Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tahoe Suburban 4 Wheel Drive Indicator Lights

Comments

• niktnikt Posts: 24
    My take on my problems as well as all of yours is that we all need to do more research and need some words of advice from a knowledgeable GM transmission tech.

Does anyone know of a good manual, say a Chilton or Haynes that focuses on GM 4WDs and transfer cases? I looked in our public library, but came up short. I'm not comfortable changing fuses, etc., when I don't even have a clear understanding of how the transfer case operates and how the shifter motor interfaces with what I am sure are splined shifting collars.

I suspect many of you are a lot more knowledgeable on how a transfer case functions than I am, and if you can help, please pitch in because I'm sure we could all learn something.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

NIKT
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    You can order a set of factory service manuals for your vehicle. Check the back of the owners manual for the ordering details. They are a HUGE 3 volume set, which goes into intimate detail of everything. I always order a set for every vehicle I have bought. If it saves you one trip to the dealership repair department, it pays for itself.
    Hi kiawah,

Thanks for your courteous and prompt response. I will follow up on your suggestion.

NIKT
  • I have a Silverado 4WD. The electronic push button will go from blinking to a solid light when pushing either 4 wheel High or 4 wheel Low, but the front wheels don't engage.
    Anyone know whats going on?
    Re: notawrenchguy

Take a look at previous messages. Check the transfer case fuses.

If the fuse(s) are blown, there is a chance that the shifter motor is shot, and you may need a 4WD/2WD shifter motor, also known as an encoder motor. To correctly identify which one your Siverado uses, be sure to check your serial number/option data plate. Check your owner's manual for its location. Copy down the N-codes to determine which transfer case you have and the shifter motor you might need.

With the correct n-code, a cooperative GM parts counterman should be able to give you the correct encoder motor P/N.

Hope this helps.

NIKT
  • I'm lookink for the (ATC) fuse and am a little confused! I have a 2004 Silverado (electronoic) 4WD. I'm looking for my various 4 WD related fuses in the owners manual and find one labled "TREC" (All-wheel Drive Module) , one marked "4WD" (Four Wheel Drive System, Auxiliary Battery), one marked "B/U LP" (Back-up lamps, Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System) , but I'm not finding one marked "ATC" (Automatic transfer Case)
    These include fuse panels in the cab and under the hood.
    Any thoughts or direction??

I looked at my owners manual
  • Thanks for your reply and suggestions
    I'll check the fuses first and pray, although I've reveiewed some previous messages and just sent out another "question" because I can't find a fuse labeled (ATC) Automatic Transfer Case.
  • 85350x85350x Posts: 2
    i have a 96 suburban. i've read through all the posts and didnt see anything on older suburbans. mine is in 2hi and if i shift to 4hi or 4 lo the indicator lights flash. i can hear the transfer case engage but i dont think the front differential is engaging. I had a 94 suburban and i replaced the differential acctuator and that fixed the problem on it but it had a lever on the floor to engage 4wd. i checked fuses and didnt see one for the t-case in the fuse block under the hood. will look again.
    To all,

Just so you all know, my experiences with 4WD have been limited to my 1999 Tahoe and its particular transmission, 4WD control configuration, and fusing.

I can't speak with any authority on any other year or model GM product (heck, I can't speak with any authority on my own Tahoe).

My suggestion would be to check all fuses that seem to relate to the 4WD controls and replace any blown fuses. Then try the system. My Tahoe did have a blown fuse which I replaced, and I did restore 4WD operation. After a week, the fuse again blew. I have ordered a new shift motor from Rock Auto to make a hopefully permanent repair.

I caution you all to check your option data plate to confirm the transmission option codes to get the correct parts. In my area, a helpful Chevy dealer parts guy gave me the GM p/n for the shift motor for that code.

I can only say that fuses blow because of excess current and that usually means the encoder (shift) motor is possibly faulty and must be replaced

NIKT
  • Thnaks for the info.....I've checked all the fuses I could find ( as I mentioned in my message # 49) but didn't find out that were blown????
    Today I'll look around under the truck for loose conections, etc.
  • I looked under the truck yesterday, but didn't see anything that looked wrong (disconnected)
    Today I'll stop by the Chevy dealer (parts dept) to see if I can pick-up any additional info regarding fuses and their location. As I previously stated I only found 3 fuses relating to 4WD system (4WD, TREC, B/U LP) but am still trying to find out whether I actually have a fuse for the ATC or a 4 x 4 Module. For all I know the fuse labeled 4WD could be the ATC (Auto Transfer Case).

If anyone has any other ideas, please advise.
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far.
    Referring to my previous messages, you may recall that on my 1999 Tahoe, the ATC fuse blew twice. This fuse evidently protects the so-called "encoder motor" that shifts the transfer case from 2 Hi to 4Hi, etc. I concluded that the failure to shift was the fault of this shift motor. I checked the 4 WD option code from the option code plate located in the glove box door, then cross-checked it with a Chevy dealer parts person to determine the GM part number for that option code, then checked the applications listed on the Dorman (aftermarket parts mfr) website to find the Dorman replacement P/N. I then ordered the part from a local car parts store rather than mail order in case the part was faulty, wrong, etc., and could be returned. After all this, the store still ordered the wrong part and it had to be-ordered

A skilled (ASE certified) mechanic installed it for me in about one hour's time and the 4WD system now seems to be functioning correctly. I notice that shifting occurs more quickly.

Cautions:
    Check and double check your transfer case option code.

If you do get a part, make sure it's the right one.

Don't substitute a bigger ATC fuse, you could have fire in the wire harness.

My opinion: I avoid using the Automatic 4WD as I think it engages harshly.

So far, so good. Best of luck to you all.

NIKT

and
  • Good news!
    I purchased a Haynes Repair Manual and a friend of mine ( with wrenching experience) came over on Saturday and we diagnosed the 4WD system from the automatic pushbutton to the Acuator/encoder motor at the transfer case to the front axle shift motor (acuator).
    Turns out that it was a bad front axle shift motor which is probably the easiest item on the 4WD system to change out :) The unit screws right into the axle tube..

Thanks again to all of you who made suggestions and shared their issues.

Regards,
    Tony
    To notawrenchguy,

Good job! Please tell me the title or publication number of the Haynes manual you used.
    As my Tahoe ages, it may need more repairs, so a manual will be a big help.

Good luck,

NIKT
  • Nikt,

Thanks.
    The Haynes Manual ( # 24066) I bought covers Chevy Silverado, GMC Sieera 1999- 2006. it also covers Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Denali, Avalanche, etc
    You could probaly check it out on-line or at your local Napa Auto Shop (or similar)

Take care.

I guess I'm now "kind of a wrench guy"
  • I have a problem that consists of the "Service 4WD" message comes on and now the damn thing won't come out of 4LO. I was wondering if there is any way of disconnecting the solenoid/actuator and getting back into 2WD?
    To notawrenchguy:

Disclaimer: Although I got my Tahoe 4WD working, I am NOT a 4WD drive guru.

But, I do want to help. Based on my experience watching the mechanic install the shift (encoder) motor onto my transfer case, and my taking apart the faulty shift motor unit, here is my take on the shifting process and what I suggest:

The shifter motor bolts onto the transfer case and the actual connection is a short shaft that comes from the transfer case that mates with shifter motor. The shifter motor is controlled by the Transmission Control Module (TCM). when you call for 2WD, 4WD, etc., the TCM tells the shifter motor to rotate that stub shaft to engage couplings, etc. that I imagine control splined shift collars, etc. The TCM does two things: It electrically releases a spring-applied brake and spins the shift motor that turns the stub shaft to the selected function (2WD HI or OR 4wd HI, etc.). A rotary position sensor tells the TCM when the correct function has been selected and the motor stops and the little spring-applied brake holds the shaft in the right place (Drive function).

Now, the new shift motor comes with a plastic tab holding it in Neutral position. The owner's manual tells how to put the transfer case in Neutral so the new shifter motor can be installed, but the mechanic that fixed my Tahoe simply took a wrench and turned the stub shaft until he reached Neutral, and then installed the new shifter motor unit.

I conclude from my experiences noted above, that you could remove the shifter motor, rotate the stub shaft to 2WD HI, and drive away. A BIG CAUTION here though; you must find away to lock the shaft in 2WD HI, because you don't have the little brake in the (now disconnected) shift motor unit to hold the shaft in position. Also, you will have to perform a short driving test to assure that have 2WD. If you are electrically and mechanically handy, or have a friend who is, you might be able to energize the brake and motor from an external 12 Volt source to do the shifting. Just don't energize the motor until you energize the brake to release it.

In short, it is possible to get back to 2WD, but please be careful to lock the shaft.

I hope all this helps.

Best of luck to you and please let us all know how you make out on this fix.

NIKT
  • I also have a 1999 Tahoe and have trouble getting into 4HI during the big East Coast Blizzard this weekend. It finally went in and now it will not go back to 2HI. When I hit the 2HI button, I can hear the motors underneath making noise and the relays in clicking behind the dash. The 2HI lights flash a few times and simply goes back to 4HI. It will not go into 4LO either. I tried warming the transfer case area and motors with a heat gun, no luck, Pulled the fuses as suggested above, no luck. Went back out after luch and now the lights on the selector are dead; fuses was blown. As soon as I intalled the new fuse it blew.

Just dropped it off at the local Chevy Dealer and I am impatiently waiting for the call. Based on the symptoms read in this thread and what I have described on my Tahoe, does it sound like the motors were locked up and now they just seized, causing the over-current?
    To: mwdaniel

Speaking not as an expert, it sounds like you diagnosed the problem correctly. I'm guessing the dealer may have to scan the TCC for trouble codes to see what else, if anything, may need repair. Your Tahoe is like my '99 Tahoe, and after 10-11 years, "stuff" just wears out.

Good luck on resolving you 4WD problem.

nikt
  • Well the dealer told me that they need to replace the encoder module behind the dash, that was going to be approx $700, if that did not solve it, they would have to replace the encoder motor, add another $700. There is no way I could spend that just to have 4wheel drive a few times a year. I had them lock it into 2 hi, they pulled the motor and disconnected the drive shaft, so I now have a 2 wheel drive Tahoe. Set me back a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks to all the thread posting out there.