Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    hmm. that's not all that bad. better than the last few trademarked names that were mentioned in this discussion a while back.

~c
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...

Bob
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Neither does Cadillac Escalade, and yet...

Three syllables, three syllables..
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Much better than Continuum. :-)

-Dennis
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Good preview of the new Subarus here:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20- 040513/SUBARU13//?query=subaru
    Interesting that Subaru chose Nova Scotia to show the new Subes to Canadian journalists, as that's where Halifax is located! Seems like they've trademarked many names though, so I'm not sure that Halifax is a lock for the new 7 seater name. Not sure it really suits it either.Maybe they should have gone for Temagami or something more outdoorsy.
    The Globe's review(preview) is decent, by the way, and I do agree with the reviewer in that the base and to some extent, mid-range models are more than competitive but I think the top line models (at 40K+ in Canada)will have a tougher sell.
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    Call me a party pooper, but if brand new platform comes out as the "Halifax", it better exceed every expectation or its street name will be " Halitosis". Maybe all the names in Maine were already trademarked so they are getting the place names in the eastern Canadian provinces before everything is taken. SoA could work out a joint-marketing deal with Old Town canoes , use some of their maine river names.

Mark
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Don't blame them for 2 reasons.
    #1 It's based on owner surveys, so blame new Subie owners.
    #2 It's the "initial quality" statistics so it's likely right. Now for ongoing quality, my Yukon XT aka Suburban is the worst car I've ever had, and it tops the JD list for initial quality. Personally I think initial quality is a bunch of crapola, but based on the squeaks and rattles my car developed in its first month, I would rank it behind every new car I've owned. It's even worse than my 6 year old Altima was. It is a recurring theme from many Subie owners. From everyone's reports, Fuji has addressed the interior finish issues, but if they are looking to move upscale, they had better address this issue as well.

Nicholas
    Saw the new legacy & OB for the first time: my honest opinions,

1. Legacy sedan looks did not impress me....used to be a huge legacy fan. I like the cute looking JDM/Eur Legacies. I doubt if this legacy will break new grounds.

2. All OBS - even 2.5l, 2.5l ltd were multicolored. i didn't like it. I thought only LLbean is multicolored.

3. LL bean OB looks nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. No NAV was a big mistake.....so the vehicles don't look upto speed with the world. WHY DOES SUBARU LOVE TO FALL BEHIND !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Interior looks great compared to an avg Japanese car.

6. But far from being luxurious & neither are they aesthetic.

I will end up choosing OB H6 OR OB XT (if & when they come up with NAV). Or i will just be happy with Forester XT.....after all this will be my 2nd car. My 1st car will be hallifax ( how confident iam, without even looking at a sketch !!!!!!!!!!)
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Among them are plans to build and sell in the next business year a high-margin crossover vehicle priced at around $40,000 as part of its strategy of offering value-added cars to cultivate a premium brand like BMW and Volvo.

Doesn't sound like reference is directed to the 7-passenger.

-Dave
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Yeah it does. The 05 debut and "crossover" are both dead give-aways.

-Frank P
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Crossover = 7-passenger, so is the Outback.
    From my reading, the 7-passenger isn't going to be totally out of reach at $40k, if "crossover" is indeed directed at the 7-passenger. The "high margin" is leading me to think another version as part of its strategy of offering "value-added cars". I believe there's going to be a "value-added cars" version of the 7-passenger.

-Dave
    with the bold move. Subaru must make bold moves or else they will perish.

They really lack something to compete against Luxury cars, so the entire brand image is considered mediocre & it suffers.

My wife & I will be the 1st in line to buy the 40k Cross-over.....it better have everything like nav, bluetooth, memory settings etc.

But if VW can build a 80k Pheaten, Subaru deserves to build a 40k car anyday !!!!!!!!!!
    Can someone confirm that Onstar has been yanked from OB LLbean & VDC ?

Which would also confirm that NAV is on the way in 2006 as Edmunds said in the article.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Is there a formal def'n for that? It didn't scream 7 passenger in my mind. I always considered cross-overs as car-ish SUV's. By that definition, the OB and Forester came to mind for me.
    Hey, maybe it's the Forester STi!!

WE CAN DREAM.

Nicholas
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yep, it's gone.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    "But if VW can build a 80k Pheaten, Subaru deserves to build a 40k car anyday !!!!!!!!!!"

They can build them all day long but if nobody buys them...

Also - you're in the Boston area right? Where have you seen the 05's? I've driven through CarMart in Wilmington and Cityside in Arlington with none to be seen.
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    But if VW can build a 80k Pheaten, Subaru deserves to build a 40k car anyday...

And that's the problem... VW's Pheaton is not selling... I don't think Subaru's $40k truck will sell either. There is way too much to choose from in the $40k range...

Now if it's $35k, then I can see it happen.
    Carmart, Wilimington has them.....towards the service section....the doors are unlocked, I could open & sit & feel.....
    40k subaru will sell for 35, subaru will still make profits.
    Thanks - I rolled through last Saturday and saw none. Plenty of Volvos and Saabs stored there for 128 and of course their new building for Mitsu is taking up tons of space.
    no, no don;t go there.
    They are parked right in front of Subaru Service entrance. a few OBs & legacy
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Halifax? Not crazy about the name, to be honest. You can always de-badge. ;-)

I'll buy a 40k 7 seater as soon as they offer a $10k rebate! Ugh. Or a cheaper Sport model, or something.

Maybe they'll surprise us with a hybrid powertrain, who knows, then it could compete with the RX400. But the Lexus name carries a lot of heft, Subaru would still need a price advantage even if it's just as good (or better).

JDPower is OK with Subies, last year Forester tied for 3rd in class, and it's won their APEAL study several times.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is highly likely for MY07 vehicle. That would probably translate to about 37-38k now, and if it's competing with BMW and Volvo that will probably include 2K of Navigation in there and all the other bells and wistles that are in a 40K vehicle.

-mike
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    ...but when automakers hint at pricing for future models, they normally speak in today's terms.

NO ONE knows what the economy or car prices may do in the next three years. The last couple of years, retail car prices have actually been declining slightly...
    They have been declining? I didn't know that, maybe I'm looking at the wrong cars but they seem to be increasing every year.

-mike
    went to take a 2nd look on 05s, OB is very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh boy that moonroof.

Door, reargate - evrything feels light.

Remote has reargate opening. but remote is very plain looking unlike the new JDM's.

made up my mind, OB XT in 2005 with NAV is my car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    read Forester XT consumer reviews on Edmunds.com.
    makes me droooool !
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Ah, the reviews are trickling in. I can't wait until the next car mags are out!

Ken
    Starting in June, Fuji Heavy plans a three-month caravan tour in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami and Tampa, Fla. Subaru will invite people to drive the GT Turbo and Outback versions of the Legacy.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=03985600
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    Ugly to the MAX!!!! Front looks like an Ugly guy trying to kiss his sister..........

I must hurry and buy my 2005 Outback before GM does something to them also.

Subaru-Saab-Buick-What Next?
    A New Subaru Oldsmobile?

Well, the 2005's are beautiful. Buy now, quick!

CUSAFR
  • bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    Don't worry - it's a fake. It's been analyzed on other boards and found to be a photoshop of some minivan's body and one of the recent Subaru show cars.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Sweet! Maybe I'll actually get to test drive one before I buy it!

Ken
    Starting in June, Fuji Heavy plans a three-month caravan tour in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami and Tampa, Fla. Subaru will invite people to drive the GT Turbo and Outback versions of the Legacy.

Patti, any chance we can go to this???? As most of us didn't get out to LV for the ride and drive....

-mike
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I think I am starting to feel ignored living in New England! Isn't that were most of the Subarus are sold? Or maybe they are assuming that I will just go out and buy my fifth Subaru?

Mike - don't you sleep at night? :) Rob M.
    My usual work hours are 3pm-3am so I'm usually up from about 11am til about 5am. This week I'm doing 11pm-8am 2 days cause the over-night guy is in training :)

-mike
    yes, they assume New Englanders will just buy subes anyway,
    then why philli ? where Sub sells the most !
    yes, they assume New Englanders will just buy subes anyway,
    then why philli ? where Sub sells the most !

NE is their biggest market and they don't have to waste $$ marketing here. Besides native New Englanders consider Philly to be the deep south!!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Great idea, mike. Hey, if they do one in Philly maybe we could all meet half way? That would be a hoot.

They hinted at this in LV, but I didn't know it was already planned.

Check out my driving impressions in Meet the Members. I was very impressed.

-juice