Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Veracruz Towing and Hitches

If anybody has added a trailer hitch to their Veracruz, please post which brand. I am looking for a hitch that will not take awahy from the looks of the car. So far I am favoring the Hidden Hitch brand but would love to see a picture of it installed???thanks

Comments

• I received my Hidden Hitch on Thursday and plan to install it on Saturday. I will take a photo, but not sure how to send it on this web site. If you want me to send it to your e-mail address, let me know.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    not sure how to send it on this web site

Follow the help link at the bottom of this page for complete instructions on how to post a picture. Easier still, set up your own CarSpace (link at top of this page) which makes posting pictures a breeze.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ilitilit Posts: 71
    Per the VC user's manual, the towing rated at 3,500lbs and tongue weight is 300lbs if the trailer has brakes; otherwise, these limits are only 1/2, that are 1,250lbs and 150lbs. At that tongue weight load, I guess I can only carry a carrier with 2 bikes or not much loads on a trailer without brakes!

I have a Hidden hitch installed. It looks nice. You virtually see no crossbar members. There are 2 bolts on each side. You need a torque wrench and you can torque only 1 bolt to spec on each side. The other one you need a special open wrench (with head only) because it's behind something (I don't remember what that is!). So, may be you have to take to a Hyundai dealership and ask them torque for you. That's what I did and they didn't charge me!
  • thanks for the help. please email a picture to marklaunius@sbcglobal.net. Also....I have an 08 VC and can only seem to find a 07 hitch. Is the 08 identical.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,137
    If you'll post hitch (or other Veracruz) photos to your CarSpace album, then we'll all be able to enjoy the pics.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am very pleased with the installed hitch. I have several photos I can send, but don't know how to access my Carspace album. If the 2008 has a tow hook on the passenger side next to the muffler and two empty threaded holes on the opposite site next to the muffler, the Hidden Hitch should work.
  • Three photos now posted in My Album
  • Thanks for the help, I will be ordering one today.....
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,137
    Thanks. It's always interesting to see if the Hidden Hitch goes under or over the tailpipe(s). I think under like yours is the most common way.

Here's a shortcut link to your album. To see other albums, click on a member's name in the post title and the CarSpace link will be in their profile.

Or just add the member name to the url, for example, www.carspace.com/steve_

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Where did you get the hidden hitch from? I've looked at a few websites and they seem to list the hitch with the same part # but different receiver size 1 1/4" and 2". Your album photo looks like you have the 2"
  • I purchased from etrailer.com and it was the 2" receiver. Price was $154 plus 99 cents shipping.
  • Does anybody know for sure if the 07 Veracruz hitch is the same for an 08. I have called everyboby including corp hyundai and still can not get an answer????
  • Added the 2 inch Hidden Hitch for use with a Thule bike rack.
    Very happy with outcome. Hitch and rack purchased thru etrailer.com. Had them both in 3 days. Installed in 1 hour.
    View my photos here http://www.carspace.com/ehtpiney/Albums/hitch/
  • Does anybody have the step by step instructions for installing the hidden hitch receiver on our veracruzes?

Jim
  • Just go to Hiddenhitch.com or etrailer.com and select the hitch for Veracruze (#87439) Go to detailed information and click on instructions.
  • ml0126ml0126 Posts: 19
    after a long time on hold, the Hyundai customer service line verified the 07 hitch will work on the 08. Hyundai also confirmed they now have the factory hitch available
  • Interesting, a factory hitch option. Now I would like to see a picture of that.
  • The hitch sold at Hyundaiassessorystore.com (photo available there) kind of looks like the Curt Hitch sold at etrailer.com only the Hyundai hitch is $$ more.
    I just installed a Hidden Hitch from Etrailer on my 08 Veracruz and the 07 hitched worked perfectly. Same on the suggested wiring harnes. 40 minutes to install???? Any way just wanted to let everybody know the 07 hitches will work on the 08's and my ETrailer expereince was the best of any purchase made over the net...they were also very fast..received hitch in 2 days......
  • Did you get the 2" receiver or 1 1/4"? I've seen both sizes listed for the hidden hitch, but no way to specify that I want the 2". What did you do, call them or use the website?
    I called them, I got the 2" (little less than 150.00 shipping 99 cents)) It looks great, you barely notice it
  • I just installed a hidden hitch from etrailer.com on my 08 limited. Its a two man job but was able to do myself with a few choice words thrown in...
    Remove the tow eye on the right side outboard of the muffler. You must remove the muffler mount rubbers in front and back to gain access to the third bolt on the tow eye. I also removed the heat shield on the right side but you only need to drop the shield down on both outboard sides by removing the two outboard nuts.The heat shields are above the mufflers not the ones protecting the spare tire.
    I only removed the muffler rubber on the right one; tne the left stayed in tact.
    I used the longest bolt removed from the tow eye to hold one side of the hitch in place while I worked on the other side.
    I suggest you also order the wiring connector from etrailer made for the Veracruz.
    The factory wiring connectors are tucked on the right side near the tow eye with removable plastic plugs you remove and connect the aftermarket harness.
  • becykbecyk Posts: 28
    Did I read this right???

««««The factory wiring connectors are tucked on the right side near the tow eye with removable plastic plugs you remove and connect the aftermarket harness. »»»»

If you have this installed at the dealer...all they have to do is plug it in??? No need to "wire" from fuse box all the way to the back??
  • You do the connection the same way at home, or at the dealership. The "pastic covers" are just to protect the connectors from dirt, salt etc. until the trailer connector is run from the hitch up to the fender well.
    These connectors are for sale on ebay for about the same price as etrailer.com.
  • So there are two wire plug/snap connectors on the passenger side. I found one, for the black connector, where is the other one in relation to that one?

Jim
  • The two connectors are side by side just a few inches apart in snap connectors.just pull them off and reroute them to your hitch.
  • cruzeracruzera Posts: 1
    Just curious how much you guys are towing with the Veracruz? How does it perform?

I have a 2007 FWD Veracruz and the boat we are considering purchasing is 2800 lbs. This doesn't include the trailer weight, gas, etc. The trailer has a brake.

The Veracruz owners manual mentions a boat trailer weight (with brake) limit of 4500 lbs.
  • Hey cruzera
    Check my posts under "real world MPG"
    Performace is OK but mileage goes into the pits.
  • bullocks1bullocks1 Posts: 3
    I am looking at getting the Hidden Hitch t-connector. The after-market place I went to said I needed to install a power lead from the battery. I disagree as the instuctions do not mention this.

Any advise or photo's of the task at hand would be great.
  • bullocks1bullocks1 Posts: 3
    Would anyone be able to post a photo of the hitch installed on the Veracruz? I am looking for the rear view of the vehicle to see how the hitch sits on the vehicle.

Thank you

As a side note - Wiring ordered, saw that the Veracruz is pre-wired with the power lead at the rear passenger side with the pre-wired plug for the signal lights.