Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• ellenocellenoc Posts: 25
    You bet. The only reason that a car made it onto my Look At list was if the back seats went down in a way that made a flat floor for taking my dog (Rottweiler) and all her equipment to shows. The Fit was the first of 6 models on my list to look at and when I got to the dealer's I almost turned around and drove away because from the outside the car looked too small to be what I wanted. Imagine my surprise when I found that the fabric folding crate that I carry to shows tied to one side of the back not only fit, there was more room all around it than in my previous car (Subaru Impreza wagon).

Then I drove the Fit (Sport MT) and fell so in love it was hard to force myself to look at the other cars on my list. I did do that and probably didn't judge any of the others fairly. And then went back and got the Fit. That was 5,000 miles and 4 months ago and I'm still in love with the car. My back seats are never up. I have a foam pad covered with blankets on the back floor and the dog rides there. Foloded crate tied flat against driver's side in the back. Dog cart when I take it tied back against the hatch and shafts run along the passenger's side all along the back to the front and along the passenger's front door. Cooler and gear bag also all the way in the back against the hatch door. That still leaves plenty of room for the dog in the back and room on the front passenger seat and floor for even more.
  • kjaba1kjaba1 Posts: 10
    Thanks so much, Jacksan1 and Ellenoc, for your quick replies. You have not only answered my questions but also, if all goes well, will have saved me thousands of dollars on the purchase price and about fourteen extra miles per gallon by choosing the Fix over the Element. Such a deal!

Jacksan1, I'm intrigued by the pictures of that yellow cover the Golden Retriever is resting on; it looks as if it is designed for the Fit. Do you know if and where this cover is available for purchase?

Again, thanks to you both. I really appreciate your help.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    You're very welcome kjaba1. It's my pleasure.

You are talking about this product, correct?

http://www.honda.co.jp/dog/accessory/mat/

It's called the "Travel Dog" pet sheet mat. This is a dealer-option item in Japan. I have quickly run a search for it to see whether anyone is selling it in North America, but come up empty, which makes sense, since this new Fit has not been released yet.

I remotely recall seeing a product like this being advertised in one of those flight magazines (SkyMall), but I may be wrong.

If you really want this genuine Honda accessory tailor-made for the new Fit, you may wish to contact College Hills Honda and ask whether or not they would be willing to source one for you. I buy regularly from College Hills Honda, and they are good at sourcing JDM products.
    Yes, jacksan1, that appears to be it and I thank you again. Since the dimensions of the 2009 Fit are slightly different from the present model, you're probably quite right that the pet sheet mat may not be available for the American market until fall.

I have seen College Hills Honda mentioned in other chats; it must be a popular site and I'll give it a try. You have been a great help.
    Upon further research, I have learned that this Honda dog sheet mat is not really tailor-made for the Fit. Rather, they offer two (2) sizes, one for the kei-class cars (660cc) and the other for "regular" cars, like the Fit. It is adjustable to different interior sizes, apparently. In other words, if need be, this same product can be used in non-Honda cars as well.
    That's interesting. I could find nothing through College Hills Honda, so perhaps this Travel Dog is only available for the Japanese market. That would be too bad because there is doubtless a strong market here for something as useful and logical as this mat seems to be, what with the great number of Americans who like to cart their pooches around.
    If I were you, I would e-mail College Hills Honda and ask them to get this product. If there is a demand, they will consider it, and the first demand call has to come from somone. And that can be you. College Hills already has a supply chain open for other JDM Honda products, so it should not be a problem at all for them to source the dog-related specialized Honda JDM products so long as there is a call for them. Ask, and the door may be opened.
  • wgewge Posts: 16
    I was replacing a '90 Dodge Caravan that saw a lot of dog hauling in its day. I eliminated a number of possibilities, i.e. Nissan Versa, Toyota Prius and others, that didn't have the fold-flat rear seats and utility of the Fit. What sold me on the Fit was being able to put a dog crate in the back with the rear seats folded down with the crate door adjacent to the passenger-side rear door. The crate can be opened without hitting anything and the dogs can jump right in. There is still a great deal of room behind the crate for luggage, etc. The salesman was somewhat surprised when I asked for his help to see if the crate would fit, but he helped me load it in the showroom-floor Fit. We can haul our three Beagles in the Fit just fine and we should even be able to use the Fit as a vacation vehicle mit mutts.
    Your concern was mine exactly. I only looked at vehicles where the rear seats folded down absolutely flat. Although the seats did fold flat in the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (which I thought I'd like the most), the big gap in the floor behind the front seats wasn't inviting (and I didn't like the steering). The Scion had the same big gap in the floor behind the front seats and felt clunky to drive. I fell in love with the Fit from the first. My show dog is a Rottweiler, so she travels with the whole of the back end of the Fit as her crate and a folded fabric crate tied flat against the driver's side in the back to use at the show sites. I can fit her and all her equipment easily - there's more room than in my last car, a Subaru Impreza wagon.
  • elliejelliej Posts: 2
    The three drivers in our household, of different heights, are having the same problem with the angle of the accelerator. It causes the foot to remain unnaturally flexed and is extremely uncomfortable in a short amount of time. I've taken to driving with a rolled up towel or my purse under my right leg to adjust the angle but don't know how long I can tolerate this. An angled seat cushion relieves the problem with the right leg only to create discomfort with my left. Any other suggestions?
  • I have had my 2008 Honda Fit Sport since about October. I am finding a serious fault in the way the arm to leg ratio is worked out in the driver's seat. I find that when I put my seat back enough for my legs to be comfortable, I have to over-extend my arms to reach the steering wheel. The only way to have comfortable leg room and not have to over-extend my arms is if the seat is 90 degrees erect, which also isn't comfortable! I drive for a living, 14,000 miles since I bought the car and this is getting really uncomfortable. I have taken to driving with my hands at the bottom of the wheel (7 and 5 instead of 10 and 2). I am a regularly proportioned female. I have had two males also drive my car who reported a similar discomfort. Anyone else having this problem?
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I think the issue is that some folks with "low" cars like a Civic or Accord are used to stretching out their legs to the pedals, while the Fit's seating position is designed more like a minivan or SUV, where you sit more upright, like in a chair, with bent legs to the pedals. I think it's just a matter of getting used to this type of seating position. I found the Toyota Matrix to have a similar seat/pedal position. That being said, a seat height adjuster and telescoping steering would be nice. This type of seating/steering position is what keeps the Fit so short. Look how much longer a Civic is even though it doesn't have anymore space inside for passengers or cargo.
    While there is no "right" body proportion for a car, I agree with bobw3 that different cars make you sit in different ways. I am 6'0", 180 Lb, and have learned to actually slide the seat forward in my wife's Fit to be appropriately seated due to the very upright seating position that bobw3 talks about. We used to have a Civic also, and in that one, I was practically doing a Formula One driving position with legs outstretched. The Fit is very different from the Civic.

Having said that, I can believe that some people whose legs are very long could have a problem in the Fit in that they cannot reach the steering wheel if they adjust the seat to accommodate their legs. The telescoping steering column in the next-gen Fit should make a big difference there.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Haven't we heard enough about the driving position problems with the current US Fit, including an entire discussion in Town Hall, to make it clear that this problem is not just for people who are used to sitting in "low" cars, or who have very long legs, but is a general problem that affects many Fit owners... and people like me who would own a Fit right now except for this problem?

I am pretty normal sized for a US male--5'10", 32" inseam, pretty normal-length arms. I have exactly the same problem with the Fit that brittany described. Fortunately, I sat in the Fit several times and test-drove a couple of them before deciding that I would not be able to live with the driving position over time. It seems from what I've read in Town Hall, some Fit buyers are finding out after the purchase that the driving position doesn't suit them. And that's a shame, because not having a comfortable driving position is no fun.

The moral of the story; take the Fit for a LONNNNNG test drive before you buy--and have everyone who will drive it sit in the driver's seat and make sure it fits them. And consider that if it doesn't seem comfortable now, it probably won't get better with time.

I am crossing my fingers (very hard to do that while typing, btw) that the 2009 Fit will have a driving position that is better suited to more drivers--including "normal" sized drivers like me!
    And consider that if it doesn't seem comfortable now, it probably won't get better with time.

I think that just the opposite is true. If you're not used to a seating position, it can seem uncomfortable at first. I had an old Mazda RX-7 that seemed uncomfortable until I got used to its really low seating position. When I first got my Ford Freestyle, the sitting-in-a-chair seating took some getting used too, since my other two cars at the time were a Corolla and Mercury Cougar. Now I find the Freestyle comfortable.

During my test drives, I found the Matrix and Fit to both have seating positions that took some getting used to, as compared to the Nissan Versa and Mazda3 that felt comfortable right away. For me, a telescoping wheel would do the trick, since I've been in plenty of cars without height adjustments, which were still good.

Look in the Fit's long-term test blog on the Fit and you'll find most folks love the car. If the seating were really as bad as some posters say, then I'd think it would be more discussed in the blogs and in other reviews. Not saying that seating position isn't mentioned as an improvement area, but it's not that big of a deal for most drivers.

No car is perfect, but for me the less-than-perfect seating postion was outweighed by all of the other positive aspects of the car as compared to the competition.
    I'm not talking about getting used to sitting higher or lower than what one is accustomed to. I'm talking about the driving position being uncomfortable. I've owned cars with low seats, and some (like minivans) with much higher seats. I was able to adjust the seats in all of these cars to a comfortable position. That means, my arms aren't stretched out too far, my back is properly supported, my thighs are supported, the pedals are a comfortable reach, and the seat has overall good support for a long trip.

Consider that the reason most buyers don't complain about the Fit's driving position is that they did what I did: they tried the car out before they bought it, and it was comfortable enough for them. Most of those who found it uncomfortable (like me) didn't buy one. Some didn't drive it, or drive it enough, or bought it thinking they could live with it. I have seen some of their posts in Town Hall.

Other cars have poor driving positions for many people. One example is the 2003-8 Corolla. Read practically any review on the car and you'll see this problem mentioned prominently. Obviously it wasn't a major problem for everyone, since the car sold in large numbers. But it was enough of a problem for me to strike it off my "consider" list the first time I took it for a long drive, and was bad enough that Toyota addressed the problem in the 2009 redesign--just as Honda is doing on the 2009 Fit, by adding a telescopic steering wheel (if not a height adjuster). The Corolla still isn't great in this department, IMO, but now it's tolerable at least. I hope the 2009 Fit will be at least "tolerable" also.
  • I have to agree with you. I have had this car going on 9 months and 14,000 miles. I think at this point my body would have adjusted already to a "different type" of seating as opposed to this type which I find ergonomically flawed. I absolutely love my car. And after reading the posts last night about how it compared to mini-van seats I tried to apply that thinking as drove for a couple hours today. I have to tell you it just doesn't work for me. I have to sit at a complete right angle in order to have any bend in my arms. And by right angle I mean a REAL 90 degrees not a 75 or 80! If my seat is angled back even "one or two clicks" I can't even comfortably adjust the radio. I guess I will just have to grin and bear it until the 2009 comes out. I am happy to see that they are adding a telescopic wheel. This is the only problem I have encountered and it would not cause me to write a bad review. It's just a constant frustration right now. Maybe I'll just have to get some crazy platform shoes!!
  • protrackprotrack Posts: 6
    With everyone having the same awquard problem of levitating ones foot on the gas pedal I plan on making a foot rest that will allow the foot to rest in position while alowing it to pivot for pedal movement. Although with your added problem of a fused ankle a redesgned pedal and lever will be needed.
    Daytona Bob :shades:
    I'm still not sure why some of you put the seat so far back that you can't reach the radio or find that your arms are so straight to reach the wheel. You can't just bend your legs a little more?
    I hear what backy and others are saying. While I personally do not have a comfort issue, had I been an inch taller or shorter or wider or narrower, it could have been a different ball game for me as well. Some cars allow more adjustments than others, and the Fit as it stands today is definitely in the "others" category. The bottom line is that the current USDM/CDM Fit does not permit much in the way of seat/steering column adjustments, except for the very basic ones. As such, you have to fit into a Fit, whereas other cars may fit you.
    Maybe you don't mind not having any thigh support when you drive a car. I find that uncomfortable. I don't have to put up with it on any other car I own and I'm not going to put up with it in the future. The Fit is a great little car, but not the only car out there.
    Seems like everybody's different. Cars that have what you call thigh support drive me crazy -- I feel like the circulation is being cut off in the back of my thighs. One of the things that really struck me that I liked in the Fit was the fact that the seat cushion wasn't pressing uncomfortably into the back of my thigh.
    I agree... I don't like the seat pressing uncomfortably into my thighs either.
  • elliejelliej Posts: 2
    Yes Bob,

Sign me up for one. I adore my Fit except for that problem. Mine is a manual transmission so I can have the clutch or the gas pedal but not both.

EJ
  • Test drove an 08 civic ex-l and after 20 minutes the side seat bolster was digging a hole in my rib ( I lean slightly to the right when I drive). Does anyone have this problem with the Fit?
  • fitforfitfitforfit Posts: 1
    I am an artist and I do exhibits regularly. I need cargo space to carry my paintings and I am considering the Honda Fit. Would I be able to carry paintings of 60 inches long by 48 inches wide or what is the maximum I could carry? :)
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    well I measured for you. with the rear seats folded flat, the front to back distance of the cargo area is either 54 or 57 inches (bad memory!). That's to the edge of the folded down rear seat. If you scoot up the front seats a few inches then yes you could get 60" back there.

The most narrow part of the rear is between the rear wheel wells. This is 40" if memory serves. And the shortest height is where the rear shoulder harness for the rear middle seat resides in the roof..that height is 35". So you may have some trouble. I suppose you could put your stuff on an angle to get in there, but if it's valuable art then you'd probably want some sort of stand or harness to hold is diagonally like that.

Plus, the rear hatch opening is more narrow than the cargo; I should have measured the diagonal of the hatch opening for you.
  • sbailey64sbailey64 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am seriously considering buying a fit. Could you measure the maximum height available in the cargo area with the back seats down. I am trying to find a fuel efficient car that is high enough (interior wise) to allow me to transport my bicycle in the car with front wheel off. I need around ~40 inches.

Thanks,

Steve
  • nun1983nun1983 Posts: 1
    hi, i'm writing in regards to the a/c problems ....i bought my honda fit may 2, 2008. i have not used my a/c since i bought it .....i recentky used it thusrday 6/3/08 for a short period due to the fact that ( like everyone else) the air was not coming out like it should of been ...lets just say it was alot cooler to have the windows down then to have the a/c on and i came home and my car sound like it was over heating ...it made the sizzling nosies ......then o saturday i decided to turn on my a/c to see if it would run any different ....well nothing but hot hair came out ...turned it up high made sure that the knobs was turned all the way to blue lol....put it on full blast and and the a/c wouldnt get cool .....so i took it the a honda car dealership and they said that a tiny rock or from the dubree that was up there ...mind you i have only had my car for 2 months and only 2,000 miles ...please if anyone is having the same problem ...please let me know
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    For my 07 Fit Sport, the recirculate does provide cooler air vs the open vent. When you have the vents open, especially on a muggy and humid day, you will feel the humidified air mixed in with the a/c air. Maybe your vent is either not opening or closing?

To begin with, the Honda Fit a/c is not strong. On a 75 degree day, having it on 1 is not enough. I usually switch from 2 to 1 to 2 to 1 just to get the right mix and this is with the temp gauge at max blue.

My old 2005 Mazda 3i with beige interior had an unacceptable a/c (known issue). On a hot day and at max fan speed/max blue temp, it blows just cool air (not cold).