Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• Actually taking my Jeep Grand Cherokkee to my mechanic tomorrow. i doubt that t the vibration will begin when i'm with my mechanic since the problem comes & goes. Seems like it does it when car is warm??? i'm guessing. It has been such hot weather in Los Angeles considering it's Nov. & i was cracking up the A.C. this pass weekend. that was when i felt the abnormal vibration. problem occurs either i'm driving or Not...I never felt this kind of vibration before tho. i will keep you post it & let you know what cause the vibration - Well..., if i find out..hopefully i will. Thanxs for suggestion. !!!! :0)
  • trek87trek87 Posts: 49
    If the problem gets worse with the A/C turned on, it may be an engine belt issue (the A/C unit draws power from the engine belt). If the belt is too loose or too tight, it could contribute to the issues you're having.
  • OK thanxs! i will mention these suggestions to my mechanic tomorrow. I'm way over due from my transmission & other services. etc. When car was 60K, Shock & fan clutch been serviced. I get done my oil change every 3500 miles tho. but i know i have told that Jeep Grand Cherokee has some issues with transmission??? my spark plugs like you mentioned-been serviced sometime ago. however i lost all my records since i moved so many times. BTW car was keep continuing to vibrating when A.C. was turned off today. How often do you have to change the engine belt? when i was reading my manual it recommend 90K. service. Hope my mechanic can pin point the problem & give me honest estimate what i need to be done for 95K services. Thanxs again!!!
    For max. reliable lifetime, change transmission fluid every and service repack both differentials every 30K. Change spark plugs every 30K to keep a ~5% edge on fuel economy (esp. w/ the V8's). I change my engine belt every 30K, depending on how worn it looks after 20K. The 90K service should include everything above. Good luck.
  • New to the forum here. I just purchased an 03 Cherokee Limited for my daughter. The steering wheel has a squeaking in it when turning left or right. I put some silicone spray on it where it goes through the firewall inside and out, but it sounds like it is coming from underneath the cover by the ignition. Is there something under there that can cause it to squeak.

Thanks in advance.

Scootter1
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    yea is called a clock spring

rides on slip ring eorks as a wire

prob need to have steering wheel removed and re grease the ring (rember that you have air bags and dangrus if you dont know what you are doing)
  • Thanks for the reply.

Scott
  • agillagill Posts: 19
    Transfer case, np247 has VC, viscouse coupler, when the rear wheel slip vc will engage front wheels. These go bad making it difficult to shift into 4 low or even just grinding. probably easiest to replace whole thing, like 700 bucks for part, maybe 2 hours labor.
    Big bang from the rear when you hit bumps. There is a ball joint on the rear axle, 40.00, to replace. Just did it today, not to hard to do. Best to remove entire upper control arm on the rear axle.
    Do you get a clicking from the front axle when you turn, this is the cv joint on the axle.
    Squeek on speed bump=sway bar bushings.
    recently i replaced the ball joint on the rear upper control arm. The major clunking went away but there is still some clunking. I know that there are bushings on the lower control arms as well. What i am not sure of is if this will clunk as well or if i need to replace the entire upper control arm (on the rear.) Not sure if it helps but it is a '99 JGC 4.7L laredo. Any Ideas?
  • Whenever I come to a slow rolling stop there is a the delayed "thump" you can feel under the center column. My car barely has 2000 miles on the, and it's been to the shop three times. They tell me they've checked the undercarriage nothing to lose or moving...." and all the noises are completely normal". For some reason, I just don't think my brand-new truck should be doing this. Also, at a stop light in drive there are seems to be a over exacerbated vibration, I'm not sure if this is normal either. SOMEONE please help shed some light on this.
    Thank you Mark
    this may seem silly but check your jack and spare tire to see of it isd secure. There also could be something in the cargo area rolling around. Look in the sto under the rear passenger seats, under the front seats. You never know.
    check lower shock mount bolt as have had mine work lose and give me a clunk on small bumps i tightened up clunk gone
  • Thank you, I did check the spare and jack, they were tight...but great suggestion. I will also check the sto under the passenger seats.
    Mark
  • I just purchased a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited with a 4.7L engine. Why 2 fans? One is a mechanical clutch & one electric. Is there a cooling issue?
    electric is for ac when ac on fan on
  • Ok cool (no pun intended) But why not just an electric one? I thought a belt driven fan robs HP & MPG. If you go to the Flex-A-Lite web site, they state mechanical fans suck.(Again no pun intended.)
    i have the 4.7 and get 18.5 in town if i dont get my foot in the throttle the mecaniacle fan only works when you need it to has a clutch on it as the engine runs at bout 220 temp has a 20lbs radiator cap on it so boiling point is way high (never remove the presure cap from rad when warm) have 189000 miles on mine with very little problums
  • hello....did you ever find the solution to this problem. I have the exact same issue with my 2001 GC. After all kinds of $$$, I finally took out the front shaft and problem went away. Replaced Ujoint on shaft, reinstalled and still there. Only happens exactly when you describe. The noise is just irritating. My guess is something in the front diff. Hopefully you figured this out. Just to clarify, my GC makes a sound like a card clicking the spokes of a bike wheel just in front of the transfer case (appears that way). The noise disappears when the front driveshaft is out but comes back again when reinstalled. It happens either when coming to stop or going over a bump or dip in the road with no brake applied. Very strange noise. Another post confirmed it was not the transfer case. I am baffled.
    Any word on the outcome after seeing your mechanic?
    do you have ujoints or a cvc goint on your drive shalft?