Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• t0ka4lyft0ka4lyf Posts: 4
    Well, I brought my Jeep back into my dealer and he once again said he found nothing.. and said it really made no sense to him. So I left and just figured that maybe it's just the harsh weather up here in northern Minnesota. (was hardly ever above 10 degrees when the 'whine' noise started)

Then a few weeks ago, once it started getting to be 20 above all day, the whining noise suddenly stopped! I couldn't believe it and figured maybe it was just a lucky day for me.. but for the last 3 weeks, my Jeep hasn't whined once!! That was until yesterday, as the weather up here has once again dipped into the negatives, and on my way home last night... the evil whining noise came back. :( Sucks but now I'm pretty sure that it was just the cold weather causing the noise, because I've found no other reasoning for it. (emailed jeep.com & everything, no help at all)
  • My I6 4.0 Liter Laredo has developed a ticking or tapping noise. It doesn't do it all the time. It sounds like a valve or lifter tapping. It will start out soft then get a little louder then it will quit alltogether. Then a few seconds later it will start again. When it stops ticking, it sounds like a switch cutting itself off. A definite clicking sound. Not a fade away sound.
  • steve35steve35 Posts: 6
    It's probably a stuck lifter or slightly worn rocker arm. I have the same issue on my 2000 JGC with 149K miles. This engine is an old design (it dates back to the 60s and possibly the 50s)and a little valve train noise is not unusual. Change the oil regularly and cut down on short trips if you can. If it gets worse, then you may want to do new lifters/pushrods/rockers.
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    Next oil change, try adding a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil as part of your oil change. Despite the strange name, this is really a good product that has been around a long time. It might just eliminate your problem and does not need to be done every oil change.
  • evg2121evg2121 Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem!!! I have a 94, 5.2L, 4x4 grand cherokee. The popping noise is in the left front wheel area. It seems to get louder and more consistent after the vehicle is driven for 10-15 miles. I believe this started when I made a hard left u-turn, I heard a load snap noise (like a bolt being stripped), the noise vibrated through the whole vehicle. If anyone knows what is causing this, please let me know.
  • bmanchanbmanchan Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 6 cylinder. Recently it has started to make a tick/tick/tick sound. It makes the sound when I start the engine then gets worse when i rev but after a while the sound goes away. When it is cold out it makes the sound all the time. But when it is warm it either makes it for a few seconds then goes away or it does not make the sound at all. I have no clue what it could be. Can someone help me?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Have your valves and lifters checked.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bmanchanbmanchan Posts: 3
    is it really bad?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    is it really bad?

No, it's a relatively minor problem but I'd have it checked ASAP. The really bad stuff would be if you have a broken rod.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bgaffordbgafford Posts: 5
    What do you mean by this the "flex plate bolts to the converter poss " where is this located? I'm not familiar with this. Thank you for any help???
  • my 2000 does the same thing. What I did this afternoon was put it in drive and held my foot on the brake, had two friends crawl underneath the back and listen from the inside. It is not exhaust related because its a new exhaust system and its solid as can be, its not vibrating against any part of the car. Ive pinpointed it to be around the gas tank, almost from the top. Though I cant figure out how the gas tank would be directly affected by being in drive at an idle, but it sounds like the fuel pump may be rattling due to differing amounts of aceleration. Try this to see if we are dealing with the same thing, have someone put the Jeep in drive but hold the brake, lay your head in the middle of the carpet in the cargo area over where the gas tank would be and see if that is where your "golf ball int he tank" noise is coming from. Im about ready to have the tank dropped and a new pump installed due to this..BTW my odometer reading is 93,850.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    wait till you see how much a new pump cost
  • ambrosjbambrosjb Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem with my fiance's 2000 Cherokee Classic. I've always assumed it was the exhaust rattling around, but it seems like I might be wrong. I plan on hopping under there this weekend and have someone put it in drive while I'm under there. If anyone comes up with a solution PLEASE post it. I'll be sure to do the same.
  • pmayo38pmayo38 Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what it was?? I'm going through the same thing!
  • cbull82cbull82 Posts: 1
    I have the same noise as well as a grinding sound when I turn sharp turns. Any suggestions?
  • if the jeep "jumps" around when turning it's the transfer case, but if it only makes a loud POP when turning you need to replace your front axles
  • over the past months my 94 has been making a loud popping noise that has been getting worse and worse. it sounds like you're making popcorn under the hood. it only does it when you hit the gas and moving. i've tried holding the breaks to the floor and hitting the gas to see if it still did it but it doesn't, only when moving. also doesn't make noise when turning, so i wouldn't think its the differential. any ideas?
  • fixjeepfixjeep Posts: 7
    This noise is driving me to sell. thumping in rear sounds like loose or broken shock but its not, tightened everything, happens over medium large and some small bumps on or off brakes. I only noticed one thing , both rear axles have some up and down movement possiblly from bearing or axle itself.Anyone run into this?
  • nvtitannvtitan Posts: 5
    I had the same issue although probably not as bad as your discription. Are your shocks still the originalls from time of purchase? I recently replaced my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport (55402 Miles) rear shocks with Billstein shocks. No more thump noises. I would also check your rear stabilizer bar bushings, I noticed mine were badly worn and will require replacement soon. If you have never replaced your rear shocks beware of the frame side mount bolt heads snapping off. I had two, one on each side break off and could not get them out even with an easy out. Took it to dealership and had them removed for $120--was not expecting to run into this issue on such an easy task. Use anti-seaze compound on bolts when reinstalling them.