Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Transmission and AWD Problems

Comments

• I did get the speedometer issue resolved. My mechanic replaced a part in the control panel. The "transmission" issue is still unresolved. Has clunked 2x this week, and will probably not be happening when the mechanic looks at it again! ☺
  • Hey guys,

I've been getting a grinding/moaning when driving ~20-25 mph in instances where I am taking off from a stop light and the noise occurs I believe right after shifting into 2nd(?).

This grinding only happens when I am barely applying gas. The noise stops when I release the gas pedal or push it down more.

This grinding does not occur when I corner, only when going straight.

I feel like the noise is originating just to the right of my feet, perhaps directly below the radio/console.

Any tips to begin solving this problem would be appreciated.
  • Is your Rendezvous AWD? I had a similar problem with mine, it was at low and higher speeds, but the other symptoms were the same. The bearings in the rear half of the two piece drive shaft were siezing up making the noize.
    Parts are around $1200 from the dealer. Though I found the drive shaft at a salvage yard for $100. You'll also need to change the rear differential Versa-Trac fluid when the drive shaft is replaced. That stuff was around $30 a pint.
    Not bad except the fluid cost.
  • vouz1234vouz1234 Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    EDIT: ^^ Yes, I have the 2002 CXL AWD

Ok, I went out driving today and was able to replicate my issue EVERY TIME.

Slight hill

Car from 0-27 mph, up shifting fine

at 27 mph, shifts until 3rd gear

IF I let the gas pedal back and allow the engine rpms to reach 1200-1400 RPM, and then apply gas, I get a VERY harsh grind beneath the radio/console.

The grind does not happen if I apply significant gas up the slight hill

The grind does not happen when applying the same method and going DOWNHILL
  • Interesting.

Thank you for sharing this input and any more would be helpful.

I've added some info above this message
  • Vouz1234,

Thank you for posting your concerns – if we can be of any assistance (looking into warranty or recall information on your vehicle, assisting in working with a dealership towards resolving this concern), please email us with your name/username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Thank you Sarah for the gesture.

I have addressed this issue twice with my local dealership and will be returning once more now than I can reproduce my issue.

If nothing is resolved, I will be contacting you in ~2 weeks.

Thanks again.
  • Hi all,
    My wife heard a serious grinding sound under her 2004 Rendezvous with about 78,000 miles on it. I had it towed to the nearest dealer. They said the transfer case was shot and would cost $3,250 to replace. OUCH!!!!! Should a transfer case go out with that low mileage? I'm not sure the car is worth repairing at that price!! I just had the rack and pinion system replaced at over $1000!.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
    Thanks in advance,
    JOe H
  • Dear Joe,
    FYI I have a local mechanic that has worked on my 2005 Rendezvous (118K). This garage has always treated us fair and has always come in under the price that they quoted me. They have worked on our Saturn, and will work on our Porsche when it needs maintenance. Just saying a second opinion might help you keep your vehicle. We love our Rendezvous...has been reliable.

Schultzie
  • Schultzie,
    Thank you for the reply. We have a local mechanic also whom we trust. In talking to him he said it sounded like it was the transfer case; his price would be about $2950. He didn't think the transfer case should fail that early. We used to lover our Rendezvous.. now i'm worried about getting "thousands of dollared", instead of nickled and dimed, if we keep it.

Any chance GM might give any assistance on something like this?
    Joe H
  • I have a 2003 AWD with 125000 miles. From a stop when the gas is applied.. The car acts as if the transmission won't engage. When you let off the gas and then reapply it it will engage and run fine.
    No other shifting problems occur. It does not do it all the time so I haven't had it to the dealership.
    Any suggestions?
  • I have a 2006 Buick Rendezvous CXL and I have had nothing but problems with it since I bought the damn thing. I am a single mom with 2 boys and this car was meant to be a reliable vehicle that I didn't have to worry about fixing being alone with my kids. I have replaced 4 wheel bearings, a transmission, 2 starters, countless breaks and rotars due to the wheel bearings and now I am dealing with something wrong the rear end that I think is the transfer case. I CANNOT afford 3-5 thousand dollars to fix this. I'm trying to trade it in before it goes and I owe to much on it for what anyone in their rite mind would give me for it. I WILL NEVER BUY A BUICK AGAIN IN MY LIFE and neither will my father who has delt with these issues with me. None of the warranties will help. I also have an issue beyond the car being enormussly loud with a "clunking" and jerking when I put the car into "R" or "D". I am so stuck its unbelievable that GM does nothing about these issues and "pull one over" on a single mom that has put every penny she has into a junk car.
  • Scoots31,
    I can understand why you are frustrated given your situation. I see that you have done a few different repairs on your vehicle - were these done with our GM dealerships? If we can look further into any options with you, please get in touch with us via email with more information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Like no. 48 my 2005 A W D Remdezvous will go from to low 3 doing nothing like ther isnt a trans. it at all. I rev the engine like crazy and clunk!! all is fine untill i park it again / up and down the tree !!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning woodskuse,
    I'm sorry to hear that your Rendezvous is having some transmission difficulties. Has it been looked into already by a mechanic, either independent or with one of our GM dealers?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • CrysDemCrysDem Posts: 1
    I took my 2005 to a guy that has worked on my other car and he told me the jerk I was feeling after acceleration was probably a shift solenoid and they were not expensive to fix. I have not yet gotten a quote for it yet but will post when I do.
    Another issue I am having is with the service traction system, trac off, and anti-lock lights coming on while driving. Any fixes for this? I did see on another site that the only way to get that fixed is to change the harness but there is a burning or rubbing metal smell coming from the wheel area. I just bought this truck about two weeks ago and other than this it runs really good. I do not know if this would be covered under the warrenty I purchased either.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,238
    For the lights, If you have some sort of warrenty I think it should be covered. They are likely all related and it could be a harness, or speed sensor on wheel, or wiring to sensor, or related to the smell or perhaps an issue with the C305 connector.
    What was the warranty you purchased, CrysDem? Was it one of our GMPPs (General Motors Protection Plans)? I'd be happy to get you more information if so.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rnoredrnored Posts: 4
    I havent received the estimate on the complete rebuild of the transmission yet. The parts have been ordered and GM was queried about any sort of help with the problem. I cant imagine a transmission being rebuilt on an 06 model w/75K miles, only used by a senior citizen. Does anyone know who to contact about any sort of warranty from GM?
    Good morning,

We would be happy to look into this further. There is a warranty on replacement parts and labor through GM of at least 12 months/12,000 miles. There is a longer warranty on the transmission - are they replacing the entire transmission or have they ordered parts for it?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    The codes read slip, so the GM certified mechanic decided that the transmission had to be replaced. He has ordered parts, but there has been some delay. The car has been in his shop for 4 wks, he says it is dangerous to drive; the rear end could lock up and cause a skid.
    Thank you for keeping us updated, rnored. If you would like to set up a Service Request or would like for us to be involved, please contact us via email at either of the addresses provided in the biography section of my profile here on Edmunds.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Yes, I need your help. My car has been in the shop for six weeks now. Only two of the 6 parts have arrived. Could you please give me a contact? Or a number my GM certified mechanic can call to help?
    Should we just give up & go to a junk yard?
    rnored,

Send your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and name of your dealership to socialmedia@gm.com

Also, if you would, include details of the situation as my coworker Christina answers inbound emails and a context would be helpful for her.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hey there,
    I have a 2002 buick rendezvous CX AWD and have been experiencing a thugging noise along with a lack of ability to accellerate when climbing slight to moderate hills, and when attempting to gain speed when driving on the highway (100-120 km/h). I brought my Rendezvous to our GM dealer and my mechanic read the codes using the OBD and told me that it was an issue with the transmission building too much pressure when it has been run for a little while, and that there was a problem with an internal component of the transmission and that this would require a rebuild. Are there any other relatable issues that anyone has experienced and/or an alternative resolution to this issue? Given the age and mileage of my vehicle I am hesitant to spend that kind of money on it at this point.. a response from a GM Customer Care rep would be greatly appreciated.
  • lwillolwillo Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I have a 2004 Rendezvous and never had any issues...189, 000Km, until now.

Lights coming on and off, Traction control, ABS, Differential. Speedometer accelerates and decelerates intermittently and causes the car to jerk at times. Loses power suddenly as well.

I've read so many horror stories online but had never experienced any issues. went to a local mechanic and explained the issues and he said that it's a common problem with Rendezvous', Equinox & Envoy and there was a recall on the Wiring harness for this.

I've tried at the dealer and they mentioned that there is no recall for my car.

Anyone heard of this recall...? Just had the car serviced, replaced bushings, ball joints, tires.....so not looking to spend again....

Thanks.....

LWillo

PS: This is a Canadian Vehichle
    It sounds lke an issue with the C305 connector (google 'gm c305 connector' to see he variuos problems it can create). There is no recall, but there is a TSB to address how to correct.
  • lwillolwillo Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    Got to the connector fine.... everything looks good....dry and clean.. Didn't have a rivet gun so it didn't remove it but cleaned the pins....no change in symptoms yet.. will get a replacement screw or rivet goun before removing it.

My main reason for not removing it was there were two other connectors attached to it as well.

Tks

Lwillo
    edited April 2012
    Not sure which item you may have seen in google search, but there is two things that can happen. Water intrusion can cause corrosion, or the female side of connection can spread and cause bad connection. Haven't looked at the schematic for it lately, but believe there should be a connection that be used for AWD/ABS and another for fuel gauge/fuel pump. The combinations of what you are seeing makes me think the c305 is the culprit (could be other things of course).
    On my Pontiac the issue was fuel gauge. I cleaned the connections with a product called deoxit (I think thats the name, Radio Shack here in the states has it). Just cleaning didn't help, but I sprayed the pins (not overspray that might greate short) and re-connected and the fuel gauge worked for a bit (until the 'wet' connection dried out), I sorta guessed it may the the spread thing going on.
  • vette11vette11 Posts: 1
    Purchased my 06 Buick Rendevous used at a little over 12k miles Dec 2006. Oct 2008 the transmission was replaced at 61k miles (drive for work). GM paid half of the $3100 to replace the transmission under there Goodwill program. With the new transmission came a 100k mile or 3 year warranty.

About two weeks ago my car began skipping, the check engine, oil and battery lights began flashing on and off, started to have a grinding noise and losing acceleration on hills. Took it to the GM dealership and was told it was the solenoid (sp?) and it would cost $1500 to replace. Could not believe it since the transmission is less than 4 years old and I keep up on the maintenance of my car because I drive a lot work. I authorized the repair.

Received a call from the Service Manager and he said when they began to break down the transmission it was an internal transmission issue and there was a lot of metal in the transmission. The recommendation was to replace the transmission. The mileage on my car is at 177k (warranty expired).

Now, I am getting a second transmission. It is cheaper than purchasing a new car. This was not in my plans as I am trying to clear my debt in the next six months. I know my car probably will not last another year just because of the nature of this vehicle. I know my next vehicle will not be a GM car. I have told everyone I know about my problems with this car and will continue to do so....