Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Civic

Comments

• raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    I do think the 2009 Civic will get these changes:

1) Minor tweaks to the R18 engine to possibly increase horsepower slightly (maybe to 143 from 140 now) or widen the torque curve. We may see some minor changes to improve fuel economy, too.

2) Some minor changes to the center front dash, but the main instrument panel design used now will be retained.

3) An optional new car stereo with the ability to control iPods that use the iPod Data Connector.

4) A switch to the same headlamps and taillamps used on the JDM Civic sedan.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of automatic they'll use on the 2009 Civics. Since the 5AT unit is starting to get old in design, we can't dismiss the possibility of a new 6AT unit for improved acceleration and better highway fuel economy.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Since the 5AT unit is starting to get old in design, we can't dismiss the possibility of a new 6AT unit for improved acceleration and better highway fuel economy.

Yes, I think we can. I'd bet my house on the fact that Honda will put a 6-speed (or any upgraded transmission) in an Acura, or even the Accord, before the low-priced Civic.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    Old design? The Civic is one of the few compact cars to offer a 5AT at all. I really don't see Honda putting money into the Civic's transmission until the next generation at the earliest. They're already out in front of the competition there.

Also, what is the source of your information on the 2009 Civic?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    A number of Honda-oriented web sites have said that there will be some changes to the mid-model change (MMC) Civic. The most obvious change will probably be switching to the larger headlights used on the JDM/Asian market Civic models, and another change could be a revised center front dash (just like what Honda did with the 1996-2000 model Civic).

Tweaking the R18 engine is also possible, though unlikely. And the more I think about it, I do think Honda may not replace the 5AT unit during the MMC until the next full-model change (FMC) in 2010 for the 2011 model year.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Look for the current design to be possibly flipped while keeping the same sized dimensions. Honda has done this numerous times before during their mid cycle freshening. Agree that the headlamps will also be swapped for a slightly different design. Cosmetic changes are usually done with the refresh, as that's really all that's needed. Any major tweaks will come with the next generation Civic.

The Sandman :)
  • vegan64vegan64 Posts: 1
    how is the civic on snow and ice ? My 02 toyota
    rav-4 2wd slides all over the road. Is the civic
    much better ? i'm thinking of getting the 09 civic
  • jcanaverajcanavera Posts: 11
    I won't drive it if the snow gets high enough that they get the plows out. That front end is so low, and with all the plastic, I can see the chunks of ice that the plows push aside breaking some of that trim. I take out the CRV instead.

Jack
  • Is there any risk (based on any historical patterns or otherwise) that Honda will stop offering the EX-L 4 door in the Leather with Manual combination? This seems to be a somewhat hard mix to come by. If you throw in Navi, it's been my experiace that it's impossible to find. Maybe it's just too late in the MY.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Interestingly enough, the only EX-L 5-Speed that I've seen at any dealer around here was one with Nav as well. Go figure. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • will26will26 Posts: 62
    Get it! I have an 07 EX and drove it all last winter in Wisconsin. It was the 10th snowiest year on record (so the weatherman said) and the car handled great. I've never had an issue with hitting ice chunks. On a side note I just got 37 mpg!
  • veldevelde Posts: 17
    First I was shopping between the 09 Corolla and the 08 Civic. After test driving both today again, I agree with many of the 09 Corolla owners who have a problem keeping the car going straight down the highway. The electric steering is a lot of work, unlike the Civic. Since I'm handing this car down to my teenager in two years, I'm concerned about the absence of stability and traction control options on this car. Bluetooth would be a nice feature for her too. (the Corolla has both of these features) Waiting till the fall to see if these are even going to be options on the Civic will be an inconvenience, especially if these changes aren't in the car; but since we are purchasing the car to give to her, I would gladly deal with the inconvenience for the safety of it all. Should I gamble that the changes will be there?

Also, I'm very interested in what the actual average mpg on the 2008 Civic has been for anyone driving a 2008.
    My mileage has been steadily 30/36 after two years of ownership and still lovin' this car. My 1st Honda product and I can honestly say it's exceeded all my expectations. And, we've owned Toyota's, Nissan's, Mazda's & now Honda and the Honda is the best of breed in my humble opinion. Planning on adding a Hyundai Elantra later this year, as my oldest has her heart set on one.
    Can't really go wrong with any of these small econoboxes for trouble free, cheap transportation. Isn't that getting to be an oxymoron now like jumbo shrimp? Lol! But seriously, with the future gas prices a big unknown, all great choices.

• rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    I could see bluetooth for the 09. Probably with the navigation system if the Accord is of any indication. Also a repackaged Blueconnect unit might be avaliable on non navigation models. The blueconnect Hands free link doesn't have speaker integration. The one with navigation does have the speaker integration.
  • veldevelde Posts: 17
    Sandman46 - How or why do you think these changes will take place? I've been to the Honda website and I couldn't find anything. The dealers either don't know or aren't talking. One said Honda keeps everthing tightly under wraps until the release.
    Just look at the last couple of generations of the Civic and Accord. It's an easy swap requiring no retooling on their part...all they do is flip the rear tail lights or change the configuration of the turn signal or the reverse lights. A car person like myself can spot the mid year refresh in a heartbeat. Still miss the '50's and '60's when the car makers changed the models on a yearly basis. We grew up with our family business getting my mom a new Caddy every other year and they changed the look each year. The other GM, Ford and Chrysler cars did the same thing. I used to be able to tell what year and make a car was just by looking at it...my passion even back then. Must've got my love of the automobile from my grandpa who owned a Dodge dealership when I was young. My favorite time of the year was September when the new models showed up.
    Also, just look at the '02 Camry and the refresh done with the '05 model.

Still think a USB port has a chance. One guy at the ride and drive for the 09 Pilot said the USB port said get used to it. Probably an EX/EX-L feature. The current nav system can easily be adapted to it. Just have to update the software.
    Civic Colors
    CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL/BLACK
    ATOMIC BLUE METAL/GRAY
    ROYAL BLUE PEARL/GRAY
    CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL/GRAY
    POLISHED METAL METALLIC/GRAY
    RALLYE RED/BLACK
    ALABASTER SILVER METALLIC/BLACK
    ALABASTER SILVER METALLIC/GRAY
    TAFFETA WHITE/GRAY

Si Colors
    CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL/BLACK
    DYNO BLUE PEARL/BLACK
    POLISHED METAL METALLIC/BLACK
    REDLINE ORANGE PEARL/BLACK
    RALLYE RED/BLACK
    ALABASTER SILVER METALLIC/BLACK
    TAFFETA WHITE/BLACK

Hybrid Colors
    ATOMIC BLUE METAL/BEIGE
    MAGNETIC PEARL/BLUE
    CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL/BEIGE
    POLISHED METAL METALLIC/BEIGE
    ALABASTER SILVER METALLIC/BLUE
    SPECTRUM WHITE PEARL/BLUE

Just got this off of another forum. Did a quick copy/paste. Hybrid is going to get both a cloth and leather model for 09. Looks like some changes in the colors. You can get a black interior on non Si. Don't know about beige on non hybrid. Si gets black only. Hope this helps.
    Were there any early pics in that site? Would be curious to see what's planned for the front & rear fascias with the new model...if any. But using past history as a guide, bet there will be some small noticeable tweaks. Makes people think they're getting something extra and it's interesting to see what the designers can come up with within their parameters so no retooling will be necessary.

No pics. Honda is very flexible in their plants. The plant in Alliston can easily adapt to any Honda vehicle. Gotta get a spy photog to get some.
    If the 2003-2005 vs. 2006-2007 Accords are any indication, Honda is willing to make very big changes to a design if they feel it necessary. Fortunately, the Civic is already darn good-looking, and many think so.

The previous 2003-2005 Accord was accused of having droopy styling on the rear, they made a major update for 2006 (the model of Accord I drive).
    Perhaps that USB port is a big change. The audio systems can be adapted to it. Bluetooth will require modifying the nav system. If the 08 accord is of any indication then non nav cars won't get bluetooth.
    I guess Leather is hitting the hybrid as an option. I guess some people would love the gas mileage of the hybrid but wanted leather seats. Might be a nice vehicle. The global small hybrid sounds nice too.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    If both leather and a better audio system are a possibility with the Hybrid for '09, then maybe a sunroof will also become part of the options mix too. Speaking for myself, that would certainly be a deal maker for this Civic version. With stability control also? I'm the first in line, checkbook in hand. ;)

Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
    Maybe no sunroof. It could add some extra weight which will affect performance. Maybe they will. An upgraded stereo system would be possible. Stability control is quite likely for the hybrid. USB port is probably likely. So is bluetooth for navigation models. USB port would be very nice since it would provide a built in iPod adaptor for newer 5th gen and up iPods.
    The extra aero-drag created by the moonroof leads me to believe there won't be one.
    There is a new iPod music link coming out but it probably won't be USB. I still think the USB port will come out but only on EX/EX-L/Hybrid/Si models. The new music link could be usb based but it seems to be the current one which is junk.
  • No photos yet, but the Civic 4 Doors will be available in the following trims, no changes made in the trim levels for 2 door models

DX
    VP
    LX
    LX-S
    EX
    EX-L
    SI
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    Any info on what constitutes the VP and LX-S trims? My guess (and hope) is that LX-S means LX with stability control.
    The color guide mentioned Hybl which means hybrid with leather. LX-S could be a more sportier model or what.
    Regarding the LX-S (LX-Sport).

I'd expect it to be an LX but with something like alloy wheels and a couple of extra niceties. Look at the LX-P (LX-Premium) Accord Sedan or LX-S (LX-Sport) Accord Coupe to get an idea of the changes from the LX.

The VP (Value Package)...

Honda has usually been based on the base model (DX, in this case) but with things like A/C and Cruise Control added. It is more like a DX with a popular equipment package, usually.

Hope this helps.