Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• As you might imagine - I'm not happy with my dealer for playing games like that. Anyone have a way to make a complaint to Mazda - they should know that their dealer is telling every customer that they should service all their Mazdas at 3K miles. Not great for customer satisfaction.
  • imamgimamg Posts: 136
    If you gauged most dealers of most models.. you'll most likely find that they recommend 3 thousand mile intervals... I think as much to keep up with the "jiffy" lube types of the world that do the same... Dealers "suggest" ... owners manuals prescribe... I don't think complaining to the corp about suggestions will provide anything... Though... I'm never going to be one to deter anyone from their own views... Just think of it logically... one earlier said... or reffered to the "bottom" line... and in this life/country/society... indeed that has much to do with it... also consider this angle... if you bring your car in every 3k much more than the oil change should be going on...ie: monitoring your car for other and potential issues... that's why I do it... and yes I know it doesn't have to be changed every 3k ( caviat... I'm the p.m. for a dealer)... but for that very reason I do for this car and other models I own.
  • In the past 20 years, I've owned several toyotas, several VWs, a Subaru, a Nissan, and a Mini Cooper. I have never had a single dealer push me to alter my service interval from what was recommended by the manufacturer until it happened in this Mazda dealership. And I have complained to Mazda corporate. The service department was implying that I couldn't trust Mazda's recommended service intervals. Not only were they implying this, they implied that if I didn't follow their advice that something bad would happen to my car. They're undermining the trust in the brand - and should be brought to task on it. My profession is product management, and I'd never let a subsidiary get away with this on one of my brands - no way in hell.

On top of that, the first oil change at my dealership was supposed to be free. When the guy bullied me into using full synthetic (I would have anyway, but he didn't know this) he told me that I would only be charged the difference between what I would have paid for the standard oil change and full synthetic. As it turned out they charged me a LOT more than just the difference - I ended up paying way more than the fee for the standard oil change. And they suggested that the guy at the service desk made a 'simple mistake' when he told me that. But that they wouldn't stand by what he said, and that they wouldn't/couldn't explain to me the rationale for this policy. As you might imagine, they've lost my business forever.
  • What's the name of this dealer and where is it located?
  • imamgimamg Posts: 136
    Can't say much to that other that WOW... that's horrible... we "Dealers" get a horrible name for few like that one... I hope they're pressed into changing their ways... If they're of any significant size though... probably not... My fingers are crossed for it to be handled correctly...
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    So, allow me to sum up the 36 posts about CX-9 problems
    - pulling left (TSB - turn strut 180 degree)
    - door (recall)
    - some concern about tranny by Aisin
    - rear hatch light (on or off)

The CX-9 sounds very reliable to me. I love mine so far.
    I do wish Mazda use a taller 1st gear. It is too short to be useful other than
    towing a heavy load. The second gear is as tall (or short) as the 1st gear of any Honda tranny.
  • About the transmission ratios: sure, but the Honda's(with one or two exceptions) have only a 5 speed transmission, so they have to space out the ratios over 5 speeds rather than having the luxury of 6 to work with like the Mazda. I don't know for certain but I would bet that the 6 speed that Honda does have also has the same kind of 1st gear ratio.

Ken
    There is no available 6-speed auto tranny in Honda/Acura lineup yet. Only 5-speed. That is one area where people criticize Acura lineup. (there are 6-speed manual trannys in Hondas)

Your point was exactly like mine. I meant to point out the fact that the 6-speed tranny in CX-9 (Aisin made) is no different than a 5-speed tranny of Honda since the 1st gear runs out of steam very quickly. Good for heavy load launch only.
  • sedmundsedmund Posts: 93
    I have a 2007 bought in June 07 and the nearest Mazda dealership is quite far. Would like to do an oil change in a nearby Jiffy lube or a similar place but feeling a little guilty doing this for such a new vehicle. Do you guys with a new vehicle make it a point to go to the dealership for oil changes or elsewhere?
    You are not required to go to dealers for service.
    As long as you keep the receipts of services performed, Mazda can't find trouble with you on warranty. Any ASE certified mechanics can perform the services for you.

That said, I don't trust Jiffy Lube on my new vehicles.
    Ask yourself, what kind of oil they use, what filter they use? Do they just charge you the labor cost if you brought the oil and filter yourself?
  • go8go8 Posts: 58
    I preface this by saying all I know about cars is I put gas in it and it goes. That said, I bring the car to the dealership because it's close to me. If the dealership was far, I personally would have no problem having Jiffy Lube do the oil change.
  • bluerublueru Posts: 5
    My wife and I just bought an '08 CX-9 Sport on Monday of this week. Already we have noticed 2 things: 1) the dome light does not work when a door is opened but does if you turn it to the "on" position, and 2) On 2 separate occasions it has taken several seconds (2 - 4) for the engine to turn over and catch. Has anyone else experienced similar situations? Any suggestions? Should we be concerned? We have never paid this much for a vehicle and then to have any type of problem, as minor as they may be, happen. Any feedback is appreciated.
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Posts: 55
    Check to make sure you have the overhead switch in the "Door" position, right in the center position on the overhead switch. The markings are a little confusing because it appears that there's only an on and off position. If you have it in the middle position and it still doesn't come on when you open the doors, take it to the dealer and have them replace the switch if necessary. My engine will sometimes take almost few seconds to start, but I haven't noticed it to be much longer than that. If you take it back for the light switch, also ask the dealer to check out the long cranking issue as well. If they have a good service department like the one I go to, they should be happy to check these out for you. You've paid for these things to work correctly, and a good dealer will want to make sure they do...
  • bluerublueru Posts: 5
    My wife and I just got done running errands in our CX-9 and NOW the little light in the shape of the vehicle with the "key" sign inside of it will not stop flashing! It has never done this before and only happens when I shut off the ignition and take the key out. Any more concerns?
  • I am in the process of researching cars for a new purchase in June. I require room for two front facing car seats in the back seat. I am looking at the CX9 GT and the Nissan Murano. Is it true that you cannot have a moonroof if you have the DVD package in the CX9? How spacious is the area for a third row seat once folded down? I need room for my double stroller, and other items. The main reason that I am pulling towards a CX9 is the third row cargo area which is lacking in the Nissan Murano; however, I recently saw a report that said the Nissan Murano has the best front and side crash test results. What do you guys think?
    Starting from March, 2008 you should be able to get a CX-9 that has both DVD and moonroof. Ask for your dealer for details.
    CX-9 is much more spacious than the Murano - no comparison.
    The 3rd of CX-9 is actually useful even for adults on short trip, unlike Highlander and Pilots.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 211
    I've had a local dealership do the same thing. When I questioned them on it, they said that this entire area, Colorado Springs, is a "severe service" area where maintenance needs to be done more often. What a crock. They also pushed other services (the "power flush") not mentioned in the owner's manual. The technicians there seem like decent folk, but the management policy pushes the service managers to encourage such procedures. As a result, I don't go to that dealership any more. I want a dealership which has my best interest as an owner at heart, not their profit margin. I am happy to pay the going price for needed services (use synthetic oil also) but lose all trust when they try to gouge me. I'll drive further to get good service.
  • kharriskharris Posts: 41
    Most dealerships(not just Mazda) are doing this, and not just in your area. We have the same thing in New York, They print up their own "recommended service" and claim that they (and they admit not the factory) feel that it's best for cars in their locality. I spent some time talking to one of the service maagers who basically wound up saying "what can I tell you?--it certainly can't hurt your car and it brings in extra money for us". I said I would only follow the factory recommendations, and he said fine--no problem--happy to have whatever business you want to give us. Interestingly, one of my children who lives in California brought in her then new VW Passat for her first oil change at 3500 miles on my advice and her dealer refused to do it, saying that they only follow the factory recommended service intervals which was I believe 7500 mi for the first oil change, supposedly needed for "proper break in".

Ken
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Posts: 55
    Nope, that's normal. The little indicator that looks like a car with a key inside flashes red when the ignition is turned from the on position to acc or "off". It's called the "Security Indicator Light" in the owner's manual. (look in section 5 if it's like my 2007) It kinda freaked me out the first time I saw it flashing while sitting in my car with the ignition off. Had the car over a year now and it is still doing fine... :)
  • manojtvmanojtv Posts: 1
    The rear dome light in door mode will work only if you have set the 1st row dome light switch set to door mode.
  • euaeua Posts: 9
    I own 08 Sport AWD.
    Please need help or advice on the following matter:
    After unlocking door either form remote or from inside the car keeps unlocking it several times by itself. So I can hear multiple clicking of the lock and can see small movement of the the lock knobs.
    If I insert the ignition key after that glitch described above the front windows open themselves.
    It's not 100% repeatable and it happens like ones after 10-20 times of unlocking the door. so I do not know do I need go to the dealer right now or wait until my first oil change.
    The biggest concern is that - will my cx-9 open the front windows by itself in the middle of a rainy night? this is scary
  • epicardepicard Posts: 15
    It sounds like the button on your key is getting stuck... Very odd.
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    Key fob might be wacking out on you. If you can, try to snap it open and remove the battery (or simply leave it somewhere out of range of the CX-9) and use your other key fob for a while and see if you get the same issue.
    Thank you for the responses
    Well I showed it today to a mazda technician. In the beginning He thought it was a problem with the "transmitter"-key as well . But seems like it's internal problem with the lock system. After small shake of the car like door was slammed or the car just hits a bump it happens time to time. The technician was surprised seeing it. It might be some wiring problem so we'll see. Tomorrow I'm going to leave it at Mazda service center for the repair and It's only 750 miles on it which makes me upset :( ..
    Update
    My cx-9 already 2nd day in repair shop of Mazda Dealership. They dissembled all front doors and checked the wires then they replaced the door lock system block of the driver side. Still nothing - can not find and fix the problem.A tech manager said that they're going replace computer block and assured me that it will fix the problem. Well I'm not so sure about that.
    I also believe it is the remote (it sounds like you don't have the SmartEntry system) that got stuck from time to time (specifically the Unlock button). You know that when you hold down the unlock button on your remote, the window will roll down. That seems consistent with your description. Have you tried to use the other remote? If both had the same problem, then it is not the remote.
    If there is no DTC (error code) showing on M-MDS (Mazda's diagnostic computer), all the technician does is swapping parts. They are not any smarter than we are.
    Well I'm back on the road. Thank you everybody.
    Yeah just got back form Mazda Dealership driving my cx-9. Well it was a Body Control Module (BCM) which was causing the problem. Apparently BCM had a glitch when it was sending repeated commands to unlock a door after which car opens windows as a next programmed operation to that sequence. Hopefully it's what was causing the problem and my car is not a lemon :lemon: because I love it
    Ignore my last post. :mad: :mad: The problem is still there they did not fix anything by replacing some parts. About remote. Yes I've tested both remote keys - same thing and same problem. Shoot It smells like lemon
    Record your repair history on this issue.
    After three attempts, you can ask for a new CX-9 under lemon law.
    Good luck.
    Update: Seems like it was fixed. A team lead technician said How stupid he feels. Well probably they did not touch the door lock wires at all means did not disassemble the door. After replacing block by block and not finding any problem they found internal door wires shorten. Duh!