Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extended Warranty - Toyota Extra Care

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    edited June 2013
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide says that oil changes and filters and a couple of tire rotations will run you about $676 over 45,000 miles (that's for a Beverly Hills zip code, so your actual costs could be less).

So the Maintenance is close to a wash, assuming the dealer doesn't upsell you something every time you go in for service. I'd rather take care of all that stuff myself and not get tied into a plan. Don't forget that your first two years of maintenance are free too, so you're only buying ~20,000 miles of maintenance.

The 2013 Highlander's warranty is 3/36 for the basic coverage and 5/60 for the drivetrain. My guess is that the extended warranty is aimed at the drivetrain too; in any event you are only getting 2 years and 40,000 miles extra on the drivetrain. But you may come out ahead if the electronics go south on you and the extended warranty covers those parts.

I don't believe in buying extended warranties. Some people wait until the factory warranty is almost up before buying one. That way they have an idea of how reliable their car is (and they may have wrecked or sold it in the meantime). If you purchased a Toyota backed extended warranty, you may not be able to buy it again if you cancel it now so check on that before asking for your money back.

If you didn't buy a warranty backed by Toyota, I'd dump it for sure.

Enjoy the new ride!
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    $600 for 4 yrs/45k miles of "Maintenance" looks like a fair price, depending on what that includes. Oil changes & tire rotation alone every six months can add up to that sum in four years.
  • ben123456ben123456 Posts: 6
    Hi Steve, thanks for your message, the extended warranty is called Toyota extra care , it covers everything (inlcuding all electronics) bumper to bumper pretty much except wear and tear like tires, brakes etc. I will go check with the dealer if I can take it back...
  • ben123456ben123456 Posts: 6
    famwald, $600 Maintenance include oil chnages , tire rotations and two major services (30000 and 45000) for four years. So like you said I think it is fair price for maintenance. One thing that bugs me is the warranty for 1000 bucks...and I am just consoling myself that I am not paying this upfront included both in the 0% finance for 60 months :)
    Most states have a law generically known as the 3-day "cooling off" period on a contract. Perhaps you can cancel if you're within the 3 days. Otherwise, don't second guess yourself. You have bought peace of mind. Inside seven years, anything could go wrong and you might get your money's worth out of it. That's my 2-cents.
    edited June 2013
    That's an old wives tale I'm afraid. The only cooling off period applies to door-to-door sales (think encyclopedias and vacuum cleaners). NJ will let you take a lease contract home overnight and I think CA has some used car laws about unwinding deals, but once you drive a new car off the lot, it's yours.

Can You Return the Car You Just Bought?
    I agree with you about the car, but the extended warranty....?
    Oh right, sorry about that. Sometimes I skim a bunch of boards and forget what the thread was really about. :blush:

Seems like most extended warranties can be canceled up to 30 days but it varies. Have to look at the contract. For a while one or two companies (Honda?) would give you your money back if you never made a claim during the extended warranty period.
    edited June 2013
    " For a while one or two companies (Honda?) would give you your money back if you never made a claim during the extended warranty period. "

We once bought that type warranty in 1999, on a used Ford Explorer with 4-wheel drive, purchased (locally) for our teenage son. It was through Hendricks Motor Group, a national company. After the 3 or 4 years ran with no claims, we got 100% of our money back with no hassle. Very nice deal.
  • japudejapude Posts: 8
    We recently purchased a 2013 new Toyota vehicle. Also was conned by finance guy to buy extended warranty. Which I later realized was not from Toyota. Some third party warranty. So cancelled it. Have not received refund so far. Later went to another dealer here in Atlanta. The dealer initially offered my similar 3rd party warranty. But when insisted for Toyota Extra Care, they said it is not offered by dealers in 5 states that constitutes Southeast of US. Is that true or one of the lies of dealer to sell same junk warranty? Anyone has bought TEC from a dealer in Atlanta area recently? Will TEC be honored if I buy it from another state that's not part of South East Toyota Distributor network?
    Sounds like it's probably true - the captive Toyota distributors have a reputation for adding on junk to increase profits so using their own warranty would fit.

Regional Pricing and/or Option Differences for Toyota Models

You might try a TN dealer and see if they'll sell you a "real" Toyota warranty. I used the Chattanooga dealer for a repair and was happy with their service, but that was back in 1984.
  • japudejapude Posts: 8
    Thanks Steve for confirming that that's the way to go. I guess once "real" Toyota warranty is purchased, it won't be a problem to get vehicle serviced at any of the Toyota dealer nationwide. I may have to do same as what you did after 30 years..

Why is this not made very evident by Toyota that the distributor have stronger hold on what to offer in region than Toyota. Why doesn't dealers advertise themselves as Southeast Toyota Dealer or Gulf State Toyota Dealer rather than just Toyota Dealer when they do not sell warranty product that Toyota is offering. Honda does not do that. Recently we purchased another vehicle from Honda. Though finance guy tried to sell third party warranty, he finally gave me Honda Care upon insistence.
    Well, those distributors "took a chance" on a little car company decades ago and lots of others didn't do so well (Simca, Peugeot and Yugo come to mind offhand). So they had clout back in the day and are still taking advantage of their favorable distribution terms.

You'd think they'd offer a choice though, like the Honda dealers, since those in the know won't buy the "off-brand" and SET is leaving some money on the table.

Some dealers are big on "additional dealer markup" and they don't advertise that either. But it's getting easier and easier to research this stuff at least.
  • was quoted a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty yesterday for around $1600 from the finance managed, we declined. we also get gap coverage through our insurances for $30 a year, so didn't buy that either.

Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota quoted me $689 for that warranty.
  • A few months ago I purchased a 2013 Toyota Sienna XLE in Texas. The finance guy at the dealer gave me the usual talk and quoted me over $2,000 for an 8-year / 100,000 mile extended warranty. I already knew about Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota from these forums so I decided to check with him. His quote was much better (about $1,000) for the same 8-year full Toyota warranty and his e-mail was very upfront about pricing and details of the warranty. Once I e-mailed him back, he gave me a call the same night and got everything set up over the phone. A few weeks later I received the paperwork from Toyota and the warranty matched exactly what he quoted. I'm very happy I called Jerry since he was honest and fair. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for an extended warranty from Toyota.

A few other helpful notes: Jerry told me that he sells to people all over the country since you can buy an extended warranty from any dealer. Also, he mentioned that anyone with less than both 3 years & 36,000 miles is still eligible for the extended warranty, so if you missed the opportunity when you bought the car you still might have some time.
  • Is the extended warranty you bought Toyota Extra Care or third party warranty? If it's Toyota Extra Care, what's the contact information (email, phone) of Jerry? I am in SouthEast Toyota region. And they don't want to sell Toyota Extra care. They would sell all third party warranties.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    I saw your post and I had Jerry's email since I too have contacted him concerning an extended warranty for our 2012 Limited.
    jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
  • Hello,
    Im looking for some advice. My mother purchased a camry today at Toyota of Bakersfield and was sold an extended warranty on the 2013 Camry she bought.
    I'm pretty sure she was majorly ripped-off with the extended warranty. They sold her a 7 yr/100,000 mile for almost $3000. I unfortunately was called by her when she was signing papers and walked in when he was explaining the warranty. I advised against it but he told her it would be a big mistake not to buy it and that she couldn't buy it any other time and that the car would be worthless if she didn't buy it. I asked him numerous times "Are you sure you can only buy it now?" and he told me yes and if she didn't buy it now she wouldnt have any warranty. I come home to research this and I believe he lied to us... Did she get ripped off? Can you purchase an extended warranty after you purchase the car (I've seen some info where you have 30 days after car purchase?)
    I'm pretty sure he took advantage of an older lady.
    She unfortunately paid the full amount right away (of the car & warrentyalso ) so I'm not sure if we could cancel the extended warranty?
    We're keeping the car even though she overpaid for that also. I was just hoping I could help her save on this $3000 extended warranty plan (unless I'm wrong and she didn't get ripped off?)
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Your mother was dealing with a real shyster. This is type of guy that gives car salespeople a bad name. Demand to see the general manager or the owner of the dealership and insist on your money back for the warranty. The camry has a three year warranty on everything and a five year warranty on the powertrain. There is nothing wrong with an extended warranty, but not at this crazy price. You can buy the extended warranty at a later date and from any Toyota dealer. It does not have to be the selling dealer of the car.
  • Hi guys,
    I was told by a Toyota salesman that you can't buy an extended warranty out of your marketing area. He said that its illegal and would be worthless.
    I was gonna buy from Jerry but since I'm in California, Im not sure if I could.
    Have any of you heard this?