Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• Hi, guys I'm new to this forum, very decent Home Mechanic, I have read the whole thing on the Jeep Grand Cherokee sound underneath and around the Transmission... Still a little lost, I guess two different answers;;;; My is a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition. AWD

1. TRANSFER CASE (Loud clunking noise from what sounds like the front driver's side axle or wheel? You can feel a thud under your feet? TRANSFER CASE . Jeep knows that they installed defective transfer cases but refuses to be responsible. I'm replacing mine for the SECOND time (1300 bucks!) Jeep recalled 1990-1998 model years GC 4X4's for defective transfer cases.)

2. TRANSMISSION: (Within the Transmission, actually to be more precise with the overdrive section of the transmission. Earlies Jeeps 1993 to 1998 were frequently having these problems.. )

Which one do I do First, I guess the cheaper one, right.

Dumb question, I hear that there was a recall from Jeep on the (TRANSFER CASE) between 90-98 years. I know recall also expire, how to I check with dealership? if jeep was every recalled for this TRANSFER CASE? problem.

Still need help....
  • Hi !...I am new to this forum also. I am glad to see you are willing to help anyone who needs it. I recently bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited from a Mercedes dealer. The car had 92k+ miles on it but it was well kept. The GC had a few issues which I discovered it had after I took owner-ship. The big one was it had no heat and nobody noticed that the a/c was always blowing cold air with no variance in the temperature no matter what the controls were set at. Who checks heat in the middle of the summer??!! To make a long story short, after reading about this problem on the web and learning about the "after market fix" I replaced the dual blend doors myself and the dealer paid for the part. Can you imagine that the jeep dealer wanted to tear the car apart only to put back another plastic part for $1400+ dollars!!!!!!
    Another issue I have which I will correct someday is the driver power seat with memory. The rear lift motor does not operate properly. When activated it tries to work but it sounds and looks like the gear on the screw drive is jammed. When I inquire about a new motor everyone, including junk yards, want to sell me the entire track. The dealers price looks like someones telephone # and the junk yards are asking half of that. I will have to take the seat out and remove the motor to see what's happening in there.
    The third and I hope last issue is one of the retaining clips on the filter air-box is missing. I figured that I might have to buy an entire set of four from the dealer at maybe a cost of $20 or so. The dealer told me that these clips come as part of the air-box which I would have to purchase if I wanted them????!!!!!!!! I bought an entire air-box on e-bay for 99 cents with $11 shipping.
    Anyway I just though I would share my experience so far with this GC. Driving it is a pleasure and I am ready for the up and comming snow season here in the north east................topat46
  • Hi all, i came across these forums while trying to google the question i have. I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has almost 150k Miles on it. Iv been taking good care of the car since iv owned it and iv had it for 8 years. Iv drove all across the country and back twice with it and i havent had any major problems except a valve spring on the cylinder head which broke causing missfire's which i replaced with the rest of them.

I had a new muffler put on awhile back and i noticed the heatsheild on that thing which connects to the muffler fell off the underside of the car cuss it was totally rusted out. Im not very car savey sadly so i dont know what this problem is comming from that im about to tell you.

Ok the problem is this. When i start the car and it sits idle or when i step on the gas doesnt matter its always there, the car is making a faint rattle noise underneeth. I dont know where exactly its comming from tho. Iv heared people say there car rattle's and when they put it in neutral it stops. I put the car in neutral and it doesnt stop so i dont think "well i hope" its not the tranny cuss it does this in park/neutral/drive ect.

Another problem i have with the car is the left front side when i go over 30MPH starts to HUMMM really loud to the point where i need to turn the radio on lol. I took it to a shop and they said it was the bearing in the left driver side wheel which needs replaced. I dont have the money they want to replace it so iv been driving my other car for the last month. Does this sound right too that the bearing is bad ?

Anyway thanks in advance

Oh i forgot to tell you its a 4X4 4.0L Jeep grand Cherokee

This was the part that fell off and here is what the underside looks like, it also seems like my oil pressure it always low after awhile i had the oil filter and oil replaced like 2 times now but when i started the jeep up today cuss its bad to keep it off for long periods of time i noticed the oil pressure mark was below the "40" mark on the dashboard. Is that normal ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Candymancan/HPIM0774.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Candymancan/HPIM0773.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Candymancan/HPIM0775.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Candymancan/HPIM0771.jpg
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    just heat shied for cat

rattle is prob the inside of cat as looks as if rusted prity bab so inside could be comming loose

sure sounds as if wheel bering is prob yos $$$$$ to change have to replace inner and outer plus holder as not able to service as indivaul peaces part cost bout 100.00 bucks labor bout 200 not to safe to drive as if berings freeze up at 50 mph all hell can brake loose
  • jeep4life0604 or anyone that can help.

I recently bought a 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L 2WD, 111,000 miles.
    I knew the rear end needed overhauled due to rear end whine and light vibration in overdrive. Had the rear end overhauled by a reputable shop which took care of the rear whine but the vibration in overdrive from 48 mph and up is still there. The owner of the driveline shop took me for a test drive and pointed out that the vibration seemed to be from the transmission and recommended I take it to his friend at a reputable Trans shop nearby. I went for a test drive with owner of the Trans shop and he did not think there was a problem with the Trans. He said others with the same type of vibration in the Jeep GC have had the driveshaft balanced and other repairs, which did not eliminate the vibration and said possibly new motor mounts and Trans mount may help. I installed all new mounts myself but vibration persists. The vibration goes away when lifting off accelerator or shutting off overdrive?

Help!!!

Thanks
  • I have a 2001 cherokee sport and I was recently getting a loud grinding sound from my rear axle. To make this short, I had my rear axle rebuilt because all gears and bearings were chopped up. Anyway, starting about 3 weeks later it is making a grinding sound again, but not as bad, it is more of a loud rumble. I went back to the mechanic and he said nothing is wrong. He says I have a bad cat, which does not seem to have anything to do with it.

It still has power, smooth driving, and no vibrations. It makes this noise all the time. I tried putting the jeep in neutral while driving and it is still there, so I do not think it is my drive shaft.
  • unekgalunekgal Posts: 15
    My 2001 cherokee squeals very, very loud when using the AC or defrost controls. Squeals when in idle and gets louder as I begin to drive. It sounds like the belt is giong to fly off. When I turn the controls completely off, the squeal stops immediately???? HELP!!!
    bad belt tighner change that and replace belt
    also could be bad comperssure as it runs when in defrost also
  • I have a 99 JGC limited with the same popping sound a lot of people seem to be hearing. I found by grabbing the front prop shaft I have a bit more movement than what seems normal, but what I notice most is the "clacking" sound is coming from the transfer case (NV-247)- would this be a stretched chain or possibly a bad gerotor? (157,000 miles- otherwise mechanically sound)

:mad:
    if you have the cvc joint typy front drive shaft checj the cvc joint for rughf of binbing as that will make transfer do funney things
  • trek87trek87 Posts: 49
    I have a few minor issues that you might have come across - I'd appreciate your help. I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.2L V8 AWD, 135K, all routine/preventative maintenance done, oil changed every 3K miles.

1) I also hear a repetitive humming/whining/soft drowned out helicopter sound once I break about 30 mph. From reading other posts on this forum, it sounds like it's my transfer case. It's been doing this for about 2 yrs. now, and has steadily gotten louder (but not to the point where I can't hear soft classical music or hold a conversation or anything). What do you think? On a cold start, there is also an irregular rattling/thud under the shifter that increases with speed until I drive about 50 ft., then it goes away.

2) On rare occasions, a low speed sharp turn has been accompanied by a shuddering/hesitation (almost as if a differential is malfunctioning). Also on sharp hard-over turns, I hear a metal scraping sound. Any ideas?

3) Sometimes my gas pedal seems to stop working, in the sense that I can be traveling at low speed, hit the gas, and nothing happens. I can release it, press it, release it a few times and it goes away...

4) Last but not least, when using cruise control, sometimes the rpm revs up and down a bit quickly, and I think this might be a throttle positioning sensor (requires a good vacuum seal), but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help you're willing to give!
  • check your front end, the soft humming sound sounds like it could be a wheel bearing or a CV joint / when you turn the wheel while driving it will sound like metal popping and the throttle sounds like the throttle positioning sensor and would explain why you can press the gas a cpl times and will regrab the tabs in the sensor and be ok
  • My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lmt. 4X4 V.8 vibrates when i start the car & as I'm driving seems to persist through on any speed range. i just recently done oil change. it's has 94k miles but it runs perfectly fine. No check engine lights appears. transmission services has been done regularly. the vibration is comes & goes. Steering wheel shakes as well but Not badly & engine makes louder noise than normal. Never notice this vibration before. Jeep might need wheel alignment but this could be the reason? don't want to bring to the dealer ship to get an estimate yet. Please anybody had this issue? give me some opinions... please thanxs!
    dose it vibrate when you are stoped?

if not then look at drive train if dose it all the time look for bad berings on engine (water pump alt ideler pulley )

do you change your own oil? check where you jacked it on the frame and make sure that you didnt bend some thing (jacked on the frame i hope as the axel dont like to be jacked on )
  • Sorry about the confusion, it sounded like i change my own oil. :0) I usually take it to Jiffy lube for oil change. Vibration begins when i start the engine. it seems like to me vibration is worst when car is warmed up. Car is lil over due from 90K miles service- currently 95K. I'm middle of searching for a good mechanic in town to see who can pin point the problem etc. Thanxs for your post BTW!
    Do you have a Jeep grand Cherokee? or previously did perhaps?
    2000 jeep gr ch larado 4x4 v8 4.7 with 188000 miles on it
    i change my own oil and use mobile 1 change at 7500 miles with fram ext service oil filter
    only prob i have had are rotor warp(caused by over tighting lug nuts on wheels now when i go to tire shop for rotation i thghten lugs my self)
    front drive shalf cvc joint bad
    altnator with bad bearing
  • Can anyone help me...I have an '05 grand cherokee with a middle rear seat belt that doesn't retrack...it's as tight as it can be. Can anyone help me?
    There are a number of possibilities in my opinion. If you feel the vibration when you're not moving, it could be build-up in the fuel injectors, since this can cause rough idling. I had my fuel injection system serviced at 130K and noticed a pleasant improvement. If the steering wheel shakes at a specific speed, then you need to balance your tires. An alignment issue won't usually cause vibration (unless something is loose) but it will produce unsafe/uneven wear on your tires. An oil change has no effect on any of the above.
    Also check the engine fan clutch, which can also go bad with normal wear.
    Also, how long has it been since you've changed your spark plugs & wires?
  • Actually taking my Jeep Grand Cherokkee to my mechanic tomorrow. i doubt that t the vibration will begin when i'm with my mechanic since the problem comes & goes. Seems like it does it when car is warm??? i'm guessing. It has been such hot weather in Los Angeles considering it's Nov. & i was cracking up the A.C. this pass weekend. that was when i felt the abnormal vibration. problem occurs either i'm driving or Not...I never felt this kind of vibration before tho. i will keep you post it & let you know what cause the vibration - Well..., if i find out..hopefully i will. Thanxs for suggestion. !!!! :0)
    If the problem gets worse with the A/C turned on, it may be an engine belt issue (the A/C unit draws power from the engine belt). If the belt is too loose or too tight, it could contribute to the issues you're having.
  • OK thanxs! i will mention these suggestions to my mechanic tomorrow. I'm way over due from my transmission & other services. etc. When car was 60K, Shock & fan clutch been serviced. I get done my oil change every 3500 miles tho. but i know i have told that Jeep Grand Cherokee has some issues with transmission??? my spark plugs like you mentioned-been serviced sometime ago. however i lost all my records since i moved so many times. BTW car was keep continuing to vibrating when A.C. was turned off today. How often do you have to change the engine belt? when i was reading my manual it recommend 90K. service. Hope my mechanic can pin point the problem & give me honest estimate what i need to be done for 95K services. Thanxs again!!!
    For max. reliable lifetime, change transmission fluid every and service repack both differentials every 30K. Change spark plugs every 30K to keep a ~5% edge on fuel economy (esp. w/ the V8's). I change my engine belt every 30K, depending on how worn it looks after 20K. The 90K service should include everything above. Good luck.
  • New to the forum here. I just purchased an 03 Cherokee Limited for my daughter. The steering wheel has a squeaking in it when turning left or right. I put some silicone spray on it where it goes through the firewall inside and out, but it sounds like it is coming from underneath the cover by the ignition. Is there something under there that can cause it to squeak.

Thanks in advance.

Scootter1
    yea is called a clock spring

rides on slip ring eorks as a wire

prob need to have steering wheel removed and re grease the ring (rember that you have air bags and dangrus if you dont know what you are doing)
  • Thanks for the reply.

Scott
  • agillagill Posts: 19
    Transfer case, np247 has VC, viscouse coupler, when the rear wheel slip vc will engage front wheels. These go bad making it difficult to shift into 4 low or even just grinding. probably easiest to replace whole thing, like 700 bucks for part, maybe 2 hours labor.
    Big bang from the rear when you hit bumps. There is a ball joint on the rear axle, 40.00, to replace. Just did it today, not to hard to do. Best to remove entire upper control arm on the rear axle.
    Do you get a clicking from the front axle when you turn, this is the cv joint on the axle.
    Squeek on speed bump=sway bar bushings.
  • agillagill Posts: 19
    recently i replaced the ball joint on the rear upper control arm. The major clunking went away but there is still some clunking. I know that there are bushings on the lower control arms as well. What i am not sure of is if this will clunk as well or if i need to replace the entire upper control arm (on the rear.) Not sure if it helps but it is a '99 JGC 4.7L laredo. Any Ideas?
  • Whenever I come to a slow rolling stop there is a the delayed "thump" you can feel under the center column. My car barely has 2000 miles on the, and it's been to the shop three times. They tell me they've checked the undercarriage nothing to lose or moving...." and all the noises are completely normal". For some reason, I just don't think my brand-new truck should be doing this. Also, at a stop light in drive there are seems to be a over exacerbated vibration, I'm not sure if this is normal either. SOMEONE please help shed some light on this.
    Thank you Mark