Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

your discussions from Subaru Crew - Modifications
(Topic #16)
here!

Bonnie Rick
Conferences Manager, Edmunds.com Town Hall

Comments

• miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    hehe, Gus, you're cheatin with the time zone difference! ;-p

..Mike

..Mike

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I will have to check on the weight, thought the manual said 2500, but I'll check it. Yes the XT6 was expensive. (Sticker of 19,500 in '88!!!) It's only 145 horses though so the impreza should be speedier...

-mike
    Well carpoint has something screwy on their pages... In 1988 they have 4 cars listed:

XT coupe
    XT 4wd coupe
    XT6 4wd
    XT6 4wd turbo

The XT6 4wd is 2795lbs, the XT6 4wd Turbo is 2865lbs.

Now in '88 there were:
    XT Fwd
    XT Turbo (1.8l turbo) Fwd
    XT Turbo 4wd

XT6 Fwd
    XT6 4wd

The XT6 never came in a turbo model.

I shall research some more and find out my results.

-mike
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    19mm is a good place to start. I am running a Whiteline18-20-22 bar set to 20mm on an otherwise stock OB, and am very happy with it. It did very well at the track. IF I had a GT with lower sidewalls, better COG, stiffer suspension, etc., I would consider bumping it to the 22mm setting, but I don't so I won't. 20mm is just about perfect for what the rest of the OB setup can handle, given it came with 18mm stock. Start with the 19"; it won't be a radical change, but you'll feel it. After you take a driving course or two you may want to adjust up...just make sure your significant other knows, or there could be a nasty surprise on a slick exit ramp one day!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You mean 19mm, not 19". You don't even have enough clearance for a 19" bar! :o)

XT6 4wd Turbo? Best kept secret? ;)

-juice
    Maybe I should do that, slap a TT on the XT6, then it would really have some zig! My mechanic and I are actually trying to find some rear performance shocks for it right now for when we do the air-suspension conversion, we are not having much luck :(

-mike
    I guess that's the catch with a fairly rare car. Few are familiar with it, plus aftermarket parts are hard to come by.

Bummer.

-juice
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    I didn't know the XT6 has all those luxo crap too. heheheh.... I guess it ain't that light after all huh?
    It's a very mis-understood car! Even @ 2800lbs, an H6 under the hood, and a slush box, it's pretty speedy. I gave the Impreza guys who had sticks, rear bars and upgraded tires a run for their money @ auto-x. After I complete the suspension conversion, and put Juice's 15" rims with some good tires on and a K&N filter it should be in much better shape! Did I mention I love that car? I really need to take a pick of the front or back with my AWD 4ME NY plates on it and send it into Drive mag.

-mike
  • Thanks for all the input.

Lucien - I think the rear bar on my GT is either 15 or 16mm. Is the OB 19mm?

bit
    Stock OB is 18mm. I guess 'cause of the height.
    Really? That surprises me. Not bad for OE.

-juice

PS You ought to play with the settings in a snowy parking lot, to see at what point oversteer appears
  • I am interested in knowing which companies are producing anti-roll bars, strut tower braces, and other suspension and go-fast goodies for Subarus (in particular the Legacy GT). I already know quite a few, including STi of course, but am always interested who else is out there.

You can post names (and websites if you have 'em), or email to me directly at gedwards@subaru.ca.

Thanks!

Greg
  • Greg -

Cobb Tuning just started carrying the Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar for 00+ Legacys:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/main.html

bit
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    We have a spy here guys. Don't tell 'em. He'll tell Subaru to not honour the warranty on out sway bars. ;-)

I notive you're from Subu of Canada. Mississauga branch?
    Anyways companies that makes 'em : FHI, JC Sport, MRT, Cusco, is whiteline adjustables from MRT? anyhow those are the ones I know...
    errr.... I've been doing my routine oil change at a Subaru dealership sir yes sir!!! :D
    Here is the bible:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gndiamant/subaru.htm

Look under parts & service, then americas. There are dozens of vendors.

SPT sells sway bars for the Impreza/Forester, but I'm not sure about the GT.

-juice
    Oh, we got oversteer, but only in a turn with throttle lift and/or brake input. The car feels very controlled and communicative right now, very stable, with less oversteer. I think going to 22mm without additional upgrades elsewhere will make the car too tail happy. It really feels very good right now.

Sway bar suppliers:

www.spdusa.com
    www.cobbtuning.com
    www.rallispec.com

to name a few.
  • dzartmandzartman Posts: 112
    One thing I've seen at Cobb's site but have heard no feedback on are the Borla headers. Anybody heard results on this mod? What kind of power gains?

Dave
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    The Borla headers definitely boost torque in the mid rpm ranges and taper off a bit at high rpm (probably because of the design).

However, there are several folks on the iclub that have gotten check engine lights related to the first oxygen sensor after installing the new Borla header.

I can't recall anyone getting this with the original design, and honestly I haven't followed the threads too closely because I'm not going to buy one.

-Colin