Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    It's more effective the amount of space under the 2nd row of just about any other small car I know, which is zero. Hmmm....zero space under the 2nd row seats or some. I'll take the some. And I'd rather have the stuff UNDER the seats than under my feet!
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    The other day, before we got the optional cargo cover, my wife and I had to park our Fit at a park-and-ride lot of a train station, and as we were about to do so, we realized that we had a total of four attaches/bags that we did not want to take with us on the train. Because of the lack of the cargo cover at that time, we wondered how to hide our things. Turned out that we could stuff everything under the rear bench, even with the bars, which was rather nifty.
  • fitluverfitluver Posts: 198
    Thanks, Ken, definitely worth a try.

If you find it, could you let us know? (post a website with part number etc?)

Thanks if you can.
  • Seems to me I recall seeing accessory cargo nets to fit under the rear seats on one of the overseas web sites for the Fit/Jazz, but I can't find them now. Does anyone know about them? Can they be fitted to the USDM Fit? If so, is anyone importing them?
  • fitluverfitluver Posts: 198
    Seems to me I recall seeing accessory cargo nets to fit under the rear seats on one of the overseas web sites for the Fit/Jazz, but I can't find them now. Does anyone know about them? Can they be fitted to the USDM Fit? If so, is anyone importing them?

Let me think, lemme think....

Ran across this, this was cool....lol
    http://www.autoanything.com/truck-tents/60A2945A0A0.aspx

Hmmm....did you google it?

One was maxdax.com. I forget the other.
  • In another post I read that the cargo space with the seats down is closer to 60 cubic feet and not the 41.9 cu. ft. that the specs say. Can anyone tell me what the actual measurement in inches - the Length, Height and width of the back cargo space is with the seats up? The honda fit specs say it is 21.3 cubic feet.
    Thanks
  • The 21.3 cu ft is the volume up to the level of the seat backs, since Honda doesn't want to be held responsible for what might happen to people who load the cargo space above that level if they stop suddenly :surprise:. The actual dimensions have been discussed in several threads on this site. One is in the Honda Fit vs Suzuki Aero thread, message #8 (I don't know how to include links in a message yet). You should be able to find others with the Search Function, or just scrolling through the topic list.
  • Also check messages 50 to 53 in this very thread!
  • I almost put my 2 week old fit up for sale before I saw your post. I'm going to shop around body shops to get the seat moved back. The only thing I'm worried about is that the steering wheel will be too far forward after that. How are you doing with your modification after a month of driving?
    Should I consult Honda before moving the seat?

I'm missing my 91 civic hatchback!
    :cry:
    Not that it helps those of us outside of Japan much, but Honda back there sells something called the Lumbar Fit Support, here:

Lumbar Fit Support

It permanently shapes itself to the driver's back according to the unique shape of the driver. I wish I could have one here.
    One of my wife's clients had a huge box to transport. The client owns a Dodge Durango which was for some reason not available at that time, so my wife, with our Fit, offered to transport the box. My wife's client took one glance at the Fit and said, "Ain't no way the box gets in there." Well, lo and behold, our Fit swallowed the whole thing that needed to be carried. The client exclaimed, "Holy, this thing can carry more than my Durango!" I don't know about that, but it sure surprised the owner of the big Dodge that weighs nearly twice as much as our Fit!

In the same line of events, my wife was going out to lunch with three of her co-workers, two of whom are 6'3" and weigh at least 200 pounds each, and she offered to drive. The big guys took at look at the Fit and allegedly said, "Wait a minute. We can't go into this thing!" Both of them fit in the backseat no problem, however, and not only that, said to my wife, "This thing is rather comfortable back here." :)
  • "Ain't no way the box gets in there."

That's the same expression that an owner of a large pick-up gave me when I got to my car in the Home Depot parking lot with a number of 8-foot long 2x4s. Using utility and long mode I was able to fit everything in. Sure, my car was left with only one useable seat, but I was able to still close the hatch. ;)
  • haunmahaunma Posts: 3
    Regarding the comments last summer about the weird pedal angle and the disconnect between comfortable-distance-from-the-wheel vs. comfortable-distance-from-the-pedals: Now that you've had your Fit for another six months, could you give the rest of us a status report on this issue? Did you just get used to it? Keep the seat further back and arms straighter? Find a clever mechanical solution?

I had the opportunity to test-drive a Fit Sport MT last week and noticed my feet getting seriously uncomfortable after ~15 minutes behind the wheel. After scooting *way* back my feet were happier but I'm not sure I'd want to drive like that long-term; I like the wheel a lot closer. (Not two inches closer as someone else said; more like half a foot!) FWIW I'm 6'0 and 160 pounds. Coming from a 92 Ford Explorer, also a manual shifter.

I've pre-ordered a Fit Sport MT and probably have until April to change my mind. I like everything else about the car and would hate for this to be a deal-breaker... but, it is pretty fundamental!

I'd especially like to hear the experiences of manual-transmission drivers, as the whole pedal thing seems a lot more acute in that case.
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    I'm two hairs under 6 ft and about 175. I keep the seat all the way back, but I find that if I keep the seat back as far forward as it will go (pretty much straight up and down) then the distance to the wheel is fine. The window sill is at the perfect height for the elbow.

My legs hurt a bit at first too, but I'm used to it now. I think I had some muscles that weren't used to supporting the weight of my leg.
    shneor, I'm laughing because we obviously share many of the same criteria in evaluating cars. I'm an amateur astronomer too (12.5" truss-tube dob).

Shouldn't there be a fuse box where you can disable the circuit for the dome light? This worked like a charm on my '92 Explorer at star parties. Only drawback was that it also happened to erase the memory on the radio.
    Today I test-drove the same Sport MT again. This time I spent a good 15 min. in the parking lot first, testing various mitigations for the uncomfortable gas pedal. (BTW this vivid blue pearl Fit has been sitting on the lot at Honda Auto Center of Bellevue for over a week now---they might actually be ready to deal if you're interested. I already pre-ordered mine through another dealer.)

Bottom line: I've convinced myself that I can live with the odd ergonomics. Here's what I found:

1) Seat height *does* play a significant role for me. Sitting on a fat cushion I get a better angle on the pedals, and my knees can still fit under the wheel, at least at the highest tilt. Can't push this strategy too far, though, or the rearview mirror becomes a forward blind spot.

2) For me the problem is the accelerator, not the clutch. I need my right heel on the floor to modulate the throttle properly, so the too-vertical pedal in the Fit bends my foot too sharply upward => rapid fatigue. My clutch foot is fine because I'm used to moving the whole foot instead of pivoting at the ankle.

3) If I slide my right foot back until just the tips of my toes are at the lower edge of the accelerator, this is much more comfortable, but it doesn't feel secure---I have to consciously force myself to put my foot there instead of sliding it forward fully onto the pedal where it starts to hurt. I conclude that a longer, aftermarket pedal could solve this issue; it might be possible to improve the angle a bit, too, by shimming the lower attachment point of such a pedal/cover. Seems a reasonable DIY task.

4) Stuff that didn't work for me: Sliding the seat all the way back (gotta have some bend in my elbows, sorry); raising the floor below the pedals with a book (minor improvement, but not as effective as I'd hoped).

Has anyone tried aftermarket pedals yet? Any suggestions?
  • I've put about 150 miles on my new Fit, and I'm still trying to find a comfortable driving position. I'm a half inch over 6 feet tall with a 33" inseam.

The main problem is that the steering wheel is too far forward in relation to the pedals. With the seat moved all the way back where my legs can stretch out a little, I can't recline the seat at all without having to extend my arms fully to grasp the steering wheel. I like to have some bend in my elbows and at least a little recline for my back.

I've tried moving the seat forward but this exacerbates the other problem -- lack of thigh support on the seat cushion. Being closer to the pedals increases the vertical angle of my lower legs, which lifts them further off the seat. My legs then tend to splay outwards, with the outside of my lower right leg resting uncomfortably on the center console. The vertical angle is also uncomfortable for my right ankle, which requires the foot to bend unnaturally upward to conform with the angle of the gas pedal.

I'm on the verge of seriously regretting the purchase of this otherwise excellent vehicle. I've never had these problems in any other car and I'm scratching my head as to how Honda could have done so poorly on ergonomics.

I'm going to try using a wedge cushion that will support my thighs closer to the knee. This should keep my legs from splaying outward. If this works, I may integrate the cushion with a seat cover so I don't have to deal with placing the cushion every time I get in and out of the car. I also like the idea of shimming the gas pedal to reduce the angle.
  • mwqamwqa Posts: 106
    A test drive is very important with this car. I was lucky to be able to rent a Fit for a weekend, and found out that I couldn't get a comfortable seating position, either.

I've bought a second hand car, now. I'll be watching to see if they do anything to enhance the seating position, but as it is, I can't see myself buying a Fit. :cry:
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    You have to think of the Fit like an SUV because of the upright driving position. In an SUV or minivan, you pretty much sit upright, not leaning back like in an Accord or Civic. I think the reason folks are having a hard time getting comfortable is because they think they're driving a "low" car like a Civic or Accord versus a high car/minivan/suv. That's why the Fit has a high roof.

So pretent the Fit is an SUV/truck/minivan, in which case they're all designed to have you sit like you're in a chair, and you'll find that the steering wheel isn't so far away.
  • I understand that the seat is more upright than other hatchbacks, but that doesn't stop it being uncomfortable. I've been comfortable in SUV's. This is the only car that I have ever been in or driven where I am almost constantly aware of my slightly aching legs and feet. It seems to be a height thing, If you are under 5.8 or over 5.4 its the perfect car.
    I wish I had found this forum before I purchased my fit.