Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Seats

Comments

• buddhamanbuddhaman Posts: 7
    The lower inside door panels are rusting. We have had the car for almost 5 years. Do you think I should contact Ford, the dealership or fix it my self as, I I'm not sure the warranty covers rust, but only corrosion
  • it's caused by the extremely inferior quality of the seat covers. even tho the warranty is up, look on this thread or online to find out the service alert number for this problem. if you're lucky enough to have a relationship w/a decent dealership, they may be able to replace the seat covers @a minimal cost. if no luck, read up on this thread about what cleaning methods work. i've used woolite pet odor cleaner with some success (and i got my front seat covers replaced on my 2008 while still under warranty, altho they still stain--ford will not use anything but that awful recycled material). unlike a lot of other posters here, i don't care very much about the staining so if a cleaning method doesn't work, i'm not too concerned.
    I don't mind the staining except for the astetics and a concern about the affect it will have on resale value. Thanks for the info.
  • babbs3babbs3 Posts: 50
    Well I for one do care. If I caused a stain than shame on me, but Ford should stand behind complete replacement of these horrible seats. I wonder what the dealer will say when you try to trade it in? Even the poor person who tries to buy it from you will think Huh. We spend enough on cars and having seats that look like they come from a farm just isn't acceptable. Can't wait for the 2013 version of seat material. The fact that they are using recycled bottles (or whatever) tells me that it must be cheaper for Ford and they really don't care about consumers. Well this is one buyer who does care.
  • keytexaskeytexas Posts: 20
    I have been fighting Ford for ages about the horrible seats. That includes copying pages and pages of these forums and sending them to corporate Customer Service... VP of Customer Service and two local dealerships. Nothing.
    A month ago when the transmission went kablooey, the service guy did send my Escape to detailing and did make it a week bit better. Yet the stains are starting again with each little raindrop or whatever.
    Good luck. Ford doesn't care.
    Well I too do care, that's obvious in my concerns over resale. I can live with it and I just received a recall concerning the seats,but not for the reason we are discussing.
    Please tell us what the seat re call is about. I didn't mean to act like I am the only one who is mad about these seats. It just seems to me that we are so used to accepting poor quality that Ford just keeps getting away with it. The only thing we can do is 1. complain 2. Not buy the product.
    After reading the recall in entirely it appears the covers in question are for Marathon after market seat covers. I guess I was just so happy to get a seat cover recall notice that I didn't see the aftermarket portion. Sorry.
  • lisam5lisam5 Posts: 1
    I am having same issue with my 2012 Ford Focus...............water stains from a damp bathing suit. Seats were replaced in Oct 2011 for water stains from water bottle condensation. Ford has terrible customer service. She told me it was obviously a split pop. The water stain is a perferct body shape with bum on the seat and back on the back portion of the seat. So frustrating...any suggestions?
    We have resigned ourselves to the fact that even though Ford was aware of the problem, they didn't and won't address it. Really po's me. I've been a Ford man my entire life. 43 years of driving that I might have to look at others next time I buy.
  • I've got an 08 & 09 Escape
    both have different color cloth seats-
    I've read all these posts- wonder why you buy a vehicle with cloth seats

mine look like they are brand new
    course we're a bit carefull
    wife did have a pretty stained passenger seat-
    quote, "not sure what I spilled on them"

found out don't try to spot clean- clean the whole seat-

I didn't quite like the results- so
    I got out the house Bissell Steam Cleaner- and since I had good luck with a cheap Carper & Upholstery Cleaner I buy at Walmart for the carpets decided to use it on her Escape seat

results- her seat looks like it just came off the showroom-
    can take a picture of that seat- all the seats on both Escape if you'd like

short of it- the seat material might not be the best for wet swimming suits, water, or pop, coffee- but they can be cleaned-

any good detail shop will tell you this-
    so- before you go to sell or trade in
    do what the dealers do- send it to a good detail shop

ps- I thought about Scotch Gaurd- but they aren't that hard to clean and show as good as new- jmo
    Well if a 2012 Escape is still having stain problems what can we expect from the 2013? Ford does NOT care. I can swear that my 2011 has NEVER had anything spilled on the seats EVER and I have cleaned 3 mysterious spots that suddenly appeared. Two times the spots were in different areas and the car wasn't even driven. Believe me please that 1. The interior of my car is always clean and there is no eating, kids, or pets in my car 2. It has been stated by others that the problem is due to the recycling material Ford uses. 3. Leather is better but some of us can't afford it. 4.Ford has already stated they are going to use recycled material in the 2013. Wow, lots of bucks (see new prices) for the new Escape eh?. Ford just turns a deaf ear when we complain. I'll not spend my money on poor workmanship.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Posts: 21
    edited July 2012
    cloth seats
    you don't want to hear about a 2008 & 2009 that have a total of 106,087miles- and the seats look like brand new
    you don't want to see pictures
    you just want to say ford is crap

poor workmanship-
    I don't think you have a clue
    have you ever done a search on how much stuff is recycled that is in everday items we all use

because you feel ford cloth seats are poor workmanship, you whine

quit already- you have no basis to state Ford cloth seats are junk
    I can show you ford interiors are as good as the next

I have the bottom of the rear seats out, and the headrests out- they are in the cargo trailer- you take them and compare to a brand new Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge-
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,624
    edited July 2012
    You sound like you work for a dealer. ;)

My (Ford built) minivan is 13 years old, 176k miles and has cloth seats. We paddle whitewater and lots of wet gear has been tossed on the seats over the years (not to mention our own wet seats). We have some dirt on them, but our seats don't have water stains or circular "sweat" stains.

I've seen a few posts complaining about spots with Jeeps, Saturns, Pontiacs, Kias, and Volvos but most seem to be from Escape owners. You'd think after 4 years of complaints Ford would tweak the textile a bit.

My other car has black leather seats. Had to drive it today, and it was 90 out. Ugh. They aren't too comfy in the cold here in the UP of MI either. Never again.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Hi Steve
    I had a 2000 Taurus SW with cloth seats- traded it for this Escape after 168,000 miles
    while I don't think either of my Escapes have as good of cloth material as to staining, it isn't hard to clean

I picked up a spray bottle of Scotch Gaurd
    I took one of the bottoms of my seat that hasn't been in the vehicle for 3 years and set a cold water bottle on it-
    the sweat/moisture left a mark
    when dry I used regular dish soap like I mix for washing dishes
    removed it completely
    today I'm going to spray the Scotch Gaurd on
    see if it still leaves a water bottle sweat mark

apoligize for coming across a little hard

I do quite a bit of off roading, hunting, etc- my interior looks quite nice
    I do treat the plastic with Armor All
    I have a heavy blanket/type that covers the rear area- seats are always down-
    have a large dog box that just fits in

have something interesting to ask Escape owners
    ever removed that rear carpet piece, wondered about that moulded black plastic piece, wondered about what you could store in there- I have it loaded with emergency stuff
    I did not use the words JUNK and CRAP. The fact that your seats are perfect is great, but when stains suddenly appeared I went to the Forum and found quite a few folks with seat problems. It would be hard to find anyone that doesn't know we recycle alot of things, but some of us just say that Ford isn't checking the composition of the recycled product(i.e. maybe a oil product). As far as whining goes, well, telling people about problems on a car seems like thats one of the reasons we have Forums. When a car has a problem, I don't care if it's a Ford or GM, Chrysler, or Honda. I think for the money we spend on cars we must share all info we can. Of course ALL Fords are not problematic but if it affects some than those are the ones speaking.
    edited July 2012
    good response there babbs

please allow me to explain-

these seat materials are indeed in question-
    but they can be easilly cleaned

I just don't feel a seat material that doesn't tear, wears real good, is bad-
    granted- they show stains- most any cloth seat does

I sure don't think dealers should be blamed because they won't put in new seats or new seat covers- might be different if Ford Manufacturing would pay the labor and parts for everyone who wanted different seats or seat covers than what they bought the vehicle with (meaning- under warranty would FMC fully reimburse the dealer for the mechanic's labor time to do the work and the material and parts)

I feel anyone who is totally upset should talk with the dealer they purchased from and see if that dealer can do the work and be paid- not free repair for them- but FMC to pay- or

If that dealer should listen to you- would you and them split the total cost- would seem reasonable- don't you think

and if someone doesn't want to buy Ford because of this- nothing wrong with that-jmo
    Just so we are clear, I thought we were talking about stains that appear on their own? If anyone spills, drops, or allows things to fall on a seat than It should be up to that person to clean it themselves. I agree that seats should be taken care of and last a long time. Of course, cleaning is easy but why should a seat that has had NOTHING on it to cause a stain be not covered under warranty? Since I have had my 2011 Escape I do not place anything on the seats without a towel. The truth is some of these seats have something in its composition that causes these mysterious spots. If I caused them than I SHOULD pay to have them cleaned, not Ford. I have had car seats (fabric) and always kept them clean. Of all the cars I've owned, only one car (very old) got a split seam but that was just carelessness on my part. We are talking about STAINS showing up for no reason.
  • We had a stain on our brand new 2011 Ford Escape the week after we brought it home. The stain could not be removed by the dealer, and the dealer reluctantly replaced the seat . The real issue here is that Ford seems to be using the same untested recycled material that was recalled in 2008 just to appease the green community. I really like my Ford Escape but for the fact that I have to be so careful with the seats to prevent further staining, I would never buy another Ford vehicle again. Good luck with Ford's dealership and Corporate, both are reluctant to stand behind this aspect of their product!!
  • i agree. my front seats were replaced with the same material. and this material gets those white ringed water stains. when i bought the car (used), the back seat had stains, but they weren't the white ringed ones. re the poster who says they can be "easily cleaned"--no, they can't. i've done the woolite pet stain cleaning route several times with very little success.
    So we're clear the stains on my 2008 escape's seats were caused by water falling onto the seat when you open the doors during or after a rain.
  • assuming that's dirrected at me-

I have methods to clean seats- but you go ahead and stand behind Escape seats can't be easily cleaned- have a nice year
  • i'm not *that* stubborn. what is your method?
    Yes your post says it all. My 2011 Escape also had the mystery stains within a month of purchase. I thought I took the stains away (I use a non-chemical cleaner called Incredible). The problem is, I got new stains of which I did NOT cause. The person who insists that the seats are easy to clean just does not understand that some of us got material (as you stated) that was not properly tested. Shadescapes is stuck on "seats are easy to clean" and their car has thousands of miles on it and seats are beautiful". What a lucky person, we are not! We are not making up our seat problems but they sure act like we are. It is interesting how every post Shadescapes makes,he or she enjoys making an insulting remark as well as mis quoting us. I wonder if when they were a Service Mgr. they treated other Ford customers with the same contempt?
    edited July 2012
    For those interested
    I cleaned and treated my 08 Escape front seats- will do the 09 next
    Bissel Pro Heat Pet- small attachment
    Walmart Great Value Pet Formula Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner
    Walmart Scotch Gard fabric & upholstery Protector

heavy traffic Smartmix setting
    went slowly over the seats spraying them good
    let sit for 5 min
    sucked it up with repeated over lapping back and forths
    set the Smartmix to water only for the rinse
    went over the seats slowy
    let set 5 min
    overlapping back and forth passes
    let sit with doors open 3 hours- 100 degrees

sprayed the Scotch Gard on in 3 light coats- side of seats- same as cleaning
    let sit for 3 hours with doors open

wanted to see how coffee and coke would be on the one seat by dabbing each on in two spots
    wet clean cloth wipe back and forth
    not a mark on the seat

wife was standing there watching-

she wants her seats done

just thought you might like to hear

course only time will tell- but it sure looks like it works

take care

ps- I'd take a picture of those seats but I don't think I'm allowed to post pictures- yet
  • mew4mew4 Posts: 2
    I have been dealing with my local Ford Dealer (where I purchased my 2008 Escape) over this issue since we bought it. Last year he kindly replaced the upholstery on the bottom of the front seats. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Any marks at all are easily cleaned as has been my experience with all my previous Ford vehicles.

However, on the original upholstery there are marks that only get worse no matter how I try to clean it. I rarely have any passengers in my car at all but am frustrated with the many water marks caused by opening the door to get out my snow brush or opening the moon roof on an occasion where there has been dew, rain or it has been cleaned in the previous several hours. I plan to keep this car so it has been quite a frustration to me to have my car look so horrible. I would never have kept a piece of upholstery with this problem and am frustrated that Ford won't even meet me half way to have the rest of the upholstery replaced. They can not clean it either. Once again, I'm going to try to figure out something else to clean it, and will post if I have any luck. Barring that, has anyone considered starting a class action law suit?
    Too bad that there are so many of us who received the strange fabric that contain something that causes the stains. See the messages 124,134,135,145,148,149,150,153,154,161,167 etc. One guy (Shadescapes) sent me a message calling me a liar;regarding stains that just appear. I have had luck removing stains (product called Incredible) but my problem is the new ones that pop up. Why would we spend time complaining if there were no problems? Going to the dealer is not how I want to spend my free time. It is apparent that some folks did not get these 'green" seats, even in 2008. Get ready for some insults from Shadescapes cause he's the only one who knows how to clean seats, even when the dealers don't. See his step by step instructions (while his wife watches). OMG what a kidder!
  • you so sweetly come at me

you should ask in detail how your dealer tries to clean your seats
    you should go to a reputable Detail Shop and get their details

most seats are porus- meaning something can be in the material under the top coat and work thru

on perfectly clean seats with perfectly clean backing material- stains don't majically appear- that was my statement

have a nice day
  • I purchased a new 2012 Ford Focus with light grey cloth seats....it has been back to the dealership 5 times & counting and they have their service clean them & will continue until it's out of warrenty. Eventually they will get tired of paying for it....would be cheaper for them to replace the seats. Currently talking to Customer Care in Detroit to see what can be done....if only more people would complain they may have to recall them. They know there is an issue and refuse to do anything so far. Rain Water, Bottled Water should not stain seats. We have had plenty of cars over the years and it has never happened. Please anyone with this issue - Contact Customer Care - Detroit and make your voice heard.
  • mew4mew4 Posts: 2
    I wrote a couple days ago about my frustration with the upholstery in my 2008 Escape. The reason our dealer replaced the upholstery on the bottom of the front seats is because when he tried to clean them they looked even worse. I had worked with him over two or three years and this year asked him to meet me half way with the back seats and he refused to do so. I took it to Customer Care who I think was involved in the decision to replace the front seats last year. They left it in the hands of the service department of the dealership who continued to refuse to do anything more. I then wrote to Ford Management in Dearborn and received a terse response that there was nothing they would do after a careful review of my case. After always owning Ford vehicles, I'm sad to say that I feel completely free to look at the competition for future purchases.

Now, the good news. I read everything everyone has written and decided I had nothing to lose trying one more time. I followed Shadescape's suggestion to make sure the entire seat was wet. I also followed someone else's suggestion not to use a lot of different chemicals. I used a sponge to wet the entire seat with lukewarm water. I had a very light solution of Fels Naptha and water and used a scrub brush to brush it back and forth over the entire seat for several minutes. Fels Naptha is a mild bar soap sold very inexpensively (in the midwest) in the detergent section of a grocery store. I think any mild soap would do the same probably. I used the sponge and scrub brush again to add clear water several times to remove all the soap. Then I used beach towels and pressure to dry the seats as much as possible. As the day was about 88 degrees with very little humidity, it was easy to dry the seats within a day, probably half a day just by leaving the windows open.

Unfortunately, while I was at it, I also tried to clean one spot on the top of one of the front seats. Now instead of the spot I have a large ring where the spot was which looks worse. It is frustrating that in order to remove any spots at all one must completely soak the entire seat so that there are no marks. This is especially frustrating when the spot was only caused by water to begin with.