Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• I am currently trying out a 2007 jgc. It has the reverse noise you are talking about. Did you try to partially engage the emer hand brake and see if this made any difference as previously suggested? I will be looking further into this but I feel that jeep engineers must have the answer.
  • Dude, why would a mechanic who works on exhaust know anything about Transfer cases and such. If it's exhaust it's exhaust, you have to diagnose where the problem is comming from before you can diagnose the actual problem. If there were any issues with exhaust related to temperature I would lean towards the manifold. Sound travels which make noise while driving impossible to diagnose. I have spent mucho dolores fixing problems that weren't there trying to chases down noises. When your car heats up the gasket for the manifold could be failing or a weld could be comming open. But if the noise is there while your not moving then crawl under there and start moving stuff with your hand. The best way to see where the noise is comming from is to listen for changes in the noise as you poke around. WHen you move somthing and the noise changes then you have found your problem....maybe. :shades:
  • I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7l with a Hemi, when I back up and turn and then go forward the car feelks like its going over a rumble strip or a wash board, I have had her into the shop 3 times now and they kkep changing fluids !!! Its ljke they do not beleive me !! The jeep has only about 24,000 kms on her and this noise is relativily new, any ideas???
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    noise from front or rear?

if from front have you changed tires to a bigger size could be rubbing tire edge
  • 2001 jeep cherokee sport 4.0L.I had the valve cover gasket replaced. Due to it leaking oil. When i got my vehicle back from the dealer, it started making a gurgilling noise. occationally it goes away. And the noise speeds up with acceleration. When in gear or park it sounds like a water bong noise? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    open hood listen around engine area see if can pinpoint where it is comming from
  • I have a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee limited. I was driving down the road and it made a load popping sound it sounded like it came from the front right tire . Then about 1 mile down the road it started popping and the transfer case started trying to pop into neutral. I was told it was the front right axle i replaced that and it done the same thing. I took the front drive shaft out and it still makes the popping sound but the transfer case does not try to pop into neutral. Does anybody have any ideals . thanks
  • jaco4jaco4 Posts: 5
    I have just bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo,40,000
    miles, This tapping sound only starts when you first start it in the morning. I brought it to my mechanic ,he says it is
    not my lifters! He did a through inspection of my car before I bought this beauty! I need help. Now this car is protected under the 70,000 mile power train warranty. Do I take to my Jeep dealer? Is this serious? Please help me guys (and girls)!
    Would 40,000 miles make these lifters go bad already? By the way the tapping sound quits after about 30minutes and does not happen and till the next day> Thank you. HELP!!!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Is the tapping regular? Does its frequency change with engine speed? Could it just be thermal expansion while the engine or exhaust manifold are heating?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I am the one with the 2004 Grand Cherokee. I turned :confuse: the air conditioner off. Still makes this tapping sound. As you go
    faster the tapping sound also goes faster. Only happens
    on first time start up. Antbody else have this problem?
    Please advise.
    Yes the tapping sound is regular only in the first start up.
    It does change frequency with engine speed. I read that someone mention using this Marvel Mystery Oil,should i use it?
    I found new "evidence',this stops when the oil gauge reaches
    210 ,which is normal? I need more advice from somebody please?
    jaco
  • 94jeep94jeep Posts: 2
    my jeep chatters @2000 rpm when it warms but when it shifts gears it stops
  • I am new at this and my skills in mechanical repairs are limited. But I have spend many hours reading just what could go wrong with my Cherokee Sport, and how much the part would cost. One site I was on recommended replacing this part to stop a tapping sound on cold engines. The part did not look that large, almost like a short pipe, located somewhere near the transmission. I hope the experts can gleam something from what little I have added. Good luck. 3rdjpowner :D
    I am the one who has the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 40,000 miles and has that tapping sound. It is only on the first start,last s about 20 or 30 minutes then goes away.
    The tapping is a regular,every morning and yes the sound goes faster when the acelarator is pushed down. I really need some suggestions! Please! :confuse:
  • 94jeep94jeep Posts: 2
    my jeep chatters 2000 rpm when it warms but when it shifts through the gears it quits i have notice oil pressure is a little low
    sounds like lifter have you tryed marvel mistry oil in the engine?
  • I have a 2002 JGC with 100,000 miles. It is now making a sound like the one you would hear if you put a baseball card in the spokes of bicycle wheel. The sound is loudest at the gear shift lever. It comes on when I take my foot off the accelerator, gets louder as I brake, and also comes on when the Jeep goes over a dip in the road. It does not sound when I accelerate, when I'm in reverse, or when the front drive shaft is out. So far we have checked the transmission, put in a different transfer case, put in a different drive shaft, and taken out the dust filters on both ends of the drive shaft. Everyone who has worked on it is now out of ideas. Can anyone out there solve this mystery?
  • mmelkimmelki Posts: 4
    I have a completely stock Jeep Cherokee 2000, no lift, no big tires, ALL STOCK. I just changed the track bar, steering stabilizer shock, drivers front U-joint and drivers front ball joints(upper and lower) and a steering alignment. I have "death wobble". What I want to know is why my Jeep makes a clunking sound when I turn at slower speeds, 1mph-25mph. It loves to make the noise when sharper turns are made. What could it be? Also noted I experienced a "death wobble" one week ago and it shook my steering wheel crooked, which is now fixed. Since then my 4 wheel drive light doesn't turn on anymore but the 4 wheel drive low and high both work properly. I don't care about the "death wobble" anymore, I just want to elimate the sound that it is making when I turn so that I can trade in my Jeep and return the favor to the dealership. Thank you in advance. If you would like you can email me @ akamikemelki@yahoo.com