Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    What type of wheel balance was used??? High speed balance is a much more accurate type of balancing.
    Another reason could be that several tires are "out of round". Do you have any of the stations that Tire Rack recommends to use in your area?
    If not go to a place that specializes in Corvette, BMW......mounting and balancing.
    Hope this helps.
  • fleasedfleased Posts: 18
    No idea what type of balancing was used. I called the guy at the shop (Tire Kingdom) and he invited me to come and see the read-out on the equipment showing that the tires are indeed balanced. That's fine, but if the car still vibrates, then it'll be of little comfort to me will it?
    If the tires are indeed out of round, then balancing is a moot point isn't it? What kind of recourse would I have then? Are tire dealers allowed to sell you tires that are almost round? Seems crazy.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    An "out of round" tire, would be defective and the manufacturer should replace for free.

If this "Tire Kingdom" outfit is not capable of figuring out the cause of a vibration that was not there before tires were replaced, maybe you need to go elsewhere for the diagnosis?
  • fleasedfleased Posts: 18
    I guess I may have to, although I'm not keen on the idea of paying someone else for it when I've already sunk $700+ into the tires. I'm going in tonight to speak to them, so we'll see what they say. On the phone the guy brought up the possibility of other causes (brakes was one suggestion, which is silly since it's a problem when I'm cruising, not braking) and sidestepped my mention of them being out of round, so my hunch is that he doesn't want to deal with the defective product idea. Hope it doesn't get ugly.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My thinking is if the place that sold you the tires tells you specifically that there is no defect in any of the tires and that they are all properly balanced and then you go elsewhere with your vibration and they find that the tires or wheel balance are the cause, then you would have a reason to go back to the first place and ask to be reimbursed for any costs that you'd not otherwise have had, or you could go back there before actually having the problem fixed and see what the first place wants to do. It's a hassle though...

If the second place finds some other cause, then there would be no issue with the first place, of course.

I once had a defective tire that made a subtle but noticeable vibration and had no problem with getting a new tire. I do not know how they determined that it was a defective tire. But when we had it, it was the front passenger side tire and the vibration was much more noticeable to the passenger (felt it most through feet on the floor) than it was to the driver...so maybe they moved the tires around and the vibration moved with the tire?
  • dddaytondddayton Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I am shopping for a new Jetta Sportwagen. Dealer showed me VW brand 17" and 18" wheel and tire options. Fine print said "suspension travel limits may need to be installed and rear suspension alignment may need to be checked" for these wider wheels. What do these caveats mean? Salesperson said "should be fine, have not heard of any problems, service manager says it will probably be OK". How can I resolve conflict between salesperson slick pitch and VW's printed recommendations. I plan to swap wheels and tires seasonally but do not want to check alignment twice a year. I would like to know 1) How does one limit suspension travel, what kind of part or adjustment? 2) How much travel is lost? 17" and 18" wheels range from 7" to 8" wide, all tires are 225 mm wide.

Thanks for any help.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    VWs formal printed documents ALWAYS trump the words of a sales-person.
    ...even if the sales-person writes their sales-pitch in blood!!

From my experience, a car-salesman does not work at the same dealership for more than a year. Apparently there are a lot of "opertunitues for better employment" in that field of work.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793
    If the wheels (and tires) came from the factory, then they will be fine. They check that sort of thing to make sure it fits properly.

However, aftermarket wheels may have the wrong offset and the tires may be too big - hence the warning!
  • I just bought a VW Jetta S and I want to change the wheels that are on the car. It currently has the 205 55 16 tires and wheels but I found a set of wheels that are 215 55 16 and I wondered if anyone knows for sure if these would work?

Thanks to anyone who can help! :)
2»