Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• eb106eb106 Posts: 1
    I have the same car and the same problem. Have you ever found out what causes the noise and how to correct it?
    Gary
  • thundythundy Posts: 6
    I have 2001 Grand Cher. Lmt. 4X4. 98K miles on same exact problem.
    Although the vibration occurs when weather is HOT & when i needed to use my air conditioner, it does vibrates more & it is LOUD!!!! super annoying..
    All my oil temparuature inside my dash board is normal as well as engine temp.
    I took my car to my mechanic, he plugged into diagnostic test over the computer system but nothing came out abnormal. He suggested to take the engine out & go from there.. however, i'm afraid that it will cost me over $800.
    anybody had same problems previously, please let me know.
    it would tone of help!!!!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    what do you mean take the engine out? could be the belt tensenure has a bad bearing as the ac realy puts a strain on that part or ac compressere get second opinion
  • kite1kite1 Posts: 4
    I took the Jeep to a line-up shop and the mechanic pointed out a rusting (turned rust red) axle joint aka u-joint on the passenger front wheel. I replaced that and the popping stopped when I turned the car to the right. I also replaced the axle joint on the driver's side front as well. Then I had one of the u-joints replaced on the driveshaft. The other two were determined to be in good condition. There is a total of three on the drive-shaft.

When I turn to the left (usually backing up) I still get the popping sound. Another line-up shop has made a speculation what the cure is but I won't share that with you until there is positive results. It appears at this point the "popping noise" may have more than one origin. More later......
  • branskebranske Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I brake I get a popping noise in the front (front left I think). I had the had it checked out and the mechanic told me that Jeep had updated the front disc brake calipers and I needed to replace my old ones with new ones to stop the popping noise. I am a little skeptical but wanted to check it out. Has anyone else heard of this?
  • kite1kite1 Posts: 4
    This is the follow-up to my previous post. The problem has been fixed. There is no more popping noise when I turn to the left or to the right. As it turns out there appears to have been two issues. First was replacing the rusty axle joint (u-joint) on the front passenger side. Second I have replaced the front hub assembly and bearing on the passenger side. That did it. I probably will replace the hub assembly on the driver's front in time, because they both have the same mileage on them (179K). But for now the noise has gone away. These things can be very expensive to figure out and some mechanics as we all know just like to throw parts at them until eventually they fix the problem. Answer to prayer. :)
  • I have a 1998 Cherokee that has been making a popping noise when I turn. Sometimes it pops so hard that I can feel it under my feet while I'm driving. This issue first started happening back in June of '08. I brought it to my mechanic at that time and they replaced the u-joint on the drivers side. The problem continued but after spending $200 on that I decided to ride it out for a while. When the warm N.C. summer weather passed the popping noise went away. Suddenly it started popping again about a month ago and it is as bad as ever. I don't know if the warm weather is a coincidence or if it helps tell a story. I'm just trying to narrow down what it is so I don't have to drop too much more money into this car. I've read it could be anything from a hub assembly to bushings to track bar mounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  • mfd72mfd72 Posts: 1
    1997 same noise- 277000 km
    just replaced all front u joints and wheel bearings- noise she be gone!!!!!!
    save some money and get the balljoints changed while they have it all torn apart its worth the extra 150 bucks.
    hope that helps- the popping noise comes from the bearing snagging on the spindle when you change the angle of the wheel by turning. :)
  • Had a radiator hose leak (upper) that spewed out antifreeze all over the engine. Replaced the hose no problem. Now have a combination of noises: 1) a sputtering that sounds like a pressure cooker that's random in speed and goes away after the engine is warmed up 2) a whine upon acceleration 3) a rattle at acceleration that progresses at gear shifts (automatic). I've had no loss or change in performance. I thought perhaps antifreeze had gotten into the oil, so I've changed the oil. I've added STP to a full tank of gas (put in high-octane gas). So far I've driven down about half a tank. The noises seem to be dissipating, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I can clearly pinpoint them beginning at the time of the hose leak. Anything I should be concerned about or more I should be doing? I feel like the noises are coming from the belt/pulley area right in front. Thanks for any insight.
  • I have a similar humming problem on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it comes and goes. It feels like I have a flat tire or I am driving on a bumpy road. The steering wheel shakes too. It is usually bad between 30-35 miles and it will stop if I speed up or stop.. It is driving me nuts because I have not had time to take it in to the shop and I feel like every time I drive I am making it worse. I am also scared they will tell me they don't know what is wrong. I am a girl and work 50-60 hours a week and car trouble grinds me down :(
  • OK I'll try and do this step by step as it happened. 1998 Cherokee 4.0L 151,000 miles. About 2 weeks ago I noticed the Alt. gauge dropping-it comes and goes but still starts and runs OK. I was planning on replacing it this coming week. Of course yesterday we got a foot of snow (just to add to the upcoming aggravation). Awhile ago I went to start it and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. So I did the usual twisting, turning, wiggling, etc. Finally it broke free but with some effort and started fine. However immediately I noticed the following warning lights- "Brake", "Air Bag" and "Check Engine" (I quit paying attention to this one several years ago). As anyone knows who has ever owned one of these models usually a good "Fist to the Dash" makes the warning lights go away. Not this time. Then I noticed no wipers, radio, pwr. windows, turn signals. All gauges were reading OK. So I go ahead and drive to the local mini-mart for supplies. I left it running just in case. After a couple minutes a VERY loud grinding noise started coming from the engine compartment. I only live about a mile away so I put it in drive and hoped for the best. Immediately the noise stopped. So I make it home and put it in park and it starts again. After more scratching my head it only makes the noise when in park or neutral. Still no wipers, radio, etc. All fuses are OK. I don't have a garage and I'm to old and spent way to many days and nights under a car in this kind of weather to mess with it any longer. My first guess is the bearings in the alternator finally went but I've never heard one that loud. And also why only in Park/Neutral? And why no wipers, radio, etc.? Any help is appreciated.
    Merry Christmas,
    Bob
  • Almost everytime i brake, there's a clicking sound coming from the rear of my car...idk if its the brakes or not...just wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem as me or not..and if so how to fix it..
  • do you have a part number or the actual name of the part?? i have this same problem with my 04 grand cherokee limited.
  • I have a 2003 Jeep grand Cherokee. When I shut off the engine, in approximately two minutes, a clicking noise occurs. It sounds like someone tapping their finger nail on a Formica counter. It will last for between 72 and 74 clicks then stop. It's been doing it for about two years, so I can live with it, but I would sure like to know what it is. I had blend door problems with this car and assumed it was related to that but I recently repaired that problem (Heater Treater Kit, highly recommended) but it has nothing to do with that. Any suggestions???
  • I have 99 JGCL and i have the same problem that you have with rear end making noise when going over bumps. did you get a cure for your problem. thanks Christian
    heck lower shock mount bolt make sure it is good and tight
  • ampy1ampy1 Posts: 1
    ive got a cherokee v8 2000 model and it makes a bad whining noise on full lock and it feels like the brakes are on but when i straighten up it stops
    check front joints on the axles also front drive shaft
  • I was driving on a slight incline and heard this grinding/clucking noise underneath the bottom in the center I continued to drive no noise then as I came to the slight inclined I heard this noise again Has any one else had this to happen What is this noise?
  • joe284joe284 Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. Were you ever able to figure out what was wrong? I took it to a mechanic he said maybe some bad suspension bushings, nothing he would worry about.