Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mountaineer Start Stall Idle Problems

mnpaulmnpaul Posts: 11
Hi all...Frustrated Mountaineer owner here--My 2002 Mountaineer has been stalling at 70 MPH on the freeway. It staills at slow speeds, at stop signs etc. Dealer CANNOT get it to fail of course. It appears to be fuel related. I have seen "Fuel error" message on the display. It will restart immediately. It can run fine for a couple of trips, then it will fail. I put a can of Gummout cleaner in the fuel and it's working through that now. Any ideas?

Comments

• Hmm..... if its fuel related... EGR?

Why not try this......
    Use gas until nearly empty and fill-up at a brandname station like chevron/texaco

Take it to a different dealership and perform - throttle service (combustion camber) change fuel filter etc.

Using gumout might not be good for a classy SUV like Mountaineer. Instead try Techron system cleaner

Just my 2 cent
  • mnpaulmnpaul Posts: 11
    Hi oluade76, thank you so much for your input. I use Mobil gas all the time, so that's a constant (as constant as it can be) Additionally in fact, I did use Gummout Professional cleaner this past weekend. It got worse, (more stalling), but it could be cleaning--who knows.---it's been parked since Sunday as I am out of town. The dealership called me this week (after bad feedback from me on a phone survey) and of course they want it back in when they can attach the "black box" to trap the error codes when it fails for me. I will see what that brings. Thanks again.
  • I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer and I am having the same issues. The vehicle is stalling on me at 50 MPH. I have had it in to the dealership twice this week. They still have it, since Saturday. They replaced the fuel pump and it stalled 20 minutes down the road after I picked it up. So, there it sits at the dealership till they can figure it out. They have no idea what is wrong. When they went to bring it into the shop after I dropped it wouldn't start, now I guess my battery is dead and needs to be replaced, I never had trouble with it before. So, after talking to the tech today for 20 minutes I decided to call Mercury, and report this to them. Please do the same so that they can start researching it. The more they hear from us the better off we are with them trying to find out what is wrong. Here is the website: http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/help/contactus.asp. I called 1-800-521-4140. They are escalating it to their escalations group and I should hear back from them in 2-3 days. I love my vehicle but I am NOT willing to endanger myself or my family because they can't figure out what is wrong with it. If anyone figures it out before they do please share. :confuse:
    Hi all,

Well I wanted to update everyone on my vehicle status. I have been out of town for the last couple of weeks since adding the "Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner" (purchased at Target. I did some drving yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks and the vehicle stalled twice on the freeway. On my return trip (about 20 miles) and today with a 40 mile or so trip--NO stalling occured. Of course I am not 100% convinced this issue is resolved, but it's good new nontheless. The symptoms keeps pointing to a fuel issue and something being clogged. The stalling became worse when the Gumout was hitting the engine, but it appears that it has passed it (like Draino) and hopefully has cleared the issue. I am going to try to drive the vehicle as much as I can this weekend, as I have an appt at the Ford Dealership on Monday am and of course I would LOVE to cancel it.

I will update everyone on my progress the rest of the weekend.

Caution---
    Just be advised if you do have the same issue as I indicate above (frequent stalling at high speeds) becareful when/where you add the Gumout. The instructions say to get to a really low gas tank, add the Gumout and fill it up with fresh gas. I did this and once the Gumout hit the engine & fuel system it stalled many times. Stay on local streets unitl it works it through. The Saturday I added the Gumout, was the worst ever, it must have stalled at least 6 times in a couple mile radius before I parked it for a couple of weeks.

Good Luck

I'd love to hear other stories relating to this issue.
    :)
    Hi all, just an update--several hundred miles and NO more stalling. I am convinced the Gumout solved the problem. Give it a try.

Good luck
    Paul
    HI,

Did you ever get a resolution? My issues are back after a sucessful 4-5 full tanks of gas and now the stalling started this past weekend. I put a bottle of Heet in the gas tank and had less stalls (1 at 50 mph in a 200 mile trip home yesterday)

Any updates would be appreciated. I am thinkiing about changing the Air Control Valve (from a previous poster), but I am not sure if that's my exact problem, since its stallling at high speed (not just at idle)

Paul
  • Amazing I have a 2002 Mountaineer V8 with the same issue, started 3 yrs ago. Mercury/Ford claims they have never seen this before. Mainly stalls when car comes to a stop sign in the mornings, never had a high speed stall. I have replaced fuel filter and air control valve. Knock on wood, car has not stalled in the last 6 months.
    Hi,

The stalling came back this winter. I then decided to add a bottle of HEET to each gas tank when I fill up (live in MN) and it solved the problem. The car is stored in a warm garage, is not run often (live in the city)...so I am thinking that it is some type of condensation build up that that HEET resolves.

I will continue to add HEET to every fill up regardless of the outside temp. It appears to fix whatever is causing this annoying & unsafe problem.

Good luck!
    Paul
  • droid1droid1 Posts: 1
    greetings We have an 02 mercury mountianeer that seems not to like spring weather.
    the problem stated April 07 thru June 07, my wife would take short trips maybe 10 to 20 miles, on a hot or warmer than normal day time temp in Minnesota during the time shown. The car would run fine, she would turn it off do whatever errand she was doing and then car would not start. we tried several remidities including user a higher octane gas and even replacing the battery ( first thought the battery was at a minimum 5 years old). Of course when the car was at the dealer they could not get the problem to repeat.
    We took the Mountaineer to another dealer and they replaced the DPFE sensor in July of 07. Until then to now the problem went away.
    Now to today ( April 21 08) and once again Minneapolis had the warm est day of the year so far a whopping 76 degrees. the morning stated out cool not cold so when my wife went to work the car ran fine when she went to start the car in the afternoon after having sat out all day it did not want to start. after several attempts she decided to let it sit. We waited to approx 8 PM to try and start the car and of course it started.
    My question is are we expierencing a vapor lock issue or is there something else at hand?
  • Similar stall issues, not sure if it related but dealership just replace my "vent soleniod" as part of evaporative emission system. I also had issues refueling the truck, the pump at gas stations would keep tripping the auto-shut off. They has to drop the fuel tank to get at the vent soleniod. Good luck.
    Very good idea to explore. I am still putting in HEET into the gas tank every fill up and when it's 90, it's hard to find stock till the winter sets in again. Water in the gas line seems to be the culprit...so your idea could be something that would work. I am sure it would be expensive and my warranty is up...Ughh! Thanks again!
  • I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer that has been stalling at stop signs, stop lights, and any other time I slow down to turn. It's so scary! First, the battery light comes on (I think cause the engine dies) then the a light comes on that says High temp/low pressure. It wills start right back up. I just bought this truck in March. It's so frusterating. Do you guys thinks it's the same thing thats happening to your Mountaineers?

I live in MN as well and had no problems until it started warming up outisde.

Thanks
    Sure sounds like the same thing --but mine dies on the freeway at 60 mph and slow speeds, so it's not very specific.

Try HEET and see what happens.

The post last week is interesting, as it all seeem to be related to condensation in the fuel line...

Let us know...
    Paul
  • bh2000bh2000 Posts: 1
    I highly recommend an induction cleaning service. On many ford/mercury SUV's I have seen similar stalling problems and have chased them one by one, including cleaning the injectors, fuel filter, etc., depending on the codes. However the one thing that seemed to resolve the most frequent problem of stalling at a stop sign, whenever you take your foot off the gas pedal, was an induction service.

It is very important to keep your air filter clean, once carbon builds up in the intake manifold, your vehicle will begin to stall. The codes may not always point to the exact problem.

I recommend a BG Induction service if you have never had this done and your vehilce is over 65,000 miles.
  • Mercury Mountaineer 2004, AWD, V8.
    Bought this used with 40k miles on it.
    The engine dies (dead) when using the cruise control.
    Example, you are driving down the road at 40 mph and set the cruise
    control, several minutes pass by and suddenly the engine is dead.
    Most of the warning lights in the instrument cluster come on.
    Naturally you have to slip it into neutral or struggle to the side of the road, without
    power steering, put it in park and restart. It restarts everytime.
    This problem happens randomly however only when using the cruise control.
    It does not appear to be mileage or time related, in other words the engine can die
    after 5 miles of 10 miles of cruising, or it can die after 1 minute or 10 minutes of cruising. Outside temperature does not seem to matter, it could be cold or hot outside and it could die.

I've tried adding "gumout" and "fuel injector" fuel and tank cleaners. I don't sense
    the problem is fuel related but rather a gremlin in the engine management system that involves the cruise control.

I stopped at a local autoparts store that offers a free service where they will scan your OBII or whatever port that is with their scanner. NO codes showed up.
    I thought about borrowing or buying something I could hook up to the port to try to catch a code but don't know what to buy or borrow or whether the cars computer will be savvy enough to catch or remember the fault.

I have seen the same problem posted on the NHTSA website however can't find any recommendations.

Anybody else out there having an engine dies with cruise control problem?
  • I changed the battery on my 2004 Mountaineer and it hasn't been running good since then. It stalls at times when starting, at a stop sign, or in reverse. I've changed the air & fuel filters and spark plugs. Nothing comes up on the computer at the service station. I've tried Gumout but still have the same issue. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
  • 2004 Explorer 4.6Liter V8 doing the same thing. Any luck solving this problem?
  • Randy,
    Nope. The engine still dies with cruise at slow speeds. I've never resolved the problem. However, I have been able to make it happen more often:
    Simply put it in cruise.
    Then go down a hill.
    As the engine rpms drop they keep dropping until somewhere under 500 rpms the engine will die, not all the time but very often.

I read a post where someone suggesting having the computer reflashed may fix the problem but my local Ford dealer closed up shop and I'd have to drive a distance,
    I think the other dealer quoted something under $100.00 to reflash the computer but would not guarantee a fix.
  • qbnqbn Posts: 1
    I had this problem happened to me last week in the shopping mall parking lot. The car stalled and the signal displayed High Temp / Low Oil pressure like veryone stated here. The car started within seconds without any issues and I have been driving for a week now without noticing anything odd with the car. I have been buying regular 87 octane gas as suggested and buying from a very reputable station (BP).

This is my very first time encountered such odd problem with my Mountaineer. I bought this SUV used at 25K 3 years ago and now I have 83K on the odometer. I've been very pleased with the vehicle so far, well, besides the gas sipping happy.

I called the dealership and told them about the issue and they told me that they never heard of this symptom before. Of course, they suggested that I bring my vehicle in for inspection (-:

I will head down to my local Autozone to have them pull the code of the vehicle and see what type of codes they can pull from the vehicle. By the way, this is a free service provided by Autozone.

The other tging I can think of is, when did I replaced my fuel filter??? Not exactly sure, but I am going to have it replaced this Saturday for sure.

I really like the vehicle and I am not ready for any car payments at this time yet. So, I am going to find out what I can do before trading it in for some else.

Thanks for reading my post.

Have an awesome New Year everyone!!

Quincy
  • Just broke 90k wants to stall when not under acceleration. Fuel pump was replace 6months ago . Sounds like intake may have leak ? Thought someone might know seeing how my MC is off until Monday!!