Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Focus

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    How about the enlarged Focus -- the new Mondeo -- sold else where, where our Focus ST's 2.3 4-cyl Duratec (Porsche-designed block, finished by Mazda) lives on. Note: not to be confused w/ the 2.3 in the Pinto :D

http://www.caradvice.com.au/7274/2008-ford-mondeo-details/

Scroll down to see the light-grey sedan available w/ Volvo's 5-cyl turbo (Nice wheels, eh?).

Actually we can still get this super-sized Focus platform in the form of the new Volvo S80, Ford Edge & Mazda CX-9
    our Focus still feels like a German-design car riding on a German platform.

The Mazda3 feels like a Japanese-design car riding on a German platform.

The S40/V50 feels like a Swedish-design car riding on a German platform.

I just had a chance sitting in the '08 American Focus sedan when I went to p/u my '07 Focus ST after some warranty work. The exterior & interior styling issues of the '08 didn't bother me much, but the difference in the quality of the interior is quite dramatic...

Front seating: The interior door handle, located ahead of the pwr window switches, is too far away. The center armrest is too low. Combining w/ the lack of telescopic steering column, the driving position doesn't even fit me! The inside rearview mirror shows a more restrictive rear vision. The looks & tactile feel of the crudely designed & styled plastic buttons feel very low rent & "un-German". & "Ouch!" as I exited the driver seat, my left knee cap was hit by the plastic protrusion from the lower left part of the dash.

Rear seating: The outer parts of the headliner force the outer 2 passengers to tilt the head toward the center of the car. The foot space underneath the front chair was restrictively narrow. & the front seat back's extra knee clearance extended so far above the real knee level that it looked stupid.

The whole interior engineering is as unsophisticated as the original Dodge Neon. Starting '08, our Focus feels like a American-design car riding on a German platform.
  • I am also considering buying a 2008 ford focus. I currently own a 2001 ford focus se. I have had very good luck with it so far. It just turned 100,000 miles on it. Never had any mechanical problems with it. only a few minor recalls.
    Im hoping I will have just as good luck with a new one.
  • With all due respect to the Focus detractors on this forum....
    You can bash the car all you like. HOWEVER, I offer this fact: I see FAR more Focuses (Foci?) on the road than any other small car. This is especially true of the redesigned version.

And don't tell me it's just Ford discounting the car. Every other manufacturer is unloading their small cars at fire-sale prices.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    My 2 cents is that many people who have problems with their Focus failed to follow the complete scheduled maintenance routine.

Ford Focus has some of the lowest maintenance requirements in its class including a lifetime air filter. Still, it takes more than just oil changes to keep a car functioning properly.

Mark
    After switching to Duratec developed by Mazda...

"the current Focus has been rated the most reliable vehicle in its segment in Germany, outdoing all [non-permissible content removed] and German brands"
    aviboy97, "Mazdaspeed3 vs. VW V GTI vs. Civic Si" #1239, 26 Jun 2007 7:23 am
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,923
    i like the same mondeo as you do, but i don't see the chassis connection to the s-80.
    But the way to bash the '08 American Focus is not in the reliability issues, as recently the Focus already beats most German cars in this area after using Mazda technology under the hood.

A decently comfy ride & controllable rear drift from the Control Blade rear suspension, along w/ great steering feedback is what makes the Focus so great.

Even after switching to electro-hydraulic power steering on the C-1 Euro Focus w/ engine larger than 1.6, competitors just can't match its steering feel:

(post #1347)
    creakid1, "Mazdaspeed3 vs. VW V GTI vs. Civic Si" #1347, 9 Mar 2008 5:10 pm

But I'm not sure about the '08 American Focus' electric power steering:

(post #1944)
    creakid1, "Ford Focus Sedan" #1944, 6 Nov 2007 2:43 am
    '...While still precise it feels slightly dulled when going straight ahead, something I'd chalk up to the setup of the electrical power steering to require less inputs when driven at high speeds on the highway and fewer kickbacks from the wheel. The conversion to an electric rack also leaves the wheel mostly devoid of feedback, an area which the old Focus was very strong."
  • rebel71rebel71 Posts: 87
    I'm looking at many cars and wanted to ask if the lack of head rests in the backseat is an issue? I'm concerned for the safety of my passengers and not sure how this effect them in an accident. It has rear drum brakes, ugh. I had a car w/those and had brake fade on hills from the heat buildup. Anyone experience issues with this? Thank you
    On a small light weight car, you should not neccessarily thing rear drum brakes are bad.

Look to actual brake tests before you make up you mind. Remember drum brakes cost lest to service and reduce cost of ownership which is important in a car in this catagory.
  • carlt1carlt1 Posts: 6
    At 664 miles I got a check engine light. Dealer said it was a "transmission range sensor out of range" (Code P1702-00-68) and performed " PCM recalibration with new level software". Since then my gas mileage has dropped about 10%. My computer had been quite consistent. I reset it with each trip. Outings with consistent 32-34mpg are now 27-29mpg. Dealer tells me it takes 10K miles to get reliable computer estimates of fuel economy. My readings were quite consistent...and still are, just 10% lower, since the software adjustment. Dealer further states the adjustment could have nothing to do with gas mileage...is this just an unfortunate concidence?
    That Corolla I passed over to buy American is looking better and better,
    Disgusted
  • Since then my gas mileage has dropped about 10%. My computer had been quite consistent. I reset it with each trip. Outings with consistent 32-34mpg are now 27-29mpg. Dealer tells me it takes 10K miles to get reliable computer estimates of fuel economy. My readings were quite consistent...and still are, just 10% lower, since the software adjustment.

Have you been relying on the car's computer to calculate the fuel economy this entire time, or have you double checked the trip meter (miles driven) divided by the amount of gas purchased using an outside source (like a calculator or pencil and paper)? The reason I ask is that sometimes the car's computer is artificially optimistic about mileage. Double check the readings and see what you get - good luck!

If you still have problems, go see a different dealer and explain the problem (maybe some other part was not connected properly after the first work was done).
  • tomanyttomanyt Posts: 1
    Can the 08 Focus be any uglier??? What is happening with Ford? Why can't they build nice looking cars?
  • infocusinfocus Posts: 1
    As a new 08 Focus SE sedan owner with a M5, I'm looking for some additional information regarding the platform and drivetrain. I slowly (okay, very slooowly) made the decision to purchase this model after seeing all the bashing about the styling, cheapness, no improved powerplant, fake fender vent, too high a belt line, cost cutting gone wild, wall-to-wall crappy hard plastic, etc. So I tested all the competing models...and it came down to the Mazda3 and the Civic. With the options that I wanted (speed control, ABS) the Civic was $18,500 and the Mazda3 was a little less. And then my nationalistic pride kicked in...memories of 9/11, American jobs disappearing, foreclosures galore, Europeans bashing the ugly, wasteful, war mongering Americans, inflation spiraling out of control, fuel closing in on $4./gal. and I thought isn't there anything American out there that I can accept? So I researched a bunch of web sites and decided to rely on edmunds. That lead me to try a Ford. Over a few weeks, I visited dealerships and drove probably 8 vehicles (Autos/5 speeds/ S's/SES's)...and found that although my expectations were very low, the model is respectable in it's class. It is what it is... a simple $16,000 compact that is very light weight, quiet, comfortable, reliable, with a slippery 5 speed, very fuel efficient (I've had only 3 days and getting 31mph in city driving (no highway yet) and extremely inexpensive (I bought at $400. over invoice (THX edmonds!) with $2500. in rebates and 0.0% financing...making our investment about $13,200.

So....I'm hearing bits and pieces about German platform, Mazda engineered 16 valve 2.0 engine and my paperwork says the tranny was built in Germany. What gives? My vehicle was built at the Wayne plant and all the panel seams are tight and line up even, no squeaks, or leaking windows, no rattles, no pre-rusted engine parts or other parts falling off or fluids leaking all over the place. With a nice color combination of Vista Blue on Charcoal, I'm trying to figure out... am I missing something here or is everyone else missing it? Granted, the instrument cluster looks like it was designed for a 16 year old and the seats could use better side bolsters... but it seems like a great little car that looks a little (uh, sorry) European from the back! So tell me folks, what is the lineage of the drivetrain? I love the power of the 2.0 (yes, it's a little unrefined), the handling and the slippery 5 speed reminds me of my 80' Toyota Celica.

Can anyone provide more information? And can running a thicker oil like 10-30 take away the engine harshness?

InFocus
    I took away engine harshness off my '98 Corolla 1.8 by using the Prolong engine additive & increased the oil-change interval by using synthetic (0W-40 Mobil-1). You can increase the viscosity safely w/ 5W-50 Castrol Syntec.

But you might want to wait till the break-in is over. Otherwise the Prolong is so slippery that you might never finish your break in!

By the way, I remember only the auto tranny in the Focus is made by Mazda. So it makes sense that the manual tranny is made in Germany, where the original Focus came from! ;)

Mazda kept its trade secret -- variable valve timing -- to themselves. So the Ford version doesn't have it, & thus trailing behind the Mazda3 2.0 all these years in mpg.
  • Prolong, Slick 50 and all the other snake oils are just an expensive ripoff! Don't waste your money and just do proper maintenance on your car.
    My '90 Mazda Protege's close-ratio 5-sp manual designed to run on ATF developed grinding when shifting into certain gears. I tried transmission additives from Slick 50, DuraLube & Prolong. Only the Prolong got rid of the grinding!

Then the Z-max, a newer engine additive, came out. I compared the engine/fuel additives & found out that the Prolong improves mpg more than the Z-max.

I could hear the engine smoothness improved in my '98 Corolla 1.8 LE when using the Prolong engine additive. But my '05 Focus 2.3 ST has a loud factory exhaust, so I could not hear the difference after adding Prolong.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Can the faux vents on the 08 Focus be easily removed? I saw a Focus last night without the vents and the look was much more attractive, cleaner, and sleeker.
  • hbgti1hbgti1 Posts: 16
    I agree; only the "S" trim comes without the shiny vents. Unfortunately, the S isn't available with the better options. I wonder if they're simply stuck on there by adhesive similar to the kind used on the emblems. If so, they should be removable without damage to the car.
    The side vents can't be removed without damaging them and there will be holes left behind.

Mark.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,923
    while under warranty i would stick with the recommended 5w-20. motorcraft does have a full synthetic. i don't know if it will smooth out the engine to your liking.
  • randomnessrandomness Posts: 10
    I like the looks of the 2008 Coupe. I don't care about the SYNC features.

With my current issues (possible transmission on an 05 with 19000 miles), I'm not sure I"d get another Focus.
    You like the looks of the 2008 Coupe? Ford is restyling it for '09 this Saturday: :P

http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001JpD4UnUIU7armWStVUQ2jLNENw--Hgy6Vw6XHnGqL9oVDUcylzQbV- - - - J2KM7MOP-LNTXkUIeoEDe6PC8-oJZ59rg2m4LKtb9fWaFm6vPj32ktQ1msdoE7RD9dXKdtGNhRWWeaso- - - - IyK8JPcFJ4HJcco6Sp_47IrwJ1JhGQO0Gmo0r5KG-d9AC3DdADVuXKcpdmqWRSvIJfTARcfJMQWQV5P2- - - - IrPwkE0ii1C

http://www.focaljet.com/

At least the electronic stability control (ESC) option is available again in America, since the brief appearance of the Advance Trak from '01 to '03.
  • onthefarmonthefarm Posts: 22
    For owners of the current Focus, is there a lever to adjust the driver's seat? Is it in all trim levels? I've looked at the website and see no mention of it, plus I went to the dealer today to see cars on the lot and still can't tell. No mention of it on the window sticker either. Very curious.

With the refresh coming this Summer, I noted the grill goes from bright chrome to dark on the coupe--not liking this. What do you folks think? I dislike the fake side vents on the current model but you know, viewing the car in person and with the right exterior color (Silver for sure), I could live with it easily. I might be in the minority, but I think the overall styling of the Focus is nice. :)
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I read in the paper. The new 08 Focus sales are up %29 percent over last year!!??. Found this interesting so I did more reaserch. Consumers in forums are very happy with the new restyle overall. I guess the interior and sound deading and SYNC was a huge part of them liking the vehicle. Price point is also a huge factor when people actually compared vehicles like the Civic/Corolla. Looks to me like once again all the "experts" are wrong. Consumers make the choice. :P
  • onthefarmonthefarm Posts: 22
    I agree! If we always relied on the 'experts' we'd be a sorry lot. They don't get it right nearly as much as they think! Consumers are gathering their own information and having the final say. Honda & Toyota make nice cars, but but we shouldn't be brainwashed into believing it's them or nothing at all. :)

I thought I'd read that Focus sales were up 88% from last year...though I could be mistaken.