Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Noises and Sounds

Comments

• siberiasiberia Posts: 520
    or passenger door area.

When driving so as to adequately produce the noise have a passenger push outward on the passenger side door/glass usually at the upper front corner. The pitch or sound level will change dramatically if it is the door seal. On small cheesy vehicles it does not take much pressure to reveal the location of such an air leak that will not usually leak water. I may take a pretty good push on a Liberty to reveal this kind of leak.
  • tjb2tjb2 Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 Liberty with 39,000 miles and I experience the same problem when turning into a parking spot, but not on a highway. A "whirring" sound followed by the grating sound you described. Any ideas guys? I recently bought my Jeep certified pre-owned, and I would like to have the work done before the warranty expires.

Thanks for any help....
  • 02 liberty sport with 100k starts right up.But when temperature is below 30degrees it whines for a few seconds or sounds like a reving turbine fan. the colder it is the longer it makes the sound, but never longer than 10 seconds.nobody has a clue ,any idea on what the problem is?
  • hi, i have a new problem w/my liberty, ive already battled the flashing lights prob..still ongoing...
    i won the heater battle though....

so now when i shift from Park to Reverse and start to back up i get this loud, hard bang. like something is stuck?????

its so loud and hard that others in parking lots actually look!!!!

side note: i feel like my e-brake is sticky too after i went to a drive-thru carwash...so im afraid to use it now...
  • Hey, I was wondering if you got a professional response about the noises your 02 Liberty makes when you reverse???

My 04 Liberty has the same problem and my dealer isn't giving me and answers..

Thanks..
  • I was wondering of any other 04 Liberty owners have experienced this problem.

I hear and feel a vibration and grinding noise in the rear end of my 04 Lib when I’m turning a corner or reversing at low speeds, it almost feels as though my e-brake is stuck or on, which it’s not...the dealership where I bought it, not even 2 months ago, said that they can’t find anything wrong. It’s really annoying and embarrassing because I just bought it...

Also, it has brand new brakes all around so thats not it..

Anyone????
  • Did this problem exist before the new brake job? If not, then you may want to have the brake job checked.
  • Hey all! My first time here. I have a 2005 Liberty and am getting a constant "Whine" when I press the gas. It has just over 100,000 miles on it now. The sound seems to be coming from the AC compressor. Any suggestions? I was told by the dealer it might be the tensioner or the pulley.
  • I have a 2006 liberty with 51k witch I in joy very much. resented I started to hear a rubbing sound on my right front wheel. I hear it when I go over bumps and when I
    come to a stop and when I turn the steering wheel left and right I jacked
    it up and checked the ball joints and every thing looks to be fine. I also put on the spire tire but the sound is still there HELPI don't have much money at the moment to take it to the shop and I really like the Jeep very much but that sound is driving me Crazy!!!
  • bfibfi Posts: 1
    You most likely have "posi-track" in the rear differential, my friend had the same noises, more posi-track additive in the rear diff fixed it. (Proportion of additive to gear oil needs to be higher.)
  • tmachtmach Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that has developed a noise that seems to be coming from the front end, possibly the wheels, though not sure. It is a high pitched whine that occurs in cold weather (20 degrees and lower) at speeds between 62 and 65 miles per hour. Does anybody have any thoughts?
  • (I posted this message on the Jeep Diesel forum and got no response, perhaps this will get someones attention) We recently purchased an 05 Liberty CRD and really like the way it handles and it fits our desire to off road. After having a jeep dealer check it out completely ( on the computer) it has had all of the recalls taken care of and it does not have any warning codes that come up. As soon as we got it home we noticed a slight rubbing noise that comes from underneath. It sounds like a metal-to-metal noise similar to a dragging disk brake, not severe but just enough to be audible. I played around with the transfer case shift lever and shifted from 2W to 4PT and back again and it seemed to go away for a day. Then it came back again today. Has anyone had this same experience? I am concerned that it is doing some damage. This Jeep was towed behind an RV for awhile before we purchased it.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    If you can put the Jeep on a lift, go underneath and rotate the wheels by hand. You will be closer to the eventual source of friction you describe.
    The transfer case has nothing that can rub against the transmission shafts, so the only source of friction I could imagine should come from inside, along the chain or a bearing :confuse:
    Do you have enough oil in there?
    When you switch between 2 and 4WD, the parts that you move remain in the oil bath.
  • siberiasiberia Posts: 520
    It is virtually impossible for a Jeep transfer case to be harmed by towing behind an RV if the case is properly filled with oil. There is a cheesy but adequate pump in the bottom of the case that pumps oil to the upper mechanism in the case and the chain caries copious amounts of oil to the top also. Over loaded in deep sand or heavy mud the planetary gears may become spalled without breaking. When this happens a subdued dry sound comes from the transfer case between 15 and 40 miles per hour, maybe - audible with the windows down. When this happens the fluid become brown or darkened. I would suspect something else before this.
  • Thank you for the feed back, (siberia & caribou1) I took my Liberty in and had a tech at the dealership listen to the noises and the general concensis was that the Parking brake shoe (the drum portion of the brake) was dragging intermittantly. When the parking brake was pulled on and then released the sound goes away, sometimes. They said the brake is self adjusting and probably would do the same thing again from time to time. I'm relieved that it does not seem to come from the Dif. or X-fer case.
  • I seem to be having the same trouble with my 2003 Jeep Liberty. The noise gets louder on realy cold days and practically disapears on warm days. I suspect the struts but I;m not sure. Can anyone offer a fix?
  • ale87ale87 Posts: 1
    I have an automatic 04 Jeep Liberty with about 58k on it, give or take. About a week ago, it started making these almost grinding sounds whenever I would speed up right about where it would shift gears. I know jeeps have transmission problems when they get older, so I thought that it was something in the transmission...? Every day I drive it, it gets louder and louder. I've been keeping up with the oil changes and all that, but have yet to go to a mechanic because I know almost nothing about cars, and I don't want them to overcharge me for something seeing as how I am basically broke. Any ideas as to what it could be? Please help!!
  • 06 Lib/crd. Growling noise coming from the engine compartment when shifting between gears, even louder when shifting up an incline. I checked and all of our cats are accounted for...
  • Yo,
    Sounds like we may be experiencing the same noise. I have not checked belts or hose connections to the turbo and air intake but it almost sounds like it might be something like that. Let me know if you find the fix and I will do the same.
    Backhoebob
  • Well I just bought a Liberty limited with 37000KM.
    Right after installing winter tires on the vehicle and driving home there was a noise that was coming from the rear. I work for saturn saab dealership as a mechanic. It does not sound like a diff, suspention or any metal on metal sound. It sounds as if the latch for the top glass is loose. I went ahaid and opened the glass, drove around. The noise is still there. Took off the hatch panel, no change. I can't seem to figure this out. The spare tire is very secure and the liscence plate is also secure. Now I didnt get a chance to lift it up n look under since the noise wasnt there when I baught it. Checked the rear seats and they are secure in place. It's not the jack since I had a friend ride in the back seats while I drove. The noise is really comming from the rear rear.
    Sorry for such a long post. Its driving me crazy.....
    If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you in advance.