Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    first what year jeep

torn boot could have ruined your axel shaft will need to replace that shaft rebuilt one is ok

drive shaft should have no play when you wiggle drive shaft look close at where it hookes up to your front axel housing if flange moves in out or up down have bad pinion berrings will need to be fixed soon
  • jsimjsim Posts: 6
    thks tug..
    the cherokee is a 99.the boot is torn I will be taken it apart this weekend.Driveshaft there is endplay but no up and down play what so ever....I am starting to wonder if they sound is caused by a pcv valve or vacuum leak as it seeemed to happen only when you put a load on the vehicle.I havent been able to find part #s for the pcv it is cheap enough and the jeep has 120m.on it.....
    realy should not have in out play in front drive shaft eather
    look real good at front flange by punkin an the flang that goes into trans fer case

when you put load on jeep pinion move in if you have bad berings in punkin
    I will do that tug,thks.......I was under the jeep last night and now i found another problem,hope to hell this is the original problem.The pinion shaft coming out of the rear diff.is totally loose it has unbelievable amount of up and down movement.I went to jeep dealership and ordered a seal and crush spacer.I am going to see if this tightens it up.I am scared ...... less that there maybe alot of damage in the rear end.I will post next week after vacation how it turned out,if that was the problem and it was transferring to the front.Then I will do the boot on the front axle after checking the bearing and hopefully the jeep will be as good as new.Price for a new rear end in canada is 3750...lol from the dealership that is not installed
    hey gooo did you ever find what the problem was?Mine is doing the samething.Only when accelerating
    have all the spec on install of crush sleave and such?
  • i have a 2003 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0l. when put into reverse regardless of appling brakes or not the truck makes a very very loud squeek also. i have traced it to the transmisssion or transfer case, but cannot figure out what it is. it drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!
  • jeepinsljeepinsl Posts: 5
    Have you taken it to a transmission shop to get an estimate for repairs? I want it fixed! I am tired of people looking at me while my car squeaks as I back up!
  • I took it to my local jeep dealer to see if they could figure it out and they shrugged their shoulders and said they would have to tear it apart and try to figure out what it could be. they were clueless about the noise. i posted a forum on here back a few months ago and got no responces from anyone, so now there are two of us with this problem. sorry i have no info for you. i changed my u-joints and it stopped for a week and a half and then started doing it again????
    I would not think it is the trans or transfer some where in the u joints area
    yes...job done those crap toyo bearing were gone.put in timkins........now my problem with the popping is coming from my transfer case,I disconnected the drive line to the front end,quite now but two wheel drive.Looking for a new used transfer case....thks for your help.
  • hi 2000 jeep cherokee sport 95,ooo engine light on.misfire in cyl 3.changed spark plugs, clened throttle body still runs rough.
  • mac6102mac6102 Posts: 3
    I have a two wheel drive 98 Jeep grand cherokee and I am experiencing a whining noise coming from the engine area. Once I reach around 35mph it becomes louder. As soon as I put the car in nuetral it goes away. The noise cant be heard while pressing on the gas in park or neutral either. Can anyone help??
    when was the last time you changed the tranmession oil and filter sounds like you are not getting the right amount of oil to the overdrive unit in the tourque converter or filter partley pluged ans starving pump in trans
  • john1954john1954 Posts: 2
    Hi I have just bought a GC and finding a rumble from the rear at over 70mph and on very hard acceleration.

Is this a usual problem and solvable?

Is it my auto box or prop shaft?

Really worried as I love this car.
  • mac6102mac6102 Posts: 3
    It sounds like that could be the problem, when I turn off the overdrive the noise stops, so I guess a transmission service is probably needed?
  • ssmssm Posts: 4
    driver front wheel has a clicking noise when moving. Is this a u-joint or hub problem?
  • mheitmheit Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 jeep grand cherokee that has a popping noise in the front end when turning. I have replaced all tie-rod ends, both bearing hubs, both axle joints, both break drums, replaced all ball joints, and replaced the steering box. And have not found the problem yet, anyone have any ideas???