Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    I'm curious about peoples take on the Rear reading lamps that are available for the 06 OBWagon as an add-on. I saw that Subaru is now offering them as an accessory for the Wagon that has the moonroof. My question is: Has anyone doen this yet? If so, how does it look?

I don't normally have back seat passengers, but I have had one or two complaints of not neing able to see at night.

BTW, my dealer quoted me $107 for the pair installed.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Do you have Subaru Bucks? That's what I'd use for something like that. It's electrical, let them mess with it, if any problems creep up you're covered.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Actually I have a few Subaru bucks that will be expiring next year. That's what made me think of it! I was even toying with the thought of adding the subwoofer. Only thing with that is I was quoted $344 installed. I thought that may be a little high and debated getting it through my dealer.

Mark
    Get the parts and install them yourself. I bet it's half as much or less.

Get extra oil filters with the remaining Subaru Bucks, that's what I did with my last on-line order of accessories.

-juice
  • Howdy all!
    Been too long since checking in here. Hope everyone's doing well.

I've done too very simple mods to my '05 GT Wagon recently. The first was the JDM/EDM armrest extension/extra storage cubby. The instructions where in Japanese (where were you Ken?! ;)) but had great pictures so it was an easy 20 minutes of operating a screwdriver.

The second was a little more involved. I've been wanting to check out the STi STS so I bought one online locally using subie bucks. Then I got a couple install quotes. $350 at the dealership!!??!! I guess that should be STealership. Also $150 at a local shop. OUCH!

Anyway, I research further on the LGT.com site and found that the difference between the stock shifter and the STi STS is only the main shifting rod (sorry if the terminology is incorrect), basically the rod you screw the shift nob on to and move back and forth when shifting. Meaning the extra couple rods of metal attached to the STi STS are the same as what's there already. So I followed the fantastic instructions someone posted in a "Walk through" on the lgt.com site for the Kartboy shifter and it took me about 45 minutes.

Definitely feels shorter and crisper. Also a little bit "notchier". Not sure it's that great just yet but am getting used to it.

Next I'd like to add an aux input for my iPod and the Spec. B steering wheel controls. Both are a little out of my comfort zone though as they involve electricity and wires. Not something I'm familiar with (none of that stuff on my bicycles!!! ;)).

Cheers!
    -Ian
    Put some pics up on CarSpace. :shades:

-juice
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    So here's a little conundrum for you all.

The OBS currently sports pretty dinky single-pot discs up front. Most owners upgrade to WRX front brakes for a significant improvement, which is a cheap mod (~$100 on nabisco or ebay). BUT...15" rims don't clear. I'm running 16" SSR Comps and summer tires, plus I have the stock steelies with crap A/S no-names AND the nice looking 15" Alloys from the '99 Outback lying around. So, given the fact that we have very little money these days, should I:

a)leave the brakes alone and run the crappy off-brand A/S

b)get good A/S tires mounted on the alloys and call it a day

c)run the crappy A/S this winter, upgrade the brakes in the Spring, and hope I have a little dough to pick up a set of WRX takeoffs and RE92's next winter

d) ???

have at it.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    a) I wouldn't bother with your brakes unless you are doing track days or something similar that works your brakes a TON. and the stock calipers are dual piston btw, assuming they are the same as a '99 RS.

~Colin
    sadly, they are not the same as the RS. Single pots on the L and OBS until 1999, I think.

but you raise a good point....an intermediate upgrade to 2 pots and slightly bigger rotors, like off a Legacy or RS.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,927
    That is basically all you woul;d need Loosh, and it is a fairly cheap mod. The master cylinder brace that stops the firewall flex made a great differnce on The GT took away the mushy brake pedal.

Cheers Pat.
    I would upgrade the tires.

Unless you're getting brake fade now, the stock brakes have enough power to lock up the wheels, and anything more is overkill (unless you're gonna track it).

You should see the puny brakes on my Miata. They upsized in '94, mine's a '93. They fit easily in the 14" rims. Yet they can still lock up the tires no problem. No ABS.

-juice
    kinda how I feel too, although with drums in the back... :surprise: They don't feel all that competent. Meh. Probably a better idea from a safety standpoint to get good A/S tires for the winter instead of putting my trust in these, these, uh...Hercules 4000s :confuse:
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Go with upgrading the tires.
    The upgrade brakes would be of no use to you if the crappy tires won't hold.

-Dave
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Best all season tires for the money on the market! Love em!

-mike
    .....scored a set of WRX front brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) with 15k miles on them for $150 this week. Who knows when I'll get a chance to install them. I know from experience that this is the sort of thing that could take 2 hours, or two days, depending on how many hitches there are. At any rate, my winter rims won't clear them so it will be spring time before I attempt it.

But it is well regarded as a big, big upgrade on these cars. From teensy weensy rotors and single pot calipers to 2 pots and 10.5" rotors. More than makes up for the drums in back.
  • bertus24bertus24 Posts: 8
    I need to replace my dump valve in my scoob, this is something myself can do, but where the hell is it located.... :sick:
    dump valve? Are you speaking of the blow-off valve? Haven't heard it called a dump valve. Or wastegate?

-mike
    Yes, I am talking about the BOV..... Sorry... :D
    BOV is bolted right to the IC at least on the 02-06 WRXs. Question I have is why do you want to change it? It does de-power your car if you do that.

-mike
    I have the 2001 WRX, i have some lag on the turbo, and when i say that, when I pull off and the turbo kicks in, and go to second gear, the BOV doesnt do what it use to do, it did always dump the extra air out and you could hear how it dumps, you cant anymore, one of our dealer ships had a look and he siad I need to replace it otherwise I might end up replacing my turbo. So i believe him, he is the Subaru dealership.. Do you have s0me pointers you can give me? :D
    Where are you located? I'm assuming outside the US as there were no 2001 WRXs sold in the US. It could very well be your problem, so replace it with a stock one and see if it fixes it. It should be bolted to the Intercooler, 2 bolts on the firewall side.

-mike
    Yes I am, I am in South Africa.... I will have a look and see if i cant locate it, did Subaru manufactured BOV's on all scoobys?
    Ah ha. Cool. Yeah all the ones with intercoolers have a BOV. Your WRX should have one.

-mike
    Well I finally got fed up with the semi annual rebuild of the Willwood calipers, could never get the suckers to stop leaking. They ruined the clear coat on both front rims,

Anyway today I installed Subaru 4 pots and of course the 16" winter rims didn't clear the 4 pots so I had to buy rims as well. Pictures are in my carspace and I cannot figure out how to post them on here.

Cheers Pat.
    Nice! Yeah the FHI 4-pots need 16x6.5 IIRC which are RS Pre-02 rims. :)

I love my FHI 4-pots, they are a great upgrade. That's what we use on the race car.

-mike
    Actually Mike, they need to be at least 16"x7" with a 48 offset.

Cheers Pat.
    Is that the size of the RS Rims? I guess the WRX ones are 16x6.5 and the RS were 16x7. We run RS rims (5 spoke and 6 spoke) exclusively on the race car with the 4-pot FHIs.

-mike
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Yes, the RS pre-02 are 16x7. Which was why they were in big demand for 02-05 WRXs, when people wanted to put the 4-pots on, while retaining 16s. The 02-05 WRX 16s came in 16x6.5, which practically made them worthless other than for the stock setup.
    Yeah I was off by .5 :) I have a ton of 5-spoke RS wheels at the shop piled up. I think they are classy looking on non-RSes! :)

-mike
    Wish I had known you had them I wanted a set but couldn't find any around here.

Cheers Pat.