Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,925
    I have to admit to a bit of a warped sense of humour every time I read a post where some body thinks they are gonna get a bunch more horsepower for a minimal outlay. Having been there and done that for many years, I can speak from experience and declare extra horses ain't cheap. :D

Cheers Pat.
  • Anyone know where I can get a center console for a 2003 WRX which has cup holders? I don't like the cupholder being above the CD player and would prefer the way the later models have the cup holders beside the emergency brake.
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Did an interesting mod today.
    Removed the underseat woofer and mounted it on the under side of the seat base with bungie cords.

Result:
    - The woofer now fires towards the floor.
    - Adjusting the High Cut and Gain is so much easier vs when it was on the floor.
    - The subwoofer no longer obstructs the floor vent passge.
    - No earth shaking, just better less muffled sounding base.

And,...

- my toosh gets a nice massage :shades:

Only wished I'd heated seats - heated massge :D

-Dave
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,733
    Dave,

That would also keep it safe (safer...) from 'yogurt bombs' like the one my daughter tossed under the seat!!!!

Steve
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Hmmm... yogart bombs...
    didn't think that does happen.
    Guess it does :D

The mod hasn't been subjected to the S/O test. If she hates it there, it's back to the floor. :(
    But, I'll keep the woofer on my side up there.

-Dave
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    I had Cobb cams and a whole lot of other goodies on my '99 2.5RS. 20HP is about right for a best case scenario.

Save yer money... :)

~Colin
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    I miss the under the seat sub. The Forester has it in the wrong place (cargo area). :disco: :D

-Dennis
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Well I'm finally gonna get down to doing some mods on the Legacy Turbo soon. Picked up a Bosal Divorced Wastegate DP and plan to get that in along with catless custom midpipe mated up to my Scooby Sport UK muffler. After that the next plan is for a TD04 turbo, MBC and WRX intercooler. Hopefully should bump it up to about 200hp and 230lbs from the stock 165hp/190lbs torque We shall see though.

-mike
  • joeb24joeb24 Posts: 111
    I have a 2006 Outback LL Bean and am considering window tinting. Does anybody have experience with Ziebart? If not Ziebart, can anyone recommend another outfit? I live in northern VA (the DC area).
  • I just bought 2006 Subaru Forester L.L. Bean edition, and am thinking about putting rear diff. protector, but I'm not sure if I would benefit from it.

I don't think I will be driving it offroad, but I live in minnesota and we get a lot of snow. would I benefit from installing it or would I be wasting money doing so?

Thanks.

P.S., how hard is it to install it?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I have one on my '98. There are a couple of deep scratches on it so it's not useless, for sure.

It takes 4 bolts to install, but on mine I had to remove a couple of exhaust hangers to have clearance. You might not have to, or you might have low-profile tools to avoid having to do that.

I did the trailer hitch at the same time. Finished both in one morning, not too bad.

Figure 1-2 hours if you have a low-profile wrench that fits, 2-3 if you don't.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    Its an easy install. If you have some 14 or 15mm gear wrenches, you shouldn't need to mess with the exhaust hangers.

That being said, if you plan to do your own differential fluid, you might want to do one of three things

1) cut a notch around the bottom of the diff protector such that the drain hole won't allow the fluid to drain into the protector vs the bucket

2) Get a Prodrive unit. costs more but looks like the shield unbolts fairly easy

3) Loosen up the two rear studs, remove the two rear-most bolts, loosen the front most bolts and swivel the unit down for drainage. That takes about an extra 15 minutes.

HTH

Larry
    Just change the fluid before you add the skid plate. Then you won't have to worry about it for a while.

I basically used some rags and it wasn't a big problem.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Is Subaru offering the rear differential protector anymore? Or do you have to go 3rd party for that? I don't notice it on the options page anymore.

Mark
  • Thanks for your reply.

I guess I will install it on my car. But I'm new to this rear differential fluid thing. Do I have to change it sometime?, if so, how often do I have to change it?

Also, do I need a jack to lift the car before installing it? (I have never worked on a car before.. not even oil change, not even tire rotation..)
    Some people change every 30k miles. I did mine at 60k and to be honest it wasn't really that dirty. But I would not wait longer than that.

My Miata's was dirty after 30k miles, though it was 8 years old at the time.

-juice
  • For some unknown reson I want to make my 03 OB more industrial and put a pushbar on it.

Have only seen these on the Australian sites. Any know if any are offered in the US?

Thx
    Robert
  • masanmasan Posts: 77
    It's about time to replace the Geo's on my Forester. I'm thinking about going with Yoko Avid H4's and getting a tire/wheel package from Tire Rack. Any recommendations for inexpensive wheels to replace the steelies? They have a Sport Edition D5 with an offset of +50 mm. Would that be OK for a Forester with a 48 offset? I thought about ordering a set of alloys from 1st Subaru Parts, but they're more expensive.
    Three years ago I purchased a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack for winter use on my '02 OBW (225/60-16). At the time I wanted the Sport Edition Fox 2, but they were out of stock, and I ended up with the S.E. Fox 5 instead. They are made by Fomb in Italy (they make Milli Miglia as well), and after 3 winters the painted and sealed finish is wearing beautifully. I like the look (five thin double spokes), and the price was very reasonable. Unfortunately, it does not look like it is offered any more. The offset is indeed very slightly off, but the rep at Tire Rack claims they are within acceptable limits, and on their internal approved list.... whatever that really means....

Steve
    I have the Falken Ziex 512s on my Miata, and I'm happy enough with them that I'll get another set for my Forester when the time comes. Grip is impressive.

-juice
  • Man, I think I got myself into more trouble than I thought. I purchased Rear Differential Protector for my 2006 Forester from online store to save some money, and now I need to buy a torque wrench and jack stands. (I have never worked on this kind of stuff before...)

any good brand/place for torque wrench/jack stands to buy?
  • Can anyone give me detailed instructions for removing the radio head unit from 2005 Outback 2.5i Wagon (automatic transmission). I want to install an FM modulator so that I can connect my Sirius satellite radio receiver directly into the the radio. I need to know how to remove the dashboard trim around the radio without damaging the trim. Thanks. davidd4
    You can do that job with Rhino Ramps, about $35 at shops like Pep Boys.

They are versatile, and low profile means even my Miata can drive up them for oil changes.

You'll need jack stands to do things like rotate tires and work on brakes.

-juice
  • Thanks for your reply, Juice.

I happen to find this in Pepboy, check this out.

Link to Pepboy Ad

Check out the first page item.. Torin Big Red 36" Creeper, 2 ton Double locking jack stands (2 of them), and 2 tone trolley jack for 30 bucks? this sounds like a good deal, but I don't know how good this brand is. Also would 2 ton be good enough for Forester?

Thanks for your help.
  • masanmasan Posts: 77
    Thank you, Steve.

I notice that Tire Rack lists wheels with varying offsets for the Forester: +52, +45, +50. There are a few +48's in the more expensive range.

What about the difference in sizes: some are listed as 16 x 6.5; others are 16 x 7 and 16 x 7.5.

Will any of these work just as well as stock steelies or alloys? I don't understand all the differences and want to get something to replace the steelies which are rusting and peeling around the lug nuts.
    Unfortunately, not owning a Forester, I cannot tell you much. In the case of the Outback wagon ('02), the stock alloy was 16x6.5, and the Fox5's are 16x7. I don't remember (or even know where to look it up...) what the correct offset is, or what the Fox5 are. I wimped out and asked TireRack if they listed these as a recommended match, and if they guaranteed the fit of wheel and tire to the application. I did check with Dunlop to be sure that the 225x60-16 tires would be OK on the half inch wider rim, which it is. So far, no problems.... But I admit that I did this mod as a leap of faith without checking any deeper into it.

Steve
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,349
    I believe some tire websites list the acceptable rim widths for each size of tire so you can check if a 7" rim is okay fro your application.

Jim
  • stantontstantont Posts: 148
    Has anyone had any experience putting driving lights in the existing bumper ports on a 2002 Legacy L (not the GT)? I would like more high-beam light, especially on the shoulders, and fill-in on winding roads. There are factory lights available that fit, but aftermarket would probably be cheaper, if they will fit into the existing bumper ports.

BTW, I finally found road test data on the NA engine with stick shift, in an Edmunds comparo test. It verified my seat-of-the-pants impression, that the stick is MUCH faster than the automatic (0-60 in about 9 sec instead of 11.7 sec). All this 10 months after I bought the car, but hey, it's always nice to feel vindicated...

Also BTW, this Legacy L wagon is proving to be the nicest people/bikes/canoe/kayaks transporter I have ever owned. 2 people and 2 bikes ride inside, wheels still on. 2-3 kayaks or one canoe on the Thule roof racks, solid as can be at 65-70 mph.

Great car!

Stanton
    $30 for all that is a screaming bargain. Do you have the stores locally? If so check it out in person. 2 tons is plenty, you only lift one corner or one half at a time.

Rims - call Tire Rack, work with them. Stock size is 6.5" wide, but I went with a 7" wide rim and they fit.

Tire Rack is conservative, they told me I could not get a 225/60R16 tires on a 16x7" rim to fit. Discount Tire Direct said it would. Tire Rack lost a sale, and they were wrong - my tires have never rubbed, and they have plenty of miles now.

So work with the techs. They basically won't let you buy a rim they don't think will fit. They don't even let you push the size much. Finally, they adjust the offsets to make sure it'll fit.

-juice
  • Hey, Thanks again for your reply.

In fact, I went and bought that jack package. however, I had to return it today.... It did not go high enough!! the highest the jack can go is just right below the frame of Forester.. I will have to buy something more expensve now...

About the rim, I will take your advise. I heard rims will go on sale pretty soon everywhere. I will get them in a week or two. how much did you pay for your rims and tires?