Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Seats

Comments

• To clean the seats get a bucket and fill it about half way and get some upholstery cleaner. Spray a good amount into the bucket. Mix well and wipe down the seats completly. Let this dry and the stains will be gone. I tried spraying the cleaner on the seats and that method left stains behind. I found this on a web site some where. Still mad as hell with Ford!!!!!!!
  • Reply to Joe 19403:
    Sure, I'll try that but I am not entertaining any "faith" that it won't make them even worse. Besides, just two weeks ago I had a big bowl of water, upholstry cleaner, Shout and whatever else I could think of and tried scrubbing the seats. What I have are gray, nasty looking dirty seats. The seats just cannot tolerate water or chemicals.
    How old is your vehicle and how many times before have you attempted to clean them?
  • Hi as well as you I have an escape and have posted here before, we have 2 escapes in the family, we bought them one day of difference so we couldnt know of the poor quality of ford on them, I have called the dealer went up there several times, call ford, for what to only get an associate tell me they didnt had any complaints and hang the phone on me, my mom as well try calling since she is the other owner of an escpae and receive the same answer. So last night we decided to get rid of them, and of course buy from another maker we also persuaded my brother of not buying a ford truck, since he was thinking of getting an escape because he is having another baby and his car is small for their babys, hoepfully ford will realize that treating customers as they are doing it will cost them business, for sure i know i wont ever get a ford again.
  • To Dianita:
    So were you able to get rid of the Escape's? Trade them in somewhere?
  • I printed out this entire forum and took it to my Ford dealer today. There was someone from the dealership sitting there - don't know if he was sales or service- but he said, "yeah he had a customer he had been working with for a year and a half on the same problem." So I guess they know about it. He said they are communicating with Ford and I asked them to make a note in my file. Now I will contact Ford and if I don't like the answer I will start causing trouble. Let's keep after them! :sick:
  • Hello All,

I just purchased the 2010 Ford Escape XLT with fabric seats 3 days ago. I had a 2002 Ford Explorer w/leather seats and loved it. So I didn't even question purchasing an Escape. I thought it was just a smaller version of the Explorer which I was very happy with. However, I did hesitate about buying a car with fabric seats but thought since the kids were grown, I wouldn't have a problem cleaning them once in awhile. Then I started researching reviews on the Escape and came upon this forum. Now I'm wishing I had read it before I made the purchase!

I brought the car back to the dealership after a slight chocolate stain and asked them what to use to clean it. A nice lady in the sales dept. offered to clean it for me. The stain came out, but then there was a dark mark left behind!

The next day I called the Salesman who sold me the car and told him about the stain. He suggested I bring it in and have someone in the Service Dept. clean it. So I brought the car in that afternoon.

I told them all about this forum, the complaints, how everyone HATES the fabric and how even water stains them. Everyone there sighed and said they knew all about the problems and felt awful.

After discussing the issue for awhile, a guy from the garage took my car and cleaned it. The dark discoloration was gone and it looked new and clean again. I asked what he used and how he cleaned it.

The Ford guy handed me a can of Sprayway Glass Cleaner! I was shocked to say the least that this would be used on fabric. But after reading the cloth is made out of waste from plastics, etc. I can understand now why the product worked. HOWEVER, he said you have to clean the ENTIRE seat to have continuity of color or else the spot where you cleaned would be darker than the rest and still look dirty.

Later that day I went to Walmart and purchased stretchy seat covers and will keep them on when out & about to protect the seats. However, after shelling out money for a brand NEW car, this shouldn't be !!!

I have printed out alot of the comments made here and may go back to the dealership to show them. Then I plan on getting an estimate to have all seats re-uphostered in leather and try and get the Dealership to pay for it. This is the 4th car I've purchased through them in the last 7 years and I am hoping that they'll eat the cost to keep me as a happy customer.

For those who can't afford to reupholster, at least you now know that Sprayway Glass Cleaner works and its necessary to clean the ENTIRE seat. Keep in mind that the seat you cleaned, won't look discolored or different from the rest of the seats. You or anyone else won't be able to tell that it was cleaned.

Maybe if enough of us go public, Ford will do a recall on the seats and replace with other fabric.

baylady

P.S. Other than the seat fabric/staining I LOVE my new Escape. I have a 6 cyliner, 3.0 liter engine and love the way it handles and drives. Like the looks of it too. Great little SUV!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    other than the smaller size of the escape compared to your explorer, what do you find different in a better way?
  • I have my 3rd escape a 2008 that has horribly stained seats from my daughter's water bottles. I read in one of the Ford magazines that they send you that they used recyclable material for the seat covers. Big mistake...I am embarassed to let anyone in my car. I sent an email to Ford customer service and never got a reply back. Is there any way we can get them to respond to this since it is not a safety issue????
  • My drivers seat has the same creasing on the side near the door in addition to the stains on all of the seats from plain water. I read somewhere that they used recyclable material for the seat covers. I emailed customer service and they ignored my email which really pissed me off. This is our 5th Ford vehicle.
  • marypalmarypal Posts: 10
    Yes, I too, have been duped by the cute little Ford Escape. I have the 08 and I also have the interior issues that everyone else is complaining about. I dropped a small piece of chocolate on the drivers seat and tried to clean it-what a mess. The chocolate came out, but the water stain looks terrible, Now that everyone is so sick with the flu, me and my husband are using the hand sanitizer like crazy, and he was driving and spilled some on the seat, now it looks even worse. I got out the manual and they said to get the Motorcraft cleaner for the upholstery, but that didn't even help, the seats look awful in that SUV, it is very embarrasing for anyone to see my interior, I feel like a total slob, but I just can't get them clean!! I really hope that they are happy with that recycled "green" crap that they are making our seats out of?? And by the way, on a long trip those seats are a killer, my husband has a little 03 VW Jetta that is so much more comfortable than the Ford, if it wasn't for taking our animals on trips with us, we would be taking the Jetta instead!!! Thanks FORD for the $24,000 piece of crap!!!
  • My escape is a 2008 and received it in April 2007. I cleaned them many times (6) by just spraying the seats with a cleaner and still looked stain. Then I tried the water in the bucket with cleaner on a Hot summer day and soaked the entire seat and they looked like new for a while. It poured here last week and they look like sxxx again. This is my third ford and just may be the last one too..........

Thanks ford you suck!!!!!!!!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Here's another product you can try (Oxy Carpet) that was recommended over on the Jeep boards:

jeepboy08, "Jeep Liberty Interior and Upholstery" #58, 26 Jul 2008 7:24 am
  • i was at the dealership the other day for an oil change. this dealership is quite good--the service manager actually admitted to a defect in the Escape last year (leaking tranny fluid). so i figured they'd be upfront about the upholstery flaw. nope. guy acted perplexed when i mentioned it to him. the only thing he would come up with is ford spray on product to clean it. i know from these boards that it won't work. i plan to keep this car for years so am not worried about the effect of any staining on the trade in. i also don't have small kids or others eating or drinking in the car. the problem is relatively minor for me. still, it's frustrating that the stains won't clean up and that using any cleaning liquid leaves even more of a stain.
  • Hey there I have an 09 escape the same problems have occurred after dealing with the dealership for over 6 months I called Ford.
    Finally 4 months later and lots of calls I got a call today from the service manager at our dealership where I bought my escape.
    Ford has finally said that the problem is something they are taking blame for.
    The fire retardent used on the fabric is causing the staining.
    I am happy to say that tomorrow I have an appt at the dealer to have new material ordered for new seat covers and they are going to give me a loaner car once the new materials come in since the car will be tied up for 3 to 4 business days.
    the posting was released by ford On 11/6/09 .Good Luck : :
  • It's good to know that some of the Ford Dealerships out there possess integrity sufficient to solve major issues for their customers. Unfortunately that is not the case here in the Lewisville area. Even writing a letter to the Service Manager at the local dealership that has always serviced our Ford vehicles, I have not received a response by phone or letter. The same goes with the head kahuna at Ford who received a certified letter. Nothing.
    So good for you "dianita", at least it seems Ford will come through for you.
  • Hey everyone like me that has the crappy Ford Escape Interior,
    I bought the foam cleaner by Turtle Wax that has Oxy Clean in it, got it at Walmart. I loaded the seats up with the foam and scrubbed them with the brush that is on the can. After I had them good a clean with the foam, I took a clean wet rag and hot water in a bucket and wiped them down really good and got them really wet. Don't plan on driving for a while, unless you want wet pants. The next day put the car out in the sun so the seats would dry. Once they were dry I sprayed the living sh%t out of them with scotchgard and let that dry too. That was about 2 weeks ago, and they really look pretty good. The smell from the scotchgard was pretty strong, for about 2 days I drove around with the heat on high and the windows down a little, but now it just has a nice clean smell, and the seats look new. Hopefully they will stay looking this way. I was scared to wet them like that, but I thought, "Hey, they can't look much worse than they already do"
  • Dear Pearl,
    Did they say what the purpose of making the seats fire retardant was?? I swear with everything that they are making flame and fire retardant, (mattresses, furniture, carpet, pajamas and now car seats), that is probably why everyone in this country is dying of cancer!! Why can't they just leave well enough alone??

If someone is dumb enough to smoke in their car, then they deserve to have burn holes in the seats, or is that just in case the whole car is on fire, the seats won't burn, but we will?? How stupid....

I am glad that they are at least going to help you with your interior, I guess you got a good dealer.
  • my dealership is good about some things--for instance, acknowledging that there was a mechanical defect re the tranny seal. i'm thinking that if i make a big deal about the seats, maybe i can get them to do something. i'm going to copy your posting, see if i can get the service manager to look into this more deeply. good for you, getting results!
  • Just called my dealership - a memo went out on Nov 6 - they're replacing our stained, water-marked seat covers!
  • Your mouth to God's ears, eamcconnell. Have you actually seen this memo?