Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota - Club Cab

Comments

• mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    regarding traction. thank god for 4 WD or else I would not have gone anywhere this winter.
    Longevity on the RTS tires? My jury is still out as I only have 16K on the truck. I'll get back to you at 30K or so.
    I have always had good luck with Good year and even better luck from Kelly Spring field. Again I am referring to car tires, only experience with truck tires is with Junk stones (see my previous post).
  • namfflownamfflow Posts: 202
    The best tires for a Dakota IMHO are the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. Sure they are a little noisy but they stick to the pavement like glue in the dry and in the rain. If you have the standard 215/75-15 the 255/60-15 works well. If you have the 235/75-15 the 255/65-15 work well.

They are truck tires with the handling of a sports car tire.

Have the 255/60-15 on my 97. Once I get tires of the Wranglers on my 01 I'll be putting 255/65-15 Zeros on it as well. Anything else is just putting garbage on the truck.
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    I have dealt with most brands over the many years. My dad will never buy Firestones and after my experience with F/B, neither will I. I have never had any major problems with Goodyears and have gotten good life out of all my vehicles with them. My F150 got over 50K out of three sets of GYs and only 40K from Bridgestones. I still had tread, but the things were dangerous on the interstate. My wife has the TOL Firestones on her Shadow and they only lasted half as long as the factory GYs. I did not have good luck with BFGs in the 70s, but have heard they are better now. Kelly Springfields has a good rep, but I don't care for the ride. When I replace the GYs on our Q, I intend to try Michelins to try for better handling.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    Firestone tires. Just have a bad feeling and past records in my family do not inspire confidence.
  • greenogreeno Posts: 13
    Hope you guys can help. I have a 2000 Dak 4.7 with fulltime 4WD. Whenever I make a left turn and hit some bumps, I hear a clunking noise, not grinding, but mild clunking in that passenger front suspension. Won't do it when I turn right, just left. There is a TSB on this on NHTSA.com, but wondering if any of you guys have been having this problem up front and if you have, does the dealer fix it??? Thanks. CHRIS in VA.
  • bja4bja4 Posts: 67
    9500 miles on 2000 4x4 Club Sport Plus, and is super quiet everywhere. The only noise that is some-what weird is coming from the dash when turning AC on after leaving truck in the sun. A few pops in the plastic and the popping noises are over. No brake problems (one ton package), no transmition problems (5-spd), no towing problems (4.7L & 3.92 rear), no power electrical problems (Stripped except for Cruse), and no fuel millage problems (still 16-17 mpg)so far. I have owned other Dodge products, and have learned to keep it simple to avoid possible trouble.
  • I purchased a 2000 Dakota Club Cab 4x2 in June '00. This was my first experience with the Dakota since I had driven F-150 Supercabs for the past 15 year. I just do not need a full size pickup
    any longer. Since I did not want a true compact truck the Dakota was the obvious and best choice. I found SLT w/3.9 and auto and SLT Plus package for a very good price so I bought it. I have been satisfied with performance and mileage. I live in Oklahoma and have some hills and lots of wind. The 3.9 is adequate, but certainly not overpowered. In 22000 miles, mostly highway, I averaged 17.5 to 19.5 on highway (depending on wind) and 15.0 to 16.9 in town. That's not great but acceptable for a truck.
    I seldom pull anything so that is not an issue for me. Two weeks ago I was stopped for someone having car trouble and was rear-ended by a '98 Suburban at 40mph. Needless to say the Dakota lost that battle. I escaped with a few bruises, minor cuts and a sore back. I was impressed with the integrity and safety provided by the cab. I was told my injuries could have been far worse. I am now the owner of 2001 Dakota Club Cab SLT 4x2 with the 4.7 and auto with Plus package and a few other extras. I was on a short time frame and didn't find a large selection to choose from in this area. I purchased the truck for $100 over invoice with insurance proceeds. All this to get to my experience with the 4.7 so far. Nice truck with lots of power. Smooth running and smoother shifting than the 3.9. I checked mileage at 250 miles (all local) and it was 14.9
    mpg. I think that the mileage will equal or exceed the 3.9 as truck breaks in. If you are going to buy a Dakota look hard at the 4.7. I believe it is worth the extra money in performance and trade value on the back end. I will let you know how mileage does in future. I test drove a 2001 F-150 with 4.6. No comparison! The Dakota rides better, handles better and I can park it in my garage and not have to squeeze to get in and out.
    Has anyone tried a new throttle body from Hughesengines? If so, how does it perform?
  • shawnh2shawnh2 Posts: 13
    I also have a Dakota Club Cab with the 3.9L and auto transmission. I agree that the 3.9L is adequate but certainly not overpowering by any means. My truck is only about 11 days old and so far so good. I do some light towing (under about 3,000lbs) and feel this truck will do much better than my wife's minivan. I probably would have chosen a V8, however, choice on the lot seemed to be very limited. I am, however, satisified thus far.

Shawn
  • I want to the change the gear ratio in my 98 Dakota 318 from 3.55 to 3.92. Will this effect the speedometer? And is the ring and pinion gears the only gears I would have to change? Thank you for any advice.
  • rascalrascal Posts: 26
    You guys are pros...
    98 SLT 5.2L V8, Club Cab, loaded. Hard cover on the bed..60k miles
    is $10,500 a good deal for this? Truck belonged to my bro-in-law who just suddenly passed away. Car has had excellent maintenance.
    I would like to buy it if you folks think its a good deal.
    Please share your thoughts here or email me at:
    Thanks!

rascal2064@yahoo.com
    I paid $11,000 for a 92 Dakota Sport 4x4 back in 1996. The truck had the following: 318, bright package(chrome), Mopar off-road light bar, power everything, 3.92 rear end, split rear window, cruze, and 4 spd auto. The truck also had low millage at 32K miles.
    If the truck had 4WD, It would be worth it. 4WD holds its value a little better. I sold my old truck in 99 with 67K miles on it for $8200. It had $1200 worth of hail damage on it.
  • hairydoghairydog Posts: 44
    I have a 2001 with 5,000 miles and it is the only vechicle I ever owned that you can wash your feet while driving.

Compartment floods (passenger side).

Brought it to dealer and after two days of water testing they replaced Pillar in A-frame.

One week later carpet was saturated.

Brought it back and mechanics admitted thy were stumped?

Chrysler stated they are aware of the problem and said evaporator and evaporator housing has to be replaced along with my carpeting.

Of course these parts are not available and I was told it would take another week. In the meantime the cab smells, and the windows fog quickly and my grandchildren love playing in the water. All I need is to provide sand and pretend were at the beach.

What disturbs me why these certified mechanics didn't get it right the first time. Carpets clearly showed stains most likely chemical in origin.

Would like to know if AC fan is supposed to run continuously? Enjoy your discussions! Appreciate the advice.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Sorry to hear of your water woes. You did not specify but I assume that this flooding takes place while it is NOT raining outside? Are you saying that the drain for the evaporator is plugged up?

To answer your question about the AC fan... I need some more info...specifically WHAT fan are you asking about? Is there a fan under your dashboard that runs continously? The only fan I am aware of that runs ALL THE WHILE THE AC IS TURNED ON is the supplamental electric fan attached to the radiator. Is this the one you are asking about?
  • ahasherahasher Posts: 236
    that the A/C aux fan (electric) what you asked about? (bpeebles question post 338).. if so, I had to add that from recent personal experience the fan should NOT run ALL the time, as in after the engine is off. ;-) By the time I got the fan disabled, I had a melted fan relay and fuse box.. and a 2- week wait for a fusebox/wireharness transplant. My point.. watch that fan and check relays often .. I know of only 1 other post on stuck/burned fan relay.. so I guess I have the honor of bring it up to inform others.. and if you read back posts, bpeebles added good technical info on relays and wiring along the way...
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    hairydog: You may be right about the quality of the mechanics, but I suspect that the weather there has been rainy or at least humid. The problem sounds like the evaporator is not draining properly. If this is the case, there is no 'chemicals' to be in the water. The only way that there could be chemicals in the water is if the heater unit is leaking coolant. Since you have not mentioned your radiator constantly going dry, I would assume that this is not the case. There is a number of things that could be wrong or a combination of problems because we are talking complex mechanical systems.

We love to bad mouth the quality of mechanics, but the reality is that we try to encourage our kids to aspire to the 'good' white collar jobs and most kids today are wanting to get into a computer related job. As things get more complex, our best and brightess are being told that there is no future for them in being a mechanic or machinist. We are facing a severe shortage in these fields and it is getting ready to bite us.
  • gjblegjble Posts: 23
    I had a water leak on the passenger side of my ext cab 2001 a while back after a rain. A real flood inside. The dealer farms out water leaks but they sealed something ( They didn't say what or where) and I haven't had any problems since.They only had the truck one day. I thought at first that the AC was causing the problem but I am convinced now it was a genuine leak around the door area. Hope this is usefull.

In Atlanta
    Sorry gentleman, I should have been more specific regarding problems.

AC fan that I was referring to is the auxillary fan. It only runs (loud) when the AC is on. I believe Mr. Peebles has answered the question. Apparently I have never owned a vechicle with this setup.

Flooding problem occurs only when AC is running. Dealer literaly flooded vechicle with water to initially determine if external water (rain) was the problem. They (mechanics) decided the Pillar was defective and replaced it. Less than a week later flooding of floorboard was found by my grandchildren.

Stain on my rubber mat was clearly chemical in origin. I just scrubbed it off today. It caused my black rubber mats to turn ashen gray. I am assuming whatever is coming from the AC?

Yes I did check the radiator as suggested and it is static. No problem there.

Since I am not mechanically inclined or knowledgeable on the internal workings of the evaporator housing and associated plug this is foreign to me.
    This is what the dealer and Chrysler has decided is the problem. I was told maybe next Tuesday the parts will be available along with new carpet. To date dealer has had vechicle four days with this particular problem.

We certainly appreciate your responses to date, it has been most informative.

I spent two hours last evening reading every message posted regarding Dodge Dakota's. I must say I am humbled by the knowledge each of you possess. My field is science and consumes my time. I envy those of you who have the skills to address auto mechanics and willing to share your skills. In this nation auto mechanics is not a requiste in owning a vechicle. Just turn the key and go.

Once again, we thank you for your interest and rapid response and will look forward to reading the posted messages.
    Well the saga continues regarding the flooding.
    I brought my vechicle in on Tuesday as directed, and was told the parts are in but the technician with the skills to work was off sick. Okay, I can wait another day except it was July fourth and the dealership would be closed. So I took it in on Thursday the fifth of July at the crack of dawn. I was told it would be ready by closing. Dealer never called. I called on the sixth of July and was told by service manager they had bad news. I went to dealership and what I saw was a sight I never will forget. The complete interior was stripped and laid out on the ground. Dash board, panels, carpet. and windshield. I thought at first my vechicle was in a wreck.

The service manager then began to explain that they discovered leaks from front windshield, door, and AC. More parts needed to be ordered!

If you have been following my posts, you will now find my first experience resulted in a Pillar in the A-frame followed by evaporator housing, evaporator plug and now another whatcha ma call it.

Now this vechicle has just 5,000 miles on the odometer. I will leave it up to you to judge the quality that went into my 2001 Dodge Dakota CC 4x4 and the skills or lack of them in resolving the problem.

I know water leaks can be a problem to track, but this a soap opera in the making. I can't help but wonder what other quality part is lurking in the wings. What can I expect tommorow?

Now I am told it will be Monday before parts arrive.
This discussion has been closed.