Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee Lights

Comments

• You need a pigtail... I had the same problem and just got it fixed...

I am glad i was able to help you!!!

thanks
    Meghan
  • I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo. The headlights work but only on dem. I took it to the shop and they cant find the problem. When i am driving at night and try to turn on the bright lights they wont come on. I have tried everything that i can think of.

Thank you :cry:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Did the folks at the shop check the switches?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Yep they did everything they could think of.
    Did that include the headlight switch assembly in the steering column?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Yes they checked that too I have no idea what it could be!!! And I live out in the middle of nowhere so I need my bright lights....
    Hmm. I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway. Did they swap out the old bulbs and replace them with new ones? I'm running out of ideas too.

Perhaps someone else has another thought. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,935
    Maybe it's the clockspring? Did the steering column/wheel ever get wet? But you'd think the dealer would have checked this as part of checking the headlight switch.

Try asking in Got a Quick, Technical Question? and in Edmunds Answers.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• As far as i know it has never been wet. I did not take it tothe dealer I dont have the money to spend taking it there. The guy i took it to has a shop where i live and if he cant find the problem he wont charge you. Thats why i like him. He checked the stering column and the wires. I just dont know what it could be...
  • Hi there. Can you please help me out. Ihave the same problem and have tried everything and still have no clue as the solution. Could you PLEASE e-mail me and try to help me out. letitsnownow@hotmail.com Thank you very much.
  • it's happened a few times. i'm thinking its the headlight relays and i hope it isn't cause they are costly. though i did just change out all the lights
    while driving on the road at night the headlights will just shut off. i pull on my high beams and those always work, and when i let go of the switch they shut off again. i timed it, and it takes at least 5 minutes of me pulling on the switch until the low beams decide to work again, and when they do, it last for about 3 min.
    please i need some feedback. also, i like to do my own mechanic work, but before i do i always do my homework.
  • oh yeah, and i recently just got a new battery, so that's already been done.
  • Check your wiring for corrsion on your head lamp cuircit. I have not seen a 92 jeep head light switch but if it is like any other mopar switch they have a internal cuicit breaker and that is what is breaking the power to the headlights is the switch ok? does it smell of burnt plastic? There is always a reason they pop and it is mostly due to shorts in the wiring. But sometimes it is just a bad headlight switch. The reason you can still use your flash to pass lights is because it bypasses the head light switch when you pull back on the lever.
  • have you ever fixed the headlights on all the time issue? I am having the same trouble,
  • I AM EXHAUSTED AT TRYing to find out why my right brake light isn't working. Replaced the bulbs, then replaced the entire light, fuse is fine. WHAT CAN IT BE - JUST BOUGHT THE JEEP!
    Then it is either the switch that controls the brake light or faulty wiring somewhere in your system.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • will check that next. thanks
  • Ended up being the tail light wire harness, it had been chopped up when the previous owner installed an after market tow package.
  • well, the wire harness for the tow package fixed it but now the left lamp is totally out. what the heck is going on with this jeep? anyone else experience this?
  • My passenger brake light kept goin out,i would just hit on it and it would start back workin,did this for almost a year,now all the brake lights are not workin,fuses and bulbs are all good,i bought a brake light switch and we can't get it out to replace the new one,is there a easier way or do we just snatch it out? PLEASE HELP!
  • arpeck88arpeck88 Posts: 1
    I just found this problem last night on my 2002 JGC and my boyfriend found this to fix it. :shades:

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/jeep-grand-cherokee/T63DRCOTUFKMHQ207

First, I want to say thank you for the info, you saved me money and aggravation. Second it took me a little while to figure out what contact I was looking for. So I would like to provide a little more detail to make it easier for others in the future.
    This is the corrective method for your brake lights not working when your headlights are on(2000 Jeep Cherokee Laredo).
    1) The cause of the problem is heat from the bulb.
    2) Remove the light assembly as if you were going to change a bulb.
    3) Turn the socket and remove it from the taillight assembly and set it aside(check to be sure your bulb is not burnt out).
    4) Look at the opening, you will see 3 flat chrome colored contacts on the assembly.
    5) Notice the one by it self at the top of the opening, that is the “ground”.
    6) If you look closely you will notice the plastic around the ground contact has shrunk a little bit, this caused the contact to pull away from the socket, causing the problem.
    7) With a small flat head screwdriver, VERY GENTLY pry up the contact so it stays slightly upward by itself.
    8) Re-insert the bulb assembly back into the housing and press your brake petal with your lights on.
    9) You should be in good to go!
    10) Tools: Phillips head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver.
    11) Time : 5 minutes per light
  • ghoneycuttghoneycutt Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I've noticed my headlights have very poor performance at night. The outer two bulbs of the lamps will work, the inner two bulbs will not activate on high or low beams. I've tried every combination of automatic or manual settings. Checked fuses, wiggled lights etcetc.

I'm assuming both lights are supposed to work and the inner bulbs are not just for aesthetics. I consider this a major safety issue at night due to the fact I can't see but 50 feet ahead of me. Has anyone had this issue? Fixes?
  • I just wanted to take the time to thank you for the tip. My wife's 2004 Grand Cherokee had this exact same problem starting with one tail light and then both not working. We have been avoiding driving at night and in the rain for too long. I followed the steps above and was able to fix both brake lights! I suggest anyone with similar issues try this before being talked into replacing wiring harnesses and what not! Thanks again!
  • I had the same problem with only the passenger side brake light. So while swapping out bulbs and sockets and light assemblies from side to side, both brake lights stopped working while the headlights were on. However the third brake light was always on. You have the FIX!!! I lightly pryed up on the single chrome terminals on both the driver & passenger assemblies, and we have brake lights!! Thanks for your help. :)
  • vettelenvettelen Posts: 1
    why does my tail lights keep going out i have replaced bulbs and whole light but keep going out 2001 jeep grand cherokee le
  • des5des5 Posts: 88
    This problem is well understood. The plastic frame shrinks with heat from the bulb, and the metal contact pulls away from the bulb connection. Pull out the bulb, pry up on the flat semicircular metal plates that contact the bulb, and shim them up with a strip of aluminum foil folded 3-4 times over. Reinsert bulb.
  • That is awesome just got my jeep back from shop for some other things and they told me to replace the assembly. But with this info I was able to save some money and piece of mind when driving at night. Brake lights are fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • dmortazdmortaz Posts: 26
    Thanks for these recommendations! Bottom line is the awful design and the poor engineering that has gone into the design of these sockets and the contact mechanism. Even the way the design of the metal shavings inside the Light's Housing are poorly designed !

I constantly see Jeeps on the road with at least one of BOTH (break or lights) out! We keep getting warning tickets from the local cops and we show them the 1/2 dozen sockets in the back that we have tried with no success.

Do you have a photo of how you added the aluminum foil!?

Thanks again for sharing.