Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX and car seats

2»

Comments

• upstate doc - which Britax model do you have?
  • I am a huge Britax fan. All of my kids have Britax seats. Our youngest is in a Britax Marathon and our two oldest are in Britax Frontier booster seats. I'm hoping that all three of our seats will fit in an MDX.

Sounds like your son is ready for a Britax Marathon. Go to the Britax website. You can enter your child's information (height, weight, etc) and once you plug all that in they show you the Britax seats that are perfect for your child. It's a really helpful feature on their website!
  • Britax Marathon

That's the one.
  • Yes, it is very secure and yes it does have both latches. I have a 2008 MDX, and my son's Britax front facing seat has been in the center seat for almost a year now. It is secured with LATCH and solid, no give at all.
  • andrewnjandrewnj Posts: 3
    I had the same doubt when I tried car seats installation in dealer last weekend, though I managed to install two car seats by sharing one latch for both.

Later I found a manual of 2009 in the internet and it gives the location of the two latches for the center seat. You need to pull up the cover below the armrest to find the latch closer to passenger side, and pull up the flap at the bottom of the bolster for another one (driver seat side), which I failed to find.

I actually drove by the dealer today and confirmed that above statement is also true for 2010 mdx.

BTW, I was able to install a sunshine(80 lbs) in the middle and a marathon in outboard seat, while the seat behind passenger could still fold down to allow the access to third row. Really really happy about this, :-)
  • familycar5familycar5 Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    andrewnj- I am pretty sure that it is dangerous for two carseats to share a LATCH anchor. Just wanted to let you know...I just learned that myself. =)

Question: You said you installed a sunshine radian in the middle and a marathon outboard and were still able to fold down the passenger outboard side to gain access to the third row. I've been wondering if I could get something like this to work, so this was great to hear! My question: Are these seats you installed forward facing or rear facing? Installed with LATCH or seatbelt installation? Thanks!

Just wanted to add that I have a 2010 MDX and there are LATCH anchors in all three seating positions in row 2, which is awesome. You're right, the LATCH anchors for the center position are hidden under a little cover, but they're there. There are no LATCH anchors in the 3rd row, but there are top tethers for the third row...as well as top tethers for all three seating positions in the 2nd row.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the warning on sharing the latch. Is it ok to share how you learned it?

>>> Are these seats you installed forward facing or rear facing? Installed with LATCH or seatbelt installation?

I tried two configurations: 1) both forward facing 2) middle forward facing and outboard rear facing.

For both configurations, the third seat could still be folded down. And I used latch for the installation.
    edited April 2010
    andrewnj- Thanks for providing me the information about your installations. It's really great to hear because I have a marathon and was looking to get a radian as well. But, did you do those installs by sharing a LATCH anchor?

In regards to the LATCH anchor sharing, it is very dangerous. The LATCH anchors are designed to hold only a certain amount of weight and just one carseat at a time. (The women on car-seat.org are very helpful and could answer any questions you have about carseats. I've learned a lot on that site.) Also, I went and double checked my 2010 MDX manual and on page 49 it states, "Do not attach two child seat connectors to a single lower anchor at a time."

The awesome thing about the MDX is how "car-seat friendly" it is. That's why I bought it. So, even if it was safe, you won't have to "LATCH share" anyhow because there are lots of options for you in this car. The fact that it has three separate sets of LATCH in row 2 and top tether anchors in ALL seating positions in rows 2 and 3 make it a great choice for families with children in carseats.

Hope that helps! :)
    Thanks for the additional information, familycar5.

And yes, the installation I tried in dealer was sharing the latch with driver side seat as I couldn't find the one for center back then.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    "BTW, I was able to install a sunshine(80 lbs) in the middle and a marathon in outboard seat"

My kids (4 and 1 1/2 years) would bop each other in the head all day if they sat that close, they need the space, lol.
    edited April 2010
    andrewnj- No problem! :) I think that you'll still be able to do the marathon and radian next to each other when using the separate LATCH anchors you'll find outboard and in the center position.

Just thought I'd post some more info for others that come to this thread that I gathered about the dangers of sharing LATCH anchors:

LATCH anchors are designed to hold just one connector and be pulled at a certain angle on impact. Having two connectors on one anchor would overload the anchor in terms of force, but also pull the anchor in two different directions. Add to that the fact that two connectors attached so closely together could potentially cause each one to either fail completely or detach from impacting against one another, and you basically have a recipe for disaster.

There is no safety advantage to using LATCH. Seatbelt installation is just as safe. It's not uncommon to hear of people using LATCH in a seating position that does not offer it (also known as "borrowing"), and using both LATCH and the seatbelt... "just in case". So in the end, it's never okay to double up. Not a single seat manufacturer allows for it, nor do any automakers.
  • Hi all,
    I'm new to this thread so my apologies if this is a repeat question, but I'm in a rush to get my carseat fixed!! How do I get the radian to install tight in my '04 mdx (behind driver side)? I went to 2 fire stations and the techs could only get it installed (w/LATCH) in a way that made the seat still move up to 5" side to side... I'm not impressed!! My Britax Regent and Marathon each install *solidly* in the car... the car moves, not the seat - but the Radian is terrible. Don't want to replace it but am at a loss on why it's not installing tightly... please help!
  • That doesn't sound like a good install on your Radian, I agree. Were you trying to get it forward facing or rear facing? I've heard that rear facing is HARD (unless it's in the center) but i hear forward facing installs are great with the Radian in the MDX.

I highly suggest visiting the car-seat.org website. Start a thread in the "carseat question, tips, and advice" section and there will be lots of people to help you out. There are a bunch of ladies on there that are quite familiar with the Radian and how to use it in the MDX.

Good luck!
  • mdxer4mdxer4 Posts: 3
    Is it possible to remove the 3rd row? Will I get additional trunk room for the golf clubs and will it help mileage?

Thanks
  • Hi,
    does anyone have any experience with rear-facing convertible car seats to put in the rear passenger-side 2nd row? we are both 6 feet tall, so we need something that is not too big to allow the front passenger seat to be back a little, not forward all the way. we have a sunshine kids radian 65 forward facing for our oldest...but when that was rear facing in our Maxima, my knees touched the glove box when I was in the front passenger seat.

thanks!
  • I'm trying to provide day care for a friend but it would mean fitting two rear facing car seats in the middle row and two front facing car seats in the back row. The manual says the back row can hold front facing car seats, but when we took our car seats to our local police department to have them properly installed, the three police men gave up after an hour and a half. Something about the angle of that back seat and the seat belt was causing the seat belt clip to move, meaning the car seats would get installed securely, and three minutes later they would be loose again.

I've been told by Acura that it is possible, but it's going to depend on the car seat as much as anything else, and they have no recommendations. Does any one have a car seat that they have safely installed in the last row that they can tell me the make and model on? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • solaris72solaris72 Posts: 16
    edited July 2012
    I have 2 kids with ages 4 and 5, and installed two car seats in the 2nd row. But now the problem is i cant access the 3rd row completely. Is there anyway i can fold the middle seat on 2nd row alone? I cant put a car seat in the middle row as there will be fight .

Now that I'm using this MDX 2012 as my 2000 model car! (5 seater)...I'm little upset about it.

Any help/ideas?
  • You need to get a car with bucket seats in the 2nd row
  • 2010 MDX. I have my car seat in the center, I cannot see out of my rear view mirror with a Britax Car Seat in the center. It just isn't safe for driving. I am ready to get rid of the MDX because it just isn't big enough to have a car seat in the back and have anyone else back there. It's just so small. I have three kids and they will be squeezed in so tight with the car seat in any position besides center. how has anyone else managed? Also, when adults get in the back seat (not the third row) they always state that the car is so small and it's such a tight squeeze for an adult to sit.
2»