Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NFL Football

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    I'm a Peyton fan, and I thought it was the best call by Belichick under the circumstances. If Eli had been across the line of scrimmage, then maybe a punt would have been better but if there had been no ball bobble on the 4th down catch, then the game is essentially over.

Belichick didn't manage the timeouts so well, so there was no chance to dispute the spot on the juggled pass. Peyton on the other hand managed to score slowly on their last series so that time was about out when the Colts made the go-ahead score.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Gutsy call... no doubt. Most other coaches would have ran the ball 3 times then punted. As a head coach you can't be worried about the ramifications (i.e media) of calling a play that doesn't work, especially one that goes outside the norm of what is considered "smart" football. If that play suceeds, everyone is calling "Belichick" the greatest coach that ever lived.

I can't remember the name of the reciever on that forth down play, but he reached up, the football hit his hands,dropped down, then he caught it near his chest. There really wasn't a bobble. Looking at the replays it looked like the Patriots got a bad spot, looked to be either good or short by a few inches (not a yard short). But, like you said, burn your timeouts you risk not having any for what could have been a game changing challenge.
    Yeah, I haven't seen much in the way of replays - just a few YouTube ones. The ref near the scene was moving his hands in the "juggle" signal, but yeah, the spot was probably closer to inches being too short or just enough.

I like the Arkansas high school coach who looked at all the odds, and now his team never* punts. And they keep winning.

*"Coach Kevin Kelley and his Bruins won the state championship in Arkansas' third-largest classification last season and did not punt. This year, they are 7-2 with one punt - the other team was so surprised the ball went 51 yards with no return."

Leader Telegram
  • ...but, when they went to the line, I said to myself, "Must be trying to draw them offsides"..

When they snapped it, I said out loud (also to myself), "What an idiot!". And, that was before I saw the result.. I really expected them to make it, but I still thought it was the wrong call.

They held Indy to 17 points over the first three quarters... Punt the ball, and make them go 70 yards.... They need a touchdown, not a field goal.. Peyton Manning may be the best quarterback of all time, but even he doesn't score a TD on 2/3 of his possessions (if we are playing the odds..)

Bill Belichick may be a football genius (and, a snappy dresser!), but that was just a boneheaded call..

That Arkansas high school team is a great story... and, it should serve as a lesson to coaches to not be so conservative.... But, that coach does some pretty dumb stuff, as well.. (Runs out of bounds after fielding the kickoff?). Even that guy should keep an open mind..

Who Dey! :)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Some interesting comments over at Advanced NFL Stats (this is really more of Tidester's bailiwick):

"according to the NFLN the Patriots have converted 78% of all 4th downs in recent years"

"Since 2000, including postseason, Bill Belichick had gone for it 16 times on fourth down against the Colts -- and converted 12 (75 percent)."

"Historically, in a situation with 2:00 left and needing a TD to either win or tie, teams get the TD 53% of the time from that field position."

Another angle - take a safety to kill a little time and then try to pin the Colts at their end of the field. Or let Addai score on his 13 yard run, leaving Brady 1:20 to go for the win.
  • I will say this about that.. :)

Addai getting tackled on the 1, resulted in me winning this week in Fantasy Football... If he goes in for the TD, I lose...

But, getting back to the real game.... If it was such a good idea, and they have that much faith in Brady... then Brady should have just handed the ball to Dwight Freeney, and let him run it in for a touchdown... Then, when Indy kicked the ball back to them (say.. on their 30?), the Patriots would have only needed a field goal to win, and had a whole two minutes to get it.

No, wait.. that would be dumb, right? :)

• WHO DEY!!

Dang, that feels good!

No, wait.. that would be dumb, right?

Unless the Pats win, then it'd be a brilliant gutsy call that has the added bonus for Pats fan of thumbing their noses at the Colts (and Vegas, for messing with the spread).
    Bill Belichick may be a football genius (and, a snappy dresser!),

LOL... no kidding. As he was walking off the field after the game I commented that his shirt looked like something most people would do their gardening in. Not a professional look at all... should be fined about 10 grand by the NFL and be required to take some type of class in how to dress and accessorise. :sick:
    I can't believe the Cowboys got thumped so badly by the Vikings yesterday. Romo just flat out choked. Lost all poise in the pocket... running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Vikings had a good pass rush, but it wasn't that good. Doesn't seem likely you'll ever win a Super Bowl with a quarterback who folds under pressure.

Give me the Saints and the Colts in the Super Bowl. Saints 34- Colts 31
    Peyton's what, 34? I think he really wants another ring before he starts showing his age. Hard to say if he's going to be as durable as Favre.

I think NO has more depth at the other positions and they play with more emotion.

I like the Colts and was happy to see the Jets knock off the Chargers, since SD always plays the Colts tough. I hope the Cinderella run is over for the Jets, but they could (continue to) surprise us. Not to mention it's not a cakewalk for NO to get to the big game either but home field will help a lot.

Pretty competitive playoff schedule this year. I've actually watched about 3 quarters total. :)
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    I'm on the Saints bandwagon myself. I enjoyed watching Brees at Purdue and now in the NFL, the guy is truly a class act. I'd really like to see him earn a ring. Whodat! LOL
    I was pulling for the Saints, but they were very fortunate to win that game against the Vikings. Favre made one poor decision on that interception. I thought the Vikings played it too conservatively when they were in field goal range the last minute of the game. Two running plays when the defensive line was stacked? Vikings had the better offense/defense/team... but 5 turnovers are difficult to overcome.

The Jets sure looked like they were going to win midway through the second quarter. Manning makes a couple great throws to get the Colts a TD before halftime. It's all Colts in the second half. Forget my earlier prediction on the score. Based on yesterdays play, the Colts will steamroll over the Saints in the Super Bowl... 41- 17. A win-win/lose-lose game for me as I like both teams.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    Yeah, the Saints were lucky, but they've won the turn over battle all year. I think the Saints will score more than what the Jets did, but Indy should win. I say colts win 35-31.
    Did you ever see the movie, "Angels in the Outfield"? Well, that's what the Saints last 2 victories reminded me of. Looked as though they had a little help from above. They had a lot of "good fortune" with calls and opponents play. Hard to believe Manning threw that late interception.

The team owner did name the team "Saints", so if anyone should get a little extra help it should be them. But, they've got a really good team and stayed positive despite a late season string of losses. So congrats to the Saints and New Orleans.

Next year it will be the Dallas Cowboys taking home the Super Bowl trophy. :shades:
    Jerry Jones, fire yourself as G.M and president and crawl back to the shadows where the good owners stay. You are ruining my beloved Cowboys. Also, you may want to stop using so much mascara. :sick:
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    How about them Cowboys???

I'm sorry that it sounds like gloating, but right from the Tex Schramm days to now, the 'boys have been an organization that really rubs a lot of people the wrong way. :shades:

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

I'm sorry that it sounds like gloating, but right from the Tex Schramm days to now, the 'boys have been an organization that really rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Why's that... because they always won? The image of being "America's Team" and the classiest organization in football held up until Jerry Jones bought the team. Since then there's been a lot of rubbing... all the wrong way. The more Jones has become involved in daily operations, the less success the Cowboys have had. He gets more "air" time during football games and post game interviews than the players.

Bengals are sucking this year too. Losing a lot of close games. Ochostinko probably not too happy with T.O having a much better season than he is. Too many egomaniacs on one team is never a good idea.

As long as the Steelers, and their perverted quarterback, don't win the Super Bowl I'll be happy.
    Both are looking good.

Despite a few tough loses, the Cowboys are still a strong team and will more than likely make the Super Bowl this year.

The Bengals are much improved without the distraction of B.O and Ochostinko. I look for them to meet the Cowboys in the Super Bowl and lose 24-21.

The other teams: Squeelers, Fudgepackers, 69'ers.... all losers. :sick:
    edited November 2011
    nah, gonna be a NY Super Bowl and Eli will beat the Jets in the last 12 seconds of overtime. :shades: