Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTO Restoration

2»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    My motto is: "If you can't drive it, buy it REAL cheap".

• I just found my first GTO and i need to convince my family that it is worth the money...it is a 1967 hard top and i am not going to lie it needs a lot of work but do you think that it is worth $3500?
  • How cheep is real cheep?
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    Hard to tell without lots of info about the car (condition) and you (can you do the work?). What do you want to end up with? And, finally, how much are you willing to spend to fix it up?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    Depends on how screwed up it is, how complete it is, if it has the right engine, which transmission it has, how rusted it is, etc. I can tell you that the only way to put money into a very needy car is to start from scratch and do it right, and this costs big bucks.

If you had photos and more info, that would help.

• parmparm Posts: 723
    http://www.mershons.com/index.asp

Personally, being mechanically and repair-ability challenged (and that's being kind, trust me), I'd rather "bite the bullet" and buy a car that's already done. Of course, that's easy for me to say when I'm spending someone else's money. LOL! But, I can't begin to tell you the number of old timers I've met in this hobby who have all told me to get a car that's "done". But, if you have the time, talent, tools and inclination (sadly, none of which I possess), I can also see the other side of the coin and the pride/satisfaction factor of doing it yourself.

The link above is to a collector car dealer located in Springfield, Ohio who specializes in Corvettes. However, he carries other makes/models too. All of his stuff looks pretty nice and he typically has 1-2 GTO's in stock - though, at this moment, his GTO cupboard is bare.

Speaking of a '65 Tempest, that's what I learned to drive when I was a kid. It was even a convertible too. But, by 1977, it was simply a "used car" and my Dad got rid of it. Gawd, how I wish I still had that car.
  • johnlang1johnlang1 Posts: 1
    My significant other has the shop manual from a dealership for both electrical and mechanical aspects of the 1967 GTO. He is computer illiterate and I am car illiterate, so I am sending this note for him. If you are interested, please e-mail me at Alice.Pye@Prudential.com. Thank you.
2»
This discussion has been closed.