Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Front End Noise

wonder2wonder2 Member Posts: 2
Our highlander had real loud front end noise, sounds like the thing is going airborne...noise level fluctuates with various speeds. The place that sold us our tires this year said it wasn't the tires - we were running on them for a few months, tread is still good and no uneven wear. They said it might be the front hubs/bearings. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Comments

• simon178simon178 Member Posts: 1
    We have a Canadian 2004 model and seemed to have similar problem before. We thought it was the acoustical design issue. We talked to the salesman and he suggested we move the front cross rail on the roof luggage to behind. The noise problem went away. He said it was the impact of wind on the front cross rail which was right on top of the front seats.
  • sr20b13sr20b13 Member Posts: 1
    What tires do you have. The Michelin tires that we have are really loud.
  • wonder2wonder2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Simon178 & sr20b13. We took it to the dealer and they confirmed it was a front wheel hub & bearings. Luckily, we were still within our warranty period and it was fixed free of charge. Just wanted to let all know that this is also a very strong possibility for other Highlander owners to consider.
  • mytoy4mytoy4 Member Posts: 4
    I used my wife's 2006 Toyota Highlander yesterday (I don't drive it much) and noticed a noise/vibration. The car has 14000 miles on it. Took it to the dealer and a service tech test drove it. He felt it was a wheel bearing because as he pulled the car to the left while driving, the noise stopped. When he pulled the car to the right, the noise level/ vibration didn't change. I have an appointment next week to get it fixed.
    Continuation of 5/5 noise/vibration. Got call back from dealer (Jack Safro Toyota) Problem was wheel bearing on front left wheel. After replacement there was still a noise. Recommended tire rotation (they were rotated at 10,000 miles). If the rotation doesn't fix the noise, the service tech recommends a front end alignment.
  • sirisenasirisena Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Highlander with 11500 miles, last month we took for Tire Rotate and Balance, since then when we drive there is a noise in the front, popping sound. We took back to Toyota dealer and they worked all day and state they can hear the noise when driving but can't find the resolution. Toyota dealer advised me bring again for service next week.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thank you. AJS
    My 2005 Highlander had a front end noise at 14000 miles (see previous messages from mytoy4). After replacing the left front wheel bearing, there was still a noise. The dealer replaced all four wheel bearings and that solved the problem.
  • tavutavu Member Posts: 2
    2005 HL Limited. 6cyl. I can hear a very slight grinding noise when advancing from a dead stop. I cannot hear any noise after that. Does not pull side to side when driving. On a side note the dashboard is a rattletrap. I'm concerned about the grinding noise though. Just bought it used 48,000 miles on it.
  • davenissdaveniss Member Posts: 1
    Tavu...Just curious if you ever identified your "grinding noise when advancing from a dead stop" with your Highlander. I have the exact same problem with my '01 HL. Thanks
    grinding noise on my 05 highlander was diagnosed as four bad wheel bearings. This sound was more appearant when changing lanes or turning the steering wheel left or right while driving. Dealer replaced all four bearings.....
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Bearings or CV joints...?

Four CV joints up front and grinding noise up front during turns, especially TIGHT turns, is standard symptom.
  • praudpraud Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 HL, 59,400 miles. I had a loud noise coming from the front end. The dealership replaced the bearing and hub.

This fell under the 5 yr 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. The dealership fixed for free. They said normally it would cost about 900 bucks!
This discussion has been closed.