Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Not trouble free at all. For the first 11 months not one issue. Now I seem to be part of the electrical problem mystery group...
  • Does anyone know how to manually turn on AWD in a CX9 (with AWD of course!). I have an issue with the CX9 rolling backwards on a steep uphill gradient when I take my foot off the brake (in San Francisco), and was thinking that this may solve the problem.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    I know SF.
    You need better tires, not AWD.
    The OE tires are lousy.
  • I don't think the problem is either AWD or your tires, it's compression. In automatic mode, the compression on the engine is pretty soft - and you can roll backwards quite a ways. I complained about this to my dealer's service people, and they couldn't offer any alternative other than to switch into the 'manual' mode, where the compression on the engine is quite a bit better.
  • Thanks for the info, all! Overall, we are thrilled with our CX9. Just put 200 miles on it today driving back and forth to/from San Jose and Santa Rosa.
  • euaeua Posts: 9
    After I bought my cx-9 I had read couple complains from different people that there is significant vibration after applying the brakes at the speed 40- 50 mph. Well at 11K miles it happened to my cx-9. I searched online and saw many people have this problem. The reason is in the weak rotors that have to be resurfaced (cut) to remove the issue.
    Frankly speaking I have very bad experience with my dealership. It's all the time hostile - when I need a help they blame me that is my fault and then accept the problem. Can I install aftermarket rotors at different repair shop (not Mazda) and keep the warranty on brakes?
    I think "warped rotor" is a wrong concept.
    The vibration of pad on rotor is caused by uneven surface of the rotor. However, the unevenness was not because the rotor was "warped". It is because brake dust accumulate on the rotors. It started small (maybe from rust), and accumulated over time. i.e. the reason rotor "warps" is because it is "hard", not because it is "soft". German vehicle (BMW, for example) uses soft steel in rotors. The rotors wear with pads together. They have to be replaced together ($$$ to you). The soft-steel rotor does not "warped" because they are "soft".

Rotor "warping" comes with hard-steel rotors (so it lasts several pads, not just one). It happened to all other vehicles I have owned (other than the bimmer).
    So far, my CX9 is fine for 20K miles. Once in a while, a hard braking (safely done) can alleviate accumulation of brake dust on rotors.

Your brake (inc. pads/rotors) is only covered by 1yr/12K miles from factory.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 780
    During the recent cold spell, some type of rodent set up camp under the engine cover in my 2009 CX-9. In addition to using the insulation from the fire wall as its nesting material, it decided to munch on the wiring harness that goes to the fuel injectors and spark plugs. I can't find a part number and none of the online catalogs I've seen have a good illustration. Does anybody know of a good website that might have more information on the wiring harness I'm looking for?

By the way, the dealer has told me that the repairs won't be covered under warranty...
  • Unfortunately repairs will definately NOT be covered under warranty because it was not a cause of factory defects. I do not have the Mazda part number nor an illustration, but I do work for am auto group (dealership). What you are going to need is the engine wire harness that basically connects to all injectors, sensors, switches, etc. found mounted on the actual engine. I looked up an 2007 Ford Edge which will closely almost be the same to the 2007 CX-9 with the 3.5L Duratec it came with. The retail price for that harness is $450.00 so I would assume to expect to pay ~ that same amount. Spark plug/coil connectors will also be included in this harness. Hope this helps a little.
  • We have had our CX-9 (GT, AWD, Vermont) for 1 year now, ~6500 miles, and have had no problems whatsoever. We love it just as much as the day we bought it. The remote start and heated seats are a real luxury during the Vermont winters.

I was chasing a young woodchuck out of the garden this summer and it ran under our CX-9 and disappeared into the engine area. I coaxed it out without any issues to the car (of the woodchuck).
  • ewsncewsnc Posts: 14
    call your insurance company to see if it's covered under comprehensive. Years ago a squirrel got in the engine compartment of my 1-year old Accord and did quite a damage to the wires. The insurance picked up most of the repair cost.
    GOOD NEWS! The insurance IS going to cover the damage. Not only that but I kept my ZERO deductible on comprehensive coverage so it should cost me nothing. The car is at the dealer now and I should have the estimate tomorrow...
  • dmj155dmj155 Posts: 2
    I'm expecting that TSB 02-003/07 may apply to our CX9. In less thatn 25k miles the front tires are shot. Left front worst of all. I'm interested to learn what others have experienced regarding tire wear. We are in southern california so pot holes and other rough road conditions basically don't exist... meanwhile my other car has about the same number of miles and almost no tire wear at all.

Thanks.
  • buyer101buyer101 Posts: 80
    Just returned from a Niagara trip and it was a pain in the bu%% to remove all the dead bugs from the front of the car as well as from the side mirrors. Besides I was always worried about paint scratching.

I'm contemplating getting the bug mask but wanted to hear from current owners.
    Those of you who have purchased the bug mask and/or the deflector can you please share your experiences with it ? Does it keep out all the bugs ? Is it easy to install and uninstall. Does the area under the mask get dirty ?

thanks
    I'm in Florida where the bugs get really bad. I keep the front end and mirror housings waxed and spray a little Pam on the nose prior to longer trips. A little Simple Green and a bug removal spunge are all it takes to get those monsters off.
  • buyer101buyer101 Posts: 80
    Thanks for the suggestions vinnyny
  • kgpenakgpena Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 CX-9 and just replaced the brake rotors for the 3rd time....Rosenthal said they would cover it even though it has been a year since they replaced the second set.

Has anyone else had the same problem? With only 37,000 miles on the car I'm considering not purchasing it at the end of the lease! :(
  • euaeua Posts: 9
    This is common well-known problem for cx-9. The original rotors are too weak for a such heavy vehicle. The fix is trivial - install better rotors like slotted rotors.
    For instance: http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/75A4921A0A0.aspx

All cars have flaws and the rotor issue is not a big deal.

Overall cx-9 is very nice and reliable automobile.
  • kgpenakgpena Posts: 3
    I really love the car. We traded in an Isuzu Trooper for it. This is actually the 4th set of rotors.....the real frustration is having the service guy say it really was out of warranty when he knows I'm there for my 4th set of rotors!

Thanks for the advice!
    Mine has 30K on it. Still on my OE set of rotors.