Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki SX4 Crossover

Comments

• The more I research on this car, the more I want it. I just looked at a crachtest that was done on the 2009 mini cars like the SX4. They compared the SX4, MINICOOPER, FOCUS, ELANTRA, ASTRA, PTCRUSER, MATRIX, HHR. The SX4 came out in the top choices getting a excellent mark for the front and lateral impact test. Got weak for rear impact, but came out on top position together with the Minicooper and Focus. If you want to look at this... http://tva.canoe.ca/emissions/je/tests/50711.html or http://medias.tva.ca/2009/04/02/2621.pdf
    have fun! :)
  • mtenamtena Posts: 58
    We've been thinking about this vehicle for a couple of months and appreciate reading about owner experiences. We're also considering the 2010 Toyota Prius and 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback. We like the Suzuki's look, AWD capabilities and low price, but we have concerns about gas mileage (considering the small size of the SX4), and to some extent, the dealer network.

Our Seattle-area dealer (actually way out in the 'burbs) seems to be running low on the automatic version of the 2009 crossover, and that's what we want. We might end up waiting a few months and checking out the 2010 with the CVT, but we still plan to test drive a 2009 this weekend.

Suzuki Expands Lineup With 2010 SX4 Sportback
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,973
    My wife looked at Mazda 3's on her lunch hour yesterday. The hatch is nice but it has the bigger engine so the mpg is similar to the SX4.
  • provostyprovosty Posts: 1
    Thanks to all who have posted here. You've been a great help for me.
    Now my 2 bits: I've owned a 2009 SX4 Tech package crossover for 9000 miles. What a pleasant surprise for $15,000! Not one problem. Not one rattle. Smooth and zippy performance. Outstanding traction in the snow in Salt Lake City last winter. My daughter drives this one mostly, but I like it so much, after shopping around and comparing to Honda, Toyota, Subaru, VW, etc. AGAIN, I'm buying another one for myself this weekend. Clearly the most performance, reliablility, and features available for the money. I don't know how resale will turn out, but I intend to keep these cars a long time, so less of an issue. 5 stars.
  • I bought a 2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover Touring 3 weeks ago. I cannot recommend it to my worst enemy. The fuel economy is horrible. It has a very small gas tank...expect to refuel every 4-5 days. The airbag service light came on last week. It is in the shop now...getting a new passenger seat....this is supposed to fix the problem. However, other forums report that the problem continues long after the seat is replaced. This is not a new, different Suzuki....it's reputation has not changed at all. This is one of the worst car decisions I have ever made. I'm already planning to get rid of it asap.
  • perry99perry99 Posts: 43
    So why did you buy the car? The gas rating is published. Many have posted about the lower-than-other-similarly-sized-cars mileage results here. The size of the gas tank is not a secret and is available in all the literature and online resources. Instead of talking about your own experience with the airbag light, you talk about others' comments on forums. How about waiting until you get the car back to see if the problem is fixed before posting here? This forum should be about problems and results you can attest to, not the stories of others.You also say it's not a new, different Suzuki. From what? You don't specify what you're talking about. Starting with the 2008 model year the SX4 is in fact a new, different Suzuki from ones beforehand.I'm sorry you're not pleased with the car, but the mileage and gas tank size information were available to you before you bought the car, and you still don't know if the airbag problem is going to be ongoing. Hardly sounds like reason to suddenly think this is such a horrible car.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    My dear irate sir...try to calm down. When you bought the car, the expected mileage was printed in big numbers on the window sticker. The mileage is actually quite good for an AWD car...you will be hard pressed to find any other car with AWD and all the features this one has that gets better mileage. And if it was stellar mpg you wanted, why did you choose an SX4? The 2007 manual transmission's gearing pulled almost 3500 revs at highway speeds, but the 2008 and 2009 models now operate under 3000 which has helped mileage a bit. If Suzuki would add a sixth gear (or five to the automatic) highway mileage would be a bit better.

And you have an airbag service light come on, which causes you to abandon all hope? I have had my 2008 for a year and a half, and nothing at all has needed adjustment or repair. That has been most people's experience with the SX4. But you are right to get rid of it ASAP. You obviously do not like this car, and thus it will never do right by you. Next time around, make a list of the things you must have as well as what you won't put up with, and then research your purchase so that you don't end up buying a car you won't like. Good luck.
  • mtenamtena Posts: 58
    If I'm not mistaken, the AWD SX4's posted mileage is similar to that of the Toyota Matrix AWD.
  • kennybeeakkennybeeak Posts: 21
    The AWD vehicle with the best mileage is the Ford Escape Hybrid. But it costs about $11,000 more than the Suzuki SX-4. Even with what I assumed to be a worst-case scenario of gasoline averaging $6 a gallon, and an ownership of ten years, I calculated the SX-4 would save me $4500 +/-.
    You can correctly say they have similar mpg, but actually the Suzuki gets a bit better mileage than either the AWD Matrix or the Subaru Impreza. My overall mileage on my 2008 is 28.7 mpg.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,973
    we have concerns about ... the dealer network

"Little guys Suzuki and Mitsubishi demonstrated during the half why they might want to seriously consider the advice of some Japanese industry experts who advocate they get out of America. Suzuki's sales plummeted 60.2 percent; Mitsubishi's were off 50.9 percent."

Half-Time Scores: Winners Lose The Least; Subaru Ultimate Winner (AutoObserver)

It's funny, the other car that we're considering if we do the Cash for Clunkers deal is a Scion. Their sales were a tad worse than Suzukis. On the bright side, you won't see yourself coming and going all the time. :)
  • sunnyb1sunnyb1 Posts: 4
    Hi;

I saw your post and am considering an SX4 or a Nissan Cube. Just wanted to ask an SX4 owner - how do you like your car? Any problems? I went to a dealership today and was shocked to see $19,989 and that wasn't a touring pkg.

Do you ever fold the rear seats up? Any problems with that?

Any advice is appreciated!!
    Thank you,
    Sunny
  • I wrote in awhile ago to ask if people were getting decent mileage or not. Since then, my engine finally "broke in" and now I'm making 25-30 mpg. That was my biggest complaint about the SX4 Crossover. Other than a few little minor annoyances (like no MP3 jack or easy way to hook up my XM Radio), I love my Suzuki! It did awesome in the snow last year - didn't get stuck once. I have had no problems with it. We just drove 300 miles last weekend with 5 people in the car and it was surprisingly comfortable. The back seat is fairly roomy. I have only folded up the back seats a few times and that was mostly for a big grocery trip to Costco (everything fit). I have people come up to me all the time to ask what kind of car it is and how I like it. It is the perfect car for me.
  • perry99perry99 Posts: 43
    The car is great. The only negative is the poor gas mileage (which has been talked about a lot in the forums; I know that it's still decent for a 4WD vehicle). Note that I've found that the mileage is a lot worse with a lot of hilly driving. Positives: Ride is great - visibility is excellent - parking is easy - seats are comfortable, even on long trips. I've had a 2008 SX4 Crossover for almost 2 years now and no problems whatsoever have come up. I have put the seats up with no problem.
    Don't be shocked by what's on the sticker. You should never go by that. Find out the invoice pricing (from edmunds.com or kbb.com) and negotiate up from that, rather than down from the sticker price.
  • The SX4's reliability has been excellent during the short two years it's been on the market, but that is not enough to establish a long-term record. And, of course, an overall record of reliability may not apply to every individual car; there are exceptions to every rule. One person on this forum complained of some major problem, I forget what it was...
    Don't you dare pay anywhere close to $19,989 for the base model. I paid $20K for my Touring pkg, and I think I could have bargained them down further if I'd been more hard-nosed.
    I fold up the rear seats frequently. Never had a problem.
    All in all, I love the car.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    my chevy tracker(s) made by suzuki had a sensor on the dash that if it sensed it was getting dark it would turn on the interior lights and outside marker lights etc. I noticed the Grand vitara and XL-7 has this feature, but i couldnt findout if the SX-4 CrossOver has this as well.. i thought it was a really nice feature if multiple people drive your car. No need to tell them where the lights are, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY NOOOOOO worries about anyone leaving your lights on when parking somewhere.. i really like that. does the SX has this like the other suzukis do?
    here in sw PA the touring sx4 crossover is going for $18k
    Not one problem or adjustment with my 2008 Touring AWD. LIfetime mpg is nearly 29, and now that summer is here and the car is really broken in, I get 30 mpg with every tank.
    for your 30mpg are you going off of what the computer says you are getting or off of doing the math on a fill up? i ask cause a recent review i read said they got a average of 22 and most are around 22-25 (real world) not what the computer says. My motorcycle has a estimate mpg fuel calc on it. and it never adds up when i do the math verses what it is telling me im getting..
  • I'm calculating with the mileage driven divided by the number of gallons of gas I bought. I have never believed those instant mileage calculators - they're always off, sometimes by 10 mpg! BTW, during the winter, I was only getting 22 mpg city. This could be either a) crappy wintertime gas with ethanol and other additives or b) the engine hadn't "broken in" yet...or maybe both. Hopefully I will continue to make the good mileage this winter.