Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That pic looks like an angry Ford Focus. Gotta be careful to get the details right.

2mpg less? Interesting. It must keep the AWD split at highway speeds, then. I wonder how different the system is, it must be to withstand the heat full time.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    • The new Legacy L Special Edition is really marketed much like the Forester XS with the Premium Package. By that I mean it is a "package" that is added to the base L model. I saw one, and the badging on it just said "L" without any additional "Special Edition" badging. In fact, in the brochure it's mentioned as the L w/SEP.

• I also saw two H-6 Outback sedans. All H-6s now come with OnStar as standard. These sedans now have a small stubby antenna on the rear of the roof for the OnStar. I don't remember if the new H-6 wagon also has this antenna, or if it's in the rear window? If the wagon does have the antenna, it's another reason not to like OnStar. I would think it stands a good chance of getting damaged if you use the roof rack.

I wonder how many people will actually use OnStar? I really wish Subaru had included a GPS navigation system instead. I think that would be much more useful than OnStar.

Bob
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I imagine it's what FHI/SoA/SoC gets in return for providing AWD technology to GM. GPS systems do not have subscription fees, either.

Ed (waiting for paisan to chime in on this...)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I did a writeup on I-club about the AWD systems and torque split etc. Here is a link.

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196455

-mike

Hee hee :)

GM will take the boxers, and the AWD systems from FHI. Down the road they'll implement them at 2/3 the price of subies and 1/10 the reliability and will eventually run SOA out of bidness. Probably 10+ years down the road, but it will happen :(

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Mike,
    Where are you getting your numbers from?
    This is from the Car Connection article:
    "..The VTD system has a 45/55 split during steady state driving, rising as high as 50/50 depending on traction conditions..."

-Dennis
    But I remember reading it or seeing patti post it. It has as much validity as the Car Connection article. A 45/55 to 50/50 split is not a big range at all, I highly doubt that subaru would setup the system to be so restrictive. I was basing that on the VDC actually now that I think of it. When the VDC first came out it could split power up to 80/20 and 20/80 and then 0/100 to 100/0 left to right using braking.

-mike
    I don't particularly care for OnStar, and I'm a gadget guy. It doesn't add enough value IMO. I'd prefer a DVD based nav/rec system, and even then I think it should be an option.

How about a hose-out-the-interior option, with vinyl carpets? Or a built-in cooler? A tissue dispenser? A sneeze-activated "bless you" from the stereo?

Gimme something I'll actually use every day.

-juice
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    For the once every ten years that you may lock yourself out of the car and need someone to help, OnStar is a poor investment if you have to pay an annual fee. Kind of like paying some satellite radio service $120 to $150 a year to listen to your own car radio.

A cellular phone would probably be much more useful than OnStar 99% of the time.
    I park underground, usually 2-3 levels below concrete. I doubt OnStar would even have a signal there, so they could not unlock my car for me unless I drove it up to ground level - but I'd need keys for that! Useless to me.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    actually blane, satellite radio is digital so it's not like listening to the regular radio... but yeah it would be frivilous for most people to not have a satellite radio receiver at home, car... office even, if they paid for the service.

just teasing (for the most part), I agree what you said about OnStar.

-Colin
    If I lived in east middle of nowhere, I'd probably get SAT. I know up near my place in the adirondacks there are 3 kinds of stations:

Country
    Western
    NASCAR

-mike
    "I know up near my place in the adirondacks there are 3 kinds of stations:

Country
    Western
    NASCAR"

Who's the hillbilly now? ;-p

Ed the flatlander
    Got me a dublewide! Now I'm living large!

-mike
    I believe OnStar costs between $100 - $150 a year to subscribe to. For most people, I see it as a complete waste.

Bob
    Onstar is just a fancy cell phone IMHO.

-mike
    A friend of mine got XM radio...for his boat! He goes all over the place so reception was non-existent with FM in some places he went. It's portable, so he actually carries it back and forth from his car to his boat.

So in his case it's worth it.

-juice
    I mentioned this briefly after seeing a sentence about this in Sport Compact Car. There's a longer article on this posted on the i-club.

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215945&referrerid=767

Direct link:

http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs/06-2002/page2.htm

Will we ever see this if Subaru uses it?

-Dennis

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    http://media.subaru.com/

Once you log on to this site, click on "Releases." Only slight increase for the WRX. Best news is, despite increased content, the *base* Outback's price has dropped!

Bob
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    you mean YUKS! ;-)
    I'm taking the 2003.

-Dave
    I have to agree with the posters there that it looks like a Photoshop job.

Ed
  • esageresager Member Posts: 3
    Hi all -

Took a trip out to Carter Subaru to see an '03 GT sedan and two '03 L Special Edition wagons. All three looked sharp, though I was more interested in the Special Edition wagons. I have to say I prefer the '02 GT/'03 SE wheels to the '03 GT wheels. The price increase for the SE wagon is a relatively paltry $900 (over the base L). Liked the new perforated Momo steering wheel and dual sunroof. Seems like a great bargin - most of the items of the '02 GT for $2000 less than the '02 GT! No limited slip diff and "sport suspension" but I suspect that the base suspension will be fine, especially with the 205/55/16 wheels and tires. Plus, when it comes time to replace the Bridgestone RE92s, I can put on a better pair of tires and get a great deal of performance increase. At least that's what happened with my 1995 Golf GL - put on some RE930s and have never looked back...its a gas to drive at 7/10ths! Anyway, all for now.

I will be looking for a sliver one soon!
    Could be. I remember several reports saying all panels except the roof and doors were being changed. That's not he case here.

Bob
  • dassubdassub Member Posts: 13
    The Japanese text in the i-club image reads 'Impreza.' (At least most of Impreza . . . the last part of the word is cut off.)
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    It's no wonder that '02's are being discounted below invoice. The AWP and CD player list for $860 combined on the '02's. When you put that together with a $350 price drop, unless there's something that I'm not taking into account, an '03 is priced $1210 LESS than an '02 with the same equipment!

Van Bortel has '03 pricing on its website. However, they are claiming an '03 MSRP of $23045, which is $150 more than '02's $22895 MSRP.
    Cool, so the AWP is now standard on the OB, with lower prices than without it? Sweet.

That ain't the new WRX, I seriously doubt it'll look like that. The hood is unchanged, for instance.

-juice
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I like the look of the more aggressive lower bumper on the 03s vs 02 and prior. I'm not a fan of the new wheels though. They do look better in person than the pics but overall look cheaper than the wheels on the 02 and prior GTs. Oh well, wheels can be changed easily by an owner (more choices, etc), bumpers take a little more effort sometimes. :-)

Stephen
    I like the less-chrome grille. I prefer the current L's grille over the OB's.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I get a 'page not available' from geocities.

"We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
    If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance"

-Brian
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Try copying the URL and pasting it into a new browser window. The image is from August 2001. Or try this URL for the complete site: http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/edn-36.htm

bit

Nope no luck :(

-Dave
    just by clicking the link.

"tackle weaknesses such as its bland interior and exterior, and lackluster interior appointments"...I'm sure I'd overlook all that if it was a B4! Heck, I might even consider that color!

-Brian
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    That Legacy photo looks pretty conservative. It looks like all they really did was enlarge the headlights from the current version a la Toyota.

Ken
    What do they mean by straight 6?
    In-Line 6?

-Dave
    I saw a new '03 Outback VDC wagon today, and it does indeed have that stubby OnStar antenna mounted on the roof, centered near the tailgate.

So, if you're loading anything on the roof rack, beware—this antenna sticks up about a 1/4" - 1/2" above the roof rack cross bars, and could be easily be damaged by long objects placed on the roof rack if you're not careful.

Bob
    In the side window, like what Subaru does with its radio antenna. Or...

designed it so that it was "lower" than the roof rack cross bars. Or...

Not even offer it, but instead offer a far more useful GPS navigation system instead.

Bob
    Put it in the front above the driver's head, that is where it is on the rest of the GM vehicles that have onstar.

-mike
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Now that Subaru's top of the line 2003 model has been named Legacy 2.5 GT Sedan and they've dropped the "Limited" designation, their naming scheme is becoming clearer. If they produce an H-6 in the near future, and plan to introduce it in the GT, all they have to do to differentiate the models is to replace the 2.5 in the trunk logo with 3.0, a clear cost savings.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Or a 2.5T! ;-)

Ken
    Good, Bob, then it breaks off easily. ;-)

-juice