Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• It's not a whether I think about this vehicle as a low-slung coupe or upright mini-SUV. The plain fact of the matter is that I am unable to find a comfortable driving position with any combination of the three variables:
    1) sliding the seat forward or back
    2) adjusting the seatback from slight recline to fully upright
    3) adjusting the tilt on the steering wheel

I think 2tallformyfit is probably right. The ergonomics of the front seat are suitable only for short drivers. There's plenty of headroom, but the front of my thighs do not rest on the seat cushion and my right leg rests uncomfortably on the center console. This is especially exacerbated when I move the seat forward to be closer to the steering wheel. I can live with the seatback fully upright, but that still doesn't overcome the faulty geometry. Honda really needed to offer a telescoping steering wheel and an angle adjustment on the seat cushion, or change the geometry altogether.

I haven't given up yet. I'll begin fashioning a wedge cushion today, despite the zero degree weather here in Chicago. Tomorrow I'll be preoccupied with a sporting event.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Obviously for SOME folks the seating position is uncomfortable, but if you look back at the earlier posts, you'll find several 6'+ folks owing Fits and not complaining about the seating position. But like any car, you really have to do a long test drive, and if something doesn't feel right, do another test drive. But to say that the Fit is suitable only for short drivers is incorrect based on the tall drivers posting here that are comfortable.

For sure there are 2 tall drivers who can't get comfortable!
  • I wouldn't blanketly state that the front seats are suitable only for short drivers. I'm only 5'4", and could not find a comfortable driving position, either. After 6 months of fighting with it, I gave up, and sold it to get a 2007 CR-V.

The upright seating position may be more like an SUV, but the footwell doesn't have the vertical depth to fully implement the conversion. So, from the waist up, I was driving an SUV, but from the waist down, I was still in a subcompact. It just didn't work for me, and sadly, I had to move on.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    if this many folks, of different heights and dimensions, have experienced trouble finding a comfortable (or even just tolerable)fit then the problem lies with the vehicle, and not the driver(s). Honda may have eliminated most, if not all, of the problem if it had offered a telescoping wheel, and more seat adjustments.

It is also my opinion that if you have to go through this much trouble to find a comfortable fit, then it is not the right vehicle for you. I doubt many people would buy a pair of shoes or a jacket if comfort were an issue. Why would you compromise on something as expensive as a car?
  • dgfitdgfit Posts: 8
    I agree that the seats can be a problem....regardless of height evidently. The seats are ok even for trips of 12-14 hours like I have done in the fit....but you never seem to acheive a really comfortable position during the ride...it is ok but not in the 'really comfortable ' range like I have been able to do in other smaller cars such as the echo or civic. The other downside of the front seating is the consistent ' sloshing ' noise made at a certain point of the gas tank fill close to full but not quite. Again another 'little thing' that seems should be better on a 5 y.o. design...............................
  • So after about 6 months from my original thread I can happily report that the ergonomics of the car are much more comfortable. I think that there are three factors to the improvement:
    1) My Seat Cushion. I bought a Walmart seat cushion for about $20 that is made of molded silicone in a removable pillow-case type mesh. It's very comfortable and firm without the "sweat factor." I can move it around as needed and it provides the added thigh support I needed.
    2) Pedal Covers. I bought peadal covers at AutoZone for about $15 and installed them with zipties. Not very elegant, but if you do it right it is more secure than the screws they come with and totally removable if necessary. The covers extend the bottom lip of the pedals down a few inches so I can rest my heel on the floor and not have to drive with just my toes.
    3) Multiple floor mats. I bought floormats from Walmart and stacket them on eachother to raise the floor about an inch. In comination with the other improvments, the driving position is quite comfortable now. My muscles have also adjusted to the ergonomics, so I'm sure that helps too, but I don't regret purchasing the Fit for a minute now that this problem is resolved. It takes a little work to get it right, but its worth it. I've taken some very long drives without any big problems other than the normal "car fatigue". Of course, this is not to say that I'd prefer the Fit over a minivan or other long-range cruiser car but it certainly isn't the problem it used to be. Hope this helps!
  • fitluverfitluver Posts: 198
    Hi there, just got my fit and I tell ya I am having a heckuva time getting it into refresh mode.

So, whats the trick?

I have been scooting front seat as far forward as I can get it and then tilting the front seat backwards and down to mee the other but the bar that holds the headrest (which I take off to attempt this) seems to be prohibiting the downward movement.

If there is a trick, someone please help because I cannot get it flat/flush!
  • You need to tilt the rear seat back to it's lower latch position. Lift up on the latch on the rear seat-back near the headrest as if you were putting the rear seats into the floor, but instead of bringing the seat down toward the front of the car, push toward the back. The whole seat will move about 2", and you'll be able to put the front seat all the way down for refresh mode. Hope this helps.
    -Matt
  • fitluverfitluver Posts: 198
    You need to tilt the rear seat back to it's lower latch position. Lift up on the latch on the rear seat-back near the headrest as if you were putting the rear seats into the floor, but instead of bringing the seat down toward the front of the car, push toward the back. The whole seat will move about 2", and you'll be able to put the front seat all the way down for refresh mode. Hope this helps.
    -Matt

Thanks to you Matt, I have now successfully put the seats into every possible configuration. :)

YAY!

It did indeed go flush once I reclined the back seat.

It wasn't clear in the owners manual to me at all, or perhaps I just didn't get the back seat reclined as far as it will go.

Thanks again, you are a lifesaver!
  • Do you know if someone have picture of seat track extenders?

I have the same problem, any good position for long drive. When i haved purchase my FIT sport, the drive test was not long.and now it's a problem for me. I want keep my car for a long time but if i cant find a solution for position of the driver seat i dont keep this car
    Thank's
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    er, which front wheel of the Fit are you proposing to remove, and why ? Doesn't that make it a bit of a pig to drive ? Is it safe ?

Ooops, sorry. You meant the bike's front wheel. :blush:
  • traughtraugh Posts: 3
    Holds a full size (7/8) string bass, amplifier, music stands and two passengers. Nuff said?
  • HOw easy to install coverking seat covers in the fit? Can a complete amateur do it?
  • bmp956bmp956 Posts: 4
    I've been lurking here for the 5 MONTHS (that's right folks, the world's most patient car buyer here!) it took me to finally take delivery today. Considering my last brandy-new vehicle was a 1980 Ford Van I figured what the heck is nearly half a year in the grand scheme of things. Rode my bike up to get it, thankfully the snow here in Jersey finally quit last night, and I can honestly say the picture they have in the brochure is probably one of those bikes I remember as a kid at the circus with a bear on it. My roadie is a 56, basically a medium sized frame, and with the front wheel removed the rear still protruded a good 4" out the door. So utilo-mode it was. Definitely less of a struggle than stuffing it in my Eagle Talon.

After my experience I don't see how it would be possible to not remove the front wheel, which takes all of 5 sec. with a quick-release skewer, which I'm pretty sure ALL real bikes have now. The exception is probably *#?!Mart bikes. But why someone would put their personal safety at risk on one of those is beyond me. To each his own, I guess.
  • jethadenjethaden Posts: 36
    Yes, it is quite easy. They give you an overly detailed instruction manual. The only thing I did not like about mine is that they follow the Honda pattern on the seats, which makes for some tight sewing angles on the neoprene panels. See my pictures I posted ages ago when I bought mine, shortly after they released the FIT covers. coverking seat covers
  • I wish that I'd found this site before I bought my Fit last week, I'd have test driven for a longer time. I love everything else about the car, but I just can't get comforable.

Do you have to have the seat shifted back at the Honda dealership? About how much does this cost to do? How long does your car have to be in the shop?

(I also have long arms and think I could cope with being farther from the steering wheel.)
  • danboudanbou Posts: 3
    I have made this modification since 2 week now and i LIKE my position for driving. I take only 2.5 hrs, 15$ for steel and 5$ for bolts, lock and nut. My seat is 2 inch more up and 4 inch more more back. Enough for have a lot of ajustement . I have ask my dealership in first, but nobody want do that, reason security?? My modification is very good without any modification on original track.
    I happy now! :)
  • How did you do it???? My back hurts just thinking of getting in my fit. Did you have to move the steering wheel forward as well?
    :confuse:
  • cfbendercfbender Posts: 3
    I picked up my new Sport Automatic last week, and am enjoying it very much. This morning after my commute I opened the driver side door to get out and noticed a white elastic cord, about 6" long, protruding from between the door panels, along the door edge by the hinges. It comes out from between the interior moulding and the door metal, and is about half way between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the door. I tried giving it a little tug, but it didn't budge.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be attached to, and why it popped out all of a sudden? I hope it is a minor thing, and I can just neatly snip it off, but thought I see if anyone has other ideas first.

Thanks
  • I first noticed mine a couple months ago, although it protrudes from the bottom of the door through a small gap in the door panel. I know that gap is supposed to be there for condensation, but I have no idea what that elastic is for, or comes from. I've been hesitant about snipping it also, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything to do so... I suppose the only way to really find out would be to remove the door panel, and then secure that loose end with some tape.

~Marc