Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• I have a '96 Legacy Outback and after trying to reprogram the remotes I realized there is no button on the wiring harness near the keyless entry controller. What I did find is a broken brown wire in the harness (I presume where the switch is suppose to be) and a white wire with a black trace coming out the side of the controller, just hanging loose. Any ideas? I would like to put everything back the way it's suppose to be but those two wires have me a bit baffled as to where they go!
  • hi David

have you figured out how to install this?

thanks
  • movedormovedor Posts: 65
    I'm contemplating a project to put a LCD display in the back of headrests of our 2006 Outback limited plus a hard drive-based media player under the passenger seat (it can't be under the drivers seat because of the sub is already there).

I was going to use a regular DVD player built in the display, but the idea of dozens of DVDs spilled all over the car is not that appealing.

Besides, a good hard drive-based media player is so inexpensive and flexible that I think it well worth the extra labor. With a 80GB HD I can have about 80 1hr movies (that is, encoded specifically for the resolution of the LCD in the headrest, so it saves space).

But now I need to learn a few things before start ordering the parts.

Is there any +12V source available, easy access under the passenger seat?

I need to route a cable from the passenger's seat to the driver's seat. Is there good way to do it so it is not visible?

In case I screw up the installation of the LCD in the leather headrest, how much costs a new one? :-)
    I've looked at 1stsubaruparts.com and I can't tell which is the right one to order.
  • I've contemplated doing this too, and I have more questions than answers. But here are some thoughts.

First, I am not sure that the underseat location is ideal. Wouldn't it get too hot from the heating ducts in winter?

I would guess that you can run a wire off the power socket inside the armrest console. Also, I believe that if you remove the console, you can run the wire underneath the carpeting.

The new headrest should be under $100, but I suggest a junk yard first.

And please, let us know how it works out!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    F&S Auto Parts speciliazes in Subies, though I've never used them before. Never had to, I guess.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    And from what I hear juice, F&S Auto parts think their parts are goldplated,their prices are off the wall.

Cheers Pat.
  • movedormovedor Posts: 65
    The multimedia hard-drive is very small (see: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10481). Maybe it could fit in the armrest console, but I don't want to sacrifice the few storable spaces Outback has.

At this size I think I can find a place out of the way of air duct under the passenger seat. My real worry is possible HD damage from thr constant car vibration in bad roads.

Another idea is to place the HD unit right behind the LCD display in the headrest. But unless I find something with a good swivel to take out the HD, I would have to unmount the lcd everytime I need to upload new movies.

Right now I'm looking for the ideal LCD display: one that has IR transmiter for headphones and IR repeater for the multimedia HD. Without a IR repeater it will be hard to control the HD unit since it only works via its IR remote.

As soon I get all parts (probably the extra headrest) I will make a try and post the results.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    Hey guys, I stumbled across this on ebay and just had to share. The address is way long. You will probably need to copy and paste. (edit: the link works)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4606901002&- - - - - sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

It's an 1986 wagon that was a promo-car for an after-market parts supplier. The auction has ended. It sold for $2850. The listing has a link to a video (with sound) of it crossing a river that must be close to 3 feet deep (well, maybe 2.5 ft). For the money, it would be a hoot to own such a toy.

james
    Looks like fun.

What surprises me is how clean it is, looks like no rust at all, for an '86 that's been in the rough stuff? Wow...

-juice
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    There are a lot of old Subies in Oregon and Washington. Subarus have always sold pretty well in the Pacific NW and we don't salt the roads here, so rust is less of a problem than back east.

They seem to last forever. Here's a quick sample from Craig's List... just ones with photos. There are more :surprise:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/129631372.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/129667538.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/129474325.html

An old Subie wagon would make a fine second car if well taken care of... or as a recreational vehicle. Check out the load of kayaks on the last one!!!

james
    In the NE they tend to salt the roads, so we see a lot more rust. And those Subies were the only cars out on the roads in those situations. ;)

-juice
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Some people just know how to travel. :P

I'm not sure what that thing on the driver's side is - a rocket box? Probably full of breakdown paddles and pfds.

Some guy here is advertising on Craigslist seeking a one-owner used Outback. I resisted responding.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Pretty cool video!!!
  • Has anyone added this after driving the stock shifter for a while? Did you think it was an improvement or not?

Contemplating this change but looking for some feedback.

Thanks!
    -Ian

p.s. Sorry for the x-post but I thought this might be a better place to get some feedback. I've searched but haven't come up with a whole lot of input. Thanks!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I put it on my 94 Legacy Turbo. I love it.

-mike
    Hey guys, just got back from VIR for 3 days of racing/HPDEing. Had a blast as it snowed on Saturday! I actually lapped most of the cars during my sessions in the snow and no one passed me. Gotta love the AWD.

Next items for the car will be coilovers and cage before race season starts.

-mike
  • Mike,

I saw some pics on the nabisco site of the last VIR event and your car was in one of the shots. How many "crew" members do you take with you when you travel? Do you share track time with anyone in your crew? Just curious. I would love to go watch a track event sometime in the future.

Michael
  • ll1ll1 Posts: 35
    Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about ECU mods for a 2005 forester XT such as the Cobb AccessPORT. Sounds great on paper, but also heard some stories of problems as well? Would only think about Stage 1 mod myself anyways, and wondering if it is a safe modification at all....
    Cool mike, I bet the others were more nervous driving, too.

-juice
    We usually take anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 folks along. The more they help the less it costs them to come along :) Since I'm an instructor I can take passengers out on track with me so I usually get the crew out for at least a ride along. Generally it's folks who can't afford the track day itself (~$150-200) but want to be involved and come hang. We always hope the crew gets into driving eventually and I've found that most who transition from crewing to driving have a big advantage because they are so much more comfortable at the track, with the car, and have heard us spouting about driving on track for a year or so!

Always have fun at the track, next event is March 25th at Limerock if anyone is in the area.

-mike
  • Now I know that it was covered a couple of pages back, but this is still eluding me. I recently purchased a couple of things for my car, and one of them was the electrochromatic auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass. I followed the instructions to a T, and needless to say, I couldn't find the wire in the overhead that it said would be there when I released the maplight assembly. There are two wires connected to the harness, and neither of them has the required connector to connect to the mirror. Can anyone tell me where to find this phantom wire? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • For some reason, I've been having trouble with info regarding this, although it would seem like a major spec on short-throw shifters.

TWM Performance offers a Subaru short shifter that is actually shorter than stock - according to their website (which has side-view pics, unlike other shifter sites) switching to their shifter reduces the shift height by about 2". Is the TWM the only shifter that does this? It seems like Cobb, Kartboy, and STI shifters all alter the thisftyer throw without actually shortening the shifter. Am I right on this?

It seems to be that everybody upgrading their shifter would want a nice, stubby Mazda or Audi-type shifter, so why isn't every short-throw like this? Is there a disadvantage to shortening the whole shift lever?
  • fj60fj60 Posts: 28
    IMHO, the Legacy STI short throw really should be called a medium throw at best. I was expecting the shifter to feel like (or come close to) the WRX STI shifter. It does not. I'm unsure about the effects of changing the height of the shifter, but you'll need to go aftermarket if you're looking for a shift throw that is significantly shorter than stock.

FJ60
  • fj60fj60 Posts: 28
    I recently had the ProDrive axle-backs installed on my 2005 GT. I notice the difference every time I start the car. Nice growl without sounding like my neighbor's WRX with the coffee can-diameter exhaust tip. I highly recommend this upgrade.

FJ60
    The STi 5-speed Short-throw shifter from Subaru doesn't change the height of the shifter, it changes the whole entire linkage with stiffer bushings, and changes the geometry of the linkage to provide shorter throws.

The other aftermarket "short" shifters simply make the shifter rod shorter which places it further from your reach and makes it shorter throws simply because the rod is shorter.

If you look at something like a rally shifter they are very long rods but very short throws. This makes it quicker to shift cause you aren't reaching to the floor to reach the shifter, although they look cool at meets!

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    According to an SOA press packet (a loose-leaf binder that went into great detaiI as to the specs and upgrades of the '06 models) I picked up at the Baltimore car show, the '06 WRX now comes with the short shifter standard. I know the shifting in my new WRX is pretty precise, and not rubbery at all. The shifts seem short and precise, but they're not ultra-short throws. I like it a lot.

Bob
    Wow I've been gone a while. :(

Congrats! I may actually be down in the DC area this friday picking up a 98 Legacy GT 5MT since my bonus was less than expected and the GTO out of the picture for me.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Yep, a black '06 WRX Limited wagon.

Pics can be found at Edmunds Carspace site: here.

Bob
    You don't want a shift lever that's 2" shorter, it'll be a stubby knob sticking out of the shift boot, you could hardly reach it.

Remember that you also give up leverage, so shifting becomes more difficult, not easier.

-juice
  • Yeah I thought of the leverage issue - I won't have trouble reaching it due to long arms. I just ordered it off ebay, so I'll let you guys know how it works out.