Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• jsimjsim Posts: 6
    yes...job done those crap toyo bearing were gone.put in timkins........now my problem with the popping is coming from my transfer case,I disconnected the drive line to the front end,quite now but two wheel drive.Looking for a new used transfer case....thks for your help.
  • hi 2000 jeep cherokee sport 95,ooo engine light on.misfire in cyl 3.changed spark plugs, clened throttle body still runs rough.
  • mac6102mac6102 Posts: 3
    I have a two wheel drive 98 Jeep grand cherokee and I am experiencing a whining noise coming from the engine area. Once I reach around 35mph it becomes louder. As soon as I put the car in nuetral it goes away. The noise cant be heard while pressing on the gas in park or neutral either. Can anyone help??
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    when was the last time you changed the tranmession oil and filter sounds like you are not getting the right amount of oil to the overdrive unit in the tourque converter or filter partley pluged ans starving pump in trans
  • john1954john1954 Posts: 2
    Hi I have just bought a GC and finding a rumble from the rear at over 70mph and on very hard acceleration.

Is this a usual problem and solvable?

Is it my auto box or prop shaft?

Really worried as I love this car.
  • mac6102mac6102 Posts: 3
    It sounds like that could be the problem, when I turn off the overdrive the noise stops, so I guess a transmission service is probably needed?
  • ssmssm Posts: 4
    driver front wheel has a clicking noise when moving. Is this a u-joint or hub problem?
  • mheitmheit Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee that has a popping noise in the front end when turning. I have replaced all tie-rod ends, both bearing hubs, both axle joints, both break drums, replaced all ball joints, and replaced the steering box. And have not found the problem yet, anyone have any ideas???
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    It could be something as simple as a stone stuck in the tire tread.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pit1pit1 Posts: 7
    I finally resolved my Thump and Clunk problem, yes it took sometime but its fixed. DO NOT install Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. Like fixjeep stated on previous post Quote:Stiffer shocks can transmit noises through a unibody like the jeep. Although I tried to get the KYB's there were problem with shipping & I just couldnt wait anymore the Thump and Clunk was driving me CRAZY. I settled for the Monroes Matic Plus and Now the Thump and Clunk is GONE. Im very disapointed with Monroe, I wrote to them numberous times of this problem but they still insistef that Sensa-Track was the shock to go with. Well this will ne my last purchase from Monroe.
  • ssmssm Posts: 4
    thanks for the input-I checked there doesn't seem to be a stone. but looking under the boot at the wheel-there is a CV joint ,not a u-joint, I've been told a worn cv joint will click .
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I found this in our archives. I think it's worth a look!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    did you service the trans? if so fix noise? would like update thanks
  • I have a 95 Grand Jeep Cherokee, that I think has the same problem. I've had the belt changed, twice and then the harmonic sensor gave out and I also had the belt clutch replaced. And it still makes the noise. Have you had an luck??? I'm going insane!!!
  • I noticed that this has been posted before. I have a Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo 95 with 140+ miles on it. The noise seems to be coming from the fan belt area. I've had the fan belt replaces twice, the last time the harmonic sensor had to be replaced along with the fan belt clutch. The noise is still there, though. I'm going insane!!!!!!!! And spending way too much money. Please help.
    it is prob the auto belt tightner bad bearing change compleat assembly
  • In the past 2-3 months I have been hearing an annoying squeak from the front end when going over small bumps. I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I have installed new Bilstein shocks around 2 weeks before the squeaking started. I have also installed new front sway bar bushings. Anyone have any idea on what is causing this squeak? I am stumped.
  • I recently purchased a gently used GC LTD with a 5.7 HEMI, 24K miles. I noticed that when I have my windows down driving in town, stop and go that the engine is noisy on acceleration. When I say noisy I mean like an exaust leak around the exaust manifold or something. It almost sounds like what a header would sound like with a blown header gasket. It is not over bearing load, but I notice it and I was just wondering if this is normal, do all hemis sound like this?? Other than the noise, I am very pleased with this vehicle so far. Suggestions???
  • I just bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I noticed that when accelerating from a dead stop you can hear a whine. It sounds like its coming either from the transmission or the transfer case. This Jeep is the Quadra-Trac. Is this normal? Can anyone give me any ideas as to what this might be?
  • hoping some of you have had this issue and can help me out with this one. My 04 GC has developed a "popping" or rattling sound which sounds like the rear hatch window OR rear hatch is not closed tightly. When I hit a dip in the road or just a bump I hear this coming from the rear hatch area inside the vehicle. It started out minor but it seems to be getting worse. I've got a little over 62k and it seems like I'm noticing alot more squeaks and rattles in general now. Is anyone else experiencing any of this with their Cherokee's? I bought the Jeep brand new and only driven to and from work all highway and has never been offroad driven hard or abused. Oh and I've also had the typical brakes, power windows and other issues that seems common with the GC I've read about here also.
    try changing you shocks they have a ten to thunk when going over small bumps when they get bad
  • I have a '96 JGC, and when I let off the gas there is a gear noise as it decelerates, but it goes away when I'm back on the gas. Sounds like it's coming from the front. Is this the transfer case, diffential, bearings, or some unknown poltergiest? Thanks. Matt
    check where the drive shalf goes in see if it is loose sounds as if you have loose pinion bering