Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• hey, actually the Fit in Japan do have seat adjustment as options...it also has many other things that people are complaining about the current Fit that we have in US
    http://www.honda.co.jp/Fit/equipment/index.html

I guess they may introduce those options next year or so or may be not at all~ :confuse:
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    I have driven a JDM Fit with a seat height adjuster. It does not adjust much. Maybe for some people every little adjustment would help, so I will not say that it is useless. But I could tell very little difference. The catalog says it provides a 30mm adjustment. It didn't feel like that.
  • ardubardub Posts: 3
    hey kagedude,

Just read your whole story and I'm feeling for you man. You must have my kinda luck. I picked up my brand new Fit last Tuesday after a 3 week wait. Was very excited to get it. The very next morning, I'm on my way to work in the first snow-storm of the season only to discover the heater doesn't work. Fans don't come on, A/C indicator doesn't light, nada. I had the iPod accessory installed so I started wondering if they just forgot to hook some wires back up or something (anybody know if they have to take the radio out to install the iPod accessory?).

Anyway, to make a very long story short... 2 bad experiences with the service dept later and I finally decided to take it to an entirely different dealership. I don't think I'd trust the original service dept with my lawnmower let alone my brand new Fit. (Yup, got the same scratches you describe, and at first they told me they were going to rip the a/c switch that I needed out of a Fit on the showroom floor... which ALREADY HAD A 'SOLD' SIGN IN IT!)

You know, when the service tech starts spinning the volume to test the fans not coming on, that should have been my initial signal that I had some cause for concern. (I said, "uhhh, that's the radio". He said, "Oh, I'm not very familiar with these new cars." D'oh!!!!)

Anyway, just got it back from the other dealership who cleared the red SRS light (par for the course, my original dealership forgot to hook the airbag sensors back up after working on the a/c) and all seems to be well for now.

The interesting thing about this whole experience has been how keen the sales staff were to make sure I gave them the highest marks on a survey that apparently Honda is going to be calling me about soon. They showed me the list of questions before I even picked up the car to make sure there wasn't anything on there that I couldn't give them highest marks for. I jokingly referred to the last question which goes something like "The car was delivered without any problems" and said "guess we'll see how that turns out." Apparently I jinxed myself. But interestingly, after the first problem they still kept asking me to look past the problem and give them highest marks even on "question #9". After the second problem, they didn't mention it again. But I got the impression that the survey results are extremely important to the dealership. My two sales guy were so awesome, I really hate to have them get dinged by my answer to question #9, especially since it was their service dept that really foiled the whole thing. I'd give Sales 5 out of 5, but really have to give their service department a big fat zero.
  • Kagedude, thanks for sharing your sad story. And thanks Hungarian83 for posting that electronic manual. I picked up my new sport manual Fit on Saturday Oct. 21, and have been loving it. BUT, yesterday, one week, one day and about 500 miles later, I developed the exact same AC button problem (button not staying engaged). And of course today was unseasonably warm....
    Why, why, why.... when I have a basic, no-frills '93 Civic in my driveway with basically the same push-button AC, which has NEVER had a problem?!
    I will need to take it to a different dealer than where I bought it, as I picked it up from a dealership about 2 hours away (actually found one on the lot!) Thanks to your story, I now know to ask whether they have a tech who knows something about Fits (but will they be honest in answering?) and stress that I will HAVE a FIT(!!) if my dash is messed up. I have printed out the manual with the expanded diagrams and will take it. I am really disturbed and worried now - my dash is PERFECT right now - no rattles, no gaps. I had thought Hondas, especially made in Japan, were a lot better than this. I hope someone from Honda looks at these forums once in a while. I will definitely be calling national Honda customer service to complain. :(
  • fitluverfitluver Posts: 198
    After the second problem, they didn't mention it again. But I got the impression that the survey results are extremely important to the dealership. My two sales guy were so awesome, I really hate to have them get dinged by my answer to question #9, especially since it was their service dept that really foiled the whole thing. I'd give Sales 5 out of 5, but really have to give their service department a big fat zero.

I really like my sales guy. I also am casually in contact with the dealership president outside of the dealership. I hope that counts for something. As of yet I have my housemate who had a CRX who reports very good service dept with his previous issues/maintenance.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

My sales guy had a plaque on his wall about his "Fit certification". Hopefully by the time my fit gets in they can at least install the floor mats without tearing up the carpet.

But all of this reading does alot for me. I am more then willing to pay msrp because I know they make little initial profit off of the car. They didnt try to jack me up, I didnt try to talk them down. I am happy with msrp.

So what I will do upon delivery is make sure that they havent knocked, dinged, scratched, or screwed anything up. I know better what to keep my eyes out for.

Thanks to all so far who have contributed to my education.

Lets just hope that if they are sloppy about anything, that I can at minimum get them down on price of my car. If they are horrible errors, I might have to look elsewhere but I really want this car!

Take care all. And good luck with ongoing problems.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Hopefully, if you bring them the diagram and have them follow it step by step, you should be fine. With mine, I think the initial reinstallation might have broke or messed up the B or C clips.

Oh yeah, if you need the A/C on, you can set it to defogger setting. You will still have the vent on the driver and passenger side. That was my workaround while waiting for the part for 2 weeks.

Good luck!
    I've been to Honda service so many times I actually know them all by their first names. :P

Sad but with all the cars I've owned, my previous Acura TSX and Honda Fit seems to be the ones giving me so much problems and the most dealer trips and those surveys they send a day after their non-service are really aggravating.
  • ardubardub Posts: 3
    >> Hopefully by the time my fit gets in they can at least install the floor mats without tearing up the carpet.

Yeah, I bought the floor mats too -- but they didn't "install" them. They just gave me the hardware to do it myself (although for some reason still charged the $100 or so for the install.) I recall the MSRP for the mats being $109 or so on the Honda website, not including installation, which came to $209 as I recall from the dealership. Nice. :(

>> Thanks to all so far who have contributed to my education.

Yeah, ditto. This forum was a major factor in my research too. Overall, problems and all, I have to say I'm quite happy with the Fit itself.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    why would floor mats need to be installed? Don't you just lay them in there?
  • You have to cut out holes through the carpet (and the foam below it) and then install the plastic hooks which will hold the floor mats in place. This procedure goes for the two front ones, and the right side for the back seat.

It's not too complicated, but definitely the most work I have ever done putting floor mats into a car. :)
    Hopefully, if you bring them the diagram and have them follow it step by step, you should be fine. With mine, I think the initial reinstallation might have broke or messed up the B or C clips.

Like I said hopefully they will know by then with all the other Fits to work on just how to set up the floor mats. I dont have AC button problems. I dont even have the car! lol

Oh yeah, if you need the A/C on, you can set it to defogger setting. You will still have the vent on the driver and passenger side. That was my workaround while waiting for the part for 2 weeks.

Good luck!

Good to know and thanks! I feel lucky tho, I get to go thru the entire breakin period without having to use the AC.
    I've been to Honda service so many times I actually know them all by their first names.

Sad but with all the cars I've owned, my previous Acura TSX and Honda Fit seems to be the ones giving me so much problems and the most dealer trips and those surveys they send a day after their non-service are really aggravating.

I had absolutely horrible service and horrible problems with my mazda when I first bought it. I cant believe it ever made it to 175K miles cuz it was such a POS when I first got it. When I went thru with the shredder I decided to toss all those letters to mazda central telling them how bad the service was.

I am hoping the honda dealer is a gem. So far, so very good.

Wish me luck!

If not there are two more within half hour radius.
    Just to give another opinion, I'm 5'7 and my wife is 5'5", and we both think the driving position is fine. For me, one of the keys is the cruise control and having an automatic. When I test drove the manual, it was difficult finding a good position for my feet for shifting, but then for me when you're in a chair-like seating position, it feels strange pushing the clutch straight back...almost like you're kicking the clutch. But anyway we wanted the automatic because it's better for the highway cruising, and we wanted the cruise control. With the auto in the Sport mode, the pedal position isn't as critical, and I found that I could get a comfortable spot, and on long highway drives I'll use the cruise control. But if you can't get a good position, then I'd go for the Versa because you can adjust the height.
    Okay. Just came back from the dealer and they batted 1-3.

1. HVAC temp knob dim spot at 1:00 position - I will have to find out tonight if any change but as per them, they can't fix it. As per their notes, "Special order knob. Replaced the knob for the HVAC control for the heat. Tech noticed there is 1 lightbulb on the control and there is a piece of plastic on the control at the 12:00 position going down to about 9-3 causing a shadow". If that was true, then why was the dim spot not there before? Would you guys be able to verify to see if its me not noticing this before?

2. Dashboard Center Panel - They are still going by the "commercially acceptable" finding. I told them that they had 1 Fit on the lot and we can compare but they seem to ignore my request. I asked a comparison the last time too with a Fit on the lot and that was ignored as well.

3. Rattle coming from top of the front center vents - From their notes, "tech re-secured the bolts and reset the panel. Also installed foam tape behind the area". Hey, the tech actually fixed this one. The car sounds like its brand new again albeit 6 mos old. At least, this is making me love my Fit again. :blush:

I'll check tonight for the light and see.
  • Glad to hear that there is some good news regarding your Fit. As for item 1, I just checked in my completely dark garage. The light seems to remain constant from full cold to full heat, except for a very small piece of plastic around the 1:00 position. It is not really noticeable when actually looking at the knob (you have to really concentrate on the light), and I first notice it when I saw the shadow in this picture. Does the shadow on your car cover a larger area than what I see?

You are very perceptive, as I seriously have never noticed this shadow before today. :)

Here is what the temperature knob in my car looks like. Not the best picture as it was done with my cell phone camera, but nevertheless it should do the trick:

Going by your picture, your 1:00 dim spot is a lot lighter and less noticeable than mine. I will try to take a pic tonight to see. I do have over 16K miles already on my car so maybe the "normal" 1:00 spot is now becoming more noticeable.

How did I notice? I really don't know. It could have started when I kept looking at the dash panel misalignment, then trying to figure out where the rattle was coming from. I guess I kept zoning in on the area. :P

Thanks again! So its looking like I'm down to 1 problem left which at this point is kinda moot. I'm thinking I can live with it to preserve the fixed rattle issue on my car.
    Our Fit (Sport AT) is my wife's primary vehicle, and she is 5'2". I am 6'0". We were initially concerned about the seat height for my wife, especially for the fact that the U.S.-spec Fit's seat did not height-adjust. However, after driving 500 miles over the weekend, she reported that the seating position was not only fine but very comfortable for her. This (seat height adjuster) was one point that the Versa SL had over the Fit, so what a relief that it worked out for my wife.

By the way, I mirror you so in so many posts, bobw3, that I feel as though I have found my long-lost twin. ;)
  • I am 5'7", had a hip resurfacing last year, and find the seat height is fine for trips around town and highway driving under 2 hours. For longer trips, I use a small pillow to get my hips heigher than my knees. Unfortunately at the height, the rearview mirror creates a blind spot so I only do this on the highway. The blind spot would be a problem with seat height adjuster.

I drive a SS AT and would definitely buy it again.

Kathleen
    Today I was in the backseat of the Fit with my 2yr old daughter watching a DVD on a portable player while waiting for my wife who was in the doctor's office when I notice the amount of space UNDER the 2nd row. The 2nd row is up on legs that fold forward when the seat folds flat, but when the 2nd row is up, there is a lot of space for all sort of things, especially when you have kids.
  • crimsonacrimsona Posts: 153
    Well, that space is obvious since you need to fold the legs in tall mode anyway...

Not terribly effective IMO, since the bars get in the way, and it prevents you from folding it flat later.
    It's more effective the amount of space under the 2nd row of just about any other small car I know, which is zero. Hmmm....zero space under the 2nd row seats or some. I'll take the some. And I'd rather have the stuff UNDER the seats than under my feet!
    The other day, before we got the optional cargo cover, my wife and I had to park our Fit at a park-and-ride lot of a train station, and as we were about to do so, we realized that we had a total of four attaches/bags that we did not want to take with us on the train. Because of the lack of the cargo cover at that time, we wondered how to hide our things. Turned out that we could stuff everything under the rear bench, even with the bars, which was rather nifty.
    Thanks, Ken, definitely worth a try.

If you find it, could you let us know? (post a website with part number etc?)

Thanks if you can.
  • Seems to me I recall seeing accessory cargo nets to fit under the rear seats on one of the overseas web sites for the Fit/Jazz, but I can't find them now. Does anyone know about them? Can they be fitted to the USDM Fit? If so, is anyone importing them?
    Seems to me I recall seeing accessory cargo nets to fit under the rear seats on one of the overseas web sites for the Fit/Jazz, but I can't find them now. Does anyone know about them? Can they be fitted to the USDM Fit? If so, is anyone importing them?

Let me think, lemme think....

Ran across this, this was cool....lol
    http://www.autoanything.com/truck-tents/60A2945A0A0.aspx

Hmmm....did you google it?

One was maxdax.com. I forget the other.
  • In another post I read that the cargo space with the seats down is closer to 60 cubic feet and not the 41.9 cu. ft. that the specs say. Can anyone tell me what the actual measurement in inches - the Length, Height and width of the back cargo space is with the seats up? The honda fit specs say it is 21.3 cubic feet.
    Thanks
  • The 21.3 cu ft is the volume up to the level of the seat backs, since Honda doesn't want to be held responsible for what might happen to people who load the cargo space above that level if they stop suddenly :surprise:. The actual dimensions have been discussed in several threads on this site. One is in the Honda Fit vs Suzuki Aero thread, message #8 (I don't know how to include links in a message yet). You should be able to find others with the Search Function, or just scrolling through the topic list.
  • Also check messages 50 to 53 in this very thread!
  • I almost put my 2 week old fit up for sale before I saw your post. I'm going to shop around body shops to get the seat moved back. The only thing I'm worried about is that the steering wheel will be too far forward after that. How are you doing with your modification after a month of driving?
    Should I consult Honda before moving the seat?

I'm missing my 91 civic hatchback!
    :cry:
    Not that it helps those of us outside of Japan much, but Honda back there sells something called the Lumbar Fit Support, here:

Lumbar Fit Support

It permanently shapes itself to the driver's back according to the unique shape of the driver. I wish I could have one here.