Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    And I'm glad to hear you finally got the car! W00t!
    on subaruforester.com. Sadly, it is the same as the '04. So now it is between going back to stock or delving into aftermarket/STi laterals. Thing is, I don't have a ton of confidence that thes Cobb bits are really meant for the XT. I think they're for the STi, and the fit on the XT was deemed "good enough" by Cobb to sell them to us.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    hmm. well, I think you already know my opinion.

and in case you wonder how reasonable I am, I'll have my first major modification completed in about a week and will post some pics. I've ditched the donut spare and jack in favor of a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure. :)

~c
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    maybe you were their test case ;-)

If you haven't already, I hope you've voiced your concerns about the breakage with Cobb. They should know that it's not 'good enough', at least w/o better welds or reinforcement.

-Brian
    When I called them, they confessed that they'd broken theirs, too! Yet they continue to sell it. I sent them another email telling them they ought not to, but no response.
    that if the SPT website lists the STi lateral links as being suitable for the Forester, that an aftermarket (adjustable) link for the STi would also fit the forester? I ask only because Whiteline sells one set for sedans and another for wagons. Hotchkis sells one set for STi, and another for WRX. Did I mention I don't like being the guinea pig? LOL
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    any chance COBB would foot (some of) the cost for new links? What kind of warranty do they provide, or is it only warrantied if you do NOT install them?

-Brian
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I bet they'd offer a deep discount if they could provide them, but can they?

I doubt they made much profit on the sale of a sway bar so not much room for them to help unless they eat a big loss.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Bummer on the sway bar mods lucien!

-mike
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Sorry to hear about how the sway bar situation is going.

Does COBB sell a set of lateral links? Perhaps you could convince them to selling a complete package (sway bar + links) and to give you a set free.

Even if they didn't make much money on the sway bar itself, I would imagine they value their reputation.

Ken
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I'll have to crawl under the WRX and have a look at my rear end. Folks have been adding big sways to their WRX's (even the wagons) with no trouble for a while. Have a hard time imagining the FXT links would be more fragile. Maybe the longer travel/more extended suspension puts more torque on them?
    Nicholas
    There is more body roll for the sway bar to fight.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Loosh -

Someone from Cobb was browsing subaruforester, so I'm sure they've seen your posts by now. They should definitely do something, especially after saying that Subaru was aware of the "problem" and will be redesigning it on the '05's.

-Dennis
    actually nicholas, Lucien posted links here in one of these discussions showing the Forester swaybar mount-- part of the lateral link-- and it was plain to see that the Forester link is half that of an '04 STi, and not even remotely close to as beefy as the '05 STi.

if you want to look at your endlinks for fun, you don't have to crawl under the car-- just lay down on your side by the rear bumper and look forward.

~c
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I know it's half of an STi, just wondering if it's half of a WRX.
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    They should definitely do something, especially after saying that Subaru was aware of the "problem" and will be redesigning it on the '05's.

Which, as we have seen, has yet to happen.

FWIW build date on my car is 04/04 per the VIN plate. This thing didn't exactly just roll off the assembly line yesterday.

Ed
    update:

2004 pinks are a straight swap, but still iffy in terms of bracket strength, imo.

2005 bits are nice; big ol honkin forged bracket. But the arms are 1/4 inch longer, requiring camber bolts to re-adjust alignment. this is my current favorite, pending confirmation that I won't be introducing new problems to the mix.
    So, would you have that local vendor handle the work?
    no, he won't have the facilities until October. I'm still trying to find out of the STi '05 links will work
  • rthompson10rthompson10 Member Posts: 75
    I'm been checking out some Aussie sites and they seem to like to lift their Subies. Anyone know anyone here in the US who's done that.
    Not being mechanical what would the ride characteristics be with a 2 inch lift.
    Anyone put a brush bar on the front of their vehicle? I wonder if its legal

Robert
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    They do a lot of off-roading down-under so and a lift makes sense for that. The obvious trade-off is that on-road handling will suffer and there's an increased risk of roll-overs.

-Frank
    And an increase in CV-Axle replacements.

I used to import brush guards for subies but they rarely sold and shipping from australia has gotten prohibative. :(

-mike
    A 2" lift shouldn't be too bad, but if you get the full 4" lift (springs and lift kit) you're really putting a strain on things like the wheel bearings and even the transaxle (the angles are affected).

Supposedly the 2" lift kit doesn't affect the ride too much because you keep the stock springs. The 2" taller springs are stiffer, though, so it'll corner flatter but ride harder too.

I carry my family in it more than I go off the beaten path, so I've kept mine stock.

-juice
  • rthompson10rthompson10 Member Posts: 75
    Guys,

Thanks- I was looking to separate my OB from every other one on the road

Maybe I'll see Mike about installing a hood ornament!- NOT :)

Robert
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For a story about plus-sized wheels, a reporter is looking to talk to drivers with plus-size wheels about how, if at all, the wheels have changed your driving experience, etc. If you would be willing to speak with this reporter, please contact Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with your contact information. She will pass that along to the reporter who will contact you directly. Please respond by end-of-day Thursday, August 26. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mylegacymylegacy Member Posts: 38
    EREBUNI has aftermarket pasrts for older legacy.
    We should all write to them and let them know that we're interested in some parts for the new 05 legacy model.

check it out, it's not bad
    http://www.spoilers.com/NEW/SUBARU.HTM
    Oh yeah great stuff :rolls eyes: I want 2 of the Wing No 330, need more cars with wings like that around and I figure heck what's better than 1 wing like that? 2 wings like that.... Gawd it's horrid.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Paisan- Yeah that's a real "impressive" wing but the Legacy Style 795 wing combo is my pick for most rediculous looking. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

-Frank
    I prefer mike's multi-color/primer-gray Franken L. ;-)

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    was a roof rack :o)

This will look awesome

-Dave
    I thought it was a giant cheese slicer! ;-)

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    that thing looks like a CD holder from Ikea.
    You mean it's not...?

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    More cowbell! LOL! Love that skit.

Ken
    explore the space!

~c
    ....have arrived! YAY!!!!!

and I'm too damn laid up to do anything with them! BOOOOO!!!!

I may just take it to the dealer; I'm not going to be capable of wrenching for 6-8 weeks they tell me. And I'm not sure I trust the local monkeys to do it properly.
    ....have arrived! YAY!!!!!

and I'm too damn laid up to do anything with them! BOOOOO!!!!

I may just take it to the dealer; I'm not going to be capable of wrenching for 6-8 weeks they tell me. And I'm not sure I trust the local monkeys to do it properly.

Any reason why you went for the STi lateral links instead of the adjustable whiteline ones?

-mike
    I saw the pics on Peaty's site and it looks like you won't have any worrys with your endlink mounts now!!

-Dennis
    Bad timing, I'd help (and by that I mean put them on for you) but the next two weekends I'll be a beach bum.

-juice
    The Whiteline stuff I have on our OB is rusting badly now; the STi pieces are aluminum. And, as Dennis alluded to, the endlink attachment points are massive, forged uprights.
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    and the only thing that can cure it, is more COW BELL!

Sorry, just catching up today and saw the post from a few days ago...I LOVE that SNL skit!!

Brian
    I didn't whiteline makes adjustable lateral links. The hotchkis ones are kinda expensive.

~c
    I thought about those too, Colin. There was some confusion about what would and would not fit the Forester...I'm a bit of a guinea pig on this fitment issue. Then these 2005 STi links showed up on the SPT site, cross listed as a Forester XT part as well. That clinched it. I don't have time to order and return parts that don't work. Hopefully, these STi bits will be the end of it.
    I didn't whiteline makes adjustable lateral links. The hotchkis ones are kinda expensive.

http://subaruwrxparts.com/04wrx-suspension.html

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong part?

-mike
    Well I can't bloody wrench on my car because of this operation. I've called 5 places and no one will install "aftermarket" parts on my car. I try to explain that they are Subaru STi parts, not aftermarket company parts, to no avail.

:(
    hit your regional forum and find a speed shop / tuner. of course a Subaru dealer won't install it--

well, some really cool ones would. but many wouldn't especially if you didn't buy the parts from them. lame, I know. :(

~c
    Or take a trip up and we can do em for yah. :)

-mike
    Too bad no one in their dealer network will install them. :(