Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    njswamplands Aug 6, 2003 6:34pm

Bob-
    Noone anyone of us know ;-)

I'm not a fan of screens where I have to take my eyes completely of the road. I am currently using the Garmin SPIII and am very satisfied with it.

-Dave
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    But I'm curious if the turning ratio is any better. Anyone have info on the '96 L turning ratio v. the WRXs?

-mike
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    The "work in progress" continues, nice to see it. What's next?

Ed
    Good question, well next on the list is the RS wheels and new Toyos, no pics but that is done.

Next actual mods...

Relocate Battery to Trunk
    Replace Battery with ultra-light weight one
    Put in some foam on the interior so I don't get all scratched up by the bare metal
    WRX Driver and Passenger Seats
    Engine back exhaust pipes with resonators, true dual 1.75"
    Front sway bar
    Possibly a WRX steering rack, if it has a better ratio than the L's
    EdLark6's Paint Scheme :)

-mike
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    mike, don't think the standard WRX rack is any different. not sure that the USDM STi is even different (I know the japanese one is-- but that's RHD so who cares).

-Colin
    Thanks Colin. Wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. I may pickup the WRX rack, just to have as a backup in the event of a failure down the road.

-mike
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Colin/mike: I wonder if there are any LHD quick racks on the European continent? Maybe worth posting over on Scoobynet to find out - even though they're in RHD country too.

mike: It looks like there are some kind of stickers on the L's outside mirrors. What are they?

Ed
    Ed,

the only substantially quicker racks come from LHD rallycar shells-- and as you can imagine, they're pricey.

at least this is what I remember from 2-3 years ago.

-Colin
    They are "TEAM IAC.COM" stickers :)

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Do you guys have a name for the "L", or are you sticking to simply "L"?

-Dennis
    For now it's "Da L" "The L" "Team Whore Car" "Beater" "$500 wonder" Hee hee.

But we should come up with a name for it.

I'm gonna enter it into the GRM $2004 challenge next year :)

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,727
    I'm almost certain that the US-spec STi has a faster steering ratio than the stock WRX. It's not as quick as the 'right-now-quick' steering found on the EVO, but it's faster than the WRX.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, the 2003 Forester got a quicker ratio than the 2002. I think it went from 19:1 to 16:1 that model year.

The Impreza might have been 16:1 all along, though.

You need Pat do custom build you a mesh grille!

-juice
    Why not! The car has parts from at least 10+ NASIOC and Edmunds users already :)

-mike
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,938
    Eric, if you want mostly to get rid of the spongy pedal feel, I would suggest, stainless steel brake lines front and back,MRT master cylinder bracket, there are mixed reactions to the bracket.

It is a bit of a pain to install but I personally found a big improvement in pedal feel, I also changed the brake fluid to dot5.1, I went one step further and installed Wilwood four piston front calipers.

My suggestion would be to try all the mods I did less the four piston calipers, then if you like the brake feel try something like Hawk or axis brake pads.

Cheers Pat.
  • I am seriously thinking about debadging my 98L. I know there are positioning holes in the rear lid for the word SUBARU. I am wondering if there are any for the word FORESTER? and how many holes for the SUBARU. I plan on putting vinyl decal that just say FORESTER, similiar to the ones on the front fenders but bigger, to cover the holes. Any feedback welcomed.

Thanks
    Mike
    I don't think there are any holes.
    Just heat up the letters with a hair dryer and use dental floss to help remove them. IIRC, that is.

-Dennis
  • I should have been more specific, my car is a 98 Forester. I know there are not any holes in the imprezas of that model year but I am pretty sure there are positioning holes in the Forester rear hatch.

Mike
    Just throw on a couple of rally stickers. :-D

Anyone else with some better ideas? :-)

-Dennis
    2 holes, IIRC. On the SUBARU letters, not sure which ones. I do not think there are holes under the Forester badge, though.

Let me know how it comes out. My letters have faded slightly.

-juice
  • wmiller4wmiller4 Posts: 97
    Seeing as how "The L" is made up of "parts from at least 10+ NASIOC and Edmunds users already", might I suggest a name?

Frankenstein!

It worked for the Edgar Winter Group!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,727
    Frankenru? ;)

Bob
    great pics!

who are the people?

-Colin
    Who had the two classic RSs? They look sharp.

I'm gonna mail you a few cans of spray paint! That'll be my contribution to FrankenSubie.

-juice
    We are in talks with a tire manufacturer to get the car painted for free :) (with their logo of course) We'll see how it pans out.

Zephyr drives the Blue one, and Adam drives the silver one. The silver was due back at carmax, but they gave a crazy low price for it :(

-mike
    The used car market is depressed. He should try to sell it himself.

Good luck with the paint deal. I'm sure it'll look better than the Krylon job I'd have done! :o)

-juice
    Coupe Door Panels for a GC8. Impreza/Impreza L/RS doesn't matter. We gutted TOO much and now I need to put them back cause the raw metal is a bit dangerous. Will also be looking to cage it as well.

-mike
    A buddy has a VW Microbus, and his door panels rotted out. He replaced them with a neat custom-made wood veneer, stained and all.

You could make a custom one out of any material, wood or maybe a very light plastic?

-juice