Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Maintenance and Repair

carteachcarteach Posts: 179
I'm interested in hearing peoples' experiences with repairs and any problems with your cars. Do you find this car fairly trouble free?

Comments

• I've owned my CX-9 GT FWD since February and have about 7500 miles on it. It's been in for a few minor things. I was hearing a scraping noise when backing up, which turned out to be rust on the parking brake drums. The dealer's mechanic sanded the drums and no problem since. Also had it in for a recall on a door part. Otherwise it's been very trouble free, fun to drive, and I'm averaging 19 - 20mpg in mixed driving.
  • hi - have a question regarding the Door checker recall , did you get correspondence in the mail advising you of this recall?
  • Just thought I'd respond also...
    I received a letter in the mail regarding the door checker recall...but it only affected vehicles within a certain vin # range. My dealership didn't even know about it.
    Mazda should be able to tell you.
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Posts: 55
    Yes, I did get something in the mail. Took it to the dealer over my lunch break and they got it done...
  • imamgimamg Posts: 136
    I'm the P.M. at a dealer... If you wish... you can give me your vin # and I'll check it for you...
  • I bought a 2008 Touring FWD a couple of weeks ago and I was hearing a noise coming from the engine. It sounded like a loose belt. Took it back to the dealer and they told me the power steering belt needs to be replaced. The service manager thinks the belt dried out while at port. I just don't get how that could happen to a brand new car. Anyways they had to order the part and they will fix it tomorrow. Hopefully that's the last of the problems.
  • msuvetmsuvet Posts: 54
    I've got a 2008, have had for about 3 weeks.

I noticed a pull to the left at highway speeds. Have it in today and they said there is a service bulletin on it. I had seen one on the 2007 discussed previously on the 2007 CX-9 board; evidently it's still a potential problem on the 2008.

They've gone through a bunch of steps to correct it, and they are apparently at the final thing that could need changing/adjustment. They didn't get to finish it today - hopefully it will be finished tomorrow (and fixed!).
  • I had the same issue with my 2008 Sport AWD. I brought it in and expected them to tweak the wheel alignment, but apparently the 'fix' was to turn the strut (TSB 02-003/07). Whatever they did, corrected the problem. Hope yours comes back the same way.
  • I have the same problem with my 08 AWD Touring. Guess I'll have to take it in.
    Not real happy about it, though.
    They did correct the problem on mine. It took them a day and a half though.

It is driving much better now.
  • I just had my door checkers replaced on my 2 month old 08 CX-9. The VIN didn't show up in the recall but I made the dealer do it anyway. The doors sounded like an old Ford pick-up when opened...really creaky. Once replaced, the sound is gone but I still don't like the scratchy feel when I open the doors and the lack of ease when opening or closing. Unbelievable poor design from a company that has been building cars for a long time.
  • Does anyone know if the CX-9 has the same transmission or built by the same company as the Volvo XC90 transmission?
  • kharriskharris Posts: 41
    The CX-9 transmission is built by Aisin. According to this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions) Aisin also supplies transmissions to Volvo, but I have no way of knowing if they are the same transmission.

Ken
  • Thanks. I thought I had seen that they came from the same factory. I have had to have my XC90 transmission replaced at 60k miles, and am looking to sell the car now. I really like the CX-9, but am not going to get one if it has the same/similar transmission I just replaced.
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    I believe the CX-9 transmission is an ATX transmission, which is also used in the Mazda 6, CX-7, Ford Fusion, Edge, Taurus, Taurus-X (Freestyle), and also the Volvo SUV. Most of these vehicles have been problem-free, but there is an issue that could ruin the transmission: using the wrong transmission fluid can cause the clutch pads to lock up, and kaboom! So if you go to a shop that messes up the tranny fluid, you could get yourself in trouble.

As far as I can tell, this might have happened once on the CX-9 forums, when a dealer topped off with the wrong fluid upon delivery of a new CX-9. Otherwise, I haven't read of many issues, since computers these days tell the shop what to use.
  • Thanks, NXS. The CX-9 looks pretty reliable, but we gambled on a new model line back in 2002 (on the XC90) and we lost. We love the car, but having to pay for a tranns at 60k is absurd on a $45k car. The 2003 and 2004 have had a lot of tranns problems that seem to have appeared around 50k miles. Thanks again for the info.
  • kharriskharris Posts: 41
    No, the CX-9 6 speed automatic is NOT the same one that's in the Fords(Edge, etc.).
    That's why only the CX-9 transmission requires a specific transmission fluid and has problems if it gets filled with the transmission fluid that is usually used in the other vehicles.
  • unixxusunixxus Posts: 97
    The transmission in the CX-9 is only shared with the CX-7. It is manufactured by Aisin of Japan, suppliers of transmissions to Toyota and Lexus. It is totally different from what is found in the XC90 which I believe is also supplied by Aisin. The unit found in the Ford edge, Lincoln MKX is a GM/Ford joint venture product.
  • aray1aray1 Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 GT AWD, that pulls to the left at highway speeds. Thanks to the info on this forum, I was able to mention the TSB to the dealer when I brought it in. I have taken back to them twice to fix the alignment, but it still pulls to the left. Now the service manager is telling I need to hold on to the wheel and if I don't feel a tug, then the alignment is correct.
    This sounds like BS, any of you gotten this response?
    I think the dealership is out of ideas on what to do. As far as I am concerned, if I let go of the wheel on a flat, straight road, the vehicle should not pull in any direction.
    Sometimes I think mine still pulls, too. But not always, it's been hard to replicate.
    I haven't been convinced enough yet to bring it back in.

If yours does reliably still pull (I think it should track by itself, too) I would try to take it up the management ladder with Mazda.

When I used to read the subaru threads, they would mention some sort of regional customer service type to help with such things. Maybe Mazda has a similar set-up?
  • As I may have posted earlier, I had the same issue (left pull) with my 2008. I brought it in to the dealer for an alignment, and it is better now. Not perfect, but better than it was.
    The service manager tried to tell me about road crowns and potholes, blah, blah....
    Whatever. Apparently, the alignment was out of whack from the factory.
    The car does track straighter on the highway now, so I'm satisfied with the repair.
    Still notice it a bit sometimes, but way better.
    This seems to be an issue that Mazda needs to look at.
  • I have an 08 GT, and have noticed that the rear courtesy lights do not activate when the liftgate is opened. I checked the switch which is in the proper position and the lights do come on when any other door is opened. Is there something I am overlooking?
  • I had the same issue with my '08 CX9. I brought it in, thinking the alignment was out of adjustment, but instead, the Tech Bulletin explains for the dealership to turn the Strut 180 degrees. An ODD fix if you ask me, but it did resolve the problem.

It is annoying, to say the least, to have to fight the car to keep it straight. I would go to another dealership if the one you went to doesn't give you the result you expect. But that's one issue with Mazda - there aren't as many dealerships around as other manufacturers, so it could be a hassle if your local dealer "gives-up" on resolving this issue for you.
    Good luck!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I have a similar problem but mine is intermittent.

When it does work, it comes on only when the liftgate is open. One of these days I'll take it in and see what they say.
  • hi,

i have the same problem. what is TSB, how it helped you and how it can help me.
  • aray1aray1 Posts: 6
    It stands for Technical service bulletin. It a guide to the service people that a problem exists and here is a solution to the problem.
    Unfortunately, my dealer couldn't totally resolve the issue. Has anyone called Mazda on this issue?
  • hi Aray1,

thanks, i brought it to dealer, but it is not fixes properly.
    does any one has any suggestion?
  • imamgimamg Posts: 136
    Take it back to the dealer...have the Service Manager drive with you so can show him/her the direct issue you're having... If they chose not to believe (their own lying) eyes... then if possible get a second oppinion at another dealer... It's a well documented issue with our cars... I'm guessing "some" dealer have not had to deal with it... and therefore don't understand what's expected to to be done...
  • My gut tells me it's the service department at the dealer trying to milk me for more money. My last car was a Mini Cooper (big change obviously) that needed oil changed every 15K miles or so. The dealer I bought from is both a Mazda and Chrysler dealer, and on American cars, it doesn't surprise me to have them want it changed after 3K miles. But for a Japanese or German car, my understading is that the oil resevoir is much larger, leading to longer times between oil changes - plus different engineering. Dealership bullied me into using full synthetic - actually I'm okay with that and would have anyway - if I wasn't going to come in every 3K miles. But it feels like a scam.

One of the reasons I bought the car was because it would go 7K between changes - the hassle of service more frequenly is more than I'll put up with. Anyone have any feedback on this?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Read the owner's manual and understand the intervals. The manual was written to tell you how to operate the vehicle properly. The dealer's intervals were written to tell them how to operate their bottom line properly.