Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• trek87trek87 Posts: 49
    If it's happening while in 2WD it likely rules out the TC or the front differential. Tire balancing would not produce a noise like you describe, but it would manifest itself as a vibration at certain speeds, for example.
  • I have a 2002 4.7 L all wheel drive GC. I recently have had the power steering pump and hoses replaced due to the whining or squeling noise you here when the pump is going bad. Now I keep hear a noise in the front end when making right or left hand turns and my best description is that it moans. It only does it once the jeep has warmed up say 10 to 15 minutes of driving. Took it and had the brakes checked/replaced but it still moans. Can anyone shed some light on this one. Thanks
  • Here is a quick check to look at. It's a jeep service bulletin for the moaning/whining problem.
    I tried it and it seems to have corrected the problem. All I did was side the hoses part did not even have to loosen as stated in the bulletin at $0. I have provided the link below.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1900203.pdf
  • muff22muff22 Posts: 2
    2004 grand cheroke at first i thought it was a bad left front rotor ... makes noise when brake pedal is applied ..put new rotors on noise and vibration still there when brakes are put on
  • gbb116gbb116 Posts: 2
    thanks for the replys. this is where im at thus far ( original post325)

i had tranny rebuilt, new tires, new u joints on rear end, new wheel bearings. none fixed the vibration i feel on my feet and the humkming noise.

what i did find out is that i took off my front driveshaft and drove it the noise was gone, or to a point i couldnt noitice it. i am rebuilding that drive shaft tday ( new u joints (3) and the (cv joint centering ball joint)) i have a feeling it isnt it because the u joints felt ok wheni had the axle off. so what im thinking is that the drive shaft is being the amplifing method of the bad product, either the front differential or the transfer case. what i dont get is that i am not even in 4wd. i am in 2wd. i dod notice that the driveshaft is moving with the wheels when im not in 4wd is this normal?
    i don't know enough about the driveshafts to say whether or not it's normal for both to be moving when your TC is shifted to 2WD mode. it could still be the TC, though. have you tried disengaging it while moving to see if the noise goes away?

i've been hearing murmuring (a bit like noisy tread tires) and other noises coming from my front-end too. i just had my whole drivetrain evaluated at a local jeep dealer, and they found that my TC bearings and VC are worn out and need to be replaced (i have quadra-trac II). when i go back to have the TC work done at the end of the month, i'm going to ask them to check out my driveshafts and wheel bearings/joints as well.

i'm curious to know if you find a solution - i'll update my findings here in a few weeks. good luck.
  • msa3msa3 Posts: 6
    My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee intermitently blows warm and cold air at the same time. The dealer said it was a bad door in the dash and removed the dash and replaced it once under warranty and it still is doing the same thing and the warranty is over. When it does this all you have to do is shut the engine off and start it again and the problem goes a way until it happens again. It sometimes takes days or weeks to happen again.

Also, something that just started happening is when you turn the vehicle off you hear what sounds like a vent door opening and closing coming from the passenger side under the dash.
    so after quite a bit of research and my Jeep mechanic taking me under his wing, we think we've tracked down these issues (repairs scheduled for the end of the month):

1) my OD output unit was making a lot of noise, which explains why it was kicking in around 3rd gear. the unit sits between the TC and the transmission. the slight rattle is just some stiffness in the drivetrain - it goes away after i drive a few feet down the road after a cold start and i'm not concerned.

2) the intermittent slight (and it really is barely noticeable) slippage on sharp turns on a loose surface was another symptom of my TC (also related to item 1 above). my viscous coupler inside my NP247 is worn out. i ordered a reman. since i'd rather just have all new internal TC components and never have to worry about it again (the VC alone is more than half the cost of whole unit). both of my differentials are in perfect shape.

3) & 4) for whatever reason, these issues are gone. who knew? my dealer adjusted my throttle linkage and replaced my idler pulley on another visit, but i don't think this explains it. hey i'm not going to complain.

i will update this post again once i've had all the above work done.
  • When Im stopped in drive, I get a vibration on the floorboard in cargo area right at the back seat. I checked under car at gas tank I hear it but cant find it. 2001 sport with 84000 on it. You can feel in in the car but cant find anything loose underneath. HELP
  • trot986trot986 Posts: 1
    hey, did you ever figure out what that noise was?? i have a 2004 jeep too and they can't seem to figure mine out either!! ugh!
  • jbaronejbarone Posts: 1
    i have a 99 jeep grand cherokee loredo it is making a clunking noise in the rear it is the loudest when i go over bumps at a coasting speed but still there slightly when going at faster speeds it seems like it happens more when the jeep rocks side to side a little instead of up and down hence louder when coasting i replaced the rear sway bar links and it still does it someone please help it is driving me crazy lol
    update as promised:

1) had the OD output unit replaced, and the loud grinding noises i was hearing when the OD kicked in are gone. if you're experiencing a really noisy OD, i'd urge you to get this done if your mechanic identifies it as the problem.

2) my new TC sounds a lot better too - all new internal components. turning is also smoother (slight hangups as mentioned in previous post are gone) and handling is better (i have full-time AWD).

so, in summary, replacing the above components made all the loud grinding noises i was describing go away. nothing was ever wrong with the engine, just had some noise issues that were signaling component wear/tear (142K miles) that i wanted to address before they really became a problem.
  • rpaterpate Posts: 3
    My oo had the same issue. There is a control arm that goes from the rear housing to the right (pass.) side. On top of the housing there is a ball joint. It is funny looking triangular steel plate with the ball joint attached vertically. Available from the dealer only, about $45. I replaced mine and I could not believe how bad the old one was. Nonetheless, this was the source of the clunking when going over bumps or "side to side" bumps. Drove me nuts until I discovered it and replaced.
  • maxximamaxxima Posts: 1
    i aswell just purchased a 05 jeep grand cherokee. it has a noise coming from what i think is the valve cover. possibly a rocker or lifter by the sound of it.
    did you ever figure out the noise from your jeep?
  • tex42tex42 Posts: 1
    2006 grand laredo, makes a noise like something is loose. the noise is coming from the driver side rear tire. it happens just driving down the road from time to time, and when i brake . bumps also cause the noise. it sounds like something is loose and rattles around. makes you think that something is going to fall off! i checked all the suspension parts i could see, all bolts nuts etc, cant find what could be causing the problem!
  • kite1kite1 Posts: 4
    94JGC,4.0L6cyl.177Kmi. Has a loud popping sound in the front end. Repl.upper&Lower control arms/track bars (lower) shocks, drivers side wheel bearing,sway bar. Everything has been tightened down,lubed but the popping sound continues. Only happens when turning left/right at low speeds/backing in or out of driveway. Very frustrating. Would appreciate advice as to the fix. Other than that I enjoy driving this car.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    drivers side wheel bearing,sway bar

Have you definitely ruled out the passenger side sway bar?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kite1kite1 Posts: 4
    At this point I won't rule out anything in order to solve this problem. I was unaware that there was a "passenger side sway bar". I thought there was only one sway bar in the front and one in the rear. I need to check my service records and make sure that hasn't already been replaced.

But directly to your response, would it make sense instead of replacing the passenger side sway bar just replace the bushings?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I may well be wrong about the sway bar but my thought was that, at least for myself, it's not always easy to determine the direction from which a sound is coming. The problem may well be the bushings but I will defer to anyone who has the technical expertise and hands on experience with the Cherokee.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rigger2rigger2 Posts: 1
    I visited my parents this weekend and I have a 4x2 Jeep Cherokee and had to go through a couple of rough mud holes to get there, after that it has a slight vibration that comes and goes, not during any specific rpm or speed, it does it in park and neutral and isnt bone shaking, but noticeable I tried cleaning the engine a lil, but not sure what coupld be the problem, please help.