Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Civic

Comments

• tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    Hi all

I have a new 09 Civic EX-L with less than 1000 miles. It has an annoying glove box buzz/rattle. When I open the glove box the rattle goes away. Anyone else have anything like this?

Otherwise the car is pretty well put together which makes this one rattle even more annoying! :)

tom
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    Try to change cabin air flow - by means of changing where air blows and test it with various fan speeds. Listen, if the "buzz" sounds in all air blow positions. Maybe you only hear "buzz" at certain setting.

Alternatively, open the glove box - it drops open. Squeeze both sides on top together and the glove box opens/drops down fully and exposes the cabin air filter compartment. Slide the cover (follow arrows) and open the cabin filter compartment. See if it's clean or if there is some obstruction in the fan.

Check the glove box and see if there are 2 rubber bumpers on both ends, where the glove box touches the dash board in closed position.

Just a few suggestions....
  • Hello, I'm considering purchasing a new 2010 Honda Civic LX but am second guess this decision based on what I've read about previous model years. I am just wondering if anyone knows if Honda has corrected the engine block cracking, the premature brake wear and the premature tire wear. These are at least the most prevalent and severe problems I've read about with these cars. If you have any information it would be very helpful. If Honda hasn't fixed the problems I may have to turn to Toyota despite their accelerators of death.

Thanks
  • I have done a lot of research regarding what car to purchase including consumers reports. I never heard of the engine block issue. I have had my civic for 6 months and am very happy with my purchase. There is road noise and the e brake lever is in the way of me knee, but by doing my research I knew that going in. All cars have there issues but Honda still has an excellent reliability rating.
  • I am curious to find out if anyone is having a similar problem like me. I love my 09 civic ex, it only has about 7800 miles on it. The problem is that when I drive 55 mph, it seems to be wanting to hesitate like it loses power. This is with both the ac on or off. The rpm stays the same it just feels as if the wheels tighten up for a split second and I lose a little power. Of course I take it to the dealership and they can not duplicate it. Also I have a real problem with the door. When it is warm outside, the door has to be slammed to be shut tight. Took it to the dealership and they state that it is because it is sealed so tight. Even so, it is hard to open regardless if it has been shut hard or not. I noticed when I bought the car with 2.5 miles on it, there was a flaw in the paint on the lower kick panel on the door. almost like it had been repainted and the paint was not clear coated properly. Just wondering if this vehicle may have been damaged during PDI or people are having the same problems as me.
  • Has anyone else experieced their Honda Civic rear tires wearing out unexpectedly ---sooner than they should be able to last?
    I have a new 2009 Honda Civic 4 Door that I got in October '09. I just got it inspected before I drove across the country. Halfway through my trip, I lost control on the highway when I drove over a shallow puddle of rainwater because my rear tires went completely bald in only 1200 miles.
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    1200 miles in 9 months? Something is wrong with this picture....are you saying you only drive appx 130 miles per month?
  • klrssklrss Posts: 25
    I have been waiting for someone else to ask about this. I have not been able to find anything on this issue for the 09, but have found a lot about previous years. I have noticed this issue on my 09. I bought it new with 12 miles on it. I drove it for maybe 12K miles, and brought it to discount tire to have them rotated. He asked if the drivers side rear tire was newer that the rest, and I told him no. He said it had a lot more tread than the other 3 like it had ben replaced! I have had the car since 12 miles and I KNOW it had not been replaced...so, I figured there was something going on. I researched and found issues with rear control arms, but it was supposedly fixed in 08 or 07. I asked my service advisor about it and he said it was because i waited until 12K to rotate them. I know this is not right, but I just left it.
    I am at 26K and all tires are pretty much bald. I really dont want to spend 600+ on new tires, when in the back of my mind I know there is an issue with that drivers side rear tire not wearing like the others. If I get new tires, I will surely keep track of wear and rotate on time and if that rear tire is not wearing like the others I will bring it to Honda's attention with proper documentation.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    Those tires should've been rotated twice by then. Best just to do a rotation with the oil changes. But to wait till 12k...just plain silly.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• There is something wrong with this picture. I did not say I drove it only 1200 miles in 9 months. I said that after the tires were "fully inspected" by Honda. ( where they checked tire tread depth, rotation if needed check, etc)
    I put 1200 miles on it. So, from Los Angeles to Oklahoma I had driven 1200 miles ( actually more like 1400 miles).
    So, in that amount of time, both rear tires went completely bald. Absolutely bald.
    To me, something is wrong with that picture. How could that have happened? Has anyone else had this problem.
  • I bought a 2010 Honda Civic new. At 12,000 miles the rear tires started roaring and vibrating the car due to cupping. My dealer agreed that the car had an issue but then told Honda America it was my fault because I didn't rotate. A second dealer didn't blame me but refused to do anything. Bridgestone was sure it was not a tire problem and had nothing to do with rotation but would give me nothing in writing. I then sent a certified letter demanding American Honda take the car back under my state's lemon law. At that point I was contacted by a good rep at American Honda who had the two rear tires replaced and a four wheel allingment performed. Now I have a car that still ruins tires but is quiet for right now.

My problem is if I don't rotate the tires I will ruin the rear tires in 12,000 miles and if I do rotate I will ruin 4 tires in 24,000. Has anyone had success in fixing this problem?

I had the same problem with my 2006 Civic. They blamed me then for not rotating. At 100,000 miles I discovered Honda service bulletin 008-001 dated Feb. 8, 2008. I had the rear control arms replaced and the problem disappeardd even though I subsequently never rotated the tires.
  • I bought a 2010 Honda Civic new. At 12,000 miles the rear tires started roaring and vibrating the car due to cupping. My dealer agreed that the car had an issue but then told Honda America it was my fault because I didn't rotate. A second dealer didn't blame me but refused to do anything. Bridgestone was sure it was not a tire problem and had nothing to do with rotation but would give me nothing in writing. I then sent a certified letter demanding American Honda take the car back under my state's lemon law. At that point I was contacted by a good rep at American Honda who had the two rear tires replaced and a four wheel allingment performed. Now I have a car that still ruins tires but is quiet for right now.

My problem is if I don't rotate the tires I will ruin the rear tires in 12,000 miles and if I do rotate I will ruin 4 tires in 24,000. Has anyone had success in fixing this problem?

I had the same problem with my 2006 Civic. They blamed me then for not rotating. At 100,000 miles I discovered Honda service bulletin 008-001 dated Feb. 8, 2008. I had the rear control arms replaced and the problem disappeard even though I subsequently never rotated the tires.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    edited June 2010
    While the Bridgestone tires that many (most?) Civics come with are junk as compared with other brands there are several items I would address. All opinions are mine feel free to disagree.
    A) Yes, Honda had, and it seems, still has mechanical problems in the rear suspension components. As noted there was a TSB or Honda service bulletin issued to correct the rear suspension problem by replacing the rear control arms with "improved" parts. This was issued to fix 2006-2007 model years. I did not know it could be an ongoing problem.
    B) As noted tire rotation plays a very, very big part in getting all the tire life possible. Front tires in a FWD car do double duty. They are the drive wheels and steer as well whereas the rear tires are along for the ride. All things being equal (proper inflation, alignment and tire balance) the rear tires will outlast the fronts by far if not rotated regularly. Rotate at 6K miles.
    C) All that being said for a pair of tires to go from being recently inspected ( and deemed to be acceptable) to "completely bald" in that short time frame seems to be well....unbelievable. I guess it could depend on what criteria the Honda techs. used when it was decided what was "good" during that inspection. Did they say they were on the edge of being worn out but still legal in your state (for inspection purposes, assuming you have state inspections) or having quite a lot of tread left?
    I have a 2006 Civic and while the uneven tire wear problem was not an issue with our car the original Bridgestone tires did wear to the point I chose not to use them last fall to go through one more Pa winter (good choice that) and replaced them at about 24,000 miles. They were regularly rotated, carried the correct tire pressure, wore out evenly (more or less) but wore out prematurely in my opinion. I replaced all 4 with Kumho Solus KR21"s that I know can last many more miles than 24K from experience on another car I own.
    So, it seems Honda still has a problem or two with the Civic, rear alignment and a poor choice for OEM tires.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Posts: 103
    Have any of you had any issues with the rear brakes wearing prematurely? Our 11 month old 2009 EX has 10,500 mostly highway miles (70%H) (30% city)and our Honda rep wants to replace the rear pads soon. I do recall some service bulletin on the 2008/09 Accords. In my mind the front pads should be the first to go if the brake proportioning valve is set up properly. Our other earlier Accords and Civic have easily gone 40000 miles before pad replacement was needed. Just trying to see if this is a one off issue.
    Thanks
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Posts: 108
    Just traded in my 2008 Accord in part because of poor body integrity and the fact that I replaced both front and rear brakes before 24K miles. The 2008 Accord has been a thorough disappointment. I sure hope that the Civic doesn't suffer from the same brake issues as the Accord. I was under the impression that the Accord issues are isolated to the Accords. I'm sorry that you are experiencing this problem with your Civic. Like you, I've owned more than a half dozen Honda's prior to this Accord and some of them went almost 50K miles before needing brakes. Good Luck.
  • So what did ur insurance company say?
    Because I just had my honda accord stolen from work, and i have all my keys as well and the insurance says that they dont understand how someone could of stole my car without a key?
  • onedmconedmc Posts: 5
    Well it seems that "valet" key (3rd key) was used. Car was found 7 days later with body damage. I had to pay only my deductible for repairs.
  • but i have all tree of my keys. is it possible for them to steal it any other way?
    bc my insurance doesnt think so. they told me that its really hard for someone to steal that kind of car without the key due to the chip in it?
    what did ur insurance tell u?
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Posts: 108
    I may be wrong, but I've always been of the impression that ANY car can be stolen regardless of what security system or chip in the key someone has. They are all "deterrent" devices, but no car is absolutely steal proof if the right thief wants to steal your car.
  • decy316decy316 Posts: 1
    I was getting ready to ask the same question. I have the same exact car and my rear brakes are making noises that makes me think that I need to replace the pads. I thought it was odd that I would have to do that already, but evidently I'm not the only one with this problem. Any suggestions?