Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• Hi,

Since December 2010, my check engine light has come on five times. I've included below what was done each time at the mechanic.

73,797 - P0456 Error Code - Evaporative emission control system leak detected (very small leak) - 11/26/10 - Possible loose gas cap, mechanic tightened and tested cap and reset the OBD.

74,102 - P0442 Error Code - Evaporative emission control system leak detected (medium leak) - 12/7/10 - Gas cap tested bad, mechanic replaced the gas cap and reset the OBD.

77,718 - P0455 Error Code - Evaporative emission control system leak detected (large leak) - 5/31/11 - Possible loose gas cap, mechanic tightened cap and reset the OBD.

77,865 - P0455 Error Code - Evaporative emission control system leak detected (large leak) - 6/10/11 - Mechanic replaced the evaporative vent solenoid (solenoid was clicking loudly on the 11/26/10 date) and the crankcase vent hose (hose was cracked); reset the OBD.

78,161 - P0455 Error Code - Evaporative emission control system leak detected (large leak) - 6/21/11 - Mechanic suggested going to the dealer because they have an advanced computer system.

My questions:

I've researched this on Google and it appears that many have had this issue on different Chrysler vehicles, many with no resolution. My mechanic said he could do a smoke test (pump smoke through the evaporative system) to see if that shows anything, but he said that this can be expensive to track down the problem. The dealer wants $95 just to run diagnostics (which would apply to my estimate to get it fixed, assuming they figure out the problem).

Have you heard of this? If so, what have people tried?
    Any other suggestions?

The mechanic said I could drive with the light on, but this makes me uneasy, especially if I go out of town. I have noticed a decline in gas mileage. Other than that, it may run slightly rough here and there, but overall doesn't seem phased by this issue. I haven't spent a ridiculous amount of money so far, but I'm trying to keep the costs down on this.

Thanks!!
  • It is a 2002 Jeep GC with almost 79,000 miles. It is the 4.0 I-6 and is two wheel drive.
  • lionel4lionel4 Posts: 1
    shock absorber bushings
  • lojo61377lojo61377 Posts: 1
    Just noticed this a few days ago, but I am a paranoid driver and hate driving a vehicle when something "could" be wrong.
    Anyway, I noticed, what seems to me, a whooshing, air-like noise. The noise seems to come from right up front, around the dash. I can turn the car off and the noise is still there.
    My husband drove it the last couple days and he says he can hear the noise but not sure what it is and other than the noise it runs pretty well. Any ideas what this could be?

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    175000 miles
    4WD but doesn't work (differential went out, had changed to 2WD)
  • ecunniffeecunniffe Posts: 6
    I had that same sound on my 93 and 95 cherokees and was told that the cause was the air conditioner. don't completely understand the science of them but the coolant in the air conditioner is just flowing back into the compressor and nothing to worry about.
  • 1sikwj1sikwj Posts: 1
    hey, did you ever figure out that noise. my jeep would make the same clicking/grinding noise from the rear so i sat in the rear passenger seat and with the door open and my seat beat on i leaned out of the jeep while my dad made that slow left turn and noticed it was louder outside the jeep right near the pass. rear tire. long story short. i found my muffler pipe was loose and seen the spot where it would bang against at every left turn. i guess the rubber boot or mount on the muffler hanger went bad... replaced it for $9.00 at a local autoparts store. no more embarassing noise when turning left
  • try replacing your wheel barring on that side of the car my 98 jeep did the same thing and i fixed the barring and never heard the noise again.
  • Low to medium pitched growling noise from somewhere in the front end which occurs only while the vehicle is in motion. Noise is most noticeable below 40 or so but is present at essentially all speeds as well as both on coast and acceleration. Noise disappears entirely when the vehicle is turned even moderately to the left and increases in severity when turned to the right.
  • Hi there if you have the tow bar that slides in and locks with a pin then check that out.After a while it opens up,but just place something to stop it moving around.
  • I have a 2001 JGC 4.7 v8 when i move from P and go into R and D i get a clicking sound for a few seconds then it stops. Any help please. Thanks.
  • I have the same issue with a 2WD 2005 Grand Cherokee - opposite side. When I turn right, the roar disappears. Did you discover the problem?
  • 1. I am hearing an annoying significantly loud humming sound when I drive on highways at speeds 60-75mph (95-120kmph) @1600rpm. Its sort of sounds like a sound blown through large hollow tube/flute.

2. I also can hear a rattling noise from my left rear side, its like a light metal grinding on some wheel sound.

3. Large fart like sound a few mins after I turn off my car from the front dashboard :)... might be the AC? whats up with that?

Anyone knows what is causing it or faced any similar problem?

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - 67,000 miles (108000KM)
  • My jeep, 2006 Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD, 135000km, makes a deep noise when switching off - a similar noise when you remove the air box completely and you hear a piston decompressing. Any suggestions what it might be?
  • ccttnccttn Posts: 1
    Took my vehicle to River Oaks Chrysler Jeep and had front rotors, calipers, pads, system flush. Did not pop before but pops now. It is almost as if something is binding and pops as it releases.
  • I had a similar noise after front brake work. Turned out to be that the bracket that attacheds the caliper to was loose. Check tightness on that on both sides - i believe it took a 16mm wrench to tighten.
  • The tailgate lock actuator needs replacing...it's another Jeep "design to fail" part ;-(
  • My son has a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that recently started making a loud rattling noise when turning sharp. It sound like it is under the hood on the driver side. Any possible problems would be greatly appreciated and how to check to verify.
  • I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee and was trying to figure out why I had this jerking motion all the time. I had mechanics look at it and they believed it was my tranny. But really it was my TPS. It controlled my throttle and possible symptoms of that are:
    1) idles funny
    2) in drive or reverse it will act like it dies on you sitting still
    3) going down the rd it jerks (small or large jerks), it will feel like a car accident or the vehicle will act like it shut down for a quick second

I've got a grinding noise on the front driver's side tire. Its more of a howling noise. Everything in the front has been replaced (Ball joints, Tie rods, Wheel bearings). I had my mechanic take it apart and the front differential fluids were a milky color and the gasket was gone. Yes, I got stuck one time out in the mud with it before. But I am not positive if its the bearings in the front differential or if its the transfer case itself. Any ideas?
  • jarol1jarol1 Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    2005 JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED HEMI 4X4 I am hearing an annoying significantly loud humming sound noice when I drive on highways at speeds 60-75mph . Its sort of sounds like a sound blown through large hollow tube/flute.TIRES AND SHOCKS NEW. PLEASE HELP!!!
  • neonmaxneonmax Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    2005 jeep grand cherokee 3.7 It sounds like if the fan in dash board is hitting something, it stops after 10-20 second and it comes on intermittently?? any suggestions.