Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• nottowaynottoway Posts: 67
    After a couple of days with no check engine light, suddenly while crusing at about 45 mph, it came on. Stayed on during a 1 hour freeway speed drive, stopped for lunch. Restarted engine and light was off !!
    I think I have a gremlin hidding in my engine compartment who likes to see me cringe !!
  • dfv10312dfv10312 Posts: 1
    I have aa 2002 Jeep Liberty, 103,000 mi Always perfectly maintained, oil and fluids always clean. Ran like new. Last week car would not turnover, finally after pressing gas petal hard a few times it started but with an extemely loud sound. Sort of a banging. Found out after investing thousands constantly replacing brakes, steering, radiators ect, I now need a head job, about 2600.00. It is probably easier to just replace engine but what next! I am getting rid of it and will never get a jeep again.
  • badjeep4badjeep4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited that only has 63,000 miles. Bad Cylinder 2. I may be trading this weekend. Of course, it has new tires too.
  • last week my check engine light came on went to my mechanic and he said I needed a new right head gasket and radiator. Radiator was clogged which could have been why head gasket failed. So he did both head gaskets he also did not send the heads to a machine shop in an effort to save me money and the time but isn't this a necessary step? and replaced the radiator. One week later check engine light is flashing and there is a knocking noise in the engine. I thought a part was going to fly out! So he listened last night and said it was a lifter noise. Which is in the same place he was just at. Could he have caused the lifter problem? Or shouldn't he have seen it while he was in there?
  • jshear2jshear2 Posts: 1
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

After having to replace my crank sensor twice and my cam sensor, my Jeep still had issues. Turns out even if your vehicle is off, that the coils are still hot and because of that, I had to replace 4 or the 6 coils. Almost $1,000 later it seems ok.. Gone about 50 miles.. So far. I called Chrysler to complain and to check if there are any recalls and I was told to go to the highway traffic administration website to check for any recalls or to make a complaint. I was told that the only way Chrysler will go about reimbursement or to fix issues such as these is if people go to that site and make official complaints. It only took me ten minutes to send it in. I could not believe how many people with Jeep Liberty’s had the same exact issues as we did. Thought I would send this link.. Maybe if we complain we can get some place.. Lesson in all of this, if your crank sensor or cam sensor needs to be replaced, disconnect the battery or your going to have to replace melted coils.
  • cl8oncl8on Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem, AC runs even when compressor button in off position. Were you able to get this resolved?
  • My 2002 Liberty with the 3.7 litre engine lost power and the engine symbol came on under hard acceleration getting on the freeway. This was the second time. The first time was bad fuel at Walmart. My wife did not know that I have been using BP or Chevron 89 Octane. My mechanic said it was a misfire and turned the light off . I put some fuel additive in and the problem went away. This second time was a misfire on #4 cylinder, He turned the light off and said if it happens again we would need to look at the coil or injector. The Jeep has 159,000 miles with 89,000 on the second engine. I am using Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage oil and it uses a quart every 1000 miles vs every 700 on conventional 10w30. Now I have a rattle in the engine under hard acceleration. Almost like valves rattling, but a more airy sound to it. I need some advice on this...
  • We bought a brand new 2011 Jeep Liberty and had only 9 miles on it. We have had a jerkiness in the engine from day one that feels like a shudder. The next Monday we took it back to the delership and the technician that serviced it said no codes came back so we took it for test drive and he confirmed that there was definatally something wrong with the Jeep and maybe sometime in the future they might have a computer upgrade to deal with this issue. He stated that there were similar complaints on this same issue going back to older models and he would called manufacturer but everyone was out to lunch. So we asked to speak with the service manager who proceeded to tell us that he had another customer that complained about the same issue but ened up liking the way the Jeep drove. He then told us to drive it for a little while longer to, "break-it-in" but the Jeep still constentally shudders/jerks. Has anyone had any smiliar issues? Thanks
  • 2011 jeep liberty has engine problem. Jerks and feels like a miss at 55 mph while in 4th gear. Two different dealers can find no codes or problems. Drove another like liberty and it has the same problem. This makes it a Chrysler/Jeep problem. I'm waiting to hear from them as to what the solution is to fix this very anoying problem.
  • Talked to Chrysler rep today and they are still saying that they will get back to me. It is a very annoying problem having the engine feel like it is missing and surging. That along with the vibration, coming from something is also a problem that needs fixing. I would not give Chrysler/Jeep a favorable reccomendation based on there lack of response to my problem. Anyone else having problems with a new 2011 Jeep?
  • kit10kit10 Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    :mad: I have just been given the news I have a burnt valve on my 2007 Jeep liberty with only 41k. Just bought in August. Interesting, I had the same issues and symptons that I have been reading. Anyone want to share their thoughts? I luckily bought an extended warranty......but have not received the verdict on coverage.
  • 7 months out of power train warranty.54,000 miles.Had it repaired 1.5 weeks ago.Happened again today.Eddie Accardi in Pompano repaired it.Left it there this evening but they won't be open til Monday.Shut the engine off it's running ok.Go to restart it and it's missing and clacking.Both times.I thought that this was a Daimler-Benz engine.German technology?I would be interested in a class action law suit.
  • michael30144michael30144 Posts: 10
    edited December 2010
    I stopped using cheap gas, put some gumout fuel system cleaner and my problem went away. Shell gas, Walmart, Kroger gas are not worth the savings. Quick Trip, Texaco, Chevron, and BP gas. The high concetrations of Ethanol with cause a lower flash point and missfire . My engine has 80,000 miles and I have to use mid grade to avoid value rattles.
  • kit10kit10 Posts: 2
    I too think there should be a legal action. I am still dealing with loose intake valve, with a 4th trip into the dealership within a 2 months. They have been very helpful. But will this be a quick fix -band aid on the problem. I feel they know there is a major issue as does Chrysler. For the future I am hesitant about the worthiness of the car or any Jeep/Chrysler product.
  • I have a 2002 liberty, it recently die out and when I restarted it was shaking and knocking. I had it towed to the repair shop. Mechanic removed valve cover the valve spring on piston # 4 was broken. He removed the head and found a broken valve sear and a blowed piston. It appears the sear became loose and drop down during combustion and was trap between the valve and the seat. The fragments caused the piston to blow.
  • I have a Jeep Liberty with a 3.7 liter v6 engine.Seemed fine till I hit 54,000 miles.7 months out of the drive train warranty I started having valve problems.Took it to Eddie Accardi in Pompano Bch.They repaired it for 1200.Mileage was 54017.2 weeks later same problem on other side.Called Chrysler about problem.They were nice enough to cover the warranty .Cost to me 100.Mileage 54222.Monday,Feb. 6,2011 valve noise started again.Mileage now less than 55500.Dropped it off to Accardi on Monday,now it's Wednesday and I don't believe they even looked at it.Called Chrysler again.They were very pleasant and the lady I talked to is trying to help me.There is definitely a defect in this engine and why isn't the public aware of this?This engine ,I believe,is a daimler/benz motor.German technology?
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,251
    What year is your Liberty ?
  • I Have a 2002 Liberty Limited with 106,000 miles. About a week ago I had a problem start where the engine was missing and would not idle below 1000 Rpm's. After a short trip and shutting the engine off, I restarted the Liberty and it ran fine for 2 days. After a 6 mile trip to the grocery store(Liberty running perfect), My wife came out and started it and it was back to the same condition as 2 days ago. After limping it to my mechanic, the computer showed a #2 cylinder misfire. After replacing spark plugs, Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors it was discovered there was no compression in that cylinder. He pulled the valve cover and found that the spring on the #2 cylinder exhaust valve was broken and the lifter came out of it's seat and lodged under the camshaft damaging the cam and the head. Have to replace the head to the tune of $1250.00. Called Chrysler and they said they are unaware of any problems like this. Guess they don't check these sites or ones like them because this seems to be a real problem. Did a little research and they changed the part number on the exhaust valve spring on the 2006 model while the intake spring is the same for all models from 2002-present. Seems that most of the valve train problems are from 2002-2005. Coincidence, I don't think so. Anybody know where to register a complaint besides Chrysler that may make a difference.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,251
    An engine repair at 106k miles will generate little action by any agency. My 03 has 31k miles -- putting on only a few k per year since retirement. Runs great. At this rate, I'll need that repair in 35 years. Sorry for your repair but $1250 isn't too bad. Hope the rest of the springs hold up.
  • bep1234bep1234 Posts: 1
    I think im having the same issues. just bought a new 2011 liberty, have 1000 miles on it. since day one i have felt a shudder\vibration mainly at speeds above 50 mph. its not the tires! it feels drivetrain related. havnt had time to take it to dealer yet. Anyone got more info on this? also engine sounds terrible at idle, has a loud ticking noise, is this normal?