Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    I posted a pic of my car in the photos discussion... unfortunately the fact I cleaned it is lost on the poor image quality and composition. Oh well, I was there to compete, not shoot pics. ;-)

The results are here. Still getting comfortable with the car, I'm nowhere near good enough to just jump in and click off great runs. Surprisingly I was the fastest Subaru of the weekend, Jeff should have clobbered me and Pat was on street tires.

'night all,
    -Colin
  • rplumrplum Posts: 48
    Colin,

That's for my PIAA XT80 pencil beams. They're not wired too cleanly right now (visually I mean) I should probably get around to cleaning it up. It's not a show car though (quite the opposite) so I'm not too concerned. The exterior took quite a beating the first few years I had the car.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Holy short shifter Batman! I installed the Kartboy today and it is significantly shorter than the stock Forester lever. Eyeballing the difference, I'd say the shift knob is about 1.5" lower than stock. If you have the premium stereo on the Forester (98-00), the old shifter would put my hand about level with the cassette deck. Now my hand is down by the CD player!

Went for a test drive and the shifts go firmly into gear with little play. It reminded me of a stiffer Miata shifter. The short length is makes the 1->2 shift feel a lot more secure -- snick, snick. I still felt a little strange going into 5th or reverse as I have to extend my arm out a little more than I am used to.

My overall impression is favorable. If the world was perfect, I'd actually lengthen the lever just a tad for us Forester owners.

Pics to follow soon.

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sounds very familiar! ;-)

Mine's at least an inch shorter, too. If you want it a little longer, there is a lot of threading on the knob, so you probably could use a spacer of some sort, maybe a short bolt in there.

Did it also change the leverage? i.e. is the length below the fulcrum (*) greater than before?

-juice

* Mike Smith would love that word!
    juice,

I was wondering how much shorter your shifter was compared to the stock Forester one. I don't recall seeing a photo of the finished product in your Photopoint album.

I drove to work today and the throws are much shorter and the shifts require a little more pressure. The overall feel is a much more firm and "secure". My biggest beef with the stock Forester shifter is that it seemed to flex a bit.

Could you describe a little more what you were thinking about when installing a spacer? Would that be something that goes inside the shift knob vs. on the end of the lever?

I'll have pics up soon to show you the drastic differences in length.

Ken
    I've posted some photos from my Kartboy Shifter installation on my Photopoint account:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1013602&a=12802287

I didn't document a step-by-step since juice and others have already done a great job in capturing the instructions.

Notice the big difference in height. It's taking some getting used to the firm and short throws.

juice -- Did you do anything to rememdy the "sagging" shifter boot? My shifter looks like Tom Hanks after he becomes a kid again in "Big".

Ken

Actually, Ken, my photos show the new and old shift lever side by side. I don't have the URL handy 'cause I'm not at my desk.

Hey - I have to find something to do while Notes replicates this guy's mail! ;-)

HOLY COW! Just saw the photos. No way, no how, mine's not nearly that short. My difference is about only half of that, hence the boot is not an issue.

It does look like you have a bit more leverage, but I'd say mine actually is longer below the fulcrum.

-juice
    juice,

Must have missed the side-by-sides.

Yeah, the difference is dramatic. I just e-mailed Kartboy to see if there's anything that can be done to extend the length.

I'm going to try it out for a bit. If it's a big issue, I think even the stock 2.5 RS shifter would be an improvement. I'm sure someone would be willing to swap.

Ken
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    wow that's short!!!

Ross
    juice,

Here's a photo comparing the Kartboy, stock 2.5 RS and STi shifters:

http://www.azscooby.com/mods/AZScooby/Peaty/kartboy-sti.php

The fulcrum length looks similar between the STi and Kartboy. The length above that is significantly different.

Ken

wow, that is pretty short. Ken, I'd offer to trade but then we'll both be out a car at least a day even if we overnighted them. ;-)

-Colin
    Colin,
    Haven't made the decision if I like it or not yet but I'll keep you in mind if I decide I don't want it. I still have my stock Forester shifter so I could put that back in and send out the Kartboy.
    Ken
    Mine is here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1400062&a=12183873&p=44301948&Sequence=0&res=high

So mine and the STi are the same, but the RS and Forester stock are not.

In length, it looks like in order, longest to shortest:

Forester OE

RS OE and STi (aka SPT) are about the same

kartboy is shortest

-juice
    juice,

Oh yeah, that photo. I thought you meant a side-by-side post installation comparison.

Looks like the Impreza L shifter is the same as the Foresters:

http://www.azscooby.com/mods/AZScooby/Peaty/shiftlever.php

I guess if I went to a 2.5 RS shifter I would probably get a shorter throw. The local dealer sells just the shift lever for $65.

I'm still conteplating.

Colin -- would ya be interested in buying a used Kartboy lever? :)

Ken

How much was it? We could swap and I'll pay the difference, or whatever.

-Colin
    Gotta love a parts swap!

-juice
    Colin,

I just e-mailed an offer to you at your bigfoot address. Let me know what you think.

Ken
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    would enjoy seeing a group of grown men discussing whose is shorter for 2 straight days. It is a guaranteed ROFLMAO to go back and read this thread from a certain perspective ;-) Sorry. Long day at work....
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    my stepdad just broke 2 thread bolts from the miata's wheel hub. how much does it cost to fix it? anyone know? juice? colin?
  • rplumrplum Posts: 48
    at your local tire mart sort of place i seem to remember wheel stud replacements (parts and labor) going for $30-$40/stud.

at least that's what I recall it costing on my fiance's Pontiac Sure-Fire.....

RP