tip. Just a little something to say 'I'm not stock'. I took out the entire stock air box assembly and fabricated a K&N Cone style for the intake, and now I need to open up the exhaust.

Well, I have a saws-all and a welder so I think I'm going to get the Club model and make it fit.

Keith
    Returned from you backpacking trip yet? Just wondering...
  • mailman54mailman54 Posts: 111
    Xenala: Just got back from my trip to the mountains. We hiked on several trails around the Mt. Rogers Virginia area and biked on several rail trails in the area. The trip was great fun except for the $87 speeding ticket I got. What a bummer! Going down hill on a 4 lane divided highway in 3rd gear with overdrive locked out and didn't see a 45 mph zone for construction. I was doing just over 60 using the engine for breaking but apparently it wasn't enough. Saw a higway patrol car coming the other way and hit the brakes immediately, but he said he clocked me at 64. Coudn't believe it was a 45 mph zone, there wasn't even any construction. Apparently they leave the 45 mph sign up all the time to catch the unaware. I wondered why everyone was going so slow and riding in the right lane. Obviously they were locals and new the score. Oh well, I guess they need someone to pay for the new highway! Other than that small glitch, the trip was great. I took the old 91 5.2 Dakota and it ran great, although I had to use the overdrive lockout a lot in the mountains.

Mailman
    Read in USA Today that latest JD Power survey had Dakota the 10th worst on survey. What a bummer! Must be all those club/quad cab owners complaining about their trucks. Regular cab owners don't have that problem!

Mailman
    Hmmm...I'm a little surprised at that. Didn't the Dakota fair much better in the two previous years? I know my RC has been great. Good interior build quality, decent exterior fit and finish. My only concern about the truck is that under certain conditions, the rear end can get a little squirly. For example, if I'm driving fairly fast and go over some rail-road tracks that aren't perpendicular to the road, the rear of the truck tends to bounce sideways a bit. I wonder if different shocks or that anti-sway bar would solve this. Any thoughts? Have you experienced this with your RC? Thanks...
    xena1a: Do you have any weight on the back? Mine was a little squirrelly before I put on my cap in back. Now only notice the bouncing when going over stutter bumps. I think the springs are a little stiff when not carrying anything in the back. I would imagine the anti-sway bar would help if it is actually bouncing sideways.
    All I've got back there is a bed mat and a bed extender. My Roll-n-Lock has finally arrived, and
    it will be installed next weekend. Perhaps a little additional weight will help. We'll see. Nevertheless, it won't stop me from enjoying this
    truck. It is such a pleasure to drive. It's like taking a little vacation every time I'm behind the wheel. At the end of the work day, I find myself anxious to drive it home because it is so much fun! Do I sound like a kid? Yeah, I guess I do...
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Jim, in earlier posts there were references to the
    "south end" dancing about. Some recommendations were related to air pressure in the tires, as the factory inflates the tires relative to carrying the rated payload. This is certainly the most obvious and easiest fix. If you haven't checked that out and eliminated this source, you may want to try it. If you have, this is of no help and I have exhausted my limited knowledge.

Bookitty
  • I too have noticed that the rear tends to 'jump' a bit if going around a slight turn and the rear wheels hit a bump. I have the Roll-n-Lock, the bed Xtender and a tool box in the back but it still has that slight side-ways motion. I hate to think of what could happen if I were to take the corner too fast.

I like to keep my tires inflated 35-38 lbs as it tends to reduce rolling resistance and heat buildup.

Keith
    Bookitty: Actually, it was xena1a that had the bouncies, but thanks. I run 35 lbs tire pressure in mine as I have in all my Dakotas and what DC recommends for my tire size and load. Mine rides pretty smoothly for the most part.

Mailman
    Thanks guys. I checked my tires this morning and
    they are a bit high - 40lbs. I didn't think to check this since getting the truck from the dealer. I'll run them down around 35lbs.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    (xena1a) One caution here.
    Read your owners manual about tire pressures. The 10.5 X 31 tires MUST NOT BE RUN AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS unless the tire PSI is high enough. Apparently these tires cannot dissapate the internal heat generated by the additional rubber-flexing caused by the lower PSI. This may lead to the tread coming off of the tire.... Dare I say it... the firestone syndrome!

Remember;
    Reducing the tire PSI will have a negitive impact on your MPG.
    On the good side... the ride quality will be improved with less PSI.
This discussion has been closed.