Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Engine Rattle

Comments

• I posted a message here regarding the similiar problem with the 2007 Altima 2.5 S. After three visits to my Nissan dealer over a 8 month period, they finally agreed that something was wrong. Here is the stange part. Based on advise from the Nissan tech line, they replaced my engine (new), but up to this day, they remain elusive about what the problem was. I'm still concerned that my new engine will develop the the same noise problem.

I suggest that you keep pressing Nissan. The 2.5 S engine has problems...
  • Well where should i start i had a 2008 altima and i now drive 2008 malibu and love it. my altima stayed in the shop more times than i can count.. mine sounded like a tractor when it was cold. it was the heat shield; we had four new ones put on did not stop the problem!!! they would not put another motor in for us. they could not fix the problem but kept giving us a run around. we filed a complaint with the better
    business bureau guess what they said------------- because the car was still drive able
    they would not do anything i had 3 mechanics look at mine and said it was internal in the engine!! got tired of missing work trying to deal with mine so i traded it off i have had my malibu 5 months and i have not had a problem. i wish you lots of luck
  • I have the same problem in my 2003 2.5L Altima. Of course mine in out of warranty so I have not brought it in to be looked at as of yet. I’ve been doing some research before I do that. I have read many posts on this and have a little automotive knowledge. First off I know without a doubt it is not the heat shields. Nissan must have idiots for mechanics because if you listen to the engine you can clearly tell that it’s the valve train and not a rattle from a loose shield. In some vehicles this can be the case but I have read post after post of people having these shields replaced and the sound is still there. What does Nissan do? They change them again and end up with the same result. My engine makes the sound only when the engine is cold and goes away when the engine is at normal temperature. In the summer, I hardly ever hear the noise after the engine has had a cold soak (sitting over night). Now in the winter when it’s cold out is when I hear this noise at its worse. Another interesting find is that the noise is only when the engine is under load. At idle it’s very quiet and you can even rev it up without hearing the clatter. A heat shield would rattle if it were lose regardless if the engine was idling or under load. The theory is that once the exhaust heats up the shield expands and becomes snugger eliminating the noise.

I have a 5spd and soon as you put it in gear and start to accelerate I can hear the noise and like I said, it sounds exactly like an engine with no lubrication to the camshaft and valve train. I changed my oil filter to a high grade filter thinking perhaps the oil filter bypass valve was not functioning and was starving the engine for oil at cold temps. This makes perfect sense. Oil filters have a oil bypass valve in them because when it’s cold out the oil is very thick and too thick to push through the filter medium. So when the engine is cold, the pressure from the oil not getting through the filter medium causes the bypass valve to open and allow oil to circulate throughout the engine. When the engine gets warm and the oil gets thinner, the pressure will drop and the bypass valve in the filter will close. Then the valve shuts and the oil is able to begin going through the filter medium. I also used thinner oil to help in cold weather and that and the filter change did not resolve the noise.

So this brings me back to the valve train. Nissans have what is called a “cam timing solenoid”. This is a valve that controls the cam shaft timing sprocket, it changes the oil pressure to the sprocket for cam timing, and if it loses pressure it will cause the sprocket to rattle. It seems to be a problem when the engine is cold. I have come to the conclusion that this has to be the problem.
  • This is factory defect!
    EVERYBODY must fill complain at BBB.org
    I don’t know how many complains needed to issue recall.
    I hope we will get it soon!
  • zfro22zfro22 Posts: 1
    I was very happy to see this thread and find that I am not alone.

I purchased a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S on March 6th at 31 miles on the odometer. I have noticed a slight puttering noise when the car is idle. I am not sure if the noise is loud enough to be classified as a 'rattle,' but I do know that the engine does not sound clean. I know what a new engine is supposed to sound like and this one definitely sounds like it needs an oil change or something.

I have made an appointment with my local Nissan dealer, Corona Nissan, and I will be taking the car in tomorrow at 9am. I am very cautious and nervous about my purchase now and hope to update this site soon.

If anyone else is experiencing any engine problems with the brand new 2009 Altima's please respond. THanks
  • rayvalrayval Posts: 8
    I have the same problem with my 2009 Altima 2.5 which has 6,000 miles. The engine started making noise about a month after I bought it in October 2008. The car has been at the dealer for the same problem at least 6 times and it is still the same. The engine sounds like a diesel engine when it is cold and sounds the same after it has warmed up when it is under load and acceleration. The dealer has tried a different oil filter, checking the converter heat shield for vibration and even replacing some spacers, that were not the correct size on the rocker arms, however, that did not work. The noise is still there and getting worse!!.
    I really don't think that Nissan has a clue what is wrong with this engine. Fortunately, in Canada we have an arbitration program that can force the manufacturer to repair the vehicle or buy it back. I have owned Nissans for over twenty-five years, unfortunately, I think I got a lemon this time. I will give the dealer a chance to fix the car and if that doesn't work, I will go through arbitration. I just cannot drive around in a car that sounds like a diesel specially when it has a gas engine.
  • Same thing happen to me found out I blew 2 cat converters not sure how but I replaced them both now its quiet not with Nissan cats because they are garbage did you service line come on
    No, the service engine didn't come on. It sounds like the noise is coming from the top of the engine, ie: lifters, camshaft, that is not getting proper lubrication. The noise is a knocking sound, like solid on solid. It is definitely not a normal engine sound.
  • Judging from the postings in this forum and the fact that my 2007 Altima 2.5 is on engine number two and it still sounds the same, these are definitely not isolated cases.

My engine was replaced 6000 miles ago and the dreaded sound is back. I regret purchasing this car.
  • dtownmildtownmil Posts: 23
    Our 2.5L Altima definately has some rattles, but I am convinced they are heat sheilds. Based upon posts that say even dealers could not fix the rattles, I haven't even gotten under the car to see if I could do it. If it is just a loose heat sheild, there are lots of ways to fix it.

It seems those with newer models may have other issues by reading this post.
    Thanks for that!

I am going to ask the dealer to remove the heat shield completely and see what this does. Because of our strict laws on catalytic converters (ie: fire, etc..), the dealer may not be able/willing to remove the heat shield. If that is the case, I will crawl underneath the car and try to remove the heat shield without breaking it. Heat shields are a real nuisance , they rot and fall apart in no time and you have to pay a ton on money to replace them.. They are only there to prevent grass fires in the event that a person parks where there is dry grass, which I never do.

I'm expecting to bring the car in today (about the 7th time) for the rattle. I would be very surprised if the noise came from the heat shield it sounds more like a knocking that a rattle, but you never now.

I'll post as soon as I have anything new.
  • I think Nissan is going the way of bad car companies. They sell lemons and don't back them up. It takes years for bad quality and service to catch up with a car company. I imagine market share for Nissan will shrink as people with bad experiences discuss them.

My experience with Nissan is this....They explain these "noise" issues away over and over until it you give up or it is out of warranty.

Then they tell you its the pre-catalytic converter, your engine will soon be toast and it's not worth fixing. Depending on how soon you catch it, a non Nissan Mechanic can fix it for a few grand, and you can expect it to last as long as the pre-catalytic converter does.....which is apparently a random thing.

It is really sad too, we've had 6 different cars over the yrs...4 Fords, a Chevy, a Buick, and another Nissan. The Altima cost us more money in repairs than the other 7 cars combined!! The Ford I traded in for the Altima was 12yrs old. My Altima lasted me 5yrs. My 17yr old Ford is probably still the better car.

That's just my experience...but I'm not alone. Nissan will not back up their cars. They are a bit like the American car companies back in the 70's.
  • wstormwstorm Posts: 1
    i am a new owner of a 2009 SL altima .i have owned it for one month yesterday. on the 4th day of owning it i had to take it back to the dealer because driving at any speed higher than 60 miles the front end somewhat shakes. the dealership had to balance the wheels and do a front wheel aliment. WOW i still am having this problem is any one else have this shimmy problem at any spreed
  • jchd1340jchd1340 Posts: 13
    just picked up a used 07 2.5 altima with 29000 sounds like diesel on start up for 1 sec. dealer says its heat shield adjusted but noise is still there what do i do now need help
    update= car back from dealer. says noise (like a bag of rocks ) is normal oil drains down starts like a diesel i feel this is slowly damaging the engine it is not the heat shields!! we all should contact nissan corp. BBB and attorney general. and complain. strength in numbers!!!
    A while ago, I posted about my tractor, sorry! I meant my 09 Altima 2.5L that sounds like a diesel and getting worse. After a lot of ranting and raving, I finally got Nissan Canada to acknowledge that there is in fact a problem with the engine. It appears that there is a noise with the #3 cylinder, similar to a slapping noise. Nissan is deciding whether they will replace the engine or buy back the car. I was told by the Service manager at my local dealership that Nissan would not issue a recall until they get enough complaints and that replacing the engine would not guarantee anything as the noise could come back. If you have a similar noise, it is not a loose heat shield or anything else, it is definitely coming from the engine. I have given Nissan Canada until Friday June 5th to decide what they are going to do to rectify this problem, otherwise I am filing my claim with CAMVAP (Canadian Motor Arbitration Program) and I am going to ask for a buy back. If you have this problem, I would suggest you look at www.camvap.ca as they might be able to help you.
    I will post further once there are new developments.
    thank you rayval but who would i contact in the U.S. ?
    by the way. good luck!!!
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    This really funny. I am taking my 2009 Mazda 6 with a 2.5L engine for a checkup this Thursday for exactly the same sounds you describe. A knocking sound at idle similar to a piston slap, and tapping sound on light acceleration. I noticed this sound started happening immediately after my first oil change. Could Canadian dealers be using the incorrect oil grade? I tried switching fuel grades but it did not make a difference.
    how did you make out?