Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Focus

Comments

• dan5678dan5678 Posts: 28
    Thanks, whoever at Ford decided to market the hatch version of the Fiesta in North America.

Hope the car lives up to the styling, which is quite nice. Wonder if the 5-door would be too much to hope for?
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• capellacapella Posts: 20
    The 2009 Focus is not going to have the fake side vents except in the new SEL trim line for the sedan. I think the car looks better without the vent.

Also, the 2009 Focus order guide indicates that all 2009 Focus trim lines come with a 4 way manually adjustable front drivers seat.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Standard on 2008 SEL and 2008 SE with Deluxe package.

Journalists at the performance rags are bashing the Focus. First I think this is an attempt to show anger at Ford for not bring the new C1 Focus over from Europe.

2nd I always read reviews with an eye toward how the vehicle is being evaluated. For instance, are they basing their opinion on a Minivan on salom speed and 0-60 times or on legitimate Minivan criteria like size and flexibility.

Now, thanks to the Internet there are lots of not traditional sources of reviews. Look for reviews that are from a point of view that reflects your expections.

For instance, I like www.familycar.com.
    Edmunds has http://www.edmunds.com/women/index.html
  • onthefarmonthefarm Posts: 22
    Also, the 2009 Focus order guide indicates that all 2009 Focus trim lines come with a 4 way manually adjustable front drivers seat.

Cap, where did you view this '09 order guide so soon? I'd like to see that myself.

I read that the refreshened Focus goes on sale this Summer; have you/anyone read of a specific date? Returned to the dealer and spoke to a sales rep who, amazingly, had no clue that the Focus was being restyled. How do you work for Ford and NOT know this? Unreal. He wasn't a newbie either--this guy has been with this particular dealership for some time. Bottom line is that beyond a sales pitch for the current model, I got no new information and I'm eager to learn more, if possible, prior to the launch.
    I got the Order Guide from: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24477

You'll need to sign up with the forum to be able to download that information.

There also are order guides for other models available if you're interested in that. Just check in the other forums on the site (for example, if you want to look at the 2009 Taurus order guide, check out the Taurus and Sable forum at blueovalforums).
    Thx for the info.'--much appreciated. :D
    More of a 2009 styling tweek.

Just a few elements are being changed for 09.

The SES 4-door topped by an SEL trim which seems to be an a 2008 SE with deluxe package plus standard leather.

S coupe is dropped

SES coupe gets standard 17s that are optional on SES Sedan.

Coupe gets different grill and slightly different rear than sedan.

Thats it. Interiors are the same.

Mark
    I appreciate this news as well. Looks like I'll have to watch, daily, for it's appearance via the Ford website.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I thought the Focus wasn't going to restyled until 2010?? I knew the body style was going to reflect the Euro-focus. Also heard rumors of an array of new engines available. Possibly a 1.6? 2.3? or 2.5? The 08 Focus is a nice little car. I drove one when I went and bought my daughter an 07 Focus SE 4 door. I'm telling you it was like night and day between an 07 and an 08. Ford DOES improve its products unlike some would lead you to believe.
  • big_mike1big_mike1 Posts: 4
    We're looking to downsize from our '98 Expedition into something more fuel efficient and smaller. The Expedition has been great (173,000 mostly trouble free miles) and I'm not scared of an American-made small car.

That being said, I think we're lookng at the Focus and Hyundai Elantra. I'd like to keep it under $15k out the door, but with the minimum options we requie (auto trans, Sync and Sirius in the Focus, ABS), I think our goal is $16k. Still much less than either a Corolla or Civic, and a bigger, better equiped vehicle than the Fit/Versa/Yaris, without a huge reduction in mileage..

The car will be driven 15-18k/year for at least the next two years, but may go to college with my daughter in two years. We'll have to see, but safety and reliability are up there with price as concerns.

Did anyone evaluate these two cars when buying their Focus? I'm a little concerned about availability, as both are selling real well right now since they're a great valuecompared to the Toyotas and Hondas.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Posts: 468
    Personally big mike.. I wouldn't touch a Hyundai with a ten foot pole. I think you'll find the driving dynamics and comfort of the Focus to be far superior to the Accent. In addition, the Hyundai is considerably smaller and lighter than the Focus.. meaning not as much protection for you and your family. The interior layout of the Focus is another big plus. It's pretty much a no-brainer between these two vehicles.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who traded-in a larger vehicle for a small compact car to save money on gas, but spent money on options to get something more comfortable and appealing. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 9, 2008.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Edmunds.com
    Corporate Communications

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

One feature change that will happen for 2009 is that the ABS/Traction Control option now includes Advanctrac stability control. Sounds great but the problem is Ford is increase the cost of the option from $495 to $795!

This will be the only way to get ABS.

So if you are on the fence and price and ABS are important to you, try to snap up a 2008.

At my dealer, we can't really figure out how to order a 2009 Focus SE with ABS and keep the MSRP below $19,000. I think most people would prefer Sync when it comes down to it.

Mark.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkme_GoJIwlYBXqRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyOWkxZTQ5BHNlYwNz- - - - - - - cgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0RGRDVfODE-/SIG=1396fkar6/EXP=1216572479/**http%3a/- - - - - - - /www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.012c081c5966f0ca3253ab10cba046a0/

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkme_GoJIwlYBYKRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNW5qMDM2BHNlYwNz- - - - - - - cgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0RGRDVfODE-/SIG=14hbg6dku/EXP=1216572479/**http%3a/- - - - - - - /www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2006/electronic-stability-contro- - - - - - - l-6-06/overview/electronicstability.htm

Statistics showed that (Advancetrac) stability control saves way more lives than airbags. Only the stupid US Ford took this beautiful European option away from the Focus from '04 to '08. Now my '07 Focus ST doesn't have it, & no one can retrofit it into my car. Whoever took this inexpensive live(& body work)-saving option away from my car should go to hell! :mad: I've driven the Volvo S40 recklessly with this feature on wet road, & boy, it was magically fun! :shades:
    Just think Ford should have made ABS standard and kept ESC as an option for $495.
  • elena250elena250 Posts: 28
    Looking at a 2008 Focus SE which does have ABS. Wondering about trying to get the 2009 if it has that Advanctrac Stability Control. Seems like a lot of people feel it's important. How much extra should one have to pay?
    For us, stability control is a must have in a new car.

The 2009 Focus bundles the ESC with ABS. ABS was $385 for the 2008 Focus. The ESC/ABS package for the 2009 Focus is around $750. So, the cost for ESC is a little under $400 over just ABS. From what I understand about the safety aspects of ESC, the money is well spent.
  • Info, I: just picked up my 2009 focus 4dr sdn.sel and it has rear head rest and 6 air bags. Hope this helps
    PS. It also has abs/esc