Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Navigation and Electronics

191011121315»

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    The FM reception in our '07 Outlander isn't very good, either. Haven't tried to do anything about it, we use the Sirius or listen to CD's.
  • For whatever reason, the dealer didn't install the antenna, the "plug" was left from the factory. Needless to say, it is working fine now.

Many thanks, fushigi, for your advice. It pointed me in the right direction.
  • Check the antenna :), it was missing on the 2010 Outlander.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    You're welcome. As I posted in the 2010 thread, I just crossed 10K miles in my GT and haven't had any problems worth noting so far. I don't expect any either, as my prior car - a '99 Galant - was practically trouble-free over 152K miles and 10+ years.

Enjoy!
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    Oh there's an antenna there. Maybe part of it is the the loss of sound clarity going from satellite to antenna signal.
  • I have a 2009 Outlander without Navi, but with Rockford sound. Does anyone know if I can get Navigation added? Do I need to go to the dealer?
    On the 2010s, the center stack is different for nav v. non-nav vehicles. I'm assuming the 2009 is similar.

All the buttons & the LED display in the regular center stack are replaced by the single movable touchscreen on nav-equipped cars (see pics 7 & 11 for nav & 13 for regular at http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/outlander/10/index.do#/?page=interior_gal- lery). While the RF stereo "core" would probably remain untouched (just the control panel being replaced), I would guess that the cost to replace the control unit, dash panels, etc. would be very high.

In this case I'd recommend a good portable GPS instead. Or use a smartphone that provides GPS services. If you use Sprint and have an Everything Data plan GPS services are at no extra charge.
  • Besides, the Mitsubishi NAV really sucks. The maps are outdated by 2 years even on a brand new purchase (a new 2010 Outlander has 2008 map data) and the thing can't navigate you to the corner store unless it's in a shopping center or you know the address.

Go smartphone, at least the maps are current and if you get an android, for instance, you can use voice to navigate.
  • annis_2006annis_2006 Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    My Outlander's navigation unit works okay for the most part, but when I try to input a destination it takes 5 minutes to load all the POI's. When it FINALLY does, it usually closes the screen and goes back to the map. It does this more often when I'm typing in the name of my POI, cutting me off halfway through. It takes about 4 or so tries to get it to actually work. This is incredibly frustrating due to the insane price I paid to get this package.

Does this happen with other Outlanders or is it just mine?

Is there a way to make it stop doing this? ANY thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

As for the head unit DVD player:

I have tried putting the key in every position with the car in every gear and it will NOT play DVDs. I can see a picture for a split second and hear the audio continuously. It accepts the DVD and gives me an error message essentially saying that it will not play DVDs when moving (regardless of the gear I'm in).

I can't remember what the message is exactly, but it's quite polite and is also very frustrating. Not sure if something got hooked something up wrong during installation (which would be weird because it looks like it's just a few wire harnesses), if it needs to be updated or just needs to be curb-stomped.

Any thoughts on this would also be much appreciated.

Thoughts?
  • kricciokriccio Posts: 1
    I want to know the same thing on how to remove the appearances from the display. I found the sirus module behind the glove compartment and I disconnected the wires from it figuring that would do it but the appearances still show up on the display .
  • I have an 07' Outlander with the Rockford Fosgate Nav/DVD system. Was playing laptop sound through the aux inputs at rear of arm rest. After unplugging laptop i get no sound from any speakers. Still turns on, navigation still works, just no sound at all. Not even the little beeps when making selections, and no voice prompts from bluetooth phone activation. Can anyone help?
    Sounds like everything is working except for what actually pushes sound to the speakers. With that in mind, I'd guess the problem is related to the amplifier.

Check the amplifier fuse first. Then the amp itself.
  • Does anyone have any complaints with the in dash stock Hardrive radio? Seems strange that many of the same class competitors hasn't followed suit with one: Forester/Rav4/CRV/Sportage etc.
    I've got the navi and RF stereo with the HD in my GT. After just about 2 years & nearly 100 CDs ripped to it I've no complaints. It's worked fine in Chicagoland's hot summers & cold winters. Well, I've one complaint: That I can't copy MP3s directly from the USB port to the HD. It rips normal CDs only; if you have purchased MP3s you have to create an audio CD from them & then have the stereo rip it. As that's a minor hassle I've instead left purchased MP3s on a thumb drive I leave plugged in.

Anyway, for music storage Mitsu is one of very few automakers that gives you the option of internal storage on your stereo. Chrysler's MyGIG is another. Most automakers basically don't give the option and simply require the owner to provide their tunes via something that plugs into the USB port or streams over BlueTooth.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,643
    My wife has a new Infiniti that you can rip CDs to...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I don't know. It seems like a no brainer to me, to be able to store audio files on a hardrive to play from and rip to at will. Then there's no need for an external mp3 player. I'm curious to find out why its not a big hit especially since hardrives and high storage are so cheap. A terabyte is only $50 bux.
    A few of points:

Hard drive prices aren't what they were two months ago. The Thailand flooding has seen to that. As a commodity item, hard drive prices fluctuate a lot and automakers like to keep costs as fixed as possible over a production run. Look at the price of a 1TB drive right now; the cheapest 1TB desktop drive right now at Newegg is $139.

3.5" desktop drives are inappropriate for automotive use. They are too large and aren't ruggedized to withstand the vibrations & temperature changes that come with automotive use. Example: Most desktop drives aren't designed to work below freezing. They can also throw off a lot of heat. Some 2.5" laptop are ok, but my guess is the automakers are using 1.8" drives which command a price premium over their larger brethren.

Adding recording capability raises complexity both in hardware & software; there's more stuff to design & more chances for something to break (or have bugs). So it costs more to build and has potentially higher costs due to warranty work.

Put all of that together & compare it to the cost of adding a USB port & letting the consumer supply the device. Support for MP3 decoding is a sunk cost as the codecs are already used for things like decompressing satellite radio signals.
  • I have a Outlander 2010 without NAVI . I'm going to replace the factory installed AM / FM radio for the NAVI unit from eBay - cost about $ 300
    Does that make sense, or buy more expensive unit for about $ 600? Is there a difference in the use of this devices, or maybe this operation will affect the warranty?
    Does anyone have this have any previous experience?
    Without knowing what model nav systems you're talking about it's hard to offer much advice. Are you talking about the OEM system - Mitsu's nav -- and one from a 2010 Outlander or a 3rd party nav/stereo?

Regarding warranty, if you replace the stereo you won't have a stereo warranty but that's it. The warranty for the rest of the car is unaffected. If you buy a 3rd party unit then the nav would be covered by whatever that manufacturer offers, if anything. FWIW if you had the dealer install a Mitsu unit it would come with at least a 1 year warranty (pretty much all parts installed by the dealer carry at least a 1-year warranty).

Note that the OEM nav shipped with map data from 2008 IIRC so if you're buying a Mitsu nav you might also want to order the $200 map upgrade from your local Mitsu dealer. I haven't upgraded my maps yet but probably will before the summer driving season starts.

If cost is a factor and you're satisfied with the stereo but just want a nav unit, you might be better off getting a nice Garmin or other brand portable GPS and just live without having nav integrated.
  • fastgstfastgst Posts: 46
    edited June 2012
    A dealer tell me they stock a bunch of the Navigation unit and it is same across the different cars like Lancer, Evo etc. The sales said they can put it into an outlander. I seriously doubt this will be done correctly, there is video input on the factory installed cars in the center console and I know you can get this part swapped out but I doubt they will know.

Now on the outlander factory system there is a backup camera which would require wiring through the hatch lid and drilling on the rear hatch.. That said on a premium package on the SE or called Touring package on the GT has rear camera already, but it appears on the mirror. So pretty sure this is a pre-requirement although I don't know how it will conflict with the special mirror with LCD on it.

The sales would tell me anything to close the deal but I think I am going to avoid this now, too bad it is rather difficult to find one with a Navigation. What are your thoughts on this?